True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  09:26:23 AM  Show Profile
Now what?

I have been on line checking out solutions and they are so varied!

10-perfectly lovely 1/2 jars of Damask Plum Jelly refused to jell for me yesterday....I followed the directions to a "T!"

Need advice please!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  10:08:11 AM  Show Profile
You can reprosses but my Grape jelly never did set with the double pectin and resealing.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  10:11:34 AM  Show Profile
You can always use your "thin" jelly as syrup over waffles or pancakes. I can understand being let down. I'm so sorry all your work left you unhappy.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  10:40:35 AM  Show Profile
Yup, syrup is great. The will think they hit the jackpot when you pull out some "cool" syrup for their pancakes.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
Drought ridden High Plains New Mexico
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  11:12:03 AM  Show Profile
Is it syrup-ey? Or is it just kind of runny? Sometimes my jelly turns out so nice and then I've had a few flops. I made 3 different batches of blueberry and one never did jell very well. It's was etible but runny. I think sometimes it had everything to do with the weather, barometric presure etc. Don't forget you can always make ice cream...OR add it to a muffins, pancakes, or make plum bread ( nice gift for the holidays). Don't be so discouraged like I said sometimes things like that just don't work right. If you want a recipe for "plum bread" I'll get you one.

Better luck next time

Reina

http://reinascountrykitchen.blogspot.com
http://icookinnewmexico.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  11:57:13 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes it takes a few days for my jelly to set. I leave it alone and don't shake or turn it, that can break the jell. Also, sometimes putting it in the fridge will firm it up some, but then you have to store it there.

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Your life is an occasion, rise to it. Mr. Magorium
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  07:23:46 AM  Show Profile
Did you use Sure-Jell? It can take up to 2 weeks to completely gel

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  07:42:57 AM  Show Profile
I have had jelly and jam take days to set. I was so upset at the 2 dozen jars I had made last month and not a single jar had set up. My DH was worried I'd just toss it jar and all cause I was throwin a real fit. Stompin, cussin, and refusin to touch a thing for the clean up. He put them in the basement to deal with later. Three days later he remembered the jars and went to get them and see if he could help. They had all set up! Every one was jelled to perfection!

If it hasn't set up in about a week or so, then try to reproccess it.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

pharmerlaura
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

13 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  4:29:48 PM  Show Profile
I find if you move the un-jelled jelly to a dark cool place it will set. I have also had my share of flops. I also find that using the powder pectin works way better then the liquid. Also made pepper jelly last week & we used no powder or liquid pectins. We made it out of apples,carrots,put lemon,peppers,both sweet & HOT. It turned out great!!
Some fruits if they are too ripe will not make good jelly.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  6:43:56 PM  Show Profile
I gathered all my utensils and started taking the jelly down from the cupboard this afternoon when to my amazement...noticed the jelly is GELLING! I will give it a week or so to make sure it is where it should be but it's not at all runny like it was yesterday.

--Patience, I must remember to be patient--

Thank you girls for all the words of encouragement and advice, I appreciate your thoughtfulness!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  08:48:06 AM  Show Profile
Melody - I am happy that it is gelling. It is so frustrating to put all that effort into something and it doesn't work out. If you ever have a runny batch just re-label it pancake syrup and noone will be the wiser. I made some blackberry jam this year that my family doesn't care for on bread. I just pour a jar into a sauce pan and heat it up for when we have pancakes.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  11:33:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for this topic, I made wild violet jelly this past summer. Some came out perfect and other batches made the exact same way didn't gel, but delicious all the same. Rebatching it didn't work either, and I found that over time the bright pinkish purple color turned to a dusty pink. Anyway, it was great fun making it, very interesting. I never got to do anything with rhubarb this year, oh well, there's always next year.
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  11:40:49 AM  Show Profile
Angela, that's hilarious ! I did the same thing, I was so aggravated & my hubby tried to calm me down, but it is frustrating especially when I strained my back picking stuff to put up and all the hard work and expense for jars, sugar, pectin, etc, when it doesn't turn out well I just want to spit. Especially when I follow a recipe to a "T" and do exactly what it recommends, sometimes it just doesn't do what it's suppose to. I've tried the darn sourdough bread batter three times and finally just had to give up on it.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Jelly didn't Jell Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page