Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  05:42:51 AM  Show Profile
My goal for 2010 is to learn how to make soap! I have bought the book "The soapmaker's companion" by Cavitch, and I have a question: can you use an electric mixer that is not a stand mixer? I only have a portable (two-beater) one that you have to hold onto while using it.

Any other advice for a rookie soapmaker? I am going to use a wooden cutlery tray from my dining room buffet (you can remove the dividers) as my mold, and line it with parchment paper. Would this work ok? If things go well, I plan to make a wooden loaf-type mold.

Please share your advice!

Thanks,
Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  06:00:17 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful goal for 2010 Lori!!! I have made about 20 batches since July, and love it!!! I tried using a little soft soap on my hands last week, and boy did they break out! I will never use store bought soap again....
I use a stick blender for my soap. It cost, I think, $15.00 and it's wonderful!!! I have never used a mixer so I can't help with that, but I thought I had read somewhere once, that a mixer introduces too much air into the soap. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Also, the very first time I made soap, I went crazy looking for something to mold it in. Finally, I grudgingly decided to use one of hubbys empty cedar cigar boxes. The soap turned out wonderful, I can make either 8 or 10 bars, (2 lbs.) depending on whether I want them chunky or thinner, and it is so easy to line. Also, has a cover if I decide to insulate the soap overnight. Your mold should be fine. One tip I've learned is to buy rolls of shelf paper, or contact paper it's called too, for lining my molds. Don't expose the sticky side, just cut to fit, and you can use the same paper at least a few times, before having to throw out and cut a new piece.
Have fun, it is definitely an addicting hobby! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  09:26:47 AM  Show Profile
Lori, me too. I just learned and am addicted already. I made my first batch a few months ago and already gave some as gifts. I really didn't know what I was doing. I am French Milling. So yesterday I made a honey-oatmeal-goat milk soap. And a goat milk- lavender soap. I made another batch of base this morning. I still have about enough base to make maybe 3 or 4 more different soap batches.

I used one of my long chicken feeders for a mold. It works really good. I also use glass baking dishes. And I found one of those grey silverware trays restaraunts use. It has 4 half round sections. Also boxes make great molds, too. And you can use PVC pipe with the caps on the ends cut in half or if you want round soap, the whole piece. You have to grease them really good. I use butcher paper and wax paper because that's what I have now. And when they are curing I put them on my wire shelf with embroidery plastic so they can breath.

Oh, this morning when I was stirring the lye water into the oils I got tired of stirring and used my hand mixer. I just did it for a minute or two. It did get frothy but thicker. I want to get a stick blender.

How are you making yours? I have seen so many different ways to make soap.

We need a whole section for just soap making here. I like to go over to the Soap Making Forum and just look at the pictures of other people's soaps. So many different kinds and combinations out there. I wonder how to go about setting up a thread devoted to soap making? Any ideas?

Good luck. Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  09:27:54 AM  Show Profile
I saw somewhere someone had a box mold where the sides come unhinged and fold down. How handy is that? I want to see if Truckin' Man can make one for me.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  10:36:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I forgot about the round soaps! Kristin, for my very first round soaps, I used an empty pringle's can! It was so easy, and I loved the shape.
I like your idea of the silverware trays, I'll have to start looking for one.
I made soaps for quite a few people for Christmas gifts. I love my lavender soap, but have found that in the winter, with my skin, it's best just to have the plain ones...
Now, I am working on perfecting a very mild soap, for my new grandson who's due on Feb. 15!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  11:16:20 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, a friend of mine's DD just had a baby boy in Oct. And he's already super sensitive to all the baby soaps. So I made the honey oatmeal for him. I am now making a plain goat milk soap and will put it in the chicken feeder mold. I like how those bars look.

How much do yours weigh? And do you use Vitamin E at all? I ran out of that and have some Borage oil. I thought I'd put some in the plain soap. Not much. Maybe a tablespoon. It's supposed to be good for the sensitive skin.

Good idea on the Pringle's can. Just about anything can be used for molds. I didn't find many of the real soap molds at the craft store I liked. So I am trying to come up with other things that I have around. And it's freezer paper, not butcher paper. Probably the same thing.

Congrats on the new grandson. Do you have others?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  1:23:43 PM  Show Profile
Please keep all the advice coming on the soap making, I also would like to try to
make my own soap, since I dislike store bought and use only handmade soaps.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  06:19:59 AM  Show Profile
Well, I was going to unmold my soap base I made yesterday morning and it is still soft. It's supposed to be very hard. So I set it out in the freezing cold laundry room out back and I'll see if that helps.

I think it's because the last time I made soap I only had enought lye to make a half batch. And when I was melting all the oils I noticed the pot was very full and realized I had been adding the full recipe for the oil. So I took half the oil out and finished making tha bease. It set up great like it's supposed to. Then I had to order the lye and it came Thursday. I don't know if using oils that have already been melted for a few weeks had anything to do with the base not setting. I might not have measured the oils right, too.

So now, can I try to rebatch this soft base? Help!

My plain goat milk soap turned out nice and white. Also did a peppermint with a chocolate swirl. My first swirl attenpt. It's so pretty. And smells SO good. Like chocolate mint. Looks good enough to eat.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  06:28:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the replies, ladies! I am so excited to get started on this. I am going to look for a stick blender this weekend (just a cheap one). I had a lovely deep stainless steel pot given to me (free, yay!), so this will be used just for soap-making, and the stick blender would work well.

Great ideas for molds! When you say you grease the molds, what do you use for grease? I read somewhere not to use shortening, that you had to use Vaseline. Is this right?

I will be ordering supplies on Monday (got my lye already from Home Hardware). I want to order so many fragrances, they all sound so good! Has anyone here ever made soap with Crisco shortening? I read about this yesterday, and was wondering how it would turn out.

I think a soap-making forum here would be valuable.

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  2:16:05 PM  Show Profile
Kris- Is it really, really soft, or just not quite hard enough? I had a batch of soap that I made in the fall that was just not quite hard enough, but I took it out of the mold anyways, and then it took weeks to harden up.
I think you can re-batch it, but I've never tried that yet.
Lori- I once used cooking spray to grease a plastic mold, and it turned the edges a yucky yellow, that I then scraped off. If you line your molds with something like freezer paper, or shelf liner, you won't need to grease anything!
I have made soap with Crisco, and it turned out fine, but my favorite recipe has olive oil, coconut oil, lard and castor oil! Smooth, creamy and lathers too!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  3:35:25 PM  Show Profile
Yep, I finally got it out of the mold and it's like shortening. I'm just going to toss it because I probably messed up the measurements of the oils. What a mess. My 3rd batch and it's out the door.

I went out today and got more oils. I had to go to Walmart to get the coconut oil. It's the onlu place I have found it. Almaost $5.50 for not even 2 pounds. I think I need to get on line here and see if I can order in bulk. I have lard I made with some of my own pigs. It's so pretty and white. I want to try using some.

Have you heard of The Lye Guy? I ordered my lye from him. 6 containers for $5.50 and I got the 6th one free. I think it was $38. with shipping. Is that a good deal? And where do ya'll get your EO's? Is there a good place that's reasonable to order from? This can get quite expensive running all over looking for ingredients.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  04:58:14 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, sorry to hear about your soap not turning out--but apparently we will encounter the occasional failure, and just have to look at it as a learning experience. It is costly, though!

I wish I could find coconut oil at the store--your deal at your Walmart sounds good, as I have to order it online and it's $15.00 for 2.2 lb. Plus shipping. Canadian Walmarts don't always carry the same stock as the American ones.

Has anyone ever used Wilton paste food colourings (for cake decorating) to colour your soap when marbling it? I have a bunch of these and was wondering if I could use them when I try making marbled soap, or do you have to buy the pigments & dyes especially for soapmaking?

Got my stick blender yesterday at Walmart, for $15.96, in a wild snowstorm! Now, ordering oils & EO's from my supplier today! I'm so excited!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  06:56:53 AM  Show Profile
Well, I am very discouraged right now. I made another batch yesterday and it was so nice and thick when I poured the oils and lye together. And traced great. But this morning when I unwrapped the blankets to unmold it, it's soft. What is going on? The first messed up batch from Sunday I used the leftover oils that had already been melted. And I also used my hand mixer for about a minute just to see what would happen. So I thought those two factors were the culprit. But yesterday I used all new oils and the new lye I just ordered. Which makes me wonder if the lye is not good. I used it in the Sunday batch, too. I think I might have to see if I can return it. This is very discouraging to me just starting out. It's alot of money to be screwing up a bunch of soap.

I wonder if it's the weather, too. Is it just too cold? My house is freezing. I can't turn my heat pump up too high or it goes into aux mode and runs forever. So I have to keep it set on 65. But I wrap it up in 3 wool blankets.

Any ideas from all you veteran soapers out there? I need all the help I can get right now.

Thanks, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  06:59:03 AM  Show Profile
Lori, I wish I had answers to your questions. I would think that would work, though. And I'll have to go back to Walmart now and look for the stick blender. I found some on Amazon but with shipping I might as well just buy it here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  07:31:43 AM  Show Profile
Lori,
Yes you can use wilton food colorings, although the purists would say, I think, not to! I have used regular food coloring and was very surprised when my blue actually turned a beautiful lavender! So don't be surprised if the color doesn't turn out quite like you expected. It also can change color when mixed with certain essential oils. I would say though to read the labels, if there is FDC red and someone will be using who as a food allergy to that, it might cause some problems, although I have not seen that yet.
There are natural ways to color your soap too, various herbs and flower parts, I use baby food carrots for orange or yellow. One of my first batches of soaps I determined I wanted pink soap. I could not find anything to use that I had already to make it pink, so I went and bought a box of crayons, and grated a real dark pink. It definitely turned it a pretty pink, but the melted wax turned into chunks when I mixed it in, so.... chunks of wax in the soap. My grand daughters love it, but I tell them it is for their hands only. I won't do that again!
I love to use anything I have on hand, as long as it doesn't bother sensitive skin, or can cause a rash, I will use it for anyone who wants to try it. I don't sell my soaps though, just give them to family and friends.
I buy my oils(anything other than lavender, that I get locally) from wholesalesuppliesplus.com. A lot of their buyers rate the products so you can get a good idea of the scents before you buy them. I do like their scents although the hazelnut creme coffee I bought in the fall did not smell like that at all! I love their Victorian Rose scent!
I am not an expert by any means, but will try to answer questions as well as I can.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  07:35:40 AM  Show Profile
Forgot to tell you girls! There is a soap calculator online, where you put in what oils you are using and how much, and it tells you the exact amount of lye and water to use. It boggled my mind at first, years ago, I just followed a recipe for making soap, not it is definitely a science!
www.soapcalc.net

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  6:32:16 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried making liquid soap? I tried a batch last week. The insructions said that a "light film" may form on top while the paste is dissolving. Just stir it back in and everying will be fine. Mine had "thick skin" that wouldn't dissolve, so I scraped it off and threw it away. Probably wasted about 1 quart of soap. It has to sit in a cool, dark place for 1-2 weeks. Hasn't quite been a week, but it looks okay in the jars.

Vicki
Farmgirl Sister #120
Today well lived makes every yesterday a memory of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  10:47:00 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, how is your soap today? Did it harden up at all?

Maybe it just takes longer than 24 hours.

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  11:27:17 AM  Show Profile
I just took it out of the mold and it came out in one piece this time. Where the last batch came out in pieces. That one is hardening up. So I put this new batch out in the freezing cold laundry room to see what it will do. I hope I can salvage both batches. I'll see in a few weeks.

I want to make a new batch just to see what it will do. I did e-mail the lye guy and he e-mailed back. He was very nice. I do have the right lye. Could it maybe be the cheap shortening? It's really not hard like Crisco. I might go get some Crisco and try it next. But actually, the good batches I have made that turned out reallt hard I used a soft shortening. Also used a little lard, too.

So I will see what happens. Thanks for asking, Lori. What are you working on this week?

And I have made liquid soap with goat milk. It's not real thick but I like it. I put peppermint EO in some, some lavender and one with patchouli. So I hope someone else havs an good answer for you, Vicki.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  11:48:17 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, glad to hear the soap isn't a lost cause!

I placed a big order today (my first) for supplies. I ordered coconut oil, palm oil, grapefruit seed extract, cocoa butter, jojoba oil, shea butter, and a bunch of EOs: bergamot, lavender, lemon, lime, clary sage; as well as Raspberry delight FO, Morning mint FO, and Honey & Almond natural FO. This is a big step for me, but hopefully I will be successful. I just want to make soap for gifts, not go into business with it.

This order was $200 with shipping & taxes, but at my job we get our unused sick days paid out (at half rate) so this is my gift to myself for not calling in sick once in 2009!

So, now I wait for the parcel!!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  12:09:36 PM  Show Profile
Who did you order from? I have checked out several sites but don't know which is the best one. Have you seen Bramble berry? I have heard alot of people order from them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  12:19:37 PM  Show Profile
I ordered from K & W Specialties, a Canadian company that has been in this business for 13 years:

http://www.kwspecialties.on.ca/

I'm not sure if they ship to the US, though, but you could email them and ask.

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  7:39:59 PM  Show Profile
Kristin - please share your recipe for liquid soap with goat's milk. That would be fun to try. Mine is looking more like a gel, but I think it will be usable.

Vicki
Farmgirl Sister #120
Today well lived makes every yesterday a memory of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  8:23:45 PM  Show Profile
Vicki, I don't even remember where I found this recipe. It can be used for hand soap, laundry or shampoo, it says. I did try it for shampoo a few times. Not too bad.

1 lb. lye soap, grated
1 gallon water or goat milk
1 cup Borax

Put milk in large pot. Add Borax and stir in completely. Add grated soap. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes.

Pour into jars or whatever you have on hand. Let it cool 24 hours. It says it will be like pudding. But mine wasn't that thick.

Anyway, I have the extra stored in the fridge. I just thought with milk it needed to be kept cold. I don't know, really. It was the first time I did this. If you try it, let me know how it turns out. I guess it could be halved.

Good luck. Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  8:25:01 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to say you can add fragrance, too. Peppermint is good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  08:10:41 AM  Show Profile
Here's a site I found that has lots of good information and pictures, too:

http://www.millersoap.com/index.html

There is advice here about not burning out the motor on a stick blender, too! Good to know. They are not meant to run for more than 5 minutes at a time!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Soapmaking advice Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page