Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Beginning to regret getting H1N1 vaccine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Beginning to regret getting H1N1 vaccine Next Topic
Page: of 2

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  7:30:47 PM  Show Profile
You must always do what you think is best for you and your family. I can make the decision for myself but in your situation I would probably get it for my child too. What is right for one person is not right for another.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  07:43:46 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I work in a hospital in the very midst of coughing and respiratory illnesses and I refused the regular flu vaccine and the H1N1. I have found that basic hygiene is the best way to fight any kind of illness....hand washing, keeping your hands away from your face, avoiding mass crowds/areas at peak times, staying home when you are ill. Good nutrition and exercise are key to keeping the body in tune and the immune system strong as well.

Keep in mind that all of the statistics for the "flu" thus far are not accurate. Rarely is the actual H1N1 test done as it takes too long and is very expensive. From the info I have seen personally and gathered from other health care professionals, people who were tested for seasonal flu, and tested postitive, were assumed to have H1N1. And those are the high number statistics you read about in the media. This isn't saying that the H1N1 strain isn't out there, because it is. They are also failing to report that seasonal flu can be just as deadly for those with weakened immune systems.

It also concerns me that this vaccine was rushed and not fully tested. Given the nature of making the vaccines from eggs, there is a certain natural time frame needed for producing the vaccine. My question is how do you rush nature???? IMHO the very people who are considered high risk for the illness are the very people who should not recieve something that was rushed through production and untested.

I wish everyone a very healthy and happy new year!

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MustangSuzie on Dec 29 2009 07:54:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  3:25:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sarah I so agree with you!!!
Here in NY my daughter- a nurse- has been forced(mandated) to get the flu vaccine every year. This year they were going to have all health care personnel- including my Father in law who is 77 years old and drives for a lab delivery service- have the H1N1 flu vaccine. There was a stay put on that by a sympathetic judge, but the fear is that next fall it will be mandated again.
For the past 2 winters I was so sick, that my family kept bugging me to get a flu shot this year. I tried 3 different times, and it was just not available or I was where they would not accept my insurance- BC/BS, but they sure accepted medicaid and medicare, so I just didn't get one. Thinking back on the last few years, I believe that my vitamin D levels were probably about 0, so I started taking that every day. I take extra if I've been exposed to something. That and being vigilant about hygiene has kept me healthy so far this year. :)
Fortunately(or not, depending on you look at it) all 6 of my grandchildren and their parents had H1N1 this fall, so their mommies don't have to agonize over whether or not they should have the vaccine. Until, that is, it mutates. :(
If people would look back at the vaccine for the Spanish Influenza during WWI and how sick it made people, and then the swine flu vaccine during the 70's, they might hesitate before having it now. To me, it is just too new.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

If you rest, you rust. Helen Hayes

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

spaciousplace
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Mary
Blue Bell PA
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  10:50:06 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your replies! It has been a hectic holiday season for me, and I haven't had much free time to be on the compter. I am at peace with my vaccination now - I see it as a lesson learned. I am learning all I can about vaccines in order to make the best decisions for myself.

A happy and healthy New Year to you all!

Mary :)

Farmgirl Sister #378

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  09:11:24 AM  Show Profile
Well, there you are. I was wondering if you were ok. So good to see you are alright and have just been busy. I hope you had a great Christmas. And I hope this new year treats you well.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  4:13:50 PM  Show Profile
We chose not to vaccinate our children after doing a good deal of research (including reading the product inserts from all the vaccines they would get). As an aside if you want to you can go to your public health clinic and ask for these (if they balk say you want to review them with your doctor). These are the inserts that come in the actual vaccine boxes from the drug company.

It is a personal choice and there are good arguments for both sides, the main thing is educate yourself before taking these medical treatments (you usually read up on any antibiotics you get). Don't go in blind know the possible side effects and then make your decision. Be informed.

With the H1N1 vaccine in particular there hasn't been sufficient testing done, it's being pushed agressively and it's been admitted that the majority of people will only suffer mild to managible symptoms of this flu.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  10:17:43 AM  Show Profile
My son- without telling anyone- had the H1N1 vaccine a couple of weeks ago. He got it free at work, but I would have told him not to! He ended up with a very, very sore local reaction to it. After 2 weeks, his arm is still so sore(but no swelling, redness or bruising) that he has to take pain relievers at night to sleep. He is not a complainer, so I know it must be bothering him. I was told that this could last as long as a month. I feel bad for him, but I guess he is now protected against H1N1, until it mutates that is.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  06:36:29 AM  Show Profile
This is a personal choice but we have not gotten vaccinated in our family. I am a chiropractor by profession and so I believe in the power of building up you immune system. Also, I know a couple of people that got H1N1 and came out just fine. Like I heard earlier, it just makes your immune system stronger afterwards.

www.JustAnAllAmericanGirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  07:19:23 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I got the vaccine the other day...and my arm was very sore for a few hours...I can't take Ibuprophin but sure wanted to. Now I am fine. My 9 yr old son got it too because his Dr called recomending it. I've always liked his Dr. I chose to take him. Danny is Autistic so does not feel pain in a normal way...sometimes he doesn't know when he is injured...so he didn't complain. There was a big crowd of parents with children getting it and we waited for an hour. I do know that media can scare people. As a foster parent I was used to having to do anything a Dr or professional suggested because I was required to. Now that he is adopted we have more freedom but I still chose to have him get it because he has been in the hospital with pneumonia and suffered enough asthma over the years.

Linda in Scranton, PA

Thoughts become things... choose the good ones! www.tut.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  1:23:27 PM  Show Profile
I didn't take this one yet , I took the regular flu shot
I am Diabetic type 2 and have a lot of conditions and diseases ; but
they didn't get the other flu shot till just recently
One thing I would do ; if they had one for the stomach flu
I would be the first waiting in line
that flu put me in the hospital about a year ago.
I thought I was going to die.
I think it is all up to the one taking the shots
No one should force one to take it if they have "issues" with it
It is up to you . hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativewritings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Beginning to regret getting H1N1 vaccine Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page