Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  3:55:48 PM  Show Profile
I have a sewing machine and I would say I am a (very,very) beginner at sewing.
I have thread and hoops of different sizes. I don't have any muslin or felt but I will get some. I think I have all the other supplies I'll need.

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  4:45:05 PM  Show Profile
Caron,
Hold off for a little bit, and I'll make up a practice book, without the embroidery of course! I'll save that for the real thing!!!
I'll figure out how much we will need of the felt, I guess we won't need the muslin or the old sewing machine after all. I think the first thing I should be asking all of you is how many stitches do you want to do in the book? Should we do more than one stitch per page? We could do two or three. That would keep the cost down. Everybody let me know what you think!

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

"No matter where you go . . . there you are."
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  6:32:02 PM  Show Profile
Carmen,
I just have to tell you, I have this vision of you standing in huge fields of tulips, with a windmill in the distance behind you. Just like pictures I have seen of Holland. Are those wooden shoes you are wearing? Ok, I am getting tired, and when I'm tired I get silly! I'll talk to you soon. Take care, and so glad you joined us.
Julie

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  6:38:30 PM  Show Profile
Carmen,
I just wanted to remind you and all the other ladies joining us to fill out the bio. This will be helpful when we are trying to remember and sort out who is who as we see the names on the postings. I know many of you were really good about doing that when you first posted, but if it is all in one place on the bio page, we can all easily refer back to that page and refresh our memories. I'm sure eventually we will remember it all as we get to know each other, but for now, it is kind of like having everyone wear a name tag at the first meeting. It will help me, that is for sure! Have a great night!

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

bellagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Carmen
Holland MI
USA
129 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  7:16:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julie,
I like the felt pages idea for our books and agree that two or three stitches per page would be very nice.

As a matter of fact there are over 500,000 tulips planted along the main streets. That doesn't count the major parks, personal yards, or both tulip farms which have over 1 million each. I don't have any this year because we are changing the landscape. But watch out next year. No I don't have wooden shoes....too hard on the old bones! LOL I love to garden bare foot.

Now how and where do I find this bio area? Remember I'm slow on the computer.

Good night and God bless,
Sisterhood Farm girl #1443
CArmen

Blessings from Heaven and Earth
Go to Top of Page

jeannie max
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  01:43:53 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Everyone--Brian sent me news that I am officially in this group!!!!! Now------where do I post the bio???? What exactly do you want to know ??? How did I miss this information ?? Must be trying to do things too fast as usual :) Can't wait to get started-I am almost finished embroidering my badge-but, don't ask me to post it--cause I don't know how :( Let's just say that if it was a line-I stitched it !! And, added buttons. Now have to finish a backing with a border--not sure how to do this---but I'll come up with something :) Have a great day everyone-jeannie

Come and share a pot of tea. My home is warm and my friendship free.
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  09:02:32 AM  Show Profile
Ok, here is how you do it. You go to the page where you can click on chatting in our usual spot or to the henhouses, I think it is under farmgirl chapters or something. It is up higher to the top of the page than where we have been clicking for posting. After you click on the henhouses link, find Hanging By A Thread, and click on bios. When you are on bios click on start a new topic, and enter your info, anything you want. This is where everyone will kind of be introduced to you formally, so put in whatever you want us to know about you. Right now there are four bios, you can click and read them. for the subject line you can put hello, hi there, new girl, or anything you want. Then type in the box all you want to say, and submit! You're done!!!

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  09:10:36 AM  Show Profile
Carmen,
Actually to all of you, don't worry about being slow on the computer. I am terrible. I actually worked on the computer doing medical transcription, but I pretty much could only do what I needed to do for the job. I even have a hard time posting pictures. For some reason when I am on my son's laptop I can do it, but on my own it just doesn't go through. Must be some different program installed. I suspect quite a few of us are not the generation raised on computers, so we will all be a little technology challenged at times, if not always.
Anyhow, if any of you want to and are able to post pictures, of anything you want, I would love to see them. Family, flowers, gardens, animals, and of course stitchery projects. I would even enjoy seeing a birthday cake for someone special. My granddaughter's birthday is today, 7, and I might just snap a pic and try to post her with her cake.
Carmen, feel free to send pics of tulips. Especially pink ones!!! My favorite color. I'm disappointed about the wooden shoes though. I do relate to loving being barefoot out there, but I always have dandelions, ouch. We are not spraying this year for weeds because I got chickens, and I don't want to poison them. Also I don't want it to seep into the ground, as I have tons of gardens! Have a great day everyone!

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

jeannie max
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  6:07:28 PM  Show Profile
Caron--have no fear--I have written to Brian Ogle so many times, I can almost hear the groan every time he has to bail me out of something I have done wrong on this computer. I told him he deserves a "crown" in heaven----so, rest a sure-----you are not the only one who has trouble with it. Take care !!!! jeannie

Go to Top of Page

bellagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Carmen
Holland MI
USA
129 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  6:35:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julie,

A friendly neighbor (90 yrs old) told me to put kosher salt on weeds, they will die. So being kind of wary of the idea I gave it a shot. It works! I found if I pierce the root first, it works even better.

Carmen
Farm girl #1443

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  7:00:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh Carmen, you saved me a lot of trouble. I was out working in the garden today and I can't believe how many dandelions are in there. Even the prickly ones. This is my front yard flower bed, which is on both sides of a winding walkway of brick, really cute. One side is about 5 feet wide, the other about 9, and it winds around 20 feet at least. It doesn't seem so big until you start weeding it. Thank you very much, I will try it, and it sounds like it is organic! I just did sticks today, and old growth from last year. Tomorrow it was going to be weeds, and then the next day leaves. It is just too much to do in one day. I will take a picture when it is done and show you all my work! Thanks again.

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  07:14:53 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ladies. I would love to join this Hen House. I do some needle work but, it was cross stitch and needle point so I am not sure about the embrodiery. If it is ok to be included I will email Brian and join. Am I behind because I am not sure what you are working on now.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

bellagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Carmen
Holland MI
USA
129 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  08:03:15 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning to All,

Julie, be sure you don't water because the salt will wash away. We also did this on an old tree stump. It took most of the summer but if finally disinagrated.
I am writing up a recipe journal for all natural tips and tricks in cleaning the house and working in the yard. I would like to pass it down in the generations. Does anyone know of a good furniture cleaner or polish? I have wood upper cabinets in the kitchen. They get so dusty and dirty. All ideas are welcome.

Also I posted my bio....beware I can rattle on and on and on...
My furry children are begging to go to the park so guess I'd better get a move on.

Hugs,
Carmen
Farm girl #1443

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  08:38:41 AM  Show Profile
Delicia,
We are so glad you are going to join us. You have probably done as much embroidery as most of us, don't worry. If you have done cross stitch and needlepoint, you are in the right place! Actually if you haven't done any you could still be in the right place. We are all here to learn. A couple of us are more experienced, but most of us just love to work with a needle and thread and want to learn more. I am holding off on starting the first project (if that project is what everybody wants to do) a little bit until we get everybody all signed up and ready. That way we won't have as many people behind. Even if they do get behind though, that's ok. We are a low-stress, no worry henhouse. I think we have enough to worry about in our lives without adding more. All the projects will be optional. If you have time and want to join in, do it! If not, pass on it and maybe do the next one. Either way you can hopefully learn something by reading the posts and pick up some tips and pointers.
I love your name, by the way!
If you can, go check on the page where you fill out the bio and read the recommended books or whatever that part was called. I wrote about a book called Sublime Stitching Embroidered Effects. It is one I picked up at JoAnn Fabrics with a 40% coupon. To me it was worth the money. There are also lots of things free online for embroidery instruction.
Please read back through all the five pages of posts so far. There is some stuff in there that would be helpful to you, like about a hoop I found really helpful, about signing up for JoAnns for 40% coupons, and how you can shop online. Other people commented on Michaels coupons, and I know every other week Hobby Lobby has one you can print out online for 40% off too. If you read them all you will no doubt pick up something helpful that I will forget to tell you!
As far as the embroidery book project, so far it seems like everyone wants to make that for our first project. I'll get together a list of supplies and make a practice one to make sure it goes smoothly first though.
Welcome, welcome, welcome, and don't worry. We are all here to learn and have fun! There are all really nice ladies that have joined here, you will see!

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  08:46:06 AM  Show Profile
Carmen,
I was looking into homemade "green" cleaners, and so far have recipes for laundry soaps, window cleaners, the easy stuff, but I do remember seeing somewhere a recipe for furniture polish. I'll try to find it. I am holding off on the salt today because it looks like rain right now. I almost wish it would hurry up and rain, then I don't have to go out and start on the weeds. I'm so bad, shame on me. They will be there waiting for me the next week and probably twice as many, so I should just go do it. Have a great day.

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  08:47:39 AM  Show Profile
Weeding.... I would need a truckload of salt to contain the weeds in my yard! I bought this all natural product from Gardens Alive called Iron X. You spray it on and it kills the weeds. Only problem it kills the plant and sends the dandillions to seed. I sent my girls out to dead head them. I need to do a 2nd spraying. I know many here eat dandillion greens, but living in the city you can't.

I'm trying to get ready for a camping trip. I hope to get my stitching together so I can start at it again. I hope to be able to share some pictures as well. So excited we have more joining us!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

bellagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Carmen
Holland MI
USA
129 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  12:41:11 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like we are getting a very sweet bunch of hens in this group.
Delicia is a beautiful name, never heard it before, and welcome to he group.

I made laundry soap yesterday and had a ball. Loved the smell. Next I want to try hand soaps, but need a recipe first. Here I go again.....

My neighbor gave me a small spring hoop, so tonight I plan to work on the sister chick badge. Question....do we just embrodier (spelling?) then sew it down to jacket, tote, etc? Or do we add a bit of batting and cover the back first?

Cool (55) and sunny here, with rain on the way. At least it didn't rain on the kids parade. All the local school children dress in Dutch costumes, decorate the bikes and wagons, 6 area school bands play, plus childrens theme floats. It's my favorite of the 3 parades.

Carmen
Farm girl #1443

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  12:57:03 PM  Show Profile
Carmen,
From what I have read, briefly looking it over, I think you can do whatever you want with it. I have an idea, why don't you hold off on sewing it to something, just go ahead and embroider it if you like, but let's ask all the ladies in our henhouse to come up with ideas and suggestions on how to display the badges. Some do it on a jacket, some a wallhanging. I was even thinking of an apron, maybe on the top part of the apron. At least for me. I love aprons, and this could be my "trophy apron" so to speak, and I would hang the apron off the bakers rack in the kitchen. What does everybody else think about how to display the badges? Let's hear your ideas. Think out of the box. I do love them on a denim jacket, but before I do that I want to really think about it. Hmmm. . . . maybe even a pillow.
By the way, we do have a really nice group of ladies. The newest gal, Delicia, was very helpful in offering help to someone in a bind with their mortgage. I thought she was very sweet. I looked back on some posts and found the posts where she helped the lady. Someone was losing their house and she offered to help, as she is or was a mortgage banker. How nice! Gotta love farmgirls, right? I'm proud to be associated with women like that!!

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  1:42:25 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for welcoming me. I will go and sign up and check my bio to be sure it is somewhere. I went back and looked at the pages where people had earned their badges and there were some that had done the embroidery and they looked great. I just like to see what some have worked on and there are some very talented people here. I am also using the green cleaners. I have the laundry detergent dry and am loving it, have made the carpet deodorizer and it worked well, I am trying to find liquid castille soap so I can make the soft scrub, the only cleaner that I have not cared for was the dishwasher detergent and we have really hard water and my dishes came out like there was a film on them. I also tried putting in the lime koolaid that some one recommended and it was still not that great so I gave up on that. My fathers name was Delza so my mom played around until she came up with me and my name. I do like it because it is so different and I never hardly use my last name but, being from the South when I go home my whole family uses my middle name too.
delicia gail
Go to Top of Page

jeannie max
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  5:11:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone--totally out it of it right now-just got back from epidural at hospital--but wanted to let you all know that Joanne Fabrics has lots of hot iron transfers-if you can't do MJ's, and the hopsacking towels also. They said as long as it was of comparable difficulty--no problem-you did NOT have to do MJ's --LOTS of good ones--did NOT find the book Julie recommended-but you can find others & lots of things free online. ALSO, neither Joannes or Michaels carry 'wool' felt--think it may have to be ordered. They did have lots of polyester colors though. Okay--going to bed--unbelieveably tired.
Love jeannie #1420

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  6:00:21 PM  Show Profile
Delicia,
I have one side of the family from the south, and I love how they use the middle name thing. I always thought my one cousin's name was StevieJoe, actually Stephen Joseph, who knew. My dad was Bobby Joe, my grandma Ina Pearl, one favorite great aunt MyrtleLee. I actually have named my chickens after some of the aunts. Here we go, chicken names . . . Lucy, Ethyl, Aunt Bea, Clara, Leona, Lilly, Lulu, Ina, Pearl, Fannie, MyrtleLee, Ida, Minnie, and Millie. Leona actually died, sad. Some of the names are mothers, some grandmothers, some great aunts from downhome, and Lucy and Ethyl, and Aunt Bea and Clara, well you all should know who they are.
Poor Jeannie, I hope you are feeling better tomorrow. Go to sleep now.
By the way, the wool felt can be found in some JoAnns, but mostly in quilt shops. I will find a good source for you all though. You can make your own by washing a wool sweater in hot water and drying it it you like! I've heard of many people making wool felt by accident! Otherwise keep your eyes open for a good quality felt by the yard at some fabric shops!
Well, gotta get down to the sewing room before I fall asleep sitting here. Take care everyone.

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

jeannie max
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  07:28:52 AM  Show Profile
Where I'll put my patch !!!!! We rarely wear jackets, vests, etc. in Florida---wall hangings & aprons--good ideas-but they don't go outside when shopping, etc. This will be my "oscar" of the Hen House Farm Girls & I want EVERYONE to see it-because it will probably be a miracle if I get even one additional badge :) I am putting mine on a medium denim tote---which will, at home, be hung for display :) Since it is all ready put together, I may have to resort to velcro for any patches along the bottom.
I stitched my patch-planned on only doing the words ---then I tried the apron---but that looked strange-so I had to do it all. Just straight stitches, & backstitch. Use 2 ply strands only.
I am putting 4 small black buttons , 1 chicken & 1 chick buttons (small ) on the corners ( found them at Joanne's --have 1 chick & 1 chicken left if anyone wants them? Want to start the days of the week-never did applique before--this should be interesting--almost afraid I'll really mess it up :( Will let you know !!!! jeannie

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  08:12:57 AM  Show Profile
Jeannie,
First of all I hope you are doing better today! I think the tote is a good idea, that way you can show it off when you are out!
As far as the day of the week towels, you could do the whole set in just backstitch or running stitch if you really wanted, so don't worry. If you want to wait I was going to suggest doing day of the week towels as a project after the sampler book, so we could all do it together. It would be interesting to see all the different themes everyone decided on. Also how they did finishing, if any. I like crochet on the edge.
Well, you keep out of trouble, and let us know how it is going. Rainy day here, so I will finally get something done inside!

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  08:32:32 AM  Show Profile
Forgot to mention, Deb just posted a great stitch guide on our henhouse link. I wanted to remind everybody to start looking at the Hanging By A Thread page, and to start posting and reading on our page. I am getting in the habit of posting on this "new henhouse" link on the stitching and craft room, and I think we are supposed to be getting used to doing it on our own henhouse link. I don't think anyone cares either way, but I guess since we have our own place we might as well hang out there, right? I hope nobody has any objection to me decorating it with ric rac and polka dots. Speak now or forever hold your peace. Feel free to add polka dots or ric rac in your own choice of colors, mine will be primarily pink.

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

jeannie max
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  08:38:49 AM  Show Profile
I think it's great here--all ready put it in my "favorites'-did not know there was even another site :( Can't add anything to my post--don't know how--just think Afternoon Tea when you think of me !!!!
Julie-please read my emails-----& of course, I can wait-have to practice my applique technique---there is just so much I don't know & so much I want to learn--will have to live to 90 !!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic New henhouse Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page