Page: of 4

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  08:28:25 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Yup, I am with you Grace, it is getting worse here too. I can only pray now.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  6:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace, they are slowly warming up to me!

We were just curious, is it possible to give a goat that hasn't had much attention too much? When we go back into the house the mama yells and yells. Then she started running and bouncing off the fence, and when we go back out she was fine. We're just worried that she'll get out or get her one horn caught in the fence tomorrow while we're at work.

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  8:34:49 PM  Show Profile
Melissa separation is hard on both two and four legged - I would say that since she has not been with you very long she is just wanting to know like a little kid will you come back. However, I would say to not fall into a trap of her not being able to function without you. I have been known to stay in the barn overnight with newcomers or someone who has issues but they also need to stand on their own. You will have to judge the situation but just know you are doing what you feel is best. I have faith in you gut...

Heck this is from the person who let's chickens sleep in her bathroom with a space heater and who sleeps under a heat lamp during kidding season - I can be a softy dispite what others may think..

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  10:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I think Grace said that very well. :)
Grace, I am a lot like you. :) I bring my little goats in when it gets really cold and they sleep by my bed or sometimes we bring our rabbits in when it is stormy outside, etc. I would bring them all in but 9 animals is a bit much when we have a really tiny house that fits 6 people already. lol
hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  04:11:04 AM  Show Profile
Thank you girls. That makes sence that she is just cheking to make we're going to come back. I'm just worried this isn't going to work out.(I'm a worrier;)) I wish I had a stay at home job, then I could check on then and know everything was alright. There is a five hour span between when I leave for work and hubby gets home, I'm really hoping the goaty girls behave themselves. My FIL lives across the field from us, maybe he can check on them while we're gone. Cross your fingers girls!

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  08:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I'll be praying Melissa!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  11:32:19 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, I cannot walk out the door with every animal on the place seeing me and running my way and clucking or maaaaing or mooooing at me. It's very noisy when I am outside and then I go in and they all get quiet and go back to what they were doing before I came out. The goats will be way up the hill and see me and run down here. Or the cows will be across the field and come running. It's nice but good grief. I just want to walk out to the garden or go to the mail box. They'll get over it and be just fine soon enough.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  11:53:17 AM  Show Profile
Kris I know what you mean - I find myself trying to hide to get something done. Even the chickens follow me and sometimes they are not allowed to come. However, it is great when there is a problem because I can round everyone up quick as a blink. I have only a few who do not know how to stand by me with continually talking - they make enough noise for all the others put together but when my really quite one's make noise I know to come a running...

Silly goats

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  9:48:46 PM  Show Profile
oh how true it is. i had to laugh tonight. my neighbor had been in idaho trading mules. when ever they are at the end of the road her horses start yelling. then her cows and dogs. we still cannot see her rig coming in. then my cows dogs and goats all get involved. tonight the other neighbors cows were involved. they brought home a new mule. everyone in the barnyards knew it. i had to smile real big.happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  04:41:33 AM  Show Profile
Good news, the girls stayed in their yard all day yesterday! I forgot hubby was working a 12hr shift, so the girls were on their own for 9 hours. My FIL came over at 2:30 to let our dog out, he said the mama was just yelling for all she was worth.
After dinner I went down and couldn't see where she had tried to get out at all, so she must be getting used to her new home. The girls ran up to see me as soon as I went out! They come over and smell my hand, but wont let me pet them yet. Mama was tasting my coat and the baby has learned she can fit through the boards on the gate that seperates their yard from the chickens and ducks! The mama gave me a look like "I have no control over her!"

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  06:04:39 AM  Show Profile
I am so happy that everyone behaved. Isn't just like kids to never mind their mothers - doesn't mine if they have two leggs or four.

Monday my new kids and the mom's got to go out into a new pasture - full of goodies and dandelions - their fav. The kids where not sure but within a half hour they ran back to the barn with round bellies and napped for several hours. When the awoke from their slumber I had them all come a running to tell me of their adventures. It was so funny - like a bunch of school kids ready to tell you of their day and wanting to talk over each other. They also got the company of my Llama boy and that sure was excitment too. What a perfect day for all.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  05:30:06 AM  Show Profile
Grace, so glad your fur babies are enjoying the new pasture and all its goodies!

It rained all day yesterday, so I didn't have to worry about anyone trying to escape!

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  05:32:06 AM  Show Profile
That's about the only time I know where all mine are. WHen it's raining they are in the barn.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  07:21:55 AM  Show Profile
I love the feeling of knowing where my animals are! I have thought of that many times - it gives me the feeling of well-being. Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goats! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page