Page: of 4

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  08:07:36 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Sherry, they sounds just wonderful! And babies on the way?!?! You are so blessed! Thank you so much for sharing them with me.
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  05:36:53 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Girls! I was just curious what grain do you feed your goats? The lady we'll be getting ours from feeds them sweet feed. We are building the house for the girls today!!!! We decided to give them their own house.

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 10 2010 :  4:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Melissa! I feed mine Dairy feed from the farm store. If I buy the goat chow I pay $16.00 for a 50 pound bag. But I only feed grain to my milkers. You really don't have to feed them grain if they aren't.
Hugs!!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  09:50:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi Channah! Thanks alot for the info. I just want to make sure I have everything ready before we bring the girls home.

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  7:43:48 PM  Show Profile
Channah,
I see that Purina has two products ... a Goat Feed (Noble) and the Goat Chow. Are u recommending the Goat Chow over the Goat Feed if they are being milked?

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 11 2010 :  9:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
yup I guess that is what I am doing. lol I have never gotten the Goat Feed ( Noble) before. Is there are diffrence?
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  1:31:07 PM  Show Profile
The chow was 17% protein and feed 16% and the rest of the nutrients were varied too. I didn't know how to read the labels to determine which was better for milking goats so was wondering if any one else had already done it. The difference in price is a full $5/bag!

I'm feeding the regular feed right now...

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  1:37:16 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Lets see. I would say the 17% would be better for milking does but since Melissa's goats aren't milking goats it doesn't really matter. Does this help?!?
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  1:46:55 PM  Show Profile
but mine are

I was selfishly asking for my own benefit ... you just happened to mention the goat chow that which was the label I had been looking at ... and not understanding ... I probably should just ask the vet once and see what he says!

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  2:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh sorry Penny. So your looking for a good goat chow for your goats?!?
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  5:26:33 PM  Show Profile
i do not feed grain to my goats or cows. i use a natural non gmo alfalfa pellet mixed with molasses epsom salts sea weed and sometimes i cheat and they get a rolled oat added. i also use some beet pulp wet. at first they were not happy. now it is just the way it is. i NEVER EVER feed grain to beef animals. it changes the good fats they natrurally have in to cholesteral. many studies have been done to show this. i have first hand experiance with friends and customers whos numbers went down. they ate range fed grass fed natural beef. alot of it and numbers came down a lot. this is of course only my opinion. many folks feed grain and are happy.i feed high quality grass hay and a flake of alfalfa. i am building up the energy level in maddie now. she is getting a molasses goodie each day. the sugar and seaweed will balance her cal-mag ratio when she calves. this helps her milk come in and keep her healthy.she is a beef cow. so opinions are cheap this is mine.lol happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  6:41:57 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I would love to stop feeding my goats grain. I just know it is GMO packed and I hate it. I never did think about just feeding them alfalfa pellets. I guess I was always told that you "Have To" feed them grain.
Thanks so much Sherry! I will look into it more. Has anyone else done this?
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  09:53:10 AM  Show Profile
We brought the girls home!!! My chickens and rooster are having a fit about the new farm mates, but the ducks couldn't care less! As soon as I can figure it out, I will post some pictures.

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  09:58:44 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
YAY Melissa! I am so happy for you! Enjoy them!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  10:12:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Channah, we are! Emilie is down there sitting(cast and all) right now. Thank you again for answering my questions. :)

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  10:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I new she would. lol She kept telling me how excited she was. I am so happy for both of you!
Have a blessed day with them!
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  12:06:29 PM  Show Profile
I love hearing Sherry that you are green all the way - as I stated in my email to you Channah that milk producing animals thrive and produce top amounts without grain but they do need quality greens and a variety.

I also will give everyone two warnings about alfalfa pellets. If you goats do not have a good mouth or have eating pellets before soak them just a bit and do not give them much in a group - they can have problems with them.
Next, our government just passed the GMO act for alpalfa which means by next season you will have none labeled GMO alfalfa. The first place they will slip it in is in pellet form so just keep that in mind. Hate to be the downer but they passed that without much noise and most folks are not aware that we now have that to deal with...

Grain is not the answer to all animals. Good Luck.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  2:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh great.... thanks for the heads up Grace.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  8:13:56 PM  Show Profile
we have a seed and feed store here. he grows non gmo alfalfa dries in field before pelleting. i am oh so careful probably too carefull with the alfalfa. prevention for me is better. they only get a small amount. enough to get them in the stanchion. i never skimp on the quality of my grass hay. i get a read out on it. my animals are foodies. they will not eat poor hay. i do feed some pond lilly leaves and willow branches wild rose . we are growing sunflower seeds this year. i saved my feed bags to put it in. that is if we do not get snow in july.lol it has happened. and we all know this is a weird weather year. just my thoughts. the gmo thing is everywhere. i just hate it. the movie i recommended the beautiful truth is a good one. thanks grace happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  8:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
You are so blessed Sherry. Please know that.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  9:20:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sherrye you are so lucky - I would give my eye teeth to have that available... In the past three years we have lost all but one none gmo hay farm in my area. I have been known to bring hay in from as far as WI on train but the cost is just getting too much. I am alreally spending so much time on trying to find feed that some day's I question if I will continue this farm. So, count your blessings because where I am it is getting worse...

Hugs those four legged sweet one's for me. By the way you are doing everything right with their feed and I love the lilly leaves - again we do not have that in Colorado - would love to know more about their food value and minerals.. Something new for me to read up on.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  05:32:21 AM  Show Profile
Our goats seem to have bonded with my DH instead of me! I'm not sure if it's his deeper voice or what. They were raised by a women. But our neighbor, DH and I have decided she didn't have much interaction with them, other than feeding time. The mama acts like she wants to be friendly but just isn't sure of us yet. She has come around 100 percent since we brought them home though. It'll just take time I'm sure. I need to find a treat for them. Any suggestions?

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  06:20:18 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Melissa - thin apple slices or pear slices are a great treat that also has minerals they need. Also, parsley is a great on for their stomachs and again will benefit them. As for the goats picking one person over another I would not be too concerned. If they came from a place with a women owner and is picking your husband it might be that she was not too kind to them. In time like any friendship - trust, respect and interaction will get you both where you want to be. For now just be you and they will soon learn you wish to be their friend. Your goats are lucky to have someone who cares.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  06:25:54 AM  Show Profile
i feel very blessed here for sure. one of the things that makes it all work is irrigation. we live in the high desert. dry is the word. those who have none live on dirt and rock here.we have a pond we hold our water in. i use pond lilies and marginals to help keep it in balance. when we first moved here it was an algae pool.
melissa, sounds like the 2 goats i am working with now. they are calming down a lot with time. like grace taught me sit with them and just read or be there. then they came to me and started smelling me.you probably know that already. happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  06:38:37 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, I'm so glad you got your new goats home. You will enjoy them and they will be your best buddies soon enough. They will follow you around like puppies. Have fun.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goats! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page