Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  3:43:51 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies, thought I would share this tip from my husband's professional sharpening days.

The best way to sharpen scissors is to get yourself a glass soda or beer bottle, and use a cutting action just under the lip of the bottle.

It does a superior job on scissors compared to any of the methods you would use for sharpening knives. Happy crafting!

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  7:04:16 PM  Show Profile
I will try this! Thanks for posting!

~ Elaine
Farmgirl sister #2822

"Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things." ~Saki

http://embchicken.blogspot.com

http://gusandtrudy.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2011 :  7:49:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing! I have several pair that are in desperate need of a good sharpening!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

136 Posts

donna
honesdale pa
136 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  7:32:46 PM  Show Profile
Does it matter if it is a "lefty" scissor? My daughter has a wonderful left handed scissor that is so dull after years of use! Just curious if it matters??? TIA

Just a Brooklyn, NY gal trying to figure out this country thing after 12+ years in the woods of NE PA!
Donna
Sister # 3062
http://restingunderthepinetree.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Video/Merit Badge Farm Boy

152 Posts

Kevin
Pullman WA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2011 :  09:31:29 AM  Show Profile
That's a great tip Jen, I've done it myself for sharpening shears. I wouldn't recommend doing it on kitchen knives though, microscopic pieces of glass could remain on the blade. And as everyone knows, glass is so fattening! ;)

-Kevin

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2011 :  10:36:45 AM  Show Profile
That's an awesome idea! Thank you!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2011 :  11:41:28 AM  Show Profile
Left or right scissors will sharpen equally as well this method, and no DO NOT use this method on kitchen knives. You'll need a whetstone or a "tri-angle" sharpener (Spyderco's Tr-Angle Sharpmaker is what we use.)

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13615 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13615 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  3:47:14 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Good idea!
I do have a knifemaker husband and he will carefully take my scissors apart and sharpen them . . . . I can count on him!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  4:46:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the sharpening tip! I'll certainly give it a try.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Sharpening scissors Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page