fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  1:56:42 PM  Show Profile
I haven't posted since the canning season had begun. I did buy the "small batch" canning book and the Ball big book. I have been having a blast doing all sorts of new things this year. Last night I pickled garlic. Yum I can't wait to try it. I have some frozen beef in the freezer that was grass feed and has too strong of a taste for me and is a little tough. I'm going to start the thawing process and can it into stew meet and soups

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  2:41:30 PM  Show Profile
I pickled 25 pounds of cucumbers this weekend, and chokecherry juice to make syrup, but I'll wait to can the syrup until I get the propane burner I ordered today. I'm too nervous about breaking my glass top stove and having to pay to replace it so I'm going to set up a "canning kitchen" in the garage and really get busy!

Farmgirl #579
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  06:29:57 AM  Show Profile
I think another location for canning would be wonderful. I know a woman once who had her canning opertaion with a special kitchen setup in her basement for canning. That way the mess was never in the real kitchen.

I did can the beef and made the "Beef in Wine Sauce" from the Ball big book. The whole house smelled so good

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  11:27:39 AM  Show Profile
Yum! 21 quarts and 4 pints of Apple Pie filling made with Ultra Gel.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Edited by - fudsy on Aug 20 2010 11:28:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

anna13mary
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Anna
Salem IN
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  1:06:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Angie, that was a huge help! I was taking notes and can't wait to get started.

**Anna~Mary**

Daddy never liked me playing in mud, but Mommy always just laughed and said "It won't hurt anything. She'll wash." Thanks Mom... Still playing in the dirt @ 27 and still loving it!
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  4:51:49 PM  Show Profile
I do most of my canning on the back porch. I can watch the pressure canner through the window in the door and all the heat stays outside! Dh is not appreciative of my ongoing efforts to air condition the outside air by leaving the doors open. lol

This weekend I will be getting about 80 pounds of peaches. Yes. I am nutso! Today I went out and picked some fresh blackberries and strawberries from the back yard. I am deciding on more jam or maybe some ice cream topping. Not sure just yet.

Oh and if anyone wants the compilation of the Ask Jackie column from Backwoods Home. I copied it all off the other day and put it into two word files. Just send me an email and I will send it to you. It's easier than going through every link on the website.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  08:10:50 AM  Show Profile
Your not nutso! I'm waiting for the free stone peaches to become available here. We seem to be a couple of weeks behind this year. My pears are still pretty small and the plums are now just starting to turn colors

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  12:53:48 PM  Show Profile
Everyone is making me very hungry. You girls are great. Mother Nature has a great sense of humor and a way of putting us in our place - this year my garden is a disaster - last year was just perfect - the year before I was driving all over the county with bushels of produce in the back of my truck trying to give it away. I won't be canning much of what was attempted in the garden, but that will not stop me. I will either buy produce or just can prepared meals. I AM ADDICTED.
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  5:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Angie I will email you for that site.

I did some peaches and what a hard time I had with the supposed freestones. I'm going to do more...I hope they are better. Hope yours are good for you.

Blessings,
Darlene
Sister 1922

The road to a friends house is never to long!
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  07:47:34 AM  Show Profile
This week has been a "power canning" week.

Monday was 14 pints of peaches and 6 pints of peach juice.
Tuesday was Dilly beans
Wednesday was gravenstien apples and an apple pie
Thursday and Friday were 150 lbs of tomatos. I now have my sauces, sesoned tomatos, and tomato soup for the year done.
Saturday was 79 lbs of tuna and 14 lbs Ling cod.

I get today off for Church and my nieces B-day party. Whew!!!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  3:35:11 PM  Show Profile
OK Lillian,

How may Red Bull's did you drink during the process? LOL

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  4:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Holy smokes...you need a vacation not only a day off. My peaches floated to the top. What did or didn't I do?

Blessings,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  5:22:55 PM  Show Profile
Today's total 40+ pints of dill pickles and 18+ pints of sweet pickle relish. I am taking a break before I start the 80+ pounds of peaches on the back porch. Making a fresh peach/blackberry crisp and chicken and dumplings for supper. I might have to take my chances and do the peaches after work tomorrow. At least it isn't 98 degrees. So that might help a little.

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  06:53:21 AM  Show Profile
my cucumbers didn't do so good this year so no relish or pickles for me I've been taking a break from canning and dehydrating carrots, cabbage, onions, zucchinis and celery from the garden

That is too funny- I made chicken and dumplings too! I think it was the cool rainy day that made me do it. One thing about our part of the country when the sun is out it's in the 90's but when it clouds over look out the 70's feel cold

My peaches have always floated so I'm of no help.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Edited by - fudsy on Aug 23 2010 06:56:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  10:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I don't know why they float. They still taste good. I'm suspicious of all those perfect blue ribbon peaches,down where they belong! LOL!

Blessings,
Darlene

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  05:29:38 AM  Show Profile
I did 13 pints of pears yesterday and I also have put up peaches in the freezer.
Our garden did not do well this year, but my in-laws had a really nice crop of the pears and peaches! Both will be good this winter.

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  06:23:43 AM  Show Profile
Never met a peach that didn't float! Yours are just fine.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  06:37:51 AM  Show Profile
I was told that the if the points of the moon are up your peaches will be at the top of the jar. If the points of the moon are down when canning, your peaches will be at the bottom of the jars. I know sometimes mine float and sometimes they sink but I never checked what phase the moon was in when I was canning to see if this is true or an old wives tail.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  06:55:57 AM  Show Profile
I just did you 7 pints of chicken and 26 quarts of chicken broth. Needless to say, the house was rather warm yesterday.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  06:59:26 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Laila...do you go to th Kutztown Produce Auction? I go frequently and have gotten many good buys.

I'm not going to worry about my floating peaches if everyone elses float too. Of all the years canning I never understood why they did or didn't!

Off to the fabric store for quilting material!

Blessings,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  07:56:15 AM  Show Profile
yes, I go to the Kutztown Produce auction. I live about 4 miles from it. I've gotten some good buys there also. 2 Weeks ago I bought 2 boxes of hot banana peppers. I thought it was a good deal (which it was) but I didn't realize how many peppers were in a box. We'll have hot peppers for a loooong time.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

PilgrimSoul
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Jessie
NJ
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  11:16:59 AM  Show Profile
Laila -- what will you do with the hot peppers? I just bought a basket at the farmer's market and realized that I have no idea what to do with them. We only really use hot peppers when I make Mexican food. Should I dehydrate them? Freeze them? Any guidance would be appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2010 :  5:18:09 PM  Show Profile
Today I canned up the peach BBQ sauce - recipe graciously provided from farmgirls. So yummy.

Also did peach pie filling, peach nectar, peach pepper jelly and canned up the sauerkraut I started last week.

I am little burned out on peaches this week! =)

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  06:43:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh I wish I could master Sauerkraut. But cabbage of any kind hates me unless I dry it or freeze it. :-(

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  09:58:35 AM  Show Profile
I did spaghetti sauce today.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning for the season Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page