Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Beginning to regret getting H1N1 vaccine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Beginning to regret getting H1N1 vaccine Next Topic
Page: of 2

spaciousplace
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Mary
Blue Bell PA
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  9:18:12 PM  Show Profile
I am in the last group of people who are eligible to get the H1N1 vaccine. (I am 34, not pregnant, no children, healthy.)

Today my employer (a doctor) was able to secure the vaccine for me since her hospital has extra vaccines they are about to make open to the public. (To clarify, I do not work in the hospital or with this doctor in her professional capacity.) I went ahead and was vaccinated for H1N1 a few hours ago.

In the last year, I really began thinking about vaccines and whether or not they are necessary or even personally ethical. I am a life and let life person, so I am not trying to sway opinions here. :)

I would just like to know I am not alone in questioning whether or not vaccinations are necessary. As my arm begins to throb and I feel warm with a slight headache, I am second guessing my decision.

Mary :)

Farmgirl Sister #378

Edited by - spaciousplace on Dec 10 2009 9:19:09 PM

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  10:46:09 PM  Show Profile
I am not taking this one. For sure. I am not in an "at risk" group anyway. This vaccine was rushed to market and they threw a lot of precautions away for it. I have been taking my elderberry, silver, and D3 and have not had so much as a sniffle. I am sticking with that program. Usually I have caught something by now but I am doing great.
I realize everyone has to make their own choice. I hope time does not show this to be a problem.
LaVonna

Farmgirl Sister #758
www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ozarkjammer
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Janíce
AR
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  11:09:39 PM  Show Profile

If you have fibromyalgia, the National Fibromyalgia Association has stated that these people should not receive the H1N1 or regular flu vaccines. I am not certain of their reasons, but I have my own opinions.

I am one of those who should not receive them. When I did receive the regular flu vaccinations annually because of my work, I felt terrible for days. It is not the killed virus itself, but the "host" fluids that make a difference. My pain management doctor who also practices alternative therapies agrees that "I" should not receive such vaccines.

It is a deeply personal decision, however, many healthy people have continued being healthy by practicing good hygiene (e.g. frequent hand washing) and other natural practices. Laughter is good preventive medicine, too!

Blessings and good health to all of you!
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  04:30:45 AM  Show Profile
Janice I agree with you, it is a personal decision. I have chosen not to vaccine my family. Just seemed it was thrown out there. We do not get the regular flew shot either. By God's Grace we are pretty much a healthy family other than just the occasional cold with few fevers.

My hope though is, if those that chose not too actually get it, they will feel the pressure from Dr.s, ex-spouses, etc that "You shoulda had the shot", will stand confindent in themselves, as parents or individuals and their decision. Just dont beat yourselves up.

Learning to appreciate having a glass..not half full or empty..just thankful for a glass :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  05:52:18 AM  Show Profile
Mary, it is a personal choice. I hope you weren't "pushed" into getting it and you were informed as to all the possible side effects. That's what makes me mad is this whole scare tactic campaign they had at the beginning of all this. Especially with the newborn to 2 year old kids. They didn't have a choice. ANd it's really not been such a bad thing. At least not here, anyway. And I don't listen to alot of news so have not heard if it is getting worse now. If you take care of yourself and get the rest you need, you should be ok. But I have never gotten the regular flu shot and never will, either.

I do hope you are better today. I've always heard when you get the flu shot that you have flu-loke symptoms for a few days afterward. And a very sore arm where you got the shot.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  07:50:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well I panicked there for a while because we decided not to get Nora vaccinated. Being two and a half and in daycare a bit I feel that she is at risk, but I am more worried about the vacine and kindof wanted to ride it out and see what some of the effects may be. So far so good and the h1n1 has stayed away though we have had a few minor worries- not feeling good for a few days but no fever etc.

So I hope you are feeling better soon! I am kind of like the other gals. I think it is a personal decision and the decision isn't right or wrong but rather right or wrong for you as a person or as a family.

*hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  09:02:57 AM  Show Profile
My family is in the "high-risk" category because of being in the EMS/Fire service. None of us would take the vaccine. Our 17 yo dd got a probable case of H1N1 before the vaccine even became available earlier this fall and she was pretty sick for a week. Those in the family who did develop any symptoms after her - they were so mild it was no big deal.

Vaccines are a very personal decision and there have been some strong opinions for both sides.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

ozarkjammer
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Janíce
AR
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  09:29:09 AM  Show Profile
A friend of mine in her forties had a confirmed case of H1N1 (we refer to it as the "heinie" virus for a laugh) and she is fine now after her illness. It builds your immune system to get through it, and remember, too, about the flu vaccine: it is only one virus in thousands and thousands of flu viruses. It will not contain every flu virus and may or may not contain the one they think is most likely. Be informed, then make your choice. It's okay either way, girls!

So glad we have a supportive forum like this to go to. Happy to chat with all of you!

www.chronichope.com
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  09:29:56 AM  Show Profile
The thing I was told is that we would benefit if we all did catch a mild to rough case of it. Because if we do we will have natural immunity to it from now on. The reason older people are not at high risk for it is that is is related or similar to a flu that was active in the 1950s and 60s and anyone exposed then will have immunity to it now.

Just try to boost the immune system so it can handle the recovery from it.

And, Kris, I so agree with the scare tactics. Why are they always trying to scare us? Remember SARS? It was supposed to take us out. This avian flu they have expected for so long. You know they have put in place the laws/requirements that if they think the avian flu has hit the area then they can come and destroy your chickens. Plain and simple.

Farmgirl Sister #758
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  11:28:25 AM  Show Profile
Lavonna, I live across from a huge chicken house operation. I wrote about this before. But a few years ago I got a call from Atlanta, the agriculture police or something. They wanted to come test my poultry for avian virus. At the time I had 4 ducks, 5 turkeys, various chicken and guineas running the place. They came the next day and basically were only really concerned about the ducks. Apparently they are carriers of the avian virus and they get it from wild ducks and birds. Well, all the tests came back negative of course. The guy across the road told me the lab made a huge mistake and messed up all his blood work from his chickens. So it was all a big to do about NOTHING but their own mistake at their own lab. It really messed him up/ Ordinarily when something like that happens, they would have had to destroy every bird withing 20 miles or so of the chicken houses.

That makes sense to me what you say. We need to keep our immune systems built up to withstand all these strage bugs coming at us. And not jump too fast.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  12:04:12 PM  Show Profile
I hope you are beginning to feel better Mary. We don't get flu vaccines either. My primary care doctor is not really pro most immunizations. The vaccines have mecury in them which is just one reason that we don't get any. He does test us for vit D-3 and right now I am a little low on it, so I am taking 15,000.00 units a day. When I get caught up or its summer I'll drop back down to 5,000.00 units. He takes it and never gets the flu even with all of his patients. I agree with others here that keeping our immunities up is the best defence. I also agree it is a very personal decision and to each his own. My daughter is pregnant and she refused it too. I do get tired of the scare tactics on everything! Really can you believe anything on the new anymore?

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  6:35:15 PM  Show Profile

The only reason I got the vaccine is because I work at a hospital and they lay a guilt trip on you if you don't get it--ie, you're putting patients at risk. I did feel a little run down for a day or two afterward. what bothers me is that there's a Christian Science school in the area and they don't believe in vaccines, but some people in govt. are trying to force people to get vaccines even if it's against their religious beliefs. I think that's wrong, since vaccines are questionable at best. The last time my dog (I'm just using him as an example) got his rabies shot, he had a weird reaction to it--shaking his head like he was dizzy and off balance. It was kind of scary, and that's how I feel about vaccines. They are kind of scary, and if a person wants to get them, fine, but just don't try to force it on people. Life is risky and frankly, I'd rather have it that way than to let someone in govt. mandate what's "safe".
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  05:31:22 AM  Show Profile
I chose not to take it. I have never gotten the regular one either. I don't seem to ever catch the flu so I don't feel like I need to infect myself if I don't ever get it anyway. I work in a large facility with MR clients. They all got theirs so maybe it won't be spreading around for me to catch it. I just don't like the whole idea.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  1:54:22 PM  Show Profile
we, too, decided not to vacinate our family. I am in nursing and have Dr's recommending it to me all of the time. I got told that I was a bad mother by on of my co-workers for not getting Oliver (our 15 mth old) vaccinated. I/we didn't feel right about getting the shot......all that I keep thinking was that they (medical people) told women to take thalidamide(sp) when they were pregnant and look how that turned out

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  2:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I have read in the news that this Swine Flu is not causing as many deaths as the regular flu our country has each year. It is more scare tactic than anything. The H1N1 shot was developed too quickly to be safe enough in my opinion...so I won't get it.
You all make very good points. Thanks for the topic...this kind of input is good for us to share.

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

Niamh
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Idaho
140 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  7:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Niamh a Yahoo! Message
We chose not to get our family vaccinated. With our background in science and agriculture, and our research into vaccines when our kids were babies, we looked at the situation, at how fast the vaccine was pushed through testing, at how much the media seemed to be acting on fear, and at actual cases reported. For us, it was a pretty cut and dried situation. We're not in a high-risk group, we (are lucky to) have good health care, and it was clearly a fear-based push by the media.

My farming blog: www.localfoodblog.blogspot.com

My living blog:
www.unprocessedfamily.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  3:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
The media is all about excitement...especially fear....things get so exaggerated that it gets hard to believe anything that is pushed so much.

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

ozarkjammer
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Janíce
AR
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2009 :  5:41:25 PM  Show Profile
...and never make a decision based on fear.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  2:32:46 PM  Show Profile
It is a difficult choice whether to vaccinate or not. I am an RN, just recently staying at home, & my husband is an RN working in a large hospital. No one wants to jeopardize their family either way, and it is never known until something happens whether one made the right decision. Dan, my husband had no choice as to getting the shot. I do have a choice. I will not. I am sorry for those who have had H1N1 & died. There have been people from around here. However, other vaccines have also been developed that have saved many lives. Polio is one, and it is almost irradicated from the earth. The various Rotary clubs in the US have fundraisers to vaccinate children in Africa etc, where polio has crippled & killed little children. Years ago, before the chickenpox vaccine, Mothers would take their kids to get them exposed to someone who had it. It was easier to have as a kid than an adult. What I'm saying is that one never knows the correct decision, but stats from the CDC report many people (chiefly affecting children) have died from this. I wonder. The regular flu's mortality is usually higher affecting those whose immune system is compromised from another illness or the old etc. But regardless of the disease, that mother whose child has been one of a stat, does not care about numbers because her child was 1. This virus may mutate & become stronger, or it may die out in the Spring. It is our job as a parent to be informed and hopefully make the right decision for our family & ourselves. May we all make our very best informed decisions. Just my 2 cents worth.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  06:16:17 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone heard from Mary since she posted this? I e-mailed her and have not heard back and that's been several days ago. I hope she's ok.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  8:24:15 PM  Show Profile
I've been getting the regular flu vaccine every fall since I was diagnosed with asthma a few years ago. I got the H1N1 vaccine this year too. I did feel the next day as though I was beginning to come down with a bad cold, but it went away immediately and I didn't actually get sick. So it might possibly have been a side effect, but didn't amount to much.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  7:32:38 PM  Show Profile
We as a family have chosen not to get it. I do believe in some vaccines but others I do not. I have never gotten a flu shot in my life. However as a nation we tend to over vaccinate. I noticed a post concerning the rabies vaccine. We do some research a couple of years ago into that one. The county we live in forces yearly vaccinations for all dogs. The State however says every three years is plenty and the company that developed the vaccination says every 8 years. So we are forced to over vaccinate to the tune of 8x's to much. My daughter has a friend who is one of those conspiracy theory people. He believes that they are putting micro-chips in the H1N1 vaccine so we can all be tracked. It's a thought. :)

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  9:05:35 PM  Show Profile
Our county used to be like that but have gone to the three year requirement for rabies. When they required it every year I had three great pyrnees dogs. I got one vaccinated per year. Once one got picked up because she was down the road to claim her I had to bring her proof of vaccine. I got the current certificate and took it to get her. They did not know it was not hers.

Farmgirl Sister #758
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  08:52:50 AM  Show Profile
That was a great idea. Wish I could do that. But I have a border collie/terrier mix. I Labrador/Dalmation Mix and a great Dane. Don't think I could fool anyone LOL. I use to only get them every three years but a man came after my border/collie mix with a hammer. She naturally bit him and he turned her in. She spent 9 days in a tile cell with a metal bench for her to sleep on that they hosed down twice a day and had three baths in insecticide. She was almost dead from kennel cough when we got her back. I will never let that happen again. Sorry we got off topic here but I think we could be headed in the same direction if the government starts to mandate vaccinations.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2009 :  7:04:10 PM  Show Profile
I hope it never comes to being forced to get certain vaccines, as they do in the military. Some people are against vaccines for religious reasons, and if we force them to get vaccines, what comes next? The health of the public is important but so are our religious/individual rights.
cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  03:48:11 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I got a call with a recording in the doctor's voice. (my son's doctor)
They have a clinic for the H1N1 vaccine. I called to ask if the doctor srongly suggested it...and the nurse said yes. I feel like I have to. He is only 9 years old, on many very powerful meds, and has been in the hospital with pneumonia.

Linda in Scranton, PA
I see trees of green, red roses too. I see skys of blue, clouds of white.
What a wonderful world.
Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Beginning to regret getting H1N1 vaccine Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page