Page: of 3

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  09:14:59 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I made four of the most beautiful pumpkin pies you could ever see. I gave two to the neighbor. My hubby took a huge bite and informed me that I had forgot the sugar!!!!!!

Back when I was first married, I made my first blackberry pie. Lattice top and all. My BIL and Hubby took huge bites. They spit it out. Turns out that the bowl I left the berries and sugar in to mix was painted with LEAD PAINT. Left a nasty bitter taste. Welcome to country life!!!

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  09:25:30 AM  Show Profile
Oh Amy, doesn't it always seem like the big oops are the ones where we are sharing something with someone?!!

When hubby and I were dating, we used to love to go eat clam rolls at different places. You know the fried clam strips, then put on rolls with tartar sauce. Anyway- for our first married dinner together I thought I would make those for us to have at home. I cannot remember if I read the cooking instructions or not, but instead of baking them like I should have, I thawed them then tried to fry them in a frying pan. Not only did I almost destroy my brand new pan, but they were burned and yucky, lol! More of an inexperienced cook problem than an oops maybe, but I eventually taught myself to cook, and I hear I am pretty decent at it now!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  09:46:37 AM  Show Profile
My very first Thanksgiving Day turkey---Major ooops

I neglected to remove the little bag with the giblets, neck, liver, etc.

Just gross cutting into the bird and discovering my error!

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
www.andsewitgoes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  10:23:16 AM  Show Profile
When I was in high school and very new to cooking, my mother had me make mac and cheese with one of her hand written recipe cards. It called for 1 box macaroni. Never said anything about cooking the macaroni. Although I did have the thought that it was strange to mix in raw macaroni, I assumed that it was somehow going to cook and soften in the oven (some people do that with lasagna, right?). Well, it didn't cook and my mom laughed at me (well, everyone laughed at me) and said that cooking the macaroni was just an obvious "given". LOL....whoops!

I am also famous for forgetting the little paper triangle in the stack of taco shells until I can smell it burning in the oven...

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  10:33:04 AM  Show Profile
I was trying a new recipe after my hubby and I returned from New Orleans for blackened redfish.
It said to cook it outside as it produced a lot of smoke. I missed that part!
So, lots of smoke, the smoke detectors go off, which triggers our alarm sysstem.
As I'm trying to get everything under control, my 4 yr old nephew, who was visiting, ran up to me, grabbed my apron and said "Aunt Michele, I like MY food cold"
Omg funniest thing ever.
p.s. the fish was good
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  10:39:06 AM  Show Profile
LOL when I was an inexperienced cook and trying to impress my new boyfriend with a Christmas goose dinner, I tried to cook the goose in a microwave...underdone, greasy and tough as shoe leather =P

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  11:44:59 AM  Show Profile
In junior high school home ec class made cinnamon toast with salt instead of sugar. We didn't want the teacher to know so we tried to eat it. I've made MANY errors through the years but still remember this one from 46 years ago.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  11:47:34 AM  Show Profile
Dolly Domestic here baked a chocolate sheet cake and figured there would be no problem baking it in two layer cake pans. Probably would have worked had the pans not been waaay overfilled. As it baked, it ran over the sides and deposited itself in the bottom of the oven which, after the cakes were done, looked like a giant litter box!
Oh dear...sometimes the brain really doesn't engage. :)
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  11:54:22 AM  Show Profile
Funny, a lot of these are about the first time we tried to impress a man :) Mine is no different. I had just started eating meat again after being a vegetarian for 8 years and to impress my new carnivore boyfriend, I decided to make Steak au Poivre. The recipe called for 4 tbsp. whole peppercorns, crushed, partially with mortar and pestle. What I didn't take into consideration was the 4 tblsps. was for 6 steaks...it creates a nice crust on the top of the filet. So, I happily used my mortar and pestle and coated these two, 8 oz. filets top AND bottom with the black peppercorns. Poor Justin!!!! It was so hot you couldn't eat even 1/2 of the filet, and because it's pan seared and creates a crust, you couldn't really get any of it off. Luckily, my sides were horseradish mashed potatoes and creamed peas. He will still say to this day he married me for my cream sauce (not, apparently my Steak au Poivre!)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kerbear
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Kerry
Middle Tennessee
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  12:36:45 PM  Show Profile
The first year my husband and I were married, living in a condo in Seattle, I tried to make Apple Fritters. Keep in mind, although I am from the south (born and raised in GA) I do not fry anything. Never have. So for my first frying experience, I put the exact amount of oil in, turned up the heat as directed and waited a few minutes for the oil to heat up.
As I threw in the first scoop of dough, it immediately began smoking and caught fire! Our condo filled with smoke. Crazy me grabbed the pot and held it outside a window (thankfully it was an empty alley and not on the main street), thinking that the sprinklers were going to go off.
Finally my husband grabbed the lid and it was thankfully all over. Little to say, I did have blisters up my arms due to the hot oil hitting me.
As of today, I am still not allowed to fry anything.

~Kerry Anne
Farmgirl Sister #975
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  4:23:11 PM  Show Profile
trying to impress my husband's friend shortly after we were married. I made a wonderful potroast dinner..or so I planned! I had gotten a crockpot for our wedding and was dying to try it out.
I careful watched the pot. I made sure to cut the perfect sized potatoes. Every carrot carefully sliced. Each onion a tender ring f goodness.
However, if you don't remember to take the paper protector out from between the heating unit and the ceramic pot, your whole meal will taste like burnt ashes and your kitchen smell like singed hair and no one will eat your lovely dinner. To ice this beautiful cake of a meal, do NOT remove the paper from the crock pot afterwards and let your husband's friend see it..YOU WILL NOT LIVE IT DOWN!! lol

Ahhh..the fun of learning to use my own kitchen. ;:)
hugs

"I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go." ~Abraham Lincoln

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  5:44:21 PM  Show Profile
Funnny stories. I can't think of any thing that funny I did, but when my daughter was six, she wanted to bake a cake all by her self. She very carefully read the instructions "Mix by hand 500 strokes" ( or something like that} Anyway, there she was, standing on her little stool, mixing that batter with her hands, counting away. We ate it anyway, it was sweeter!

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  6:16:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jonni! I thik you this calls for his kitchen oops too!....I can never forget spagoetta!! & one of these days, we may make it!
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  7:28:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh girls this is fun! Thanks Amy :)

After my husband and I were married I decided to bake him a cake for his birthday. I am a decent cook/baker but I was impatient this time. I thought that I had let the cake cool off enough, but didn't. I was so excited to make my honey this cake, a Cafe Au Lait Cake I saw in Country Living Magazine. I started to frost the first layer and then added the top layer. As I was frosting the top and sides the cake started to fall apart and crumble from the middle! I am so glad that it wasn't an emotional time of the month because I would have started crying. Instead I tried to prop it up and placed it in the fridge to somehow 'hold' it in place :) When he came home from work I presented him with his "Journey To The Center of the Cake"

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  9:46:51 PM  Show Profile
This is more than a Kitchen OOPs. The kitchen oops was only a step in the journey.

We raised two turkeys one year with the end goal of fresh turkey for Thanksgiving. Along the way my husband got quite attached to them and kept putting off the dirty deed ... and putting it off, and putting it off and putting it off. He tried lame excuses such as "he didn't think they were big enough yet".

Finally I had to take a tough stance and under threats abound Sam met his demise.

First stop, the bathroom scale. 38 lbs. (That is not a typo!)

Second stop, the kitchen sink. However...38 lb turkeys do not fit in kitchen sinks so washing it up was an adventure.

Place in roasting pan. Oh, yeah, 38 lb turkeys do not fit in roasting pans. No worries, I go to town and buy the largest aluminum foil roasting pan available.

Try again, place in roasting pan. The sides may be laying over from the weight but it fits!

Next put in oven. Good news, ovens are meant to hold 38 lb birds although the bird itself will touch all sides of the oven.

Just when you thought that was the end...
GREASE FIRE. It is apparent now that a 38 lb turkey contains a significant amount of fat, which drips out of the sides of the pan already crushed from the weight of the turkey. Flashes of light jump out at you thru the oven door.

I think it tasted good tho.

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

LBP
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Linda
Goodview VA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  05:20:15 AM  Show Profile
What a great way to start my day reading these! My oops was when I decided to make homemade sugar cookies for the first time. We were newly married and living in a mobile home. I got the dough ready then realized it said to chill in the refrigerator for an hour. I decided to skip that step. When I tried to roll out the dough it stuck to everything! I got so frustrated that I grabbed to dough and threw it up in the air. It stuck to the ceiling!! I started crying, DH came in and started laughing, which made me more angry and I refused to get the dough off the ceiling. He climbed up and got it down, but it had forever made a stain on the ceiling that reminded me to be patient and follow the recipe!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  05:23:10 AM  Show Profile
Lisa! Oh YEAH, Spagoetta....I try and try to forget that one...at least that was Jus's "oops". Last night, he redeemed himself quite nicely with a chicken tortellini with bacon, green onions, peas and a light Boursin cream sauce. He's come a loooooong way from Spagoetta!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  05:54:17 AM  Show Profile
I don't have any, my Mom taught me young how to cook. I do have a funny one about my ex-husband though. One of his first meals he tried to make our two kids was boxed macaroni and cheese. He just didn't drain the macaroni before adding the milk, butter and cheese packet. Needless to say, they had macaroni and cheese soup!

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  06:49:54 AM  Show Profile
When I was growing up, my mom never let me cook, she didn't want a mess. So only one month after being married, my DH signed me up to make pies at his job! OH MY GOSH!!! Well I got out my cookbook and started. After 3-4 crust, that I threw in the trash, I finally got two that I'd let him take. I told him to never sign me up for pies ever again. But on a lighter note, I now can make a blue ribbon pie!hahaha His mom was a wonderful cook and he just couldn't imagine me not knowing how.Should of ask befor the wedding!!

Blessings, Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  10:25:21 AM  Show Profile
During college, I spent a summer on an exchange program in France. When the program finished, I spent some time on my own and met an Algerian. My girlfriend and I wanted to cook him and his cousin a typical American dinner. So we chose steak and green beans. I went to the market and purchased "un kilo des haricots verts" forgetting that a kilo is 2.2 pounds!! We had LLOOOOOOOTTSSS of green beans.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  12:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
My first set of pots and pans was cast iron, even the saucepans. My parents were coming to visit and I wanted to make a Lemon Meringue Pie. Everything went real well until I added the lemon juice into the cast iron saucepan!! Turned a LOVELY shade of gray and tasted "kinda funny!!" LOL!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  12:44:33 PM  Show Profile
It was when I first dated HB. I was going to make him Tacos from scratch. I was cooking by the stove light, not by the overhead kitchen light. I was reaching for the taco seasoning and picked up cinnamin instead. (they were in the same kind of cannisters). it soon bwecame apparant when the cinnamin heated up that I used the wrong ingredient...we still laugh at my cinnamin tacos...
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  2:48:48 PM  Show Profile
My funniest oops was my first roast chicken. Put it in the roasting pan, put on the salt and pepper. Forgot to put any water or anything like that in it. Cooked it about four hours. Didn't know any better. Needless to say it was horrible. Dry as a bone. At least the side dishes were good.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  2:19:23 PM  Show Profile
Stir-fry that I'd made dozens of times. I was yapping away on the phone to my best friend, reached up to get the cornstarch and scooped baking powder into my stir fry instead! Mount Vesuvius erupted from my stir fry pan! Tried to salvage dinner by rinsing it and making a new sauce. Didn't have a chance to taste it before I served it to my new husband when he came home from work with the warning that it might not taste quite right. The poor dear tried to choke down the salty mess until I tasted it and snatched his plate crying out "You CAN'T eat that, it's AWFUL!". We had canned baked beans for dinner that night.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  3:46:01 PM  Show Profile
The first time a tried to cook rice in a pot, which I had no idea how, the rice came out in the shape of the pot. It was so funny, I saved the pot to show my best friend. I kept it in the refrigerator. She taught me that day how to cook rice in a pot.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  11:34:38 AM  Show Profile
A Martha Stewart turkey. The first step is to soak cheesecloth in melted butter and white wine and cover the turkey with it. Then you put it in the oven for 20 minutes, I think at 450. She neglects to says that it will smoke, turn black and set off all the smoke alarms.

My husband spent the rest of the day peering into the oven every 15 minutes and saying "I can't believe you burned the turkey." Over and over again. Actually it was picture perfect and tasted wonderful but that first step is a little scary.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Your funniest kitchen oops!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page