True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  1:37:57 PM  Show Profile
Amy,
Go ahead online and look up JoAnns. I'm sure you can sign up on line and they have books and everything you can buy right on the website. It stinks that you would have to pay shipping, but still, 40 percent is 40 percent. I think sometimes they offer free shipping. If I didn't live near one I would definitely shop on line. I think it can take up to six weeks once you sign up to start getting them. You can probably find the nearest store on the JoAnn site. I know you all are going to think I own JoAnns since I am talking about it so much, but I just want you to be able to get the deals I have been getting. I'm sure not many of you have money to waste! So if I manage to have an extra thirty dollars after all my bills are paid for the month, and I get to go shopping, I sure am happy to be able to buy two books instead of just one. Another hint, sign up your hubby or someone else too so you get two in the mail instead of one. My mom gets one for me so I'm happy with that!
Hobby Lobby also has an online coupon, usually a 40 percent every other week, which is great. Michaels is good too, except that you can't use the coupon on books, which I tried to do last week. I was so disappointed. But, I'm sure we can find at least a million other things to buy at Michaels, so no big deal! No matter what, I rarely shop without a really good coupon. It all adds up!
Well, off to church! Talk to you all soon I hope.
Julie

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

"No matter where you go . . . there you are."
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  1:49:37 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie,
Everybody would do their own book. I like to think that someday it might be treasured by someone in my family when I am gone! I have a pretty good idea of how we can finish them off, and each person cn personalize them in their own way. I think it will be cute. I also am planning on doing a sampler, and also some kitchen towels. I have to order MaryJanes books. I would like to see what they do in there. Once we get a decent amount of biddies in our henhouse, we'll start up the projects. Maybe in the meantime just do some googling, there are tons of free sites with information. Make sure you have some embroidery needles, floss, fabric for stitching (muslin always is good, plain, but showcases the designs and colors), and I also found out that the kind of hoop that is plastic with a little metal thingamajig that you squeeze to fit the inside hoop into the outside hoop is the best one. It's not the wooden one, and not a traditional plastic where you would turn the screw to tighten the outside hoop over the inside hoop. This one has a place where you grab two little metal bars to tighten the inside hoop, place the hoop, and then let go and the inside metal hoop goes inside the groove of the outer hoop. It is a great invention, I love it. I saw it recommended on some stitching site, and next time I was at Hobby Lobby I picked it up. It is much easier for me than the screw type. I just googled embroidery hoops and found the name, spring tension hoop, starting at 2.50 for a 5" I think. Very inexpensive, and worth every penny for me.
I saw on a website a Mary Engelbreit cross stitch alphabet book that looked kind of cute. I really hadn't planned on using cross stitch in my sampler, but I did like the letters and she had little flowers and such on them. I swear I have seen that book at Hobby Lobby. Maybe after church today I'll pop in there and check it out.
Okay, you all have your homework - research and stock up on supplies that you might need. Keep your eyes open for the floursack towels at the dollar stores too, those would be fun to embroider on. I even have a cute way of adding a crocheted edge to any who might like that.
I guess I better start praying for rain so I can get things done in the house - right?

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

jeannie max
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  3:20:02 PM  Show Profile
Okay--have all the beginning stuff you mentioned----I have done embroidery before & believe it or not-have kept all of it quite organized--as opposed to our home :)
I also have quite a few hot iron transfers( yes, I do collect some strange things)--I think I will do a Days of the Week with Tea Pots.
But--I ordered some new transfers & by mistake ordered 2 Victorian Housewife Day of the Week sets. You can have the 2nd set when it arrives-I guess about 2 weeks-if you like ( send address, please.
My LAST full paycheck is coming this week--so, I figured I'd better get some things before the extra $ was gone :)
Let me know-----PAX, jeannie

Come and share a pot of tea. My home is warm and my friendship free.
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  3:46:59 PM  Show Profile
Hello girls!
I would love to join your hen house too Julie!
For you all to join you need to send an email to Brian Ogle at: henhouses@maryjanesfarm.org, and tell him which hen house you would like to join. Take a look at all of them, there's some really good ones there!You can join as many as you would like.
I have been embroidering since before I can even remember, but put it aside for many years to do quilting, cross stitching, smocking and sewing for my family. Once I joined MJF, I was encouraged to start embroidering again, and this past winter I spent a lot of time embroidering tote bags and pillows. I am planning my sampler right now for my badge, and I also have an antique linen quilt top that I am working on.
Hope to see you all soon in the new hen house!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  6:06:00 PM  Show Profile
Brenda,
Welcome, and thanks for the advice on joining a henhouse. I think it's great that you picked up embroidering again. I don't know what it is about a needle and thread, but it has a calming, relaxing effect on me. Boy, you are a busy one. I never have tried smocking, but I think it is really pretty. Funny how things come and go during a lifetime. We almost just stopped at Hobby Lobby to look at embroidery stuff tonight after church and supper, but it was getting late and I am just plain pooped out! I decided since I didn't have a coupon anyhow, I would just wait till Monday! I can't wait to read all the bios of you wonderful ladies. We are getting quite an assortment of locations and specialties. The common thread is we all really enjoy handwork. Hey, common thread, that would have been a good name too! Take care.

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

jeannie max
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  12:04:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone--just wanted to let you all know that if you are interested in doing a regular sampler--MJ's daughter ( Megan Rae ) did one and it was illustrated in the Aug-Sept 2008 issue. I can't save the magazines--so I cut out what I need & put them in binders ( once a teacher, always a teacher :) Anyhow--if you don't have this & want to see & use what she did----I can email xeroxed copies--since I am homebound--my husband has agreed to do this -yes, I know--I am one lucky girl !!!! I think I am going to do a book like Julie suggested-putting a simple design/one different color on each page & using the stitch I wish to illustrate in another or several colors. I found a hot iron transfer design of silverware & china & will use this as the premise for the book. All I need is a way of putting this together :0, and of course, sewing all this-----which could take me FOREVER !!!
My email is thebriarpatch1@verizon.net
Have a great Sunday !!!!
jeannie

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  12:10:29 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie,
don't worry about putting it together. I have it kind of figured out in my head. I would love to see a copy of what MaryJane's daughter did. If you can email one that would be great. If you wait a week or two we can all do them together. I am just waiting to get a few more people into the henhouse! Otherwise go ahead, and I'll just help you figure out how to put it into a book form!
Talk to you soon, out to cut the grass and plant some more seeds.

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

jeannie max
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  1:37:08 PM  Show Profile
More info regarding Megan's Sampler:
It is similar to a "nine patch" ( tic tack do shape ). The center block has a design ( she used a bee hive with bees, her initials, and the date she finished it; the four end blocks are flowers; the side center blocks are 4 distinct lines of different types of embroidery stitches. And I do mean different-----looking at hers, I realize how little I know. These are by no means easy---on the directions, it gives you a picture of the stitch used-but even with this-you may have to look some of them up in a stitchery book. I am sure you could do easier stitches---after all, this is a learning technique --and most of us will have to substitute :)
I'll send Pat ( hubby ) out tomorrow to get copies made--Julie, I will definitely wait for the group to begin--but I'm getting antsy.

Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  12:50:42 PM  Show Profile
I want to join this henhouse so badly but I'm having a problem For some reason I can never get any messages thru by Outlook Express. Anyone have a suggestion as to how to get in touch with Brian?

I love to sew, crochet, embroider and tat. I've been sewing for about 35 years. And, I always have something going at all times. I can't wait.
Donna

LIVE simply, LOVE generously, CARE deeply, SPEAK kindly...Leave the rest to God.
Go to Top of Page

jeannie max
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  1:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Donna--welcome !!!! Julie has lots of plans (she's the Head Hen :) so, be prepared. Brian's email is
brianogle@maryjanesfarm.org
Have a great day--glad you will be a part of the group!!! jeannie

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  3:00:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Donna,
Welcome! We are so glad you are going to join us! Yaaaay!!! How about this, you send me your email, and I'll email Brian and tell him you are having problems getting through. Maybe if he sends you one first you can reply to him.
We are going to have so much fun! I think so far there are about ten ladies who have expressed interest. I have tons of ideas for projects, and I haven't even heard what you all would like to do, so I think it is going to be a great henhouse with lots of opportunity to learn and lots of projects to do if you so desire. If nothing else, so far everybody is really, really nice, and hopefully we will all become friends. For sure we all have the love of working with needle and thread, and that will be the thread that binds! I think it is so amazing that people from all over the United States and even further maybe can meet and become friends through this. We would most likely never ever have met, yet here I am talking to Donna from Georgia. I love it! Let me know on the email. I'll let Brian know. Talk to you soon!

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  3:48:02 PM  Show Profile
Julie, just letting you know I am now in the Hanging By A Thread Henhouse. Thanks for starting it!

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  5:02:20 PM  Show Profile
Caron,
Welcome! You are the first one that came through as an actual member after me. I know there are more, and I am anxiously awaiting all the bios so I can learn a little more about them. Now that I know you were head hencho, as you say, would you mind if I threw you a question now and then? This is the first time I've done this, and I'm sure I have a lot to learn!
I'm also a beginner level crocheter, and I love crochet. I thought I loved knitting better, but I am having more luck following crochet instructions, and I love the vintagey look to the stitches . . . so open and airy.
I really do want to expand my repertoire of embroidery stitches. I think embroidery is the ultimate in expressing creativity, because you completely determine the look and combination of the stitches, colors, size, all the variables. There is so much potential in stitching with needle and thread, no limits. Just as an artist creates with a canvas, brush and paints, our canvas is fabric, our brush is a needle, and our paint is thread.
I hope we all learn a lot and have a lot of fun, as well as develop friendships from all over the country! Thanks so much for joining, and I promise to do my best to make this a really fun place to be!

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

jeannie max
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  5:43:39 PM  Show Profile
Julie--since you said that Caron is the 1st new hen-----I figure the other people are thinking the same as I--that once we contacted you--we were "in". Guess "I" will have to contact Brian--sorry.
Will do it right now !!! Hope the other people are reading this also !!!! Just finished adding embroidery to my patch--not sure where it will go though--liked the idea of putting it on a "craft" bag. Just have to get one :) Cheers !!!!! jeannie

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  6:18:57 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie,
I'm so sorry, I thought you already knew that. You need to contact Brian Ogle at henhouses@maryjanesfarm.org and let him know you want to join. Maybe that's why I haven't seen as many sign ups as people that were interested, maybe nobody realized they needed to do that! If you check on page two of this topic somebody else wrote it, just in case I have it wrong. It doesn't really matter, once you all contacted me I considered you "in" already! It's just a formality. Well, go ahead and sign up officially and get it over with. Can't wait to see how many we get! This is going to be fun!

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  7:29:01 PM  Show Profile
Julie, feel free to ask me questions about running a Henhouse, I'll be glad to help wherever I can.

Caron

Happy Farmgirl Sister #254

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  04:02:19 AM  Show Profile
I received my approval for the hen house! I'm in! \o/

Here's a copy of Meg's sampler: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/Recipes-Patterns-Instructions/embroidery-stitches-for-sampler.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  05:54:12 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I got my approval. I'm in!!! Yea!!!

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  07:21:55 AM  Show Profile
Just wanted to let you know I sent in my request last night to join the hen house :-) I live in a rather small town in central Michigan (moved here from Houston Mrs. Rooster). A few years back I took a crazy quilt class for the soul purpose of learning to embroider. I REALLY enjoy the six weeks and the loved making the blocks (found out I am a bit of a control freak...who knew???) but we covered so many topics that not a lot of time was spent on the stitchy stuff. I have a number of books on embroidery and silk ribbon and have sort of learned a bit more from them and YOUTUBE videos (love them). I still consider myself a beginner. FYI - my favorite stitch is the french knot - love, love, love it. My husband says (in a childish voice) "If you were not all ready tied (get it) down you would marry it, right?" Maybe :-) I started on the veggie ball embroidered towels awhile ago but had to put all close sight work away as my eyes could not focus (bummer). I have one contact that sees close up and one that sees distance - every few years the ole eyes need adjusting. May 1 was the insurance date so now I need to find time to get into the Doctor and get stitching again. Oh, I also do Russian Needle Punch and Needle Felting. I look forward to the fun we will all have here - Thanks Julie for taking charge here :-)

Farmgirl Sister #918

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  08:14:41 AM  Show Profile
Deb, Karen, and Amy,
YAAAAYYY! We are rolling along now. I know there are more who were planning on joining, so we will just wait a little bit to see how many we get. It doesn't matter, it's quality not quantity, right!
Ok, now you all need to let me know what you would like to see, do, learn, and talk about in this henhouse. It's not mine, it's ours, so we all need to make decisions together. I'm so glad Deb and I started talking a while back about how need this henhouse, cause here we are!
Well, I have told you in prior posts I thought of lots of things I would like to do. If everyone wants to do any of them we will! Now you have to let me know projects you might like to do. Of my ideas the first one was making an embroidery sampler book. I had decided to make one with my granddaughter, as I am teaching her how to embroider. It would be nice to have a little book showing the stitches, the names, and putting it all together with our name and date on the cover. It can be customized with fabrics and embellishments of your choice, making it uniquely yours. It will serve as a sampler of sorts for me, and also as a reference when I am stitching to remind me of all the stitches I could use. As I said earlier, I hope maybe someone would treaure it when we are gone.
I am still figuring out the easiest way to put it together for everyone. I am an experienced sewer, but I don't know about everyone else. How about that for the first request. Can you guys let me know if you would be interested, and what your level of sewing experience is, and if you have a sewing machine? I would try to keep it as inexpensive as possible, and as easy as possible. I won't go further until I know about the sewing skills and machine info. If we can't go that route, we can do it a different way, no big deal! Either way it should be fun, educational as we will learn new stitches, and something to be proud of when it is done. No pressure on anybody, you don't need to do it if you don't have time. I'm not planning on doing it super fast because I don't have that much time left over in the day to just sit and embroider. We'll have a reasonable time line that everybody could live with.
Ok, you have your homework . . . let me know about the sewing skills, and also let me know if you have basic supplies ... hoop, needles, different colors of floss. The extras for this project would be a couple yards of muslin, some pretty fabrics for borders or frames around the embroidery, fabric for a front and back, and doodads for embellishment of your choice (buttons, ribbon, beads, etc.), whatever you come up with. Mine of course will include ric rac and polka dots. We might end up using some cardboard and a little quilt batting, but you can cut the cardboard from your cereal boxes, front and back, and start saving them. See, we are also green! If you have an old blanket ready to be disposed of you could probably use that in place of batting. Just might be nice to have a little cushion under the fabric, it will give it some dimension. Up to you though.
Talk to you all soon! Have a great day!

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  08:19:11 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, one more thing I forgot to mention. If you want we also could work on our sampler and embroidery requirements together for our badges. I think that would be fun, and having someone to do it along with would be good moral support. We could do those first if you would prefer, or do the book first to learn some stitches and then do a sampler. I think I would like to do that myself, but whatever you ladies would like to do we will do! Not a big deal either way! I think some of our projects might potentially be working toward our sewing badges too. . . . depending on how we do it. Remind me later to tell you about the really cute pillow patterns and seasonal things I have patterns and ideas for. There is a really cute pumpkin with stitches all around it, then sewn and stuffed. . . . ok, I'll stop now since I have a million and I need to get in the garden.

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

jeannie max
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  08:51:45 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone !!!! Deb--thank you for posting the website for Meg's sampler--now everyone can see what she did !!!
Julie---I have all the embroidery essentials you mentioned-but--I am NOT a seamstress.--I guess I am going to learn that, if I wish to keep up with all of you who are. I remember WAY BACK WHEN-(55 yrs.ago )learning to make pillow cases , aprons & simple dresses--but don't remeeber how to use the machine any more---guess between my hubby & me, we may be able to understand the book directions & get it threaded.
I am so excited-this looks like a GREAT group !!!! jeannie

Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  09:15:56 AM  Show Profile
Okay ladies, since it looks like some of you are not experienced sewers, we will move to plan B. It is actually even easier. We will just make the book out of felt, wool felt would be nicer. We can have felt as the cover as well as the pages. This way the only sewing required will be with needle and thread and I know we all have that. This will be really fun and easy. The felt will be nice and soft to stitch on too! How does everyone feel about this, sound good? Let me know!

Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots

Farmgirl #1127

Go to Top of Page

bellagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Carmen
Holland MI
USA
129 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  1:00:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julie, Got my post from Brian and now I'm joined to this hen house. YIPPEE!!!!!!! I really liked your idea of "earning our badges together". Love the book idea...oh my the choices. Over the past week-end I worked in the yard to ready my flower beds, they look great! It's tulip time, here in Holland, MI. So all of this week is festival days with three different parades on Wed, Thurs, and Saturday. I've been busy sewing Dutch costumes for the dancers. Next week is vegetable garden Everything. Welcome all new comers, glad to meet you,
Warm hugs,
Carmen
Sister Farm girl #1443

Blessings from Heaven and Earth
Go to Top of Page

jeannie max
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Regena
Wesley Chapel FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  3:40:52 PM  Show Profile
Felt--GREAT IDEA !!!!!!! That's the good part of working together____someone always has "another" way of doing things !!!!
And--just in case --I do have pinking shears--now, i just have to worry about the "stitches" Good Job, Julie !!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic New henhouse Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page