jelliott
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Jennifer
Athol Idaho
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  12:56:31 PM  Show Profile
I remember coming home from work one morning after working night shift. I was hungry and thought that I would boil some eggs, well when you are realllllllly tired and you are boiling eggs, don't go and lay down. You might go to sleep and wake up to boiled eggs that have popped all over, the ceiling, school books that were laying on the table. The sauce pan had melted down into the burner. What a big smelly mess.

If music be the food of Love, play on. Wm. Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  2:39:42 PM  Show Profile
Melody, I did the same thing. I had done Thanksgiving Dinner several time after my Mom got the turkey ready to cook. When I say several times I mean like 6 years running while I was in Jr. High and High School. But, my Mom got everything started. Anyway, My fist time to get the turkey out of the bag and started I couldn't find the little bag with the giblets. I went to the store and bought some so I could use them and backed the Turkey, My DH found them when he cut the bird. We have been married 32 years and every Thanksgiving and Christmas he comes in and asks me if I remembered to get the little giblet bag out.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  2:45:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh Marcia! I know that recipe and the same thing happened to me! So I guess that makes it Martha's fault

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  3:00:31 PM  Show Profile
So i am not the only hard boiled egg cook at 2 am

My funny story, right after we got married I was trying to use every cookbook we got for the wedding. Well one had chinese food type thing that required TONS of bean sprouts. As I was making it the dogs started to go nuts. We took one bite and it really tasted like dog food! threw that away and had sandwiches

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  6:52:41 PM  Show Profile
My funniest story is about my daughter 'standing in' for me so I could run to the store. She was supposed to start the box of mac and cheese and get the instant mashed potatoes goin. I came home to both my girls standin outside the house cryin and smoke rollin out the front door. My daughter had decided to do the mac and cheese in the microwave, but she forgot the water. Noodles burst into flame when they are microwaved dry! After I disposed of the microwave we went back in. She said the potatoes were done and asked what we would have with them. I was only gone two mins. So I had her talk me through what she had done. She had put water, butter, milk, and flakes all in the pan at the same time! It was awful and she was bawling. A trip to McDonalds saved everyones mood and my DH cleaned the kitchen for us while we were picking up dinner.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  2:38:46 PM  Show Profile
My mother is a lousy cook so I learned nothing from her in this department.

We were first married and my husband loves pumpkin pie. I decided to make him one. It was like a custard type pie and tasted wonderful.

The next day I asked him to bring the pumpkin shell to the compos and he looked at the shell and saw all the meaty part still on the shell. He asked me what I made the pie out of and I told him the inside of the pumpkin. I had made it out of the stringy part. He just laughed and said it was the best pumpkin pie he ever ate. Who ever knew!

http://sweetlocuslane.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  10:28:12 PM  Show Profile
Amy: I don't know if you ever had fondue, but it is cooked on the table with a small can of fire under it. While you eat salad and bread you put different kinds of meats in a special fork and cook it in the oil. You dip the meat into various sauces before you eat it. The cooking and eating went fine. My stupid mistake was when I was pouring the cooled oil back in the bottle........NEVER have your kitchen drawers open. The oil missed the bottle and went inside the silverware drawer and all over the floor! A mistake I will NEVER make again. Ugh! (lol) Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  10:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
OOooo I am sure that was a mess. I hate having to clean up oil. LOL

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  12:22:17 PM  Show Profile
Jenn, I would have lol at the eggs all over the kitchen. I posted my story but thought of a couple freinds stories that are pretty funny:
1: My freind went out of town for a weekedn trip. She cooks evertything for her HB, he never cooks for himeself. She even peels the shells from his eggs for him, dang who has the time? She told him she had his dinner 'chili' all ready, all he had to do was heat it up. About the only thing he doesn around the house besides the outside stuff is feed the dog. He remembered that they were low or almost out of dry dog food so he stopped at the store to pick up a bag and went home to eat his dinner. He found a can of 'chili' on the counter and heated it up for himself. When she got home she asked him if he fed the dog, he said of course and told her of the dry dog food. When she went to the frig and saw the homemade chili still in the container, she asked him what he ate? It dawned on both of them that he had eaten the canned dog food that she had put out on the counter thinking it was his 'chili'. She had left a can of dog food out on the counter as she did not have time to go shopping for more dog food b4 she had left.

2: I have a chocolate fountain. My freind has a daughter who wanted to use it for her overnight party. Jen and her HB put it together and started melting the chocolate. They did not put the screw thing in the center correctly and snap it down so when the machine was turned on, the screw thing jumped out of its holder and shot melted chocolate all over the kitchen.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

anna13mary
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Anna
Salem IN
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  10:44:53 AM  Show Profile
When I was in college, my roommate and I were visiting my grandmother and got the bright idea to try and make deep fried Twinkies. First off, my roomie had very little cooking skills at all and I'd never tried to make them before. Second, no recipe and no clue anything about them except the end product. Third, no clue the Twinkies were supposed to have been frozen. SO... long story short, the Twinkies fell apart trying to pull them out of the pan of hot oil, splattered into the burner, started a small grease fire (just a little on at the burner), my grandmother, bless her heart, was laughing and trying to make the smoke detector shut up, my room mate it bouncing up and down, waving her arms, looking like a crazed cheerleader, yelling "FIRE! FIRE!", and I'm frantically looking for a lid to slap over the flames, while yelling at her to shut up and open the door to let the smoke out. The flame went out as soon as the lid was over it, the mess was cleaned up, the Twinkies (which by this point were a huge pile of unidentifiable crumbles of cake and batter, doused with oil, sitting on a plate) were pitched, and my family still laughs about 'The Great Twinkie Disaster'. And you know... For some reason, I've just never been near as fond of those lovely little 'deep-fried-heart-attacks-on-a-stick' since then... But it's still fun to laugh about it.

**Anna~Mary**

Daddy never liked me playing in mud, but Mommy always just laughed and said "It won't hurt anything. She'll wash." Thanks Mom... Still playing in the dirt @ 27 and still loving it!
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  4:25:15 PM  Show Profile
LOL - great stories gals! I have to say I personally haven't had any great doosies, largely because my mom made darn sure I knew how to cook. Worse I ever did was melt the bottom heating disk off a small saucepan and melt a baby bottle in it as well, while the colicky baby had gotten my attentions elsewhere......would have laughed if it was my own colicky baby at my own home, but it was when I was watching someone else's kid at their house and I was in tears, ah well. That was fun! But my whole family is rather food oriented and our best stories usually revolve around food. One of my favorite's is when a loaf of my dad's homemade bread didn't turn out right, sort of fell at a slant in the oven for some reason. Now, my dad was already an accomplished bread maker at that point, often baking for family gatherings, and this was his signature potato caraway, but that holiday the whole extended family was introduced to it as his new and exotic "Norwegian Slope Bread." Only we knew the truth, and when one of the aunts started waxing poetically about how is was similar but yet so much better than his potato caraway, I lost it. My dad soon joined in my laughter and it was some time before everyone learned why were we laughing so! At first, that poor aunt didn't believe us.....

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  8:12:23 PM  Show Profile
One day when in a tearing hurry, I made a jello salad in a glass 9x12 pan. Then I made scalloped potatoes in another glass 9x12 pan. I put tin foil over each. Then one of the kids fell, the phone rang, etc. I hurriedly put the potatoes in the oven and jello in the fridge and went to run errands. The house smelled strange when I got back-yep! I had put potatoes in the fridge and jello in the oven. jello does not bake well but it comes out of the pan without much scrubbing.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  8:27:48 PM  Show Profile
Reminds me of the time I decided to have ice cream for dessert. I bought chocolate syrup for a bonus surprise and when my DH came home from work (hours later) I opened the freezer and there sat the chocolate syrup and you guessed it the ice cream was in the pantry. I can identify with the turkey story also. We were newly weds and I cooked the Thanksgiving day turkey for my in-laws and also left the bag in. 24 yrs later its funny that day I didnt see much humor in it:D
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  10:50:03 PM  Show Profile
I was at my sister's in laws, about 25 people there, everybody helping to cook.
I was assigned the baked beans. Asked Maw where she kept the sugar, she pointed
to a cupboard. I opened it, saw a big glass jar of it, added a big cup plus ketchup,
Worcestershire and bacon on top. Popped it in to cook, and went to help set the table.
Came out looking lovely! We all sat down to eat, 2 guys took a big ole bite of my beans, and spit them back out immediately, gagging! Turns out it was a big old glass jar of pickling salt. The sugar was in a little plastic container on the shelf above it. Still can't live that
one down!
Also, when we were dating, my hubby came to my parents house, and mom & I made a large
pot of hot chicken chowder. He got a big bowl, and went to the living room to eat it.
A few seconds later, we heard him howling. He had sat down in a glider rocker, (not
knowing that it rocked) and sloshed the soup all over his lap. Scalded privates are
no laughing matter, but we laughed until we cried. He has an embroidered pillow now,
given as a gag gift, it says "Never eat hot soup in a rocking chair". LOL

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  6:56:49 PM  Show Profile
In my early 20's, while still learning how to cook, I hosted Thanksgiving dinner. Nothing unusual, took turkey out of bag & roasted in oven. When it was time to cut into it, it was tough. Then realized there was a shrink wrapped packaging over the turkey that should have been removed BEFORE roasting! It was so long ago that I don't remember if or how the turkey browned. Now I buy fresh, free-range turkey from a local farmer...no shrink wrap to worry about!

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Mid-Michigan Farmgirl Chapter
http://simplelifeseeker.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  7:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
This is my husbands blooper...I had made a huge pot of homemade spaghetti sauce complete with meatballs, sausage, Bracciole, pork and beef neck bones. It takes hours to prepare and simmer all day. Just had my kitchen redone with new cabinets and indoor/outdoor carpeting. Somehow my husband managed to dump the pot and everything went flying...it hit the ceiling, walls,cabinets, appliances and my new rug!!!! It was like slow motion and I couldn,t do anything to stop it. Believe it or not but there wasn't a stain on the carpet. Everything cleaned up fine and I was glad he did it and not me! That was back around 1970. I had forgotten about it until I resd all your hilarious stories! ROFLOL!

Blessings,
Darlene
Sister 1922

The road to a friends house is never to long!
Go to Top of Page

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
Drought ridden High Plains New Mexico
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  06:53:14 AM  Show Profile
These stories are GREAT! Thanks for the laughs ladies. Here's my story.

I'm a pretty good cook even when I was very young. I can make tortilas, stuffing, cook a thanksgiving meal, roast, anything, pies, tamales, bread, jam, spanish food is my specialty. Okay for the first 10 years of marriage.... I could not make Jello. LOL I know, I know some water and a box of stuff, my jello would not make. My mom even stood over my shoulder and I followed her instruction and it still didn't come out. It was kind of embarrassing. So then I had a cute little son, he's so awesome what does the kid want his mamma to make, yes jello!! I have made jello sucessfully 3 times in the past couple of years. I still get a little nervous about making it.
Go to Top of Page

kairosdreaming
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Melissa
Pineville North Carolina
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  5:56:51 PM  Show Profile
My worst was not too long ago. I was making a special Coffee Cookie out of one of my cookbooks. Everything was going fine but when I took them out of the oven they had melted into each other and all over the pan. I had to use a paint scraper to get it off! Turns out my bag of pastry flour and the bag of self-rising flour look an awful lot alike....... My poor fiance tried to eat whatever he could chip off the pan anyway but quickly gave up.

Melissa

http://checkeredchickens.blogspot.com/

They sicken of the calm that know the storm.-unknown
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  11:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
On another topic we did a photo swap. I now have a beautiful album that I can put a name to a face. Would any of you like to swap Pics? If so email me your address and I will do the same. Post on here if you want to swap with each other and do the same. You won't be sorry! Nice way to get to know each othr.

Blessings,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

AmyInNC
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Amy
Pittsboro NC
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  7:21:26 PM  Show Profile
I was preparing for Thanksgiving dinner... my 2 year old playing in the living room... I was on the phone with my mom asking about thickening the giblet gravy. "How much cornstarch do I use? It's not getting thicker!"... I kept adding more and stirring. We chatted about other things during the whole process. I didn't mention how much I ended up adding... it was a lot. Finally, I realized that I needed to have the gravy on the heat! As soon as I turned on the stove and stirred, the gravy thickened up so much the spoon stood in the center. ;) And my daughter had wrapped herself in saran wrap while keeping herself occupied while I 'cooked'.
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  07:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Amy...to funny! That's what happens when our minds are on a million things at once. Mother's can never just be in peace and do the one job at hand! When you're following a recipes direction and someone can clearly see you are...they HAVE to ask you something so you have to reread to see what you're doing. Right?

Blessings,
Darlene
Sister 1922

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  1:55:20 PM  Show Profile
No sugar in pumpkin pies...
YUCKY
diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  1:58:54 PM  Show Profile
Probably my biggest oops was adding 3 TBSP of salt to my omelet rather than the 3 tsp from the recipe. DH took one bite and spit it out. That was over 30 years ago and we still talk of the Salt Omelet!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

36paws20hooves
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Danielle
Weirsdale Florida
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  11:06:12 AM  Show Profile
Last month we had the whole family together for a surprise baby shower for my cousins wife (her second baby, a boy). Well... my parents have a small screened in cook shack/breeze way area that connects the big garage to the house. If the grill or smoker is going you have to make sure the doors leading into the house are closed or soon the smoke detectors will be going off letting you know ALL about it. It didn't take long for that to happen it always does but this time it was the funniest thing that happened all day.... The soon to be 4 yr old big sister started hollering.... DINNER'S READY!!! Everyone just turned and looked at the mother to be and started laughing.

I'm so busy I don't know if I just found a rope or lost my horse!
Go to Top of Page

36paws20hooves
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Danielle
Weirsdale Florida
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  11:11:33 AM  Show Profile
OH MY WORD!!! I posted my funny after reading only the first few of these. I am now laughing so hard I am crying!! You girls are all so funny!!

I'm so busy I don't know if I just found a rope or lost my horse!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Your funniest kitchen oops!! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page