Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Outdoors with children
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Outdoors with children Next Topic  

child in harmony
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Marcia
Middleboro MA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  2:34:23 PM  Show Profile
Share a favorite time or special moment outdoors with your child.
What does your child like to do and what do you like to do *with* him/her?

~marcia

www.harmonywoodsfarm.com
www.childinharmony.com

"Enriching,nurturing and inspiring Life with nature,animals
and the arts .. for the child and the child within"

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  3:22:47 PM  Show Profile
We flew the kite today! Well not really, the random gusts of wind = to my two year old flying. She had a ball and then didn't want to come inside for dinner :)

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  4:23:19 PM  Show Profile
Marcia, I love your blogs. I wish we lived closer to take some of your classes. I have 2 grown daughters. One had 3 dauh=ghters now. I have the youngest most afternoons. She's almost 7. She loves being outside. We work in the gardens. We takes hikes out back with the goats, dogs and cats. She loves hunting worms and frogs and bugs in general. She loves gathering eggs. We go on nature walks. I like doing things outside with my grands when they're here. They also have a trampoline and tire swing. Also they love riding the goat kids. That's so funny to watch them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  4:48:55 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday, hubby and I took our two granddaughters to Wakulla Springs to a Wildlife Festival. During the course of the day we saw two manatees swimming in the river, a bald eagle, osprey nests, many alligators, turtles and herons, we listened to bluegrass music and watched cloggers dance, had a picnic and took a one hour open boat ride on the Wakulla River. It was wonderful!!!! We had so much fun. There is so much wonder in children when they see the natural world and learn about animals. See my blog for photos!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Mar 21 2010 4:58:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  05:05:13 AM  Show Profile
My daughter is almost 8 and her favorite thing to do when the weather is good is chase butterflies (she knows not to hurt them) and to look at frogs, rocks, and birds. I don't believe in overscheduling children, that they need time to just be a child. She loves to watch birds and butterflies and knows just about all the names of the various species.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE

Edited by - texdane on Mar 22 2010 10:35:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  05:27:18 AM  Show Profile
Even though it was a blustery 44 out yesterday my son and I spent a few hours working in the yard. My youngest son is 6.5 years old and he loves helping me garden. We raked leaves out of flower beds, pruned back last years growth from the perennials and roses and picked up sticks. He is always asking me if we can go outside to work in the yard. He helps for a little more then half the time before he is off playing on his swing or running about looking for something new.

When I was a kid, I tried to spend every minute I could outside. To me a great day is one where I spent most of it outside.

Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Mar 22 2010 07:12:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  08:23:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Our daughter loves anything outdoors. But she really loves to dig in the garden dirt!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  09:24:12 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Just last week, my Bri got her first strawberry from her plant. She popped it in her mouth, closed her eyes, and enjoyed every moment. She did offer me a bite first. So I made a little mark in it.

We garden. She helps me plant, water, etc.

We also go to the park nearly everyday. She gets plenty of air and sunshine!!

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

child in harmony
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Marcia
Middleboro MA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  3:40:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for sharing.

Emily- that's so sweet about the kite. You know they love the outdoors when they don't want to come inside!

Kristen- oh thank you! It's so great to work at something you love. My Earth School will begin in April and I am sooo excited for that new venture. That's so great how you do things with your grandkids. That's what I have planned. My two grandbabies are 3yrs and 16 months.

I was inspired by a recent blog interview with author Sharon Lovejoy and what she had learned from her grandmother and how in turn what she does now with her own grandchildren .

Ohhh riding the goats! How fun! Goats are on my list but I really need to concentrate on getting horses trained under saddle first :)

~marcia

www.harmonywoodsfarm.com
www.childinharmony.com

Go to Top of Page

child in harmony
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Marcia
Middleboro MA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  3:56:33 PM  Show Profile
Shirley Jean - The wildlife festival sounds amazing. I love your pics. The granddaughter in the beeskeeper's hat is sweet. I almost couldn't find the alligator though! nature and animals and kids belong together :)

Nicole- Kids do have a special fondest for the littliest creatures, don't they? It's so precious. I am so with you on the not overscheduling. Kids..and adults too! need time to just *be* and time to decide what to do in the moment.

Dawn - Kids really DO like to be out in all weather don't they? I have to chuckle because my *helpers* last for a few minutes and then ask to go play. But play IS their work :)

When I was a child I would always beg my mom to give me *outside* chores to do, but being the oldest of six, outside chores were not much help to her LOL

~marcia

www.harmonywoodsfarm.com
www.childinharmony.com

Go to Top of Page

child in harmony
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Marcia
Middleboro MA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  4:03:27 PM  Show Profile
Alee - I notice that kids really do like regular soil. Sand is fine but the earth smells great and has living creatures in it. Many nature books for children actually recommend having a dirt pile or compost pile for kids to play in, full of discoveries like worms, etc. I will have to check your blogs.

Amy - That is precious about the strawberry. It's so awesome that you feel being outdoors is a priority.
oooh and another new blog to visit! can't wait :)

~marcia

www.harmonywoodsfarm.com
www.childinharmony.com

Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  7:11:07 PM  Show Profile
We hang out in our "pasture", kicking the deflated soccer ball around for our dog, Kami, looking at the clouds, talking... I LOVE it out there!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  07:47:53 AM  Show Profile
I have to say that we have so many things that we love to do outdoors, but think I have narrowed it down to two:
A picnic lunch. Just the whole act of putting the picnic basket together and filling it with the goodies--even if it's just peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! There is just something about eating outdoors--who cares about the bugs!!
Kickball. We are just a family of 5, but we sure do have a great time! We have a grouping of trees that are conveniently set up like bases!

~Teresa
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  10:12:28 AM  Show Profile
My little boy loves to plant sticks in the garden while my husband and I do the real work! haha He also loves going to feed the animals, especially the goats and the "gimmees" (guineas). As long as he's outside, he's happy!

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  12:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
My hubby found a puppy. So Bri has been spending even more time outside playing with the puppy. She is a 4-5 month old Brittany Spaniel. Pic's on my blog if you would like to see her. Hubby named her Katy. She is so cute.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

child in harmony
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Marcia
Middleboro MA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - May 14 2010 :  12:42:41 PM  Show Profile
Lindsay, that is precious! I know I always think the little ones will last longer in the garden than they do. In just a few minutes they either do their own thing( like planting sticks!) or else ask if they can go play. But just to have exposure to the natural world is enough and the rest will flow. That's what I believe anyway :)

Amy,what a precious pooch Katy is. Alot of work but so worth it!

~marcia

www.harmonywoodsfarm.com
www.childinharmony.com

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Outdoors with children Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page