prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  4:35:14 PM  Show Profile
i'm a HUGE fan of leftovers! i purposely make enough dinner to last 2-3 days and then maybe more for DH's lunch. I enjoy the days when i don't have to cook, but know i have a healthy, fast, homemade meal ready for me to heat up.

But I know many who hate leftovers, including my in-laws. so i was just curious... leftovers or no leftovers, that is the question. why or why not?

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  5:57:13 PM  Show Profile
I love leftovers!! And we generally have them because at one point we were a family of 6 now we have three but I haven't adjusted my recipes:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  6:11:07 PM  Show Profile
When all the kids were still living at home, and the extras that were always around at supper time, there were NEVER any leftovers,lol. But, now that its just my G/son and i, we usually have enough for an other dinner, ot at least a big lunch.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  9:15:28 PM  Show Profile
Love leftovers. We try to see how long we can make a meal last, or how many different meals we can make out of one thing (you know...how many different things can you make out of what's left from that giant turkey or ham?).

My sister however will not eat leftovers. I don't know how she picked up on that, though, since we wouldnt' have eaten much growing up if we turned our nose up at leftovers. She invited me over to eat once and was going to throw away uneaten (not even touched!!) meat - chicken one time and steak the other. She was just about to slide it off the pan into the garbage. I made some horrific noise and she stopped. "I'll take that home if you're just going to throw it away" I said...so I know if I eat at her house, I'm going home with food I can do something with!!

I don't get the no leftovers thing. But to each their own, I guess!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  06:36:56 AM  Show Profile
I rarely eat the same thing twice unless it's chili or some sort of soup like that. Heck, I don't even make the same meal really, more than once every 2 months or so. I'm not opposed to leftovers, but I really like food the first time, much more than the next day...it just loses something in the flavor/texture for me. Also, it's been just my husband and I for so long, that I really just make enough for the both of us, and if there's any at all leftover, it goes into the dogs bowls. They really appreciate it :) Maybe with our daughter growing now, I might make a little more to keep on hand, but I recall as a kid really HATING to have meatloaf 2-3 times a week in various "designs"....

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  07:06:50 AM  Show Profile
I love leftovers, though with the kids getting bigger...14 year old son & almost 10 year old daughter...there are rarely leftovers, unless I cook huge portions like a school lunch lady! ha! They enjoy packing leftovers in their lunchboxes, and so does hubby. I also enjoy having something already prepared for my lunch the next day(s).

--June
Farmgirl #545
www.RubyJunes.blogspot.com
www.RubyJunes.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  3:11:00 PM  Show Profile
Seriously!!! In these times who would throw away food? We always use up leftovers. I plan my menues for the month and I will try to make two meals out of one. If we have pork roast one night then a couple nights later I will make bbq from the leftover meat. Or roast chicken, then a couple nights later chicken tostadas. I was just raised to be frugal.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  5:02:37 PM  Show Profile
my mom would ask, do you want musgo, everything in the fridge MUST GO. Gone are those days, my husband will scrape the world, so that there is not a drop of left overs.

See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  5:54:23 PM  Show Profile
amy, i thought it was so funny... make a horrific noise and ask if you can take it home. i'm the same way! i especially hate when i'm at someone's house and they throw away something that is a treat to me. i was at my best friend's house and she made me throw away my leftover avocado... i can't afford to buy those, let alone throw them away! but i couldn't eat another bite and it's one of those things that doesn't keep well... i was crushed. i also hate when people don't doggy-bag restaurant meals... i live to have a second or third portion from a restaurant! because i rarely eat out!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  6:54:06 PM  Show Profile
We do leftovers - we call them "Remains of the Day" :) My husband and I cannot stand wasting food,especially meat.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  7:30:59 PM  Show Profile

I love leftovers!
The meals that I get a chance to cook I make so that there will be leftovers of this and some of that. That way I have a selection to choose from for lunch the next day, or BREAKFAST [yes, I eat leftover pizza or beef roast and gravy for breakfast. Why not? People eat waffles for dinner!].
My Aunt on the other hand, wastes food. Probably because she grew up eating whatever her and my Mom could get their hands on [they didn’t grow up in the best of circumstances].
My Dad is learning to cook and when I come for a visit I will often find myself with the remains of his experiments. Since he hasn’t learned to reduce his recipes I can end up going home with a great piece of pork roast or some really awful thing he tried to prepare. [It’s funny, I take it all home because he won’t eat it – but I despaired of his learning to cook and some of the stuff I HAD to throw out in self defense!]
He has gotten better though and the good leftovers are outnumbering the bad.
One day I asked him again, “Why don’t you eat leftovers?”
“Well, I guess I just don’t want to be committed.” he says.

It's not just Life-
It's an Adventure!
Go to Top of Page

flfycookie
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Judy
Sarasota Florida
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  5:06:06 PM  Show Profile
Love leftovers, mother in law lives with us and she said she hates leftovers, always had them when she and my father in law lived alone, never through anything away, now its a different story, she doesn't buy the food, nor cook it, so she eats whatever I put on the table, leftover turkey becomes several things, pot pie, soup, casserole, creamed turkey on toast, pork into stir fry, beef into pot pie, soup, bbq, anything, just use imagination. Love to cook and have leftovers especially grilled meats and veggies. Saves a lot of time as I work full time for Whole Foods Market.
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  9:34:36 PM  Show Profile
I love leftovers, because I have a large family (and homeschool my kids) and I can easily reheat them for lunch the next day.

But truthfully, unless I triple a recipe, I rarely have leftovers. Dh takes two "meals' to work with him since he works 12 hour shifts. And now that I have two teens,and a 10 yr. old that eats like a teen- we usually don't have enough left.
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  04:11:19 AM  Show Profile
I love leftovers too!!! Although if it is a meal I made specifically for husband or daughter and something I don't care for I won't eat them.
Husband will usually eat all the leftovers I give him.
If not, my 2 year old, Golden Retriever, Bear, who is still too skinny in my opinion, will eat anything I give him!! :)Well, there are a few things that I won't give him, but for the most part, he gets it rather than the garbage can!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  2:23:25 PM  Show Profile
I don't call cooking ahead as being left overs. I call them PLO's. "Planned Left overs". Roast beef especially. Big Roast = Hash, beef stew, beef salad sandwiches, beef and noodles. Having beef and noodles for supper tonight. I save all juices and or gravy for the PLO's. Mashed potatoes = potato cakes, potato salad, shepherd pie. I never cook less than 2 pounds of hamburger, goulosh, pizza, lots of different soup.

My menu schelule has every 10 days, ABC food. Already Been Cooked. The meal is planned around something from the freezer or fridge that has "already been cooked".

Belle
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  3:36:56 PM  Show Profile
I'm all for leftovers...with in a certain amount. i wouldn't want to be eating the same thing four days in a row LOL!!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  2:35:48 PM  Show Profile
Ditto for me! I have even gotten the rep of being the stock lady! (A name one of my friend's kids calls me.) If the host is a good friend and I know we are having turkey or chicken, I bring along the "stuff" to add to the carcass to make good stock. Then I suggest we put on the pot of stock to simmer while we play games or just sit and visit. If not, I just take it home and invite them over for soup some night made from "their" carcass! Faces are surprised!

Joy

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  3:01:41 PM  Show Profile
Not a fan of the leftover. Not sure why. We never really had them as a kid and I usually do not have them now. My husband on the other hand will eat or at least store in the fridge food but, I end up throwing most of it away.
D
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  10:41:18 AM  Show Profile
I love leftovers. Hubby takes it for lunch. Paul (my youngest) and I eat it at home for lunch. I love the nights I don't have to think and defrost stuff for dinner, just reheat from the fridge.
With three growing boys I don't imagine I'll have much leftovers in a few years. I'm having to get used to making big meals, my 8 year old is already eating like a teen!
Some things are just better after a day or two in the fridge. Chili, Western Mac, Roni (one of my grammie's recipes). The flavors get a better chance to blend.
We have a few friends that send us home with the leftovers when we have dinner with em. They know it will get eaten here, whereas they are more likely to throw it out.

Alicia

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson

www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  06:26:03 AM  Show Profile
I think leftovers are great, too. Because my husband is on third shift, his eating habits are all messed up. He has breakfast at about 6:00 in the evening, and leaves for work by 9. If I don't send him leftovers all he would ever eat would be breakfast and a sandwich. Because I homeschool, it's great to have leftovers for lunch. Having said that, my DS 13 is eating like a horse and there aren't too many leftovers.

Also, Countryside Mag did a book review of JD Belanger's The Complete Idiot's Guide to Self-Sufficient Living, he say's "If we all quit discarding food that we could eat, the impact on atmospheric CO2 would be the same as taking one of every five cars off the road." That's huge.

All of creation sings Your praise!
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  07:16:26 AM  Show Profile
Some foods we will have leftovers such as roast, chili, or soups. I actually think chili and soups taste better the second or third day. As for other food usually we just make enough for the one meal. My mother didn't like leftovers so as a child growing up we never had leftovers, she usually just made enough for one meal. With the exception being roast for soup and such.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  07:24:22 AM  Show Profile
My family (because of my DH's leading) doesn't care for leftovers and I hate the ensuing battle. So...MY leftovers go in the freezer, not the fridge. When they come back a week or two later they're not leftover anymore, they're new to you! I'm with Belle, lots of my meals are ABC, Already Been Cooked (I love that term and am going to adopt it for sure!).

Amy

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  11:00:18 AM  Show Profile
wow, cari, thanks for sharing that information... very interesting! personally, i just don't understand wasting especially food... maybe it goes back to the "starving kids in China" thing. though my parents never used that line on me, it makes sense to me. i figure if the food is there and it's cooked, why waste it? food is a special commodity to me.... i figure there are plenty of people in the world who don't have it, so i should be so appreciative of every ounce of it i'm able to have... and that means leftovers.

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  2:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
We love left overs in our house! Nothing ever goes to waste. :)
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  12:15:37 PM  Show Profile
My boyfriend and I both work and I love to cook, but not always every single night of the week! So leftovers are great, especially since we both take our lunches to work! :)

This past winter I made a TON of soups, including stock with leftovers. But I agree that I can only deal with a day or two of leftovers (our tiny apartment fridge doesn't have a big enough freezer to freeze leftovers) is all I can handle! More than 3 days is too much!

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  12:28:26 PM  Show Profile
I understand exactly what you're saying Elizabeth,
As a young person who lived on the edge of starving for a few years there, I don't take food for granted.
And if I can't use it for another meal I don't cook it.
We waste sooo much food here in the U.S. [I included when I started to be able to afford food].
Now I make an active choice to make sure food gets used.
The next thing is to get my Dad to stop making gallons of some strange experimental food because he's sure I will take it home at the end of the evening. %*( Yuck!
Carla

It's not just Life-
It's an Adventure!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic the great leftovers debate Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page