Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  5:06:14 PM  Show Profile
I love canning up things like soups, sauces and chili Melissa. Ask around and you may well find a pressure canner that someone isn't using (ask older gals first!) just as long as you have the instruction manual or can find one online you are good to go. You can get the gauge checked at any home extension office. My favorite canning book is Jackie Clay's book on canning. It is available on the Backwoods Home magazine website. IT is awesome...and covers just about anything you want to grow yourself and can as well as canning alot of convenience foods. She is just a total canning guru and I love her recipes.
have fun!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Calico Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Meg
Middle Tennessee
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  06:16:41 AM  Show Profile
I love this thread. I took a great canning course at the county extension office this spring that helped me lose some of the fear of the pressure canner. But so far this year I've only made jam, strawberry and blackberry. I am hoping to get to apply that new found knowledge of a pressure canner soon!
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  07:09:20 AM  Show Profile
This past week I made 4 berry jam, 3 berry jam and strawberry jam. I runout of space to put stuff away, but usually find somewhere. I don't have a cellar, but I don't wat my jar rings to rust anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  12:53:40 PM  Show Profile
Right now in the canner I have 7 cups of Strawberry juice!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  7:07:31 PM  Show Profile
Beth, last year I found a recipe for zuke relish-I thought it was on this sight? I'd have to check-it is really good.

So far this year I have only canned asparagus-for the first time. I have to admit I was pleasantly suprised at how good it was. Not soggy at all, good and crunchy. I think it's called pickled? can't remember. I'm getting ready to do my rhubarb. Probably a strawberry rhubarb jam and pancake syrup. I need to can some chicken that's in the freezer and some homegrown sausage patties, but the hay is ready as soon as we get some dry weather So I will probably put it off for a while.

All of creation sings Your praise!
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  7:52:03 PM  Show Profile
The strawberries are starting to come in here so I can start canning, Hooray
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  07:07:20 AM  Show Profile
I have a pressure canner that I used years ago. I want to start using it again, but I seem to recall reading that the rubber gasket needs to be replaced every once and a while. The canner & gasket are about 23 years old. Any ideas on how often they should be replaced? Thank you!

Lida
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  08:03:38 AM  Show Profile
Lida - not sure how often, but if it has been quite a while since you used the canner I would definitely replace it and have the pressure gauge checked. I always forget how easy pressure canning is - it seems so intimidating but then it is really less work than water bath canning. You just have to pay attention to detail!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  03:20:03 AM  Show Profile
Amy Grace- Thank you for the reply. When all of the kids were little I didn't have time to do much canning, so I got used to freezing many things. Now I want to free up freezer space by canning soups and other foods that have a combination of high and low acid foods.

I will Google my pressure canner to find where to get a new gasket. I need to do that now, before the time comes to use it and then run out of time to get it!

Lida
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  07:04:13 AM  Show Profile
As far as zucchinni goes, it is not canning, but I dehydrate a lot of it, then throw it in soups all winter. When I make spaghetti sauce I thicken it with pureed veggies, mostly zukes, carrots, onion. It gives it a good taste and cuts the acidity of the tomatoes. Pressure cooker though.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  09:51:29 AM  Show Profile
I have a pressure canner, I bought a a tag sale. It came with the instruction book and all but for some reason i am soooooo afraid of it. It doesn't have the gasket, it is the kind that doesn't need it. I just can't seem to over come the fear of blowing up my kitchen!! Any advice, or something really easy to pressure can?

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  10:18:23 AM  Show Profile
Angie just jump right in!! I was scared to death to use a pressure canner and only water bathed for years until my DH told me he wanted to can tuna and I needed to get a pressure canner. After a bit of research and the purchase of my canner (All-American, probably what you have) we went to the docks and brought back 3 tuna, I spent the whole day canning and afraid something would go wrong. Needless to say I worried for nothing! My canner excedded my expectations. I now own 2 pressure canners and spent the winter putting up beans (baked, navy, black, pinto and kidney) soup, and pork. My only problem now is I regret waiting so long to give it a try.

Lillian

PS.. if that canner needs a good home I have one for it!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  7:10:26 PM  Show Profile
Angie - get a Ball Blue Book and read the pressure canning section. Then if you follow the instructions for your canner and those in the book you are good to go!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  8:27:39 PM  Show Profile
I just received an order of the Tattlers canning lids (the lids are reuseable) Can't wait to try them! Right now I have nothing to can, as I am not a big jelly person (unless I could chop off & can my belly!)
I'll give a full report once I try them!
Go to Top of Page

TeaPriestess
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Dionne
Duluth Georgia
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  8:40:30 PM  Show Profile
Wow! You ladies are really inspiring! I've only done 2 batches of strawberry jam and pickles so far. I'll be doing some blueberry jam for the first time but all this talk about soups has made me want to borrow my friend's pressure canner. Keep the ideas coming!

"Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world."- Tien Yiheng
Yay I'm Farmgirl Sister #1690!
Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  07:50:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the extra courage! I am going to try it today!!! Will let you know how it goes!!

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  11:59:08 AM  Show Profile
Re: Canning chili.....
Shirley...I have a question! When you make the extra soups and chili.....you said you can what is left. How long is it in the canner? I always have extra left and would like to try canning it.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  1:01:48 PM  Show Profile
please send me the recipe for the mulberry syrup!

I've been living in NYC small apartment for 10 years, at the end of this summer we are moving to a wildlife preserve in Kansas, (my dad's!) and he has a TON of mulberry trees. I LOVE LOVE LOVE mulberries. But with the amount of trees he has no way we could eat them all in the season. So I would love to have the recipe.

Also believe it or not I could make it here in NYC we are surrounded by mulberry trees, but my husband thinks their fruit is poisoned by all the pollution here in the city. Especially the trees at walmart parking lot, where Mr. Softee sits with the truck on for hours right under the mulberry tree! lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  3:06:36 PM  Show Profile
I had my pressure dial tested and it came back in perfect condition. The canner is a All-American and most say that it is a good brand. Needless to say I am pushing forward with my pressure canning. Will update with progress!

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  7:09:57 PM  Show Profile
Georgia- You Go Girl!!! It will be a good experience I am sure!

Girls- Please do remember that if you are canning soups, stews and salsas that are your own recipes and are not USDA tested for acidity, you run the risk of bacteria (Botulism) lingering in your jars and the result can be deadly. I know that there will me some out there that disagree with me and that is fine, just remember there is that risk out there.

Lillian

Edited by - Ms.Lilly on Jun 19 2010 7:11:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jackie Ferri
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Jacqueline
Trumbull CT
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  7:19:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone!

I've canned strawberry, blueberry jams, peach jam and made orange marmalade before. The only one I've had problems with sometimes was the strawberry jam. After the water bath and they're sitting on the counter until they're cool, the strawberries will start to float on top! What went wrong? Can someone help me fix this problem for the next time? Also, do you all use pectin to jell your jams, or do you cook it for a long time? Looking to can soon.

Farmgirl #1664

Resourceful Creative Organized Mom
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  8:47:32 PM  Show Profile
I use pectin and follow the directions inside the box.
As far as the strawberries coming to the top...it may help if you turn the jars upside down when you take them from the water bath, maybe leave them like that a couple hours, the turn them right side up. Could be the fruit is over ripe... this is what I do, and it helps! Good Luck! Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  8:56:53 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes mashing them up a little more helps too. I use pectin and usually the recipes on the box as well. I like the taste to be a little fresher...and to me the jam cooked a long time tasted more cooked I guess. I do the same as Debbie and usually turn the jars over for awhile. I only leave mine for about 15 min. though. I guess I only do it because my grandma did haha.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

justbe
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Kris
Garland Texas
USA
48 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  06:40:27 AM  Show Profile
I just wanted to thank each of you for the support and encouragement. I made peach jam yesterday for the first time!!! Looks like it set correctly and everything. Having cheerleaders like you gals helped me conquer my fears. Trying to decide what to do next. Thanks
Kris

Kris

“Not all those who wander are lost.”
- J. R. R. Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  10:20:39 AM  Show Profile
Have any of you ever tried 'canteloupe preserves'...? I did last year and it was a hit with a few people......They have asked to make more this year...so guess I will try it again!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning for the season Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page