Page: of 2

AndreaPaige
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Andrea
TN
18 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  8:25:29 PM  Show Profile
Why is kitty litter so expensive? I have 2 cats and weve been spending a fortune on that stupid clay cat litter. I have been going crazy trying to find a *less smelly,* compostable, AND inexpensive solution. The answer? Get rabbit/hamster bedding. Its waaay less expensive, and seems not to be as toxic as some of those cat litter options out there. I got a big bag of shredded pine for about $3, and so far, it is doing much better than any cat litter weve tried. It actually smells pretty good, and I plan on composting it in our yard (probably shouldnt put cat compost on your garden, but its fine for landscaping).

If you try this, you should probably mix it in gradually with your cats existing litter to get her used to it, because the smell could put her off.

Any other ideas?

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  8:35:24 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like a good alternitive for you. My friend who raises Maine Coon Cats and has a medium sized cattery used stove pellets. Less expensive she says and works better.. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  10:56:58 PM  Show Profile
I also found a good one to use. It's called Yesterday's News. It's pelleted paper made from recycled newspapers I think. We have three cats and it really works!

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  05:07:44 AM  Show Profile
Kitty litter in the compost might be "safe" for landscaping, but it may attract other cats and animals to use your compost pile and landscaping as outdoor litter boxes. Better make sure that pile heats up really high and cooks that smell away. I don't know if you ever really can get rid of that kitty urine smell.

My SIL raises some kind of fancy shmancy cat and uses the newspaper pellets, too. I used to shred newspaper and use that, but I just don't have the time for that kind of shredding anymore.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPaige
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Andrea
TN
18 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  2:53:09 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm.. good to know about the composting. I just feel so guilty throwing it all in the landfill. I saw the newspaper stuff, too, but wasn't sure if it could control odor as well. We have a kitty we just took in as a stray and she's STINKY!

Mrs. Amy, I used to live in Madison, WI!
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  6:14:49 PM  Show Profile
I use Sweat Scoop. It's a bit pricey but lasts pretty good and can be composted or flushed.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Sara317
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Sara
Munroe Falls Ohio
22 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  7:02:06 PM  Show Profile
Now I am as curious as the cat....I can shred newspapers, no problem. What about the odor? Also, flushable cat litter. Tell me more!! I, too, have been wondering about what I am spending on keeping two litter boxes going. Thanks gals! P.S. Watch for composting. I had a neighborhood cat using my doormat for a box for quite a while!!

Edited by - Sara317 on Apr 24 2010 7:03:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  9:30:00 PM  Show Profile
I was skeptical about the newspaper pellets too, but it's controlled the odor better than anything we've ever used. I really don't compost any of it.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  10:02:46 AM  Show Profile
I use Swheat Scoop [a wheat based litter] and sometimes mix it with the pine pellets.
These are flushable. You don't want cat do-dos out in the yard, but my cat liter needs to be bio-degradable. I don't use cat litter in the garden because of the urea content [not to mention that other wild cats in the area will think my yard is a giant cat box].
But, I do spread it out over the nearby open fields in a very thin layer to add to the soil out there. I know that the rain and snow will decompose it and make it useful.
It's a large area though, so I know the urea in the litter won't overwhelm the ground ph.
Smiles!
carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

knittingmomma
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tonya
Vermont
106 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  04:54:53 AM  Show Profile
does anyone make their own? I keep thinking there has to be some way to make some instead of buying the pre-packaged stuff.
warm wishes,
tonya
http://plainandjoyfulliving.blogspot.com
Homemaking and Homesteading Mom of 6
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  07:20:15 AM  Show Profile
Because the liter is wheat is breaks down when you put it int he bowl. Which is interesting since it does clump when the cats use it. A difference in the amount of liquid I guess, but not as nasty as clay liter.

Carla, howdy neighbor. I do the same spreading when I change the box out and in this clay soil it can only help.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  09:21:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Laurie,
Same here! This place was one big rock when I first got here. Except the area where a person walks from the front door. That was a dip that filled with water in the rains. So a person leaving home had to slog through a lake with slick mud on the bottom.

Your right, that wheat litter is great for amendment [as long as it's not used in a garden].
Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  2:52:15 PM  Show Profile
Nice to see someone close by on here. Yup, I use it just in the perennial flowers. I've picked up amazing hints on these pages.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPaige
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Andrea
TN
18 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  4:56:30 PM  Show Profile
Well DH put the kabash on my plan while i was out of town for a week. He claimed it was terrible, but I feel unsatisfied because I didnt get to see for myself. Maybe we will try the wheat. Its funny our cats spend all day outdoors and when I let them in, they head straight for the litter box!
Go to Top of Page

MTwoman
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Marti
bond colorado
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  06:36:17 AM  Show Profile
I use dirt ran through a screen so most the rocks r out, in the winter I fill up trash cans so the dirt wont get wet or freeze. And in summer I have no box at all they go out side rather then comeing in to u use the box. But I am out of town so dirt and places to put it r endless.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  04:01:40 AM  Show Profile
I, unfortunately, have to use that special urinary tract indicator stuff for my kitty. He had a blockage a few years ago that landed him in the vets office and hit me with a $1,500 bill. While I have barncats outside that use whatever they use (they don't use places near the house), my indoor cat does need that stuff so I can keep an eye on him healthwise. It's expensive, but I'd rather pay for that then another huge bill, or having to put him down.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  07:16:06 AM  Show Profile
i am currently using clumping clay- bought one of te expensive cat's pride this time- the clay itself smells i think! and this cat i have now seems smellier than my last one-same food etc..
i used feline pine (pellets) for a few years- was hard to find but kept the odor down...i can't find the yesterday's news....my mother (owns the property) won't let me flush due to septic-says dump the clumps in the driveway where we have sand so it will "clay up" --well- i am worried about all of the surrounding barn cats too.....and we have to pay for trash pickup....
i had thought about shredding newspaper but just really dont think it will work---even thought of rehoming the cat --but i love her and she loves me!her name is Lovey!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  12:21:51 PM  Show Profile
We buy ours in large bags at Farmer supply stores. Buying bulk helps us save money.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  03:57:59 AM  Show Profile
I never thought to look @ Tractor Supply!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  03:04:54 AM  Show Profile

I just had to put this up here as you can see my little girl had 5 babies so instead of the 2 litter boxes I have in the house for 3 cats i will now have to have a few more eventually....lol

one of the things I use is pine chips from the feed store with clay litter, I have to get the pine chips anyway for the basement coop..it gets damp when it rains on the cement walls & I found the pine chips work faster & quicker to obsorb the moisture so thought why not mix it with the clay litter? so far so good & I like that when the cats use the litter box & cover their mess the pine smell shows up instead of poo smell :)...I have used everything that you have all listed...I have one friend who buys those huge bags of wood pellets for woodstoves for her 2 cats & likes it....I did love the natural pine pellets but the cost was too high since one of my cats is a diabetic & urinates alot. I just started doing this so far so good & a big bag mixed 1/2 & 1/2 with the clay litter is going a long way as well as for the basement coop.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2011 :  08:29:00 AM  Show Profile
OHHH, how adorable Michele.

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

WoodstreamDreambyNicole
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Nicole
Marlton NJ
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2011 :  5:07:08 PM  Show Profile
We use World's Best [brand] Cat Litter, it's natural corn. It's scoopable, good with odor, and doesn't have all of the dust of the clay cat litter. We scoop everyother day (2 boxes for 2 cats) and switch out the trays probably every 4-6 weeks (I'd have to check with my husband because he's the one who does it most often). It is expensive, but to not have the clay tracked everywhere, I'm happy!

Nicole
Shop
www.woodstreamdream.etsy.com
Custom Creations
www.woodstreamdream.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mindy_marie
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Mindy
Fargo ND
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  4:40:44 PM  Show Profile
I use the Swheat litter too for my kitty. I started using it because the clay litter smelled after just a day of my kitty using it even if I scooped it all of the time, but this stuff lasts longer. I really like that it's flushable too. I know it's still expensive, but I like it.
Go to Top of Page

PicketFence
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Arline
Walla Walla Washington
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2011 :  8:45:24 PM  Show Profile
We use the We use "World's Best", too. We LOVE it! The litter box sits beside our potty, when ever I notice that Mo has used the litter box, I scoop it up and into the pot. Down into the septic system. NO problem. Don't think I'd use any other kind. It lasts and lasts.
Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2011 :  11:37:26 AM  Show Profile
howdy farmgirls!
michelle congratulations on those sweeties! and bless you for planning on keeping that family together-that's pretty sweet too!
I want to tell you all about another solution to the cat litter dilemma-ground corn cobs.
IMO this is the most absorbant and satisfactory solution. It costs about 6-7$ at walmart for 10lbs I think. It lasts about 2 months!
I am surprised it's not easier to find by now-cause I first used it in 2006 when I found it in the grocery store in FL.
Here's a good use for those corn cobs farmgirls!
But don't ask me how to grind them!
Blessings to you and the feline friends!

Happiness IS being a MOM
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2011 :  1:04:29 PM  Show Profile
We have 2 indoor cats and I found the "World's Best" cat litter made from corn, I really liked it. It does real good with odor, but I have one fussy female that would not use it, she went on the floor, so back to clay litter and she is happy again. The "World's Best" still gets my vote at being the best I've tried.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Try This: Previous Topic Better kitty litter Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page