Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What old fashioned things do you do?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What old fashioned things do you do? Next Topic
Page: of 4

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  7:28:04 PM  Show Profile
...I use what people would call "land line", other words... a telephone! *cracking up*

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  8:41:04 PM  Show Profile
I have a phone that...plugs into the wall, it's not cordless (gasp!) I guess that is old fashioned. I still listen to records and I use onion juice as a remedy for coughing! I but the same Watkins menthol stuff my Nana used!!

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  06:12:42 AM  Show Profile
Oh we have land line too!!! And I am not getting rid of it
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  07:35:50 AM  Show Profile
I have a land line too and I don't even have a cell phone. I am the only person in my whole family to not have one.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  07:52:55 AM  Show Profile
I have a cell but I have no idea what the number is. It's never charged and I always forget to grab it when I leave. This makes my husband so mad because he pays the bill! I am working on it!!

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

mamawolf
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Heather
Sublimity OR
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  12:39:17 PM  Show Profile
You ladies are all very inspiring! I have always thought of myself as a farmgirl, partially because I'm a farmers wife, own 2 farms, and stay at home to raise my three kids. But there is sooo much more I could be doing! I do iron, I did breast feed all three kids, I plant a garden, but have yet to can, I drive a Chevy pickup and I make meals to take to the guys when they are combining, and swathing. I can't wait to do more when we move to our new farm!

We Are,...American Farmgirls(and darn proud of it!)
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  3:07:57 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like you are farmgirl to me! If you are making lunch for men riding farming equipment then you are there!!!

Michelle

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  8:12:04 PM  Show Profile
Well, I may be in a suburban apartment now, BUT, I have taken up knitting and sewing again, paper crafts, plan to plant some container gardens in the spring on the balcony, making bread again, want to try quilting, inherited my aunt's spinning wheel and hope to learn to card and spin the yarn. If my little 'garden' yields some vegs and fruit, then do some canning? I have always wanted to try soapmaking, but never did. Sooo, maybe I will get brave and try? Basically I love all things now considered ol fashioned, always have. Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  8:30:47 PM  Show Profile
I think that I'm the only person that I know who does not have an ATM card. Yes, I still write checks or pay with cash. The ATM card machine kept eating mine when they first invented them so I cut mine up and vowed never to have one again and that was at least 25 years ago!
I also quilt, can my garden, sew, cook mostly from scratch, and grow a rose garden. I have a land line too.

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  4:25:44 PM  Show Profile
Channah, all I can say is WOW!

www.countrynmore.com
www.countrynmore2.etsy.com

http:// www.qualityfabricsandsupplies.ecrater.com

www.countrynmore.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  5:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh Sharon, I'm sure you can do more things than I can. I just try my best, but I know there is so much more that I could do. All you ladies are so talented!! I hope to be just like all when I grow up!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  7:17:32 PM  Show Profile
Channah, I know. It is just that my life is so busy with my business, taking care of my mother, and just family that takes up all my time. I like making things from scratch and I enjoy making jam from our neighbor's plums. I hope that with our new blueberry plants that I can make things with them as well. I enjoy blueberry jam.

www.countrynmore.com

Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  08:25:50 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, I think taking care of family and not putting them somewhere is old fashioned by today's standard. the fact that you can make anything with all that onyour plate is commendable.

Michelle

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  08:29:59 AM  Show Profile
Boy do we all have the same ideas or what, canning, scratch cooking, aprons, braids and bows etc. Ah the simple life!
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  09:01:15 AM  Show Profile
I guess that you are right. My days are full that is for sure. I help with my mom's house upkeep as well, shopping, and I do her yard work, etc.

www.countrynmore.com

Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  11:54:26 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful topic!

crochet my own dish clothes
make my own laundry soap
wear an apron
make my own gifts & cards
make the yummiest homemade popcorn on the stove
ride my pink bike
make a yummy Buttermilk Pie...to name a few!

ahhhhh, the simple life!

Hugs!
Maryjane Lee
Farmgirl #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com
http://sweetsassysadielee.blogspot.com
http://beehivecottage.etsy.com
http://sassysadielee.etsy.com

Edited by - Maryjane Lee on Feb 01 2010 11:24:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  12:34:20 PM  Show Profile
I really want to learn to make those dishclothes so bad! My mother-in-law made some for me and I used them until they fell apart and stuck in my kitchen drain! I like to make popcorn on the stove too. I really want to live somewhere that I can ride a bike.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  4:08:33 PM  Show Profile
Hmm. I'll focus on old-fashioned phrases I use absentmindedly, sometimes purposefully though.

Some streams are "cricks", but if I'm reading or it is a new place with no memories yet, I pronounce it "creek".

Also, sometimes moths are millers. Depends on what I'm doing and who I'm talking to. Sometimes the old fashioned word comes to mind first, or just fits better.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  5:58:01 PM  Show Profile
I still cook my beets outside in an old washtub over an open fire before pickling. It is such a hard job I say every year no more but always end up doing it again

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  08:06:27 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh Wilma that sounds like something I would like to do!! I love doing things my hand! It's so much fun!!! All you ladies are so talented! I am honered to call you all Chums ( I think that's spelled right).
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  3:12:12 PM  Show Profile
Right now I'm watching out on anything MJF and learning.

I am knitting my own sweaters and dish cloths. I'm getting ready to learn how to knit socks (mainly 'cause my feet are so big and I have trouble finding socks to fit).

I can sew, though not well yet.

I make my own laundry soap thanks to y'all. That started when my skin rebelled and I had the worst ever eczema outbreak in my life.

This year we're doing the garden and I'm going to learn canning and preserving.

I really want chickens, but DH is agains that and I don't think we can have them where we live.

So, thanks to everyone and everything MJF, I'm learning.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

kentuckywoman
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Majal
Ashland KY
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  5:24:52 PM  Show Profile
This thread is so inspiring! You all are such farmgirls!

I don't have a place of my own yet, let alone my farm I'm dreaming up but I have really been trying recently to do some old fashioned things!
Here are a few I can think of:

Try to eat and buy as many whole food items as possible
Listen to the record player
Listen to the radio (Ordering a hand crank radio this week!)
Ordering my first seeds (heirloom)
Learned to bake bread
Cook as much as I can from scratch
Making my first quilt and by hand
As I run out of beauty and personal care products, I am replacing them with all natural and organic products
Embroidery
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  7:39:02 PM  Show Profile
HuckelberryWine or Michelle,
Speaking of old fashioned words
how about 'ear bobs' (earrings) or 'tourist court' (hotel) or 'step ins' (panties)
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  4:15:01 PM  Show Profile
So true! There are definitely ear bobs and others are earrings. :)
I keep forgetting that so many daily life things in our house are "old fashioned". Reminds me of my grandmother when I was helping her in the kitchen about 10 years ago. I commented that some of her gadgets were "antiques" and she got a bit cross in a good natured way and asked if they could be considered antiques if she was still using them. I told her no, they were just right. She's 95. She still uses some of her mother's things. Bless her boots! Don't you just love the feel of the good old things that were made to last? Iron skillet, wooden spoon, glass jar, garden fresh beats teflon, plastic, imported any day.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  06:43:08 AM  Show Profile
I don't know whether this is old fashioned or just a humid, southern, thing...... At night time when going to bed, girls/ladies "air out". Hmmm, let me try to put it nicely. Using Debbie's phrase of 'step ins'.... 'step ins' are not worn at night to give ourselves a chance to have air flow....."air out". It's good prevention of moisture related irritations.

My friend, Lisa, upon moving down here in south Texas, was quite shocked when several of the ladies at a retreat started removing 'step ins' before getting in bed. She was too embarrassed to ask them, so when she arrived home, she sheepishly asked me about the custom and I replied, "Oh, they were just airing out". Today, 12 years later, Lisa is still a transformed "airing out'er".

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What old fashioned things do you do? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page