prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  5:27:33 PM  Show Profile
do you gals have certain foods you have trouble using all of? Celery has always been my food i have a hard time with... it gets to the point where i'll eat it, even though i'm not crazy about it, just so it gets used! but i try to come up with creative ways to eat it, like "ants on a log" (with peanut butter and raisins" or with cream cheese....

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

beadbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Therese
Valencia California
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  07:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Growing up in a family of 6, we rarely ever had leftovers. I learned to cook for 6, so when I struck out on my own, I had a hard time cooking just for me. I would have friends over a lot, and that helped, but I rarely threw food out. When I married, we were saving money to buy a house and leftovers became a necessity. For some reason, our daughter doesn't like them, I have tried calling them 'planned overs', but a rose by any other name, well,... you know! I have a freezer, and when I cook larger batches, they get frozen in single serve containers so my husband has a good home cooked meal for lunch.

Elizabeth, you bring up an interesing problem with certain foods that can be hard to use up. I have often used a recipe that calls for two stalks of celery. So what to do with the rest? No one here really likes eating it raw. I have begun to dehydrate any veggies that I know I won't be using before they spoil. I used to just put them in the compost, thinking that at least I wasn't 'really' throwing it out! But dehydrated foods can be stored in glass jars, or if you have a vacuum sealer for long term storage, and used later in soups.

Therese
Farmgirl Sister #1217

If you ask me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you: I came to live out loud. ~Emile Zola
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  11:20:48 AM  Show Profile
I adore leftovers for luch or even breakfast the next day, but I tend to get burned out on them after that. My hubby hates them though! I've learned put enough in the fridge for me for the next day's luch and stash the rest in the freezer. A month later pull it out, reheat in the oven, serve, and hubby is none the wiser! ;)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Sister #1213
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  1:15:15 PM  Show Profile
I read somewhere that if you store celery wrapped in tinfoil in the crisper it lasts for a much longer time than if just in plastic.

I always like to throw celery in stir frys and cold soba noodle salad (with sesame oil, peanuts, green onions, and mandarin oranges - yum!), not to mention tuna or chicken salad.

I agree, though. It's hard to use up all that celery! Here are a couple links about using celery in other ways:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2007/04/celery-more-than-just-diet-far.html

http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-archive/32/176192.shtml - for roasted celery

It just occured to me, but I guess there is such a thing as leftover ingredients, too! :)

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  08:06:11 AM  Show Profile
The leftover ingredients part is where I run into trouble, and I hate wasting food. Now that we have chickens I can feed them the produce and bread products, and then we get eggs so that works out nicely. Otherwise I try my hardest to find recipes that use up things - I have a hard time with celery too.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  03:25:32 AM  Show Profile
Leftovers for sure!

I don't but pre made meals so a huge portion or pan will last a week so I don't have to cook....especially in the summer when we'd all rather be outside.

And whenever we go out to eat, I always take home the uneaten. It's indeed a waste to not and always tastes better the day after. Also too, portion sizes are huge and I just can't eat like a teenager anymore. It's not worth the overstuffed/half sick feeling afterward.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  04:35:44 AM  Show Profile
I LIVE FOR LEFTOVERS!!!! I keep two large bowls in the freezer for them. One for that spoon or two of veggies and one for the 'bone pickins' my DH calls them. If we have broth or drippins from any meat it goes in a ziplock bag and gets put in the freezer as well. Gravy freezes nicely as well. Once a month I pull out all the broths, veggies, meat pieces and any brown gravy, throw them in a big pot and instant soup! My kids love fridays cause it's empty the fridge day. Everybody gets the non-soupable leftovers that had to go in the fridge. I also mix up three times what a recipe calls for and waxed paper line two pans to fill and freeze. You can pop the frozen uncooked meal out the next day and put it in a ziplock bag or wrap tightly and keep for weeks. My girls get to cook once a week out of the freezer and love it. You can also re-do most leftovers with a can of cream of mushroom soup and some shredded cheese into a whole new cassarole type dish. Try frying day old spaghetti that's soaked overnight in its sauce. Yummy!

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  08:35:04 AM  Show Profile
I take leftovers almost everyday to work...I save on an average of 4 to 7 dollars a day because I dont order out for lunch!

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Go to Top of Page

sw80689
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Sharon
Papillion Nebraska
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  1:24:06 PM  Show Profile
Love leftovers! I cook in large quantities so we have left overs during the week when it is harder for me to cook dishes that take a while. I struggle to keep my grocery bill down so left overs helps me stretch the meals. Some dishes taste better the second time anyway! My mother would have a fit if she saw any of us wasting food, she grew up in the depression and always taught us to be very frugal with food and cooking.
Blessings,

Sharon

*We are all angels with one wing, the only way to fly, therefore is to embrace one another*
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  8:08:27 PM  Show Profile
I like left overs for the next day's lunch and if there's enough I just create another dish. DH has an issue with leftovers though for some reason.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic the great leftovers debate Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page