Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  2:09:10 PM  Show Profile
Canning season has started for me. I canned asparagus last week, the end of the season for that, and I made mulberry syrup today. Every year I look forward to canning new items and by the end of summer I wonder why I ever started.

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  2:21:15 PM  Show Profile
Yup me too. I didn't can my asparagas, but froze it instead. Any way that marks the start of the season for me......next should be strawberries!!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:30:35 PM  Show Profile
MMMM I love canning season!! Can't wait:)

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  06:57:51 AM  Show Profile
Haha, I can relate! I am always soooooooo excited to start canning and then by week 2 into it, I am sooooooooo done! :)

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  3:23:01 PM  Show Profile
this is going to be my first time canning and I'm super excited about it!
dana

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  3:56:05 PM  Show Profile
Did raspberry jam, mixed berry jam, dark cherries, cherry juice, and plain canned raspberries last week. Must admit I canned soups, chicken, beef chunks, hamburger and chili over the winter. Guess I haven't had a start and finish this past year. I look forward to being able to get more done this summer! It's nice to know what is in our food rather than buying prepared stuff from the store. We are slowly going away from store bought!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  4:01:26 PM  Show Profile
Angie, I too canned over the winter. There is something always to be canned in my mind! I always "start" my canning season in the spring, it makes me happy.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  8:10:47 PM  Show Profile
I've been doing jelly. Violet, rose, mt dew, rootbeer, and in a few days, mulberry. I'll be doing them off and on all year though for the farmers market.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  9:00:52 PM  Show Profile
angela mt dew? root beer? what are you doing? happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  9:45:34 PM  Show Profile
So far this month all I have canned are dandelion jelly (lots) and strawberry jam. MUCH more to come though. I do more canning in August and Sept than any other months..but do some every month. Even in winter I can up soups and meats when I can.I just love cannng so much.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  10:57:30 AM  Show Profile
OHHHHhh I do like this thread...Keep it going! I love to see what all you ladies can because it gives me ideas! I have put up strawberry preserves and carrots (that I got on sale) so far! I had a person tell me I could go get all the blackberrys I wanted this morning! I can't wait to gather some of those. He wants some black-eyed peas when they are ready in our garden! We do a lot of trading fruits and veggies all summer long!
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  11:01:12 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, How do you make dandelion jelly???? I have never heard of it!! I have made canteloupe preserves before! They were good...!! Sold them at the Farmer's Market, and people asked for more!
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  1:16:05 PM  Show Profile
I have grape and blackberry and cherry that did not set Can I re do them?
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  2:16:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey Debbie..there is a post somewhere here in the kitchen section where I put the recipe for the dandelion jelly...not hard once you pick the flowers. My kids love to gather the flowers for me..and we have had quite a "crop" this year...and then I make the jelly. Let me know if you can't find the post with the recipe and I will repost it. Have fun!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  4:13:41 PM  Show Profile
I canned over the winter too - lemon curd, marmalade, and beer mustard all for gifts, so I didn't really ever "end" but there is something about starting to harvest in early summer and canning that just get's me:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

gardenmouse
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Beth
Porterville CA
USA
24 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  2:51:59 PM  Show Profile
I've been canning for two weeks now when I'm not at my job. So far I've made two batches of strawberry jam, and four batches of cherry jam. Oh, and I dehydrated five trays of cherries, and made a fresh cherry cobbler. I've about had enough of cherries. Next weekend I'll have green beans from the garden to can. Later on cucumbers will be ready to make into Virginia Sweet Chunk Pickles (an old recipe from a Blue Book that belonged to my mom). And red bell peppers for Sweet and Hot Pepper Relish. Need to find something to do with zuchinni!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine7
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

nikki
Northern wyoming
USA
25 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  4:25:34 PM  Show Profile
So "green" with envy with you gals canning cherries and fresh beans from the garden> Living in the high country where the snow just melted!! I am canning rhubarb/strawberry jam. Interested in the dandelion recipe too!!!Love hearing about all of the yummy recipes!!!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  05:16:50 AM  Show Profile
I came acrossed a recipe for pickled zuchinni and you can add it in to the pickled hot mix veges as well. My grandma says they make good lime pickles as well. Not sure about the recipe, she's lookin for it for me. I so miss her lime pickled pear and apple slices. Think sweet pickle flavor, the kind made with lemon juice, and a wonderful lime aftertaste with just a hint of pear or apple. I think the texture of pear is best for these, but I'd take anything after bein without them for nearly 9 years now!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  08:34:17 AM  Show Profile
Diana, I did last year - just opened the jars, brought to a boil and added more pectin. Worked great.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  09:49:04 AM  Show Profile
I love hearing what everyone is doing. During the winter, when I make a pot of chili or soup, I always double the recipe and can what is not eaten within a couple of days. That way I always have some on hand. It will be a while before my garden will have anything else to can. I can't freeze too much - Power goes out too often and I only have one freezer now. Wow - I wish I had neighbors to trade with. I get corn each year, but that's it. The only neighbor has eggs, but no garden and I have eggs, so no trading there.

I just want to say to the new comers to canning - You will love it, I'm sure. Keep us posted on how things are going.
Go to Top of Page

Kerbear
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Kerry
Middle Tennessee
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  8:40:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness! I want to can so badly! I am determined to find my supplies this week and read up! I have never seen it done. You girls are so inspiring, yall have already canned so much!
I froze cherries this weekend, does that count?

~Kerry Anne
Farmgirl Sister #975
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  2:51:04 PM  Show Profile
Re: Zucchini - last year I found a USDA recipe for Faux Pineapple Zucchini on recipezaar.com - made a bunch of it, as zucchini is something I always overplant! It's not bad... I can post it if you'd like?

While it's not canning, I find that if I run zucchini through my Salad Shooter or food processor and shred it up, I can then put it in ziploc bags pressed thin, maybe 1/2", and freeze. They stack well and the best part is that I can reach in a break off a big piece of it and toss it into the skillet when I'm making many types of skillet meals - or spaghetti, lasagna, anything! It even works well for Zucchini-Chocolate cake, which is DELICIOUS and very low fat.

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." -CS Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  9:31:46 PM  Show Profile
Canned fresh cherries from my in-laws for the first time. They look so good I want to open a can and eat them up! :-)

farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert
Go to Top of Page

Butterscotch Grove
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Melissa
Fairbanks AK
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  10:23:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! I love the idea of canning extra chilli or soup in winter (it always ends up in our freezer...for too long). Never thought of doing that. But do you need a pressure canner? I only have a water bath one.

Melissa

My blog:

http://ButterscotchGrove.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  10:59:13 AM  Show Profile
Melissa
You DEFINITELY need a pressure canner when doing anything other than high acid foods. A water bath will not get hot enough
You can find one fairly reasonbly on Amazon.
Go to Top of Page

Butterscotch Grove
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Melissa
Fairbanks AK
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  2:56:47 PM  Show Profile
That's what I thought...I think I'll check around for a local one first, but it's good to know I could get one from Amazon. Thanks!
Melissa

My blog:

http://ButterscotchGrove.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning for the season Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page