clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  1:09:09 PM  Show Profile
I have been suddenly hit the past week that I may come to a day very soon when I will have to grieve a loss. And it's going to be very hard for me because it's the loss of a dream. A dream of raising my very own farmgirl. I am a mom of 3 little boys and I am feeling myself stretched already. DH and I are back and forth weekly about whether we want to have any more children. Originally we said we wanted 4, but neither of us can see us surviving another boy. They are just A LOT of work, especially when they're all so young. I'm already realizing how fast my littlest guy is growing and I know that there will come that baby bug trying to bite in a few months when I'm longing for another newborn, but I think I might just be done and that makes me so sad I've always wanted a little girl to teach to sew, knit, cook, and garden. Someone whom I could dress in lace and ruffles. I'm seeing that dream fading and I feel like a part of my heart is dying.

Are there any other mamas of boys out there that had to face this sadness and be OK with it? Somedays I am OK with the thought of being done, but then there's the part of me that just holds out hope that I'll get that little girl. I'm totally frightened by the thought of becoming a family that I know that has 7 boys, no girls, and now their kids are having kids and they are only producing boys. Not that there's anything wrong with boys. I LOVE my boys with all my heart, but they are a lot of work in the early years.

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  1:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Siobhan,
I get what you are saying. I am a mom of four boys. I finally stopped at four, too, giving up the dream for a little girl. But, it has been good. My boys are 23.22.18.13 and now I truly couldnt imagine it any different. Someday soon I will be a mom in law and I hope a good one. Life has a funny way of turning out!

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com
www.renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  1:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I'm so sorry Siobhan!! I will keep you in my prayers!!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  1:49:53 PM  Show Profile
I was never able to have babies, but always wanted a little girl too. Blessings and peace. I hope that you can come to a happy decision on having another child or not. You're in my prayers =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  2:06:33 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ruralfarmgirl

Siobhan,
I get what you are saying. I am a mom of four boys. I finally stopped at four, too, giving up the dream for a little girl. But, it has been good. My boys are 23.22.18.13 and now I truly couldnt imagine it any different. Someday soon I will be a mom in law and I hope a good one. Life has a funny way of turning out!

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com
www.renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com

Rene, that is my hope too. I pray all the time that I will be the best mother-in-law. Maybe I am meant to have girls...just not now. Maybe I will have really close relationships with my daughter-in-laws. It's good to hear that someone else has done the all boy thing and gotten beyond the dream of having a girl. That gives me hope : ) Thanks!

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  2:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Siobhan, I don't know what it feels like to be in your shoes. I have 2 girls and 1 boy. But my yougest daughter is 8 years old and I'd be willing to bet money she can make any boy look like an angel. She has made a bicycle ramp minus the ramp, so hence a stopping block and came in gushing blood out of her mouth and knocked a tooth loose; nose dived into a pew at church playing tag with some of the other kids got black eyes and busted nose and mouth out of that one, streaks naked and jiggles every fat roll that she has (thank goodness I usually catch her before she gets out the front door or the whole neighborhood would get a show), can out-cuss, spit, fart and belch any beer guzzlin man and tops it off "That's a sign the tank is full!"

I do hope you will get your precious lil farmgirl. In the mean time, maybe you could teach your boys to sew and cook and those fun things. My son loves to help cook and he's really looking forward to putting a garden out with me this summer.

Sending lots of hugs your way~ Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  3:27:46 PM  Show Profile
Siobhan, I know a little bit how you feel. I always thought I would have more children too, no girls for me. One day I was feeling a little sorry for myself about my stretch marks and weight gain and wanting a girl. My cousin quietly listened to me complain and said, you know. My friend just had a daughter. She died in surgery to repair a heart defect she was born with. I bet she would have rather had a healthy boy than a sick little girl. That slapped me back into reality. I hope that you find the thing that helps you feel better about your situation too. Blessings.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

guerin
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Jennifer
Shandon Ohio
88 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  05:00:27 AM  Show Profile
I understand completely too. We stopped at two boys for several reasons and while I was sad on one hand, I was relieved on the other. Yes, I did want girls to spoil, but I have SO much fun with my boys. God knows what he's doing. I too pray to have a close relationship with my daughers in law. I am very very close to my MIL, so I have hope that it will be the same for my boys.
(((Hugs))) I know how you feel dear!

If money can fix it... it isn't a problem. (unsure author)

http://925frugal.com

Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  05:49:43 AM  Show Profile
I understand how you feel, but the other way I had two girls. Neither one of them wants to learn anything about being a Farmgirl. I don't what I did wrong. But back to you, When you become the best Mother-in-Law then Grandchildren follow. I bet you will have your sweet little Farmgirl then. I never had boys and now I have 3 handsome little Grandsons. It is funny how God works.

Blessings,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  05:58:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the encouragements everyone! *hugs*

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  08:10:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Siobhan- *hugs* I hope that whatever you decide brings you peace. *hugs* I think either decision will have it's joys and rewards as well as it's sad moments. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  08:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
If you decide to have another child I pray that you will have a healthy happy girl.Just a thought, my sister in law was blessed with three boys. They are all grown men now with their own families and yes, wives and daughters, and perhaps soon great-grand daughters. While her boys were growing up my sis in law always dreamed of having a daughter just like you do. It never happened so for one of her sons she taught to cook and another can cross stitch like nobody else and her third son cleans house for his family exclusively. Don't fret or worry there are still plenty of special things you can teach to a boy and special moments you can create for each of them.As for the ruffles and lace I guess you will just have to enjoy them yourself! Huggz to you.

"God made rainy days so gardeners could get their housework done!" unknown

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  07:44:24 AM  Show Profile
Have you considered adoption? I'm sure there are lots of little girls who need homes...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  08:41:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by electricdunce

Have you considered adoption? I'm sure there are lots of little girls who need homes...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com

Yes. We've definitely thought of this option. But, I think the biggest realization for us right now is that we might not be equipped to raise more children, whether we were to be blessed with a biological daughter or adopt one. I just feel some days that I am hanging by a thread at the end of the day. Boys are a LOT of work LOL :) Then we think about the possibility of just waiting a few years until the boys are a little older and not so mischievous anymore (if that ever happens) and then try again or adopt. But we don't know if we want to get totally out of the diaper age and start all over with it again. But that is a totally selfish idea and I'm sure if we still feel we have room for more in a few years we will change our mind about the diaper thing. It's extra difficult for me to think about though because we cloth diaper and that' an extra load of laundry every other day that I would have to pick up again, KWIM?

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  3:00:04 PM  Show Profile
As a mother of 3 boys, I look forward to some day of having a granddaughter or two!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  3:19:18 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
You never know though! ..... My mom had three girls.... and she wasn't planning exactly to have my brother.....and it happened! (kind of the other way around and it wasn't exactly like she was wanting a boy..) Sometimes God surprises you and says "HERE... You are having another! And it's a GIRL..."

I hope to have a little girl too. I don't have any yet. I'd like to, it just hasn't happened.I don't know what I will do if I have boys... (though I will love them just the same) On the other hand, My mother-in-law always wanted a little girl and she got three boys.... she decided to stop .... I just say ....Let God handle it..... if it is meant to be....it will happen!

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

http://maggielousdaughter.blogspot.com
(in construction!)

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  4:23:54 PM  Show Profile
I raised 3 boys and 1 girl, my daughter is a dream child (shes now 32, teaches middle school, and maybe has found her dream man), she was by far the hardest to raise because her Daddy and I worried a whole lot more about her, cause she was a girl. She is tuff and smart and beautiful, but when she matured and the boys started sniffing around, OMG, I thought my hubby was gonna end up in prison, he would answer the door, and absoulutly scare them to death, only a hand full survived his talks. She would be so damn angry at us for embarressing her, I would tell her I would rather her be mad at us, then her hurt, in any way, shape or form. Cause if that ever happened, I told her, her daddy would be in prison for killing the boy who hurt her. my boys were 100% boys, and got in their share of "boy" trouble, nothing ever major, and one of them did have a girlfriend that I wanted to string up (long, long story), but 2 ended up with a girl that we very much approved of , and gave us 2 wonderful grandsons. One other thing, remember "God has a special place in Heaven, for the Mother of 3 boys". When your boys marry, you will get daughters out of the deal, and maybe granddaughters too.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  6:56:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 1badmamawolf

I raised 3 boys and 1 girl, my daughter is a dream child (shes now 32, teaches middle school, and maybe has found her dream man), she was by far the hardest to raise because her Daddy and I worried a whole lot more about her, cause she was a girl. She is tuff and smart and beautiful, but when she matured and the boys started sniffing around, OMG, I thought my hubby was gonna end up in prison, he would answer the door, and absoulutly scare them to death, only a hand full survived his talks. She would be so damn angry at us for embarressing her, I would tell her I would rather her be mad at us, then her hurt, in any way, shape or form. Cause if that ever happened, I told her, her daddy would be in prison for killing the boy who hurt her. my boys were 100% boys, and got in their share of "boy" trouble, nothing ever major, and one of them did have a girlfriend that I wanted to string up (long, long story), but 2 ended up with a girl that we very much approved of , and gave us 2 wonderful grandsons. One other thing, remember "God has a special place in Heaven, for the Mother of 3 boys". When your boys marry, you will get daughters out of the deal, and maybe granddaughters too.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"

That's the only thing that scares me about a girl. DH likes to say (and sorry if this offends anyone, but I'll try to say it nicely), "we only have to worry about controlling 3 hoohas, if we had a girl, we'd have to worry about all the other hoohas that we can't control." LOL!

Go to Top of Page

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  11:39:22 AM  Show Profile
I only have one boy and we are stopping there. I was raised with four brothers so to me only having a son seems normal. However, yes there are moments that having a little girls seems wonderful but I'll tell you what, there is nothing like hearing my little eight year old complement me on how nice I look or put his arms around me and tell me I'm "the best mom in the world". I suppose I just don't think about what I don't have and instead completely love and enjoy that which I do have. I have faith that it will all work out for you because life always does. Jamie

www.JustAnAllAmericanGirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  9:20:24 PM  Show Profile
I have one daughter and one son and my daughter wants nothing to do with being a farmgirl. My son actually cooks better than her and can talk care of himself around the house better too. But I do have 3 grand daughters that love being with grammy on the farm so God does know what he is doing!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

sacredwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kristy
Narka Kansas
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  08:34:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see sacredwolf's MSN Messenger address  Send sacredwolf a Yahoo! Message
I guess I am really lucky you could say, I have it evened out 2boys, 2girls. My oldest and youngest are girls and two middle are boys and let me tell you the girls give me a run for my money. Not trying to make them sound bad because all my children are wonderful but wow girls are tough (at least my oldest). My youngest is not so bad yet but she is only two and a huge tomboy, already loves to fish, hunt and has to be right out there with all the animals all the time. Boys are more up in your face (which I like). I don't have to guess...if there naughty, they are naughty if they are good, they are good. But the best thing I can tell you is just keep your head up. We planned on stopping at three, we did not think we could handle anymore then that. I was tired all the time and finances were really tight but then came Autumn my two year old. We were not supposed to be able to become pregnant at that time but nothing is ever certain. When I told my husband he just turned around and walked away. He was actually upset. I was worried but happy. Actually loved the idea of having another baby but worried that I would not be able to handle another child. Now Autumn is two and neither her dad or I could imagine things any different. Four kids do take more then three on every scale of life but actually things are better for us now. I like I said before just keep your head up and if it is meant to be it will happen. Hope only for the best for you...HUGS!
Go to Top of Page

snowberryfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Michelle
Central Wa WA
USA
132 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  5:30:06 PM  Show Profile
I am all for adoption, and know many people that had all sons and went ahead and adopted a daughter. It has been such a blessing for them. Best of luck with whatever you decide!!

www.Snowberryfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  6:50:37 PM  Show Profile
Siobhan - it is tough knowing whether or not its time to be done...especially when you only have children of all one gender or the other. Hubby and I made the decision last year with only boys under our belt. It was tough, but we felt it was the right decision. Its very easy (I know because I was there a year ago) to sit on this side of things (meaning where you are) and imagine what life would be like with another child (girl), but one can't be sure of what the future holds. You wouldn't want to shoot for a girl in the hopes of raising a darling of a farmgirl when there's always the chance you might get anti-farmgirl kinda gal! Don't discount the tough work you're doing right now raising your little men!! It's a good thing! I think if you want to try for another child, then try for another child. But realize another child IS another child. Which, as we call it in boyland over here, could be chaos times infinity!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

LynnDinKY
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Kentucky
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  9:14:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey!!! I came after three boys! 5 years and 364 days after the last son was born. I happen to think that I was worth the wait! LOL!

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Proverbs 31:30
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  08:50:24 AM  Show Profile
I had three boys when I had the same desire of having a little girl. Number four was my little darling girl. I would have stopped at four no matter what. I can totally relate to the work of raising boys. Have you ever heard the saying- "Mothers of little boys work from son up to son down." It's the truth!! Your boys are so young, I'm sure you'll have plenty of time in the future to decide about having another child. And like others said you can teach your boys the same things you would teach a girl. One of my boys has sewn a pillow with my sewing machine and another loves to make things in the kitchen. And they all love to do crafty projects. But the lace and ruffles thing might not go over so well!! LOL

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  2:38:12 PM  Show Profile
Siobhan, I think if you reread your posts you will see you have already pretty much made up your mind. You are just coming to terms with your decision. It will be the right one for you and your family and that is what is truly important.Relax a bit and enjoy the roller coater ride of raising kids, theres no other experience like it!

Hugs MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic A sad realization... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page