Page: of 4

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  12:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Yes wild cherry is very bad for goats so make sure they don't get it.
hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  05:01:29 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning everyone! I wrote during the weekend...but I don't know what happen to it. So, I will write it again. I am now milked with 2 hands and have been all weekend. I think tonight I will try to save the milk instead of feeding it to the chickens. Thanks again for all the encouragement. smiling!! Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  12:32:22 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is soo cool Kris!! I started out milking with one hand too. lol So glad everything is going well for you!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  12:43:32 PM  Show Profile
does anyone know a site where they list poison plants for ruminants?goats got out. ate in yard. i was not home. scared me so bad. today all ok. i used a thera-bloat on the buck. he had a high left side. he is fine now. i kept him running and walking allover the pen. the rock hill and down. rubbed and pushed on his belly.he finally had enough. looked at me walked over to a new goat and rammed her three times hard. gads he knew he couldnt do me so he hit her.its so windy cold off mountain can not hardly breath out there. goats are all in hutch. so gotta go fix fence. i hope some one knows a site i could bookmark for plants. thanks, happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  3:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh I did have one that told all the bad plants for goats Sherry. Let me see if I can find it again. One time I was gone and I was down right sure that I locked the doors and we went somewhere really far and I came home about 11:00 at night and all my goats were out. We left like at 7:00 in the morning so they were out along time. I was sure I locked the doors and got to thinking that is was one of our next door neighbors because they like to come over and see the animals and I think they forgot to lock the door. It was a mess and we found droppings all by the road. God was so good and he watched out for them. They were all fine and quite happy to see me. lol Anyway, I will find you that list and post it here for you. I hope your goats are ok!
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  3:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
ok here it is.

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/poisonousplants.htm

Hugs!!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  3:53:35 PM  Show Profile
thanks channah, so far they all seem fine. its so windy and its a cold wind. i am inside today. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  4:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
You are so welcome Sherry! It is very windy and cold here too. We are in for a big storm tonight.
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  04:02:58 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning - I wanted to report that I saved Nibs milk last night. She has learned to be milked with 2 hands like a big girl. So we continue to improve and learn. She gave nearly 2 qtr. of milk last night. Being thankful for how my life is going.. Kris

Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  04:15:25 AM  Show Profile
Channah = I plan to dry up my older goat to give her a rest and use Nibs milk as I have, drinking, cheese, give to my mom.....like that... I keep forgetting that there are pages to this and did not see your question - sorry. You would think I would learn but no.

Just a note about the cherry leaves - the books say it is wilted leaves or partly dried leaves which are poisonous but I still am careful with them as fresh. We have so many on our property. The leaves are poisonous for horses too when wilted. Thanks you all Kris

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  07:42:11 AM  Show Profile
channah did you get your storm. it blew hard all night. ripped the side cover off my golf cart. darn it hoping less wind today. need to do hooves and some garden and pack a few boxes. happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  11:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh thats fine Kris. :) How are all your goats doing? I have also read that it is just wilted leaves that are bad for them. lol Kinda weird but I won't argue with it.

Sherry, we did get a storm but it had calmed down when I went to bed at 10:00.
Now everything is all wet and muddy. lol Not something I like to do my goats in. lol
How are you goats doing this morning?
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  2:06:01 PM  Show Profile
well everyone was hungry and happy today. so glad i have a big metal container that holds 4 - 33 gallon garbage cans with my feed in them. when i found the girls they were sniffing the bin.lids on bin shut. yes i worry now. i have live bush cherry and cornelian cherry here. i also have 2 rhodies and 2 hydrangeas and 1 azalelia. when i start selling plants i think i may sell them. it scared me big time. any hoot..channah today so far skies no wind. i am going to go try to do my first tail bleed. testing for pregnancy. something new. i will let you know if i succeed. sounds like you have things figured out miss kris. happy milking. thanks for checking on the goaties. shrrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  8:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am sure they are fine Sherry. I think something would have started to happen by now.
One day my buck Joey got out. I had no idea how long he had been out but I quickly put him back in for the night not thinking much about it ( at that time we had 3 rhodies by the pen). The next morning I went out and he was trowing up everywhere and he looked so sick. I quickly looked at the rhodies and notice that there we several leaves missing. I put 2 and 2 together and told mom to look up things I could give him for rhodies ( I have no idea how to spell that word. lol) posining ( my spelling is really bad when I am sick. lol my head is telling me something diffrent and my hands just keep on typing. lol). She found some natural cures that I soon mixed up and after being with him night and day he was back to him old self in about 4 days. It was terrible and we now no longer have rhodies. Poor guy, he was so thin by the time it was all over. He had nothing in is stomach, not even water. I almost lost him.
Anyway, just thought I would share. I am sure your goats are fine though.
Hugs!!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  8:44:16 PM  Show Profile
well thanks channah, they were happy today. i gave everyone their cdt. i did 7 goats. i trimmed hooves on the ones that were here to get bred.they used to be mine. i saw them pulled from mom. i bottle fed from birth.feona and abagail . i gave them to him since they were too wild for me to handle. i like the lamanchas. nubians are fun though.lol anyway i had to scold them. they had not done their hooves or worming or vaccines. fifis hooves were so bad. i have done hooves before BUT these hooves were so BAD. they were twisted under. dirty. i told them last chance. next time i take them back...they love the goats but not doing feet is not ok. they could call me. i was very challenged. i tried to true up her step. so we will see. they are the doe skin color and oh so happy. i still have all my girls to do. so 6 does and 5 babies. good practice. thanks channah for checking on me and the goaties. i fell in love with the buck. so i bought him for a $400.00 barter. he is a boer. very sweet to me. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  06:14:56 AM  Show Profile
Morning, last night when I was straining Nibs milk (new freshened) I noticed her milk is much whiter than her mother's milk. It was such a pretty color white. Have to read about that, maybe it is the cream amount??

I am drying up Nanny(Nibs mom). I cut her grain to just a spot and a little less hay and then milked but only part of the amount. My dad said I could just stop milking but am afraid of mastitis. Do you guys have information about that? Can I just stop milking and she will be okay?
Have a good day everyone! kris

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  09:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am so glad to hear it Sherry! I just got done trimming hooves too and worming them. So now I am all caught up. lol But not for long I have a feeling. :) I am feeling a little bit better today. Yesterday I got up and was feeling fine and then by noon I just went down hill. It was the weirdest thing. But I need to go milk and get my goats out to pasture. A farmgirls job is never done! lol I enjoy it though but would love it if I was feeling better.

Hi Kris, When I first wanted to dry up my doe I was also told you could just stop milking. But for me I just didn't think that was the way to do it. So I started to milk her half way and still leave some in her udder. And then after doing that for a few days I went down to milking her a little less than half and so on. And in about a week she was all dried up. One of my goats has a very big udder and to just stop milking... She would have been misrible. Anyway, hope this helps!
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  12:32:55 PM  Show Profile
Channah - I agree with you....about the drying up goats. Just letting them go- cold turkey - it seems not a good idea. So, I will do it like you did and like I was planning. Great minds!! : )

Sorry that you are not feeling good - whats going on? and do you feel a bit better today. I just got in from errands in town, got my hair cut and stuff. Ordered a book - The uncommon woman - my sister wants me to read it. Oh, Channah, I don't have to feel sick to write wierd - wrong - it just comes natural. Take care - Kris

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  1:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kris! That is so funny we were thinking the same thing. lol Great minds think alike!
I am feeling a little better today. My throat is a little sore but much better than yesterday. Now I just have a stuffy nose, headache, and thats it. Should be all better by tomorrow!
So how many goats do you have? What breed are they? I just love talking about goats!
Hugs!!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  1:41:43 PM  Show Profile
Channah - I have just the 2. I bought them last year - summer time. The older doe, Nanny is Togg and the daughter, Nibs, is Togg/Alpine. I do like them.... They look more like Togg's then Alpine. My dad was upset with me for buying them from a person who used them for puppies. He thought I bought bad animals. He told me the other day....Kris, you lucked out when you picked up those two animals. He was impressed that Nibs is giving over 2 qtrs a milking for her first freshening. I just smiled.....

Kris : )

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  2:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
They sound just beautiful Kris! Thanks so much for sharing!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  1:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
How are all your goats doing today ladies?
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  2:08:04 PM  Show Profile
hi channah, mine are super.the 2 cows are out on the field chewing cud. i am going out now to fix the fence where they all got out. i moved them to a different spot. kinda small. so gotta get them moved. i hate to say it cant believe it..today beautiful sat bad rain wind snow AGAIN. i might as well be in alaska this year with you girls up there.anyway gonna move goats now. did my milkmaid chores for the cows. i am excited. maddie is swelling in back and now i see pink opening. she has no bag yet. kinda grumpy. breathing heavy. she may have weeks yet. pasture bred. my dexter ida will calve around the 18th and then her heifer calf straight horn will calve around the 5/22. they are all beefers so no milk till aug.happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  4:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
You have cows Sherry?!?! You are so blessed girl! I would love to have some cows some day. What kind of cows are they?! Do they have names?!?
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  5:16:49 PM  Show Profile
channah i love my cows. i have a mini jersey cross. she is bred through AI to a registered jersey mini bull. we are hoping for a heifer.then i have isabela. she is a full size jersey girl. bred to same bull semen. hoping for heifer. then we have a herd of dexters for our beef. we have 4 cows. one has her calf. heifer white- black ear- feet and nose. so cute. she is 4 weeks.her name is freckles. she has belted galloway in her. so she will be tamed and trained to milk. waiting on 3 calves this month.then i have a nice young dexter bull. and 1- 1/2 of steers. i share one steer with a friend.our biggest cow the mama to freckles is called hippo. she is a short german tank.lol so yes they have names. my white cow is called maddie. then there is crooked horn. she is the female dominant .she snorts and hollars like a bull.she is a registered dexter. her heifer calf that is pregant is called ida j mar. she is registered also. i just got done with poop scooping. she is getting close and i want a clean birth. so we are ready now. i have my meds ready my bose shot for calf. so now we wait. happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Goats! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page