Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic $500 to spend? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  2:36:27 PM  Show Profile
If someone gave you $500 to spend, and you HAD TO SPEND it, not save it, what would you buy?

I would buy new roofing materials for the workshop, a new shower curtain, curtains, towels, rug for my bathroom, ahhhhh, $500 goes fast!

LifeSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kathy
DeKalb IL
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  3:18:44 PM  Show Profile
I would pay down debt. Not the most exciting plan, I know, but we're a little bit behind the 8-ball this month. Sigh.

Or I would spend it on my wedding.

http://getyourhookon.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  3:46:18 PM  Show Profile
I would buy all new livestock panels for the cow pen and 2X 12's for the raised beds and stock up on feed for the animals. I usually buy a month's worth ahead and it would be fun to be stocked up for a little longer.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  3:53:32 PM  Show Profile
I would have the couch reupholstered. Needs it bad :)

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  3:58:11 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking new couch! But also I need a new wardrobe . . . right now am losing weight and I look like I'm wearing clown pants. So far spent money on one pair of jeans, but don't want to invest more because the weight WILL continue to come off. But if I had $500, I could do some real damage -- some at Marshall Field's and some at the resale store!
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  4:04:07 PM  Show Profile
I would pay it toward our new basement.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  4:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Easy- buy soap, jam, candles and a couple folding tables oh and also an awning/cover for the market. Global industrial has these cool folding tables that fit into a car trunk but fold out to a large 72" table. perfect for the market. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket. The market here starts the first weekend in May.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

Edited by - celebrate2727 on Apr 06 2006 4:23:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  4:10:06 PM  Show Profile
I would buy the cement for the floor of the barn we want to build.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  4:13:38 PM  Show Profile
I missed out on a $100 treadle sewing machine at the thrift store and I felt awful. I couldn't buy it so I didn't. So I would buy a treadle sewing machine, and I'd buy a whole bunch of vintage linens for use and for crafts, and last, I'd get a (faux) barrister bookcase at Sam Levitz - it's the kind with the glass front panels that lift and slide inside the top of each shelf. Then the linens and quilts I've got would be displayed and I could see them easily to see what I wanted for craft projects. Then I'd have my own little corner! It's amazing what $500 could do when you think about it! Of course, what I SHOULD do is get one of those new heart CTs, buy the kids some shoes, and a new dresser for my husband. His is falling apart and it's covered with about a million stickers (literally - it's a piece of art!) because it used to belong to my son. Well, I don't have $500 anyway, but I love the thought! Thanks for the dreaming space!
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  4:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
I would pay my dentist bill. Boring

Valerie
Alaska Girl all the way
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  4:31:54 PM  Show Profile
More cabernet franc grapevines to plant in my vineyard... around 150 plants and an oak wine barrel or two.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  5:16:42 PM  Show Profile
ooo meadowlark! You're my kind of gal!
Go to Top of Page

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  6:37:03 PM  Show Profile
I'd buy the generator I don't think my hubby is gonna get for me,wahhhhh! I loved reading all the answers.there is nowhere in the world that you could actually get an overall comparison of what we'd do with our money.It's a great comradarie,yes?
Go to Top of Page

Paradise Creek Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Shellie
Oregon
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  7:46:30 PM  Show Profile
I would raise my island of dahlias with a river rock foundation.
Shellie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  7:57:53 PM  Show Profile
ROAD TRIP!!!!!! antiques! i just LOVE antiques!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  10:37:13 PM  Show Profile
I would take it on my trip to Italy next month and buy Italian stuff, Tiles, chocolate , and a big stuff bag to bring one of those good looking guys home with me ROFL One that cleans,cooks and feeds me Italian wine on the veranda!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2006 :  10:45:44 PM  Show Profile
Now YOU are thinking Shirley..haha

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  12:18:03 AM  Show Profile
Tonite a personal masseuse and physiotherapist would be my idea of a good thing. Spring bones is achin'!!

Di

http://www.daisyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  04:32:35 AM  Show Profile
I'd probably give it to my vet. I had several things going on last month, so my bill was $536. I wouldn't have to come up with much that way!
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  05:23:25 AM  Show Profile
Books. Lots of books. I'd prepay on MJ's next book and then get some of the cookbooks that have been mentioned on this forum. And a few other books that I've come across recently all related to this lifestyle.
The I'd start to feel guilty about not using the money for more important things so then I'd probably just narrow it down to prepaying MJ's next book and buying one other book so I'd have something in hand-NOW.
I can still dream.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  05:46:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh my! I can't decide.

A few weeks ago I would have automatically said books. But, I'm trying to break my addiction.....over 2000 in the house.

Today, the responsible part of me would pay off the orthodontist.

The logical part of me would buy my girls some shoes and clothes.

The fun part of me would pack up the car and take a road trip with my girls.....leaving Daddy behind at work......just a girls trip!! Yep, if someone handed me $500 today, we'd head to state and national parks for hiking and make a special trip to see Natural Bridge Caverns.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  06:20:22 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
I can related to everyone else. It is just to hard to decide. We could spend it on the house, the farm, on the kids, on the cars, on a vacation. There are just to many options. This very instance I would have to say save it for the roof, but then you said that we had to spend it. So I would have to say I would use it to pay ahead on some bills. Property taxes & insurance are coming up. By paying them early it is less we would have come up with later, and in the end help with the roof. We have got to get a new roof, even if nothing else gets done this summer.

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  06:47:48 AM  Show Profile
I'd put it in a bank account and offer my youngest sister a deal: This all goes towards a car for you if you graduate from high school and don't get pregnant.

Sad that I can't do that in real life. I'm not much of an example of what staying in school and being a good girl is supposed to get you.
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  08:08:56 AM  Show Profile
Fabric, all the colors of embroidery floss I want, yarns, trinkets from the antique store, etc...the bills can wait.
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  10:41:18 AM  Show Profile
I would put it toward the potting shed I have been wanting for 2 years and cant seem to get it done...
I should really put it on the credit card bill...but that doesnt seem very fun~~
And I'm with you Frannie...I love them antiques!
Jan
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2006 :  12:53:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Meadowlark ,plants and landscaping goodies!!! Glad to see you back Meadowlark, havent' seen you post in awhile?

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic $500 to spend? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page