Page: of 4

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  07:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
I agree with so many of these! My two teenagers tease me because I insist on proper English even with I'm texting them. I was taught common courtesy saying "Please" and "Thank You". I use both You're welcome and It was my pleasure equally. However, being a pathologically sarcastic person , I also say (loudly) "No problem" when someone is rude or the request is actually a "problem".
Last week, after a snow storm, everyone and their brother were at the grocery store. After checkout, I had a full cart and followed a woman through the door. She only had a few small bags which she pulled from the cart and left the cart directly in front of the door! The man behind cursed because we both had to stop our carts from plowing into each other. As I went around to move her cart out of the way, I yelled after her "No problem, ma'am! Happy New Year!" waving and smiling. She looked like I had just pointed a gun at her! The man said he would have to remember that one.

I do have a pet peeve saying that I haven't seen so far. "That's nothing" or "That ain't nothing". You've had a bad day, received some bad news or had an accident, and someone asks you about it. Once you've had your little vent, they say "That's nothing" and proceed to tell you how bad their day was ecetera.

However, that's when I say "Sorry bout ur luck"

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  08:01:32 AM  Show Profile
I have a great story on the spelling issue. My middle daughter had trouble with spelling after she started school overseas and we moved back here. I went to the school to discuss it with her Teacher and the teacher actually said to me. "Her spelling won't matter, she doesn't need to know how to spell, with computers she can just use the spell check". I was so angry I wanted to kill the woman. So I taught my daughter how to spell at home. More recently I just got a new cell phone. I was text messaging my daughter and was going to type "I love you". I typed I love (at which point I got a window that said "Word not in Dictionary) so I deleted love and typed Luv and it was ok. That is scary.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  08:18:58 AM  Show Profile
This makes me think of the waitress I had not long ago at Cracker Barrell who, every time she brought out part of our meal would say, "Here goes your --insert meal item here." Here goes your? Really? I don't even know how I learned proper English growing up with my parents. They pronounce things in the strangest ways sometimes. LOL! My dad, who is a contractor and has been working exclusively with Sherwin Williams for probably 20 years still calls it Sherman Williams. ROTFL! It drives me nuts. They're the type to call espresso "expresso" and they say nucular instead of nuclear. That's one thing that drove me nuts when Bush was the president. I actually liked him all except for that (well maybe not all, but most).
Oh...and another one...our pastor...last Christmas season kept saying Jesus was "borned". Needless to say, we harped on him so bad about his english that he didn't say it even once this year.

As far as saying "no problem", I'm probably guilty of that as well, but this thread has gotten me thinking about my own lack of attention to my words. I think I will make that a resolution this year, to watch my words and use them wisely and politely. Great thread!

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  11:49:32 AM  Show Profile
You ladies have opened my eyes to many different things. I started this thread about a "no problem" but what I see with all of our contributions, is that sometimes what we say to another or write another is just a quick flippant answer. I appreciate also what Siobhan wrote, and that Beth wrote about.....textinglingo. Now I must admit, I am probably older that you all are, but I have to stop, & think when I read some emails that my grand-daughters write me. I understand the LOL or even ROTFL, (although I must admit, I had to stop and see if I had it right.)I just can't decipher what the youngsters (and probably most of you) say. I can take shortcuts like, (luv, cuz, BTW, etc..) etc....lol, but I just am not hep,?? hip??, well.. with it.. when it comes to the modern way of doing things. So, as I struggle & spell most things out, please forgive me for taking up so much space.

By the way, I am learning so much from you, and understanding to a greater depth than I even realized. Thank you!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  12:41:08 PM  Show Profile
LOL (laugh out loud) Claudia! Actually, I am not a texter at all and could not communicate with a teenager via text if my life depended on it. I missed that generation by about 10 years, I guess. I only know a bit of forum speak. And if I ever shorten something that doesn't make sense to you, please call me out and I will explain myself. Sorry, it's just habit as I've participated in a mommy forum for the past 2 1/2 years and it's gotten ingrained in me.

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  1:13:36 PM  Show Profile
My kids have gotten so use to me not knowing what the abbreviations stand for, If I use one they automatically write back and tell me what it means. They just assume I am asking. There is a new one I have been hearing from my kids lately. If you ask them a question they don't know the answer to the just say "there's an app. for that". Meaning they can look it up on their cell phone. I think we may be hearing it alot. Our language has sure changed. I am older but I hate to think what would happen if my Grandmother (who died several years ago) tried to have a conversation with one of my children. It is almost like speaking a foreign language.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  1:53:27 PM  Show Profile
I had to laugh. Siobhan, please please DO NOT say sorry for using those...those...what ever you call it abbreviations. I'm just a little slow. With technology comes change, and I guess we are in the thrust of it. God help us...what it will be 10 yrs from now. Sherry, I think it is just wrong to have some one say...it ain't nothing. That deals with "one-ups-manship." Irritating. Jonnie, we have some of the same regionalisms here too. Is it creek (Eek!)or is it crick? Is it roof (like book) or roof (like boot)? Years ago when my grand uncle/aunt came down from Calgary, he talked about the garage with the emphasis on the "gar". He also said something that probably is NEVER used anymore. He told my Mom that they were going to visit his sister by saying "He was going to knock her up".....meaning knocking at the door. When my folks laughed, I took special notice of it and of course remember it 50+ years later. Sorry if I offended anyone!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  3:18:06 PM  Show Profile
People around here do their "warsh" on laundry day. Sometimes it just makes me laugh.

Jonnie - my dad is from Ohio and he says "warsh" I thought it was an Ohio thing!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  3:31:55 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I went to your blog and you have a very beautiful home!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  4:23:16 PM  Show Profile
Claudia, why thank you! How nice of you to comment. We're not quite settled in yet. My blog is sadly out of date.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  10:08:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh, no--I just posted a wonderful (if I do say so myself) bit about my peeves and it's all gone because I wasn't logged in.

So short and sweet--"have went...." instead of "went" or "have gone."
My husband does this. Just makes me grit my teeth.

Spell check isn't so great because it doesn't account for homonyms. There was a classified ad in our paper years ago for a "very genital bull." Well, no kidding! He's a bull, after all. When I called the number, the man didn't get it and asked if I wanted to use the bull.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  11:06:23 AM  Show Profile
I'm snickering like mad. First of all....if you think of anything that was deleted...write back! The other thing on which I would like clarification: Was the bull- 1) well endowed or 2) very gentle? I am sure you know the answer. Thanks for contributing!! By the way, I will be looking at my WA-OR AAA map to find Glide, but in a way, we are neighbors! Welcome!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  3:50:47 PM  Show Profile
My MIL will say goodbye or end a phone conversation with "we'll talk at you later..." Talk AT me? She also says "I seen" and has now gotten my son saying that, instead of "I saw". GRRR!

Do you have anyone that says chimley instead of chimney? I do! My SIL insists she's going to Wal-Mark not Walmart...and another SIL invents new words, like flustrating (I guess she's flustered and frustrated!).

I also am so tired of these phrases "all on the same page" and "think outside the box". Also "take ownership" and "find closure" seem to be overused, maybe from the daytime talk shows.

I am just starting to text my children, and they think it's hilarious how I won't use text language! I'm sorry, I just can't use that lower case i !

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  9:29:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lori, I would have sworn your worked in healthcare with the saying of "same page, outside the box etc." One that was popular several years ago, measuring everything against the "benchmark." We used to chuckle about what mark was on the bench. I have heard the word flustrated. Of course when people invent words, they often become words for the dictionary.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  11:14:58 AM  Show Profile
How about grammar? Me and .... went to the store. Drives me nuts when people list themselves first. Or I hear kids saying all the time oh it was on accident. Does that mean BY accident or ON purpose???

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  12:20:49 PM  Show Profile
It bothers me when I hear "ya know what I mean" over and over in a conversation!
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  12:50:57 PM  Show Profile
Have you ever heard the song that has "Ya know what I mean" in it? We pick up the strangest things from some of the oddest places. Rae, I also used to use very good grammar. No prepositions at the end of a sentence etc. I think poor grammar crept into my speech when caring for patients who did not have proper grammar. I was a young nurse, and was very conscious that I was speaking differently to make some of my patients more comfortable/acceptable. Stupid! Oh well, I struggle to correct those things after 48 years. It may be possible, I hope!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  05:25:39 AM  Show Profile
What gets to me most is when I can stand there and see ladies needing help with the baby stroller or wheelchair, etc. and there stands a man waiting for her to get out of his way. Of course I will get in there and help her out and just wonder who forgot to teach him some manners. I just can't understand how someone can just stand watching someone in need.

My daughter went to Walmart to get a card table and chairs for my grand-son at Christmas. To take back to the home he is staying in for college. She was alone and if you could imagine a box big enough to hold table and chairs laying on top of her cart. No one to help her to take it out. She gets to her car and trying to get the back of her van open the cart takes off down the street. There is a man and woman standing over by their car, watching!! Here she has put her purse in first so she didn't have to worry about it just being in the cart while she's trying to get this box in the back. But she has to take off for her cart. Finally getting back to her van, watcher's still standing by, she continues to struggle with the box. Finally as she gets it positioned where she can just shove it in, the man comes over and asked if she needed any help. She stood there a sec and said No I believe I finally got it. But Thank you! Pause----Did he even get what she actually was wanting to say. At least I'm proud of her for being polite. What we teach does pay off.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  07:40:35 AM  Show Profile
Grammar....

" I seen that!" Or this is another one; " Borrow me some money!"

It's like a piece of chalk screeching across a chalkboard for me!

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert
Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  07:53:23 AM  Show Profile
Mumblers drive me nuts-seems to be big with the college age guys-they think it's cool or something.

Saying "whatever!" when in disagreement with you.

Using the term "don't got no", "ain't" ,or "0-10" for the current year. (I have some co workers at my part time job a jr college and they talk this way. Egads!)
"you don't know me" is another biggie. Falls in the same catagory as "whatever".

http://www.pluckyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.mandochicks.com
http://mandolinbabe.net
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
http://www.mtndulcimer.com

@MandolinChick on Twitter
fingerpickin Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  7:27:23 PM  Show Profile
Luyce, I've done the same thing too, in fact I catch myself typing those same words, and then go back to change it all. I chuckled when you wrote you were not logged in when writing your beautiful piece of prose. I have done that, and have not been very happy with myself.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  08:11:33 AM  Show Profile
another one is seeing younger pro NFL players interviewed and every other word is "y'know?" Makes me wonder if they purchased their University degree rather than earning it. When you see the now long retired players interviewed (such as the Steelers of old) they are extremely articulate! Something is amiss there.....

http://www.mandolinbabe.info

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  09:36:53 AM  Show Profile
What get to me is when someone has done something very nice for you and you Thank them, they just say "No Problem". Well maybe not, but to me it was wonderful and I was grateful for the help. Could they at least try make it seem like it was important to them also.

Brenda
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  1:00:25 PM  Show Profile
Exactly, Brenda! I see young and old use the no problem answer routinely. That's just it. Everything has become routine and not heart-felt in stead of personalizing an answer with a proper response.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  12:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
My mom and dad taught us to open the doors for people especially for elder people, and to say Yes please, no thank you, your are welcome, yes mame, no mame, yes sir, no sir. And to call people Mr, Mrs, Miss, ect. But there are many people in the world who are rude! Maybe we should pray for them.
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Family Matters: Previous Topic Irritating sayings Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page