Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic New Pressure Canner! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  07:44:19 AM  Show Profile
I am so excited I just ordered a new canner! I can now do 20 pints at a time. That will save lots of time and propane.
I have started doing almost everthing in pints now that the kids are grown and gone.

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  10:42:28 AM  Show Profile
i too have the big canner. i love it actually i have 2. i use a propane restaurant stove outside in summer. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

basketmaker
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jean
Hill NH
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  12:56:21 PM  Show Profile
What is the name brand of the canner you girls have? 20 pints at a time sounds real good.

Jean from NH
Basketmaker
www.MurrayHillWeaving.com
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  5:37:33 PM  Show Profile
I want one of those too! I have a smaller one, I want to say 8 quarts? It takes forever to can applesauce in the hot summer, and pints work best for us, our kids are still young, we use about a pint a week in the winter, but the quarts seem to go bad before we can finish them (they get pushed to the back of the fridge). What brand did you decide? What kind of propane stove do you use Sherrye?
Thanks!

Cherian
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  6:40:05 PM  Show Profile
I have the big canner too! Have had it for years. With Strawberries in such a large abundance, I just made a couple of batches of Strawberry Jam and was able to fill it up with 1/2 pints. Tomorrow will do another couple of batches. My pressure canner is a Presto 800. It's capacity holds 24 1/2 pints, 20 pints, and 7 quarts.

gerri
Farmgirl #1197

Happiness is in the comfortable companionship of friends.
-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  07:17:39 AM  Show Profile
my canners are presto too. if you double your quarts to 14 thats the size i have. i have a wolf gas stove. we put it in our catering area. since we no longer cater i use it. works great in summer. i also cook for my animals out there. make soap etc.it is under a tent.my daffodils are just starting to bloom. so no berries in the yard yet.happy canning girls sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  07:42:59 AM  Show Profile
I now have 2 pressure canners too! Both of mine are AA, I have the 921 and 930. I can't wait for summer canning, I will have it done in no time! One of the reasons we bought the second one is when we go to Newport this summer and buy tuna, I will be able to get it done in one day. Oh my 921 does 7 quarts or 16 pints and my 930 does 14 quarts or 16 pints, but if I add additional racks when I do the tuna then I can process 32 half pints in the bigger one. That is where the bonus for me comes in because between the 2 canners I will be able to process 56 jars of tuna in one sitting!!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  06:34:07 AM  Show Profile
I got the All American 930 for Christmas. I've never pressure canned, so I'm excited, but nervous too...don't want to blow things up! ;)

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  06:57:09 AM  Show Profile
April- You will do just fine. I was terrified of using one and DH talked me into it, and I now own two. In fact last August was the first time pressure canning, even though I have water bath canned for years. Just make sure you follow the directions and there won't be any problems. For me the best part about having a pressure canner is that I now can year round. When I am done with the fruits and veggies of summer I take a short break and start on the other things I need. This winter I have done soups, beans, and some pork. Jump in and have fun.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  10:02:55 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the encouraging words!!! I am Very excited to try my hand at green beans, salsa and tomato sauce! I know once I get going I'll want to can everything in site! Thanks again for cheering me on!

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  11:00:04 AM  Show Profile
I love presure canning. i made an EXTRA huge batch of hamburger vegetable soup yesterday and canned 12 pints at one time while we were watching American Idol.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  1:46:31 PM  Show Profile
Love evryone's enthusiasm! I was just thinking about canning my own beans. Sure cheaper than paying for all those expensive cans at the store! Seems crazy that you pay so much for them cooked when you can do it yourself and can them! By the way, is it very time consuming?

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  2:28:21 PM  Show Profile
Beans are one of my winter projects. Canned pinto beans are great to have on hand to make into quick refried beans and they tast so much better than the store ones. I also made a double batch of baked beans and canned them, I won't have to make baked beans for another few years. April, give it a try-go ahead and break that canner in!!!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

CynthiaT.
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Cynthia
Alpena Arkansas
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  3:28:17 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a good recipe book for canning? I have had a canner for several years but I've only tried canning home grown green beans. I've only tried it once and it didn't turn out very good. And that was about five years ago. I would to try canning things but don't know what to can. I hope to real start cooking, canning, dehydrating, etc. once my house is built.

Farmgirl sister # 852
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  3:46:45 PM  Show Profile
The ball blue book of preserving is a great one and putting food by written by Janet Greene, Ruth hertzberg, and Beatrice Vaughn . I'm sure there are other good ones!

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

CynthiaT.
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Cynthia
Alpena Arkansas
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  4:21:54 PM  Show Profile
Thank you April. I'll look for it. Thanks for your help.

Farmgirl sister # 852
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  7:50:12 PM  Show Profile
your county extension agency has recipe books usually. charts on times and pressures etc. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  04:39:15 AM  Show Profile
I by every edition of the Ball Blue Book of canning they come out with. Each one gets better. The pictures are beautiful and the instructions are explicid enough for a beginner.
I have canned for as many years as I can remember but still love leafing through these books.

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Go to Top of Page

basketmaker
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jean
Hill NH
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  1:23:26 PM  Show Profile
Girls,

I love all the talk about the large pressure canners and now my daughter and I are in the market for one. Can someone tell me if there is a big difference between All American and Presto brands in quality? The largest Presto I find on-line is 23 quarts, is there a 30 quart one available? Can the AA 30 quart canner be used on a conventional gas stove or do I need a commercial stove?

Any other advice you have would be welcome. I've never used a pressure canner before, only the water bath canners.

Jean from NH
Basketmaker
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  6:40:47 PM  Show Profile
Jean-I use my 30 qt AA on a hot plate that sits on my counter, so no commercial stove needed. It has a tendancy to be pretty heavy when full, and I haven't purchsed a cannng element for my stove yet. I have no experience with the presto canners.

I absolutly love my AA's and they will probably outlive me! They have a metal to metal seal and no rubbber rings to replace. Also you have both a pressure guage and jiggler to go by (even though you don't really need the guage). It is made in the USA! You can find used ones on Ebay sometimes for a pretty good price. My only disapointment is that I didn't discover pressure canning sooner.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

basketmaker
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jean
Hill NH
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  11:32:18 AM  Show Profile
Lillian,

Thank you so much for all the information. You've answered everything that concerned me and we've found a used 30 qt. AA that we're probably going to purchase. I bet we end up wanting a second one so we don't have to pass it back and forth. Have a great day.

Jean from NH
Basketmaker
Go to Top of Page

sw80689
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Sharon
Papillion Nebraska
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  1:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Rea,
Good for you! I need to get one, too. Where did you order it from?
Blessings

Sharon

*We are all angels with one wing, the only way to fly, therefore is to embrace one another*
Go to Top of Page

basketmaker
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jean
Hill NH
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  11:31:24 AM  Show Profile
Rea,

I searched eBay, Amazon and other places on the internet. It turns out that the All American company has the best price I've found so far. The AA930 was listeed for $264.95 with All American and $317 on Amazon. Keep the cost of shipping in mind though. I checked out a local hardware store and they only carried the small Presto. Good luck.

Jean from NH
Basketmaker
Go to Top of Page

sw80689
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Sharon
Papillion Nebraska
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  3:16:13 PM  Show Profile
Jean-Thank you for sharing the information on where you have looked, that is helpful. I need to start looking and pricing.
Blessings,

Sharon

*We are all angels with one wing, the only way to fly, therefore is to embrace one another*
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  3:31:24 PM  Show Profile
Lillian
What kind of hot plate do you use? That sounds like a great idea for canning multiple batches at once!
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  07:08:22 AM  Show Profile
Lisa- I bought the AROMA brand one from Target for $20.00 and it works great! I will either be buying another one for the new canner or might splurge and buy the double burner one this time. I think the double one is by Oster though and have not tried it. DH and I considered buying canning elements for the new stove (because my canners burnt the old ones out) but since the hotplates work so well we are just going to keep on using them.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic New Pressure Canner! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page