fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  10:33:40 AM  Show Profile
I haven't started canning yet this season. We ate all the spinach and didn't keep any for canning :-) We have had such a wet/cool spring I would normally be getting ready to can beets. I need to do pickled green beans again this year. I use Pomona's pectin for my fruits. You use much less sugar and really get the true fruit flavor.

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

Jackie Ferri
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Jacqueline
Trumbull CT
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  8:19:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,

Thanks for the tips. I did turn the jars over but the fruit traveled the opposite way. Maybe the fruit was too ripe. I will try again! I also want to try the cherry pie filling recipe for canning that I got from this page! I've been reading my Ball canning book to review their tips and am also getting inspired to try different recipes too! I'll let you know my results soon!

Jackie
Farmgirl Sister #1664

Resourceful Creative Organized Mom
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  9:17:28 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone - I'm sorry for being away so long - my computer was very ill and has just returned from having major surgery.

DebbieSue - I pressure can chili and soups for about 75 min.

If anyone wants the mock zuchini recipe, I posted it last year and would be happy to do that again.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  9:22:18 PM  Show Profile
This past week, I went to the berry fields and picked 12 pounds of blueberries, 30 pounds of blackberries, and a couple quarts of raspberries. So far I have made blueberry pie filling, blueberry syrup and blueberry butter (Blueberry Bonanza recipe), and whole blackberries. Of course, we have eaten quite a few and I did freeze a few blueberries. Now I'm desperate. I really want to can blackberry pie filling, but can not find a recipe anywhere. Is it done the same as blueberries or strawberries? I just picked 20 pounds today and other than syrup and cordial, what can I do? No freezer room.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  06:29:52 AM  Show Profile
Shirly, I just can my blackberries and use for pies later. Works just fine, if you want you can use the juice mixed with cornstarch for a part of the filling.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  07:02:44 AM  Show Profile
Weel I finally did it! Used my pressure canner. it was great no problems. I did 7 qts of whole tomatoes and 7 pints of tomato with zucchinni! Turned out great. Thanks all for the positive advice ans encouragement!

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  07:11:18 AM  Show Profile
I never try canning before but heard it so much I want to give it a try. I am a little bit intimidate with the whole process. Afraid I will waste the produce. I want to can tomato first. Maybe one day I will.
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  7:34:16 PM  Show Profile
I wanted to can some peaches, here I am in GA, should be a cinch right? I cant find anyone to sell me peaches by the crate. I am certain Ive stopped at every solitary roadside stand but no luck! So far for spring Ive done my strawberry jam, still have a little muscadine left from last year to get through though. I love the cantaoupe idea, Ive been collecting any and all old canning books I can find and have gotten lots of good ideas.

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  9:30:43 PM  Show Profile
Annie - Please do not wait any longer. Canning is great fun and so rewarding. Just follow the directions in the canning books and you will be fine. Common sense and cleanliness is the secret to success.

Sarah - Peaches are a cinch. You can do great things with them. Once you do the basic cold pack (my preference over hot pack), you will want to do variations like pickled peaches, brandied peaches, peach conserves, etc. Do you have a packing house anywhere within driving distance? That's where I get mine. I do have to drive about 1 hour to get there, but it is well worth it.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  06:34:14 AM  Show Profile
MMMM......Peach butter is one of my favorites. It is especially good in homade yogurt.

Didn't can yesterday,but I loaded up the dehydrator. The poor thing was loaded up with broccoli, potatos and garlic scapes. I will throw on another load of potatos today. Tomorrow I will be getting raspberries so they will be made into cheesecake/icecream topping and if I can get my hands on enough black caps then there will be black raspberry jam too.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  07:02:05 AM  Show Profile
Hey all you fellow farmgirl canners. I started a new homemade jam/jelly swap in the farmgirl swap forum! Please go sign up and swap some of your yummy jams or jellies!

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  4:36:07 PM  Show Profile
Just finished canning carmelized red onions with red wine & balsamic vinegar, got 5 half pints. Will be yummy on homemade pizzas this winter, thinking with blue cheese & walnuts or roasted chicken. Kitchen smelled wonderful when the wine was simmmering, though has that stinky onion half-life now. Guess it is a good thing we do not have AC and all winows are open to air.

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  5:21:12 PM  Show Profile
Mmm, that sounds so good Jennifer!! Where was your recipe from?
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  5:36:06 PM  Show Profile
The Complete Book of Small Batch Preserving. I like it because it has some funky recipes not found in The Ball Blue Book (my other canning book) plus since it is just me & DH quantities are smaller. I learned size down after overdoing it with jam one year. Many recipes make just a few cups of end product, perfect for a canning up to a half dozen jars. Link is pasted below - on Amazon you can look at the index for recipes.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Small-Batch-Preserving-Year-Round/dp/1554072565

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  5:46:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, I actually have that cookbook - just went and put a bookmark in that page. I collect cookbooks and read them all but because I have so many I sometimes forget (okay, alot of times forget) where I saw recipes. I'm working on a system for that but haven't come up with a good one yet. Anyway, so excited that I have the recipe already, and I'm growing red onions too!! Thank you!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Jul 03 2010 5:46:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  10:58:01 AM  Show Profile
I have that book also and it is great one for different recipes. I really get tired of canning the same things year after year and have found this one and The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest to be great to own.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  11:03:07 AM  Show Profile
Heather - I use the same recipe for all berries - for each pint of berries, mix 1/3 C sugar, a pinch of salt, 2 Tbls water, 1 Tbls lemon juice and 1 Tbsp of cornstarch (or therm-flo or clear-jel) in a saucepan. Add the berries and bring to a boil. Boil for 1-2 min until clear and slightly thickened, stirring carefully to avoid crushing the berries. If you do not like the seeds or chunks of berries in yours, simply press the mixture through a colander lined with cheesecloth. Seal in a waterbath for 10 min.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  9:38:03 PM  Show Profile
I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July. I managed to sqeeze in the time to get my Blackberry Pie Filling canned and still have enough to make some Cordial. I'll be doing that in the next couple of days. I found a couple of recipes on the internet, but if any of you has a tried and true recipe - please share it.
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  05:36:32 AM  Show Profile
I am planning to can for the first time this year, what is the difference between the two canners is one better then the other.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  07:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Jill- I am assuming you want to know the difference between pressure canning and boiling water bath canning? Pressure canning is for your low acid foods like veggies, meat, soup, and sauces.
The boiling water bath method is for high acid foods like jelly (jam), tomatos, fruit and pickled foods. Here is a great resource or you to look at: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

Also the ball canning book is available everywhere, between these two places you should have everything to help you on you way. Please do follow the guideling for safe canning, alot of people don't and do it their way and run the risk of illness to themselves and others.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  2:32:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey, can anyone recommend a tomato ketchup/catsup receipe? I am planning for 'mater season already and this will be my first attempt at condiments. I have the big hardover Ball book & the Small Batch Preserving book (see above posts). They both have ketchup recipes but want your 2 cents as to which one is better.

Jill-I agree, get the Ball book and follow it to a T and you will be good. Also look up your local county extension office online, they are a great resource. Every state has one.

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  06:51:39 AM  Show Profile
Last year I made ketchup from the big ball book of preserving and it was very good. Since I made a double batch and there are only the 2 of us most of the time I won't have to make any this year. By the way their pizza sauce recipe is great too.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  07:31:07 AM  Show Profile
I picked my rhubarb this morning and see I can do a waterbath. But*** what can I do with the canned rhubard?

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  07:48:03 AM  Show Profile
I have made chutney and barbeque sauce from rhubarb - but I canned them as chutney and barbeque sauce, don't know about canning straight rhubarb. I guess you could use the canned rhubarb to make a sauce for ice cream. The bbq sauce was really good on pork - it's in the bigger Ball canning book.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  08:03:58 AM  Show Profile
Yum the BBQ sauce sounds great. I'll have to check and see if the local Library has that book. I just have the regular ball blue book

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning for the season Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page