Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Violet can't say "Mom" but she can say Happy B'day
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Violet can't say "Mom" but she can say Happy B'day Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  08:46:33 AM  Show Profile
I feel like it's a conspiracy She's said "Dada" or "daddy" in some form since she was 8 or 9 mos. old, but never Mom. And now, she says, "Appy Day tu ya" for "Happy birthday To you!" and "big dog" and a few other little things ("sssstop!") but she won't even make an "mmmm" sound unless it's associated with ice cream. I always thought that she would, in time, say "Momma" and that I shouldn't be too wound up about it...but at 15 mos it seems like she might try...

Jus, her Nana and I work with her often...when I say "MMMMMom" and point to myself, she laughs.

When did your little one's say "Mom"?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  08:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh Jonni, I hope she says mom soon. :)
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  09:43:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh too funny. I think all of mine said dada or papa long before mama came out. Have patience. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  11:03:52 AM  Show Profile
I think Dada is the easier one, Marybeth, but "happy birthday to you" before mom? C'mon!!! :) It makes me laugh, though, and I do love to hear her sing "ahpee day tu ya"...

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  11:09:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- what I did with Nora was take her hand and tap her chest twice and then take her hand and tap my chest twice while saying "Mommy". Also lots of Mommy books are good! *hugs* Good luck!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  11:16:43 AM  Show Profile
Good idea, Alee...I think she recognizes "Moms" b/c she has a Baby Einstein book called "Violet's House" and on one page, Violet's "Mom" is washing dishes and she always leans in and kisses the "mom"....I'll try to work with her...it's not that big of a deal, but when I hear the other things in her vocabulary, I'm thinking, huh?

Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  12:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
omg, she always leans in and kisses the "mom". that is tooooo sweet jonni.
i remember this with my kids as well. and i swear the oldest one would never mess her diapers on dads watch! go figure.
anyway, she sounds too cute for words!

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)
www.angeltree.etsy.com

check out the farm at:
www.localharvest.org/farms/M24434
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  1:42:20 PM  Show Profile
It is really sweet, Frannie...she's very lovey and I adore that! I think they do have special things they do for the "other" parent (aka "Dad-eee")...but I'll take what I can get, I guess. It's super cute to hear her "version" of Ba Ba Black Sheep, too. She gets the "Ba Ba" part down, but the rest is just goblety-gook!

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  7:02:11 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I giggled at this post. Reminds me of my daughter. Her first word was, kid you not, "Shoes". Then "Dog". Then "Dadda". Then one day, "mama". It will come, just give it time.
Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  10:56:03 PM  Show Profile
My little one was quick with the dadda as well. I think they say what is needed. Momma is always there so dadda has to be called for. My littlest still won't say please cause we always give her what she wants and she doesn't have to. I know she can say it cause she was yellin it wjen we brought the chickens home. She seen the cage of birds come out of the back of the truck and bellowed "Chicky! Please! Please!" So she can say it, she just doesn't need to. Your little one will just pop out with it one day when your back is turned and she's tryin to get your attention. You'll see.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  05:19:48 AM  Show Profile
All three of our grandchildren said dada first and early. And when we would say "Now say mommy", they would say dada again. It always makes my son in law smile real big! But in time they all say mommy, and Violet will too soon. Then she will say that the most!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  7:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Doug called me 'Janice' before he ever called me 'mom'. LOL. And he called me by my first name for most of his toddler years.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  07:12:30 AM  Show Profile
That's funny, Janice...our friends, Julie and Tom have two boys, Clay and Tate. They STILL call Julie "Julie" and Tom, "Tom" even at 10 and 7...whenever Julie would yell for Tom, Clay picked up on the inflection and he would "yell" too :)

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  4:38:37 PM  Show Profile
Jonni-wouldnt you know, Tori did the same dang thing. I was ready to pull my hair out. THey all said Daddy first with the exception of Charlie who has already said Mama. Don't rush it my dear friend. Im wishing now, theyd say Daddy more often..hehe :)

hugs

I think housework would be ever so much easier if I had those nifty Jedi powers. :)

Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  07:33:24 AM  Show Profile
Reading all these comments make me go back and remember my kids more---didn't think I forgot so much. My oldest called me 'Hon' for the longest time I suppose because that's what my husband called me. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Violet can't say "Mom" but she can say Happy B'day Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page