Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Learning the ropes Next Topic  

Yart
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

MI
USA
143 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  06:26:49 AM  Show Profile
We have gotten our first rabbit! It is just a pet but with the experience we gain from it, we hope to one day raise rabbits for profit. Here is a picture of our newest addition!

Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie. ~Jim Davis
http://urban-eco.blogspot.com/

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  09:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
aww, it is so cute!!
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  10:10:45 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Well i hate to discourage you but i have been raising rabbits for 2 years and still have not seen a profit from it...lol. When they get sick meds are expensive, food is expensive. We sell several at easter but other than that there really isnt a demand for rabbits. The novelty wears off fast and they end up at the shelters. I do sell for 4-H shows and things but they are few and far between. So I would set down and work a business plan. We thought that rabbits would be easy money, well we found out that is not true. They are alot of work. We can never go anywhere for more than a day because they need fed and watered. I have mine set up on 2 liters of water and they can drink that in a day or less. Some people use auto waterers but have seen a persons herd get wiped out due to one rabbit being sick and it flowed thru the auto water system and they all got sick and died. This year so for with the crazy weather we have lost 3 rabbits, of course they were my $100 each rabbits. I have rabbits that have cost me $300. Then you also need to have a market for your rabbits. What will you do with the rabbits that you cant sell? ARe you prepared to keep them? will you eat them? They avhe to go somewhere or you will soon have way more than you wanted or want to take care of! If you have any questions feel free to pm me!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  10:34:40 AM  Show Profile
Which is why we are personally raising ours for our own meat :0)

Not there yet, though. Anyway, there is typically little to no profit to be found in animals period, especially when you figure in your time and expenses. Nonetheless, I find my livestock to be fun, especially since I do not depend on them for income.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Learning the ropes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page