Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What a deal Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  06:48:08 AM  Show Profile
Because we are a rural area vendors come in from other cities for our farmer's market. I had been hoping to talk with one couple that lives in a little town where I found mention of a farm that raises sustainable chickens. I hoped to buy some processed birds. Next thing I knew he was offering me 20 that needed to be processed, but they were free to come and get. Now way! As this was end of market on Sat, I had a friend coming in on Sunday for a week and hadn't yet talked to the BF, I was in a head spin. Fortunately, the BF said 12 so that was what I picked up and promised them peaches and apples as a trade which they were loving. They had just run out of time and couldn't get to these birds, which after spending an entire day I so understood. These birds were huge! 8 pounds easy and wouldn't fit in my little roaster. I'm still working on canning up the chicken broth and canning up some chicken too. Put most in the freezer, but never trust the power out here.

The sad part is that they are in foreclosure, so I think that was the other reason they needed to move the birds. So sad, but we'll help them out with more than the fruit too. I went for quite awhile not really knowing anyone that the economy had effected, but lately it has come home. A few neighbors, a friend, and now these folks. These are crazy times.

Best Growing

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  06:54:54 AM  Show Profile
That is sad, hate to see someone loose their house to foreclosure do to whats happening in the country with the economy. That is very nice of u to help them out with the frut.
Jill Lillian
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  08:41:18 AM  Show Profile
Laurie, that is sad that these paople are facing such an uncertain time right now. But there are so many people struggling. I think we are in bad shape til I look around. I was at the power co the other day to make arrangements to pay our bill. There were so many others is such worse shape than us. There was a mother and her DD and she had a small baby. They couldn't pay either of their bills and the grandma told the little one she wouldn't be getting any shoes right now, that they had to come up with money to pay the electric. It's sad but this is the times we are living in.

But that's so good you found those chickens and are able to help this family out. We can all use help and when we can we should. It sounds like you'll have lots of good chicken and broth for the winter. Good for you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  07:00:46 AM  Show Profile
The one thing I've learned from the Boyfriend is about bartering. I was never any good at it, but it helps so many people that can't afford things. I'm getting better and everyone comes away the better for it.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What a deal Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page