CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  01:47:19 AM  Show Profile
A free and clear $500 huh? Hm. First impulse would be to purchase a KitchenAid stand mixer. I've been borrowing my neighbour's, and I'm hooked bad. I don't think I can do without one when Christmas baking comes around!

The next thought is to put it toward visiting a dear, dear friend in California. I haven't seen her in YEARS and really miss her. I've been contemplating visiting her, but money is tight...

Practically though, I'd put it toward my car. There are a few repairs I've been putting off cuz I don't have the money. -Cat
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  06:08:42 AM  Show Profile
New toys for the cats, yarn, fat quarters, yarn, embroidery floss, yarn, wool fabric and dyes, yarn, knitting needles....did I mention yarn?

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  09:27:48 AM  Show Profile
Mmmmm....I'd add it to my wall tent "fund" - all of these ideas are SO much fun to read! Maybe we could each set aside $100 of it and go on a joint "farmgirl road trip?!?!?!"

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  06:18:28 AM  Show Profile
Hey City Cat-herine!

You might consider a reconditioned KitchenAid mixer. You can get them from small appliance repair shops or Amazon.com.

I already have one but my mother has always wanted one and would not spend the money. My friend Mary has steadily updated from the smallest to the largest. She had one she was ready to get rid of. I offered to buy it but she said, "well, sometimes it growls. I'll just give it to you." I insisted on paying her ten dollars for it. All it needed was a new sealed bearing thingy! I paid $60.00 for the repair and it is like new. Not only that, it came with an extra bowl, two lids for the bowls, and a pour shield. All those extra parts are pretty expensive all on their own.

If you keep your eyes peeled, you can set yourself right up. The part I put into mary's/mom's mixer was the main and most expensive part so you really can't go wrong with a fixer upper!

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  5:10:08 PM  Show Profile
If I had $500 to blow anyway I wanted to I would buy a plane ticket to Montana to see a friend I have not seen in several years. Or go on a road trip to Charlottesville, VA, I have been wanting to go back since moving 12 years ago from there. For sure it would be spent on some kind of travel!

Hugs, Michelle

http://tangledthreadsandknottedyarn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rockinhorse
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Robin
yucca valley Ca
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2006 :  9:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Send rockinhorse an AOL message  Send rockinhorse a Yahoo! Message
If I was given $500 to spend anyway I want I would buy a used spinning wheel that was in good condition. I have friends with angora sheep and another that has alpacas and they just get rid of the fleece at sheering time and they promised it to me this year!! yeah..

Robin

Happiness must be grown in one's own garden!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  04:57:43 AM  Show Profile
ha! while honey hunk is away .. i treated myself to a $500. gift .. my new digital camera .. a CANON SD550 .. it is so teeeeeeensy but with a BIG screen (it's almost the size of the camera .. so i don't have to grab my glasses everytime i take a photo).

hmmmmm .. he'll have to go on trips more often (only not for so LONG!) xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2006 :  07:46:50 AM  Show Profile
I could buy a plane ticket to MJF Farm Fair!
Jan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic $500 to spend? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page