CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2009 :  6:10:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh how could I have forgotten the ever irratating SO...... That one really gets to me too.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2009 :  6:34:30 PM  Show Profile
I can remember when I was young....I'm in my 60's....arguing with my Mother and saying..."So..THERE!" It irritated her so badly. ;-)

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

Brownie Lady
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Vanessa
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  06:06:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm right there with you in the manners department, the common courtesies, and being polite: I was raised that way as well.

I, too, will say "my pleasure" because it is or was to do so and also use "you're welcome."

And like so many of you, I HATE "whatever"

Included in the "hate" list.....
....."It's all good" after I say thank you to someone
.....when someone goofs and they say "my bad" (how about just an apology, please???)

So, those are my pet peeves!

Vanessa
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  04:51:10 AM  Show Profile
I have noticed how when you hold the door for people, some won't say thank you... and others kind of mumble it and don't look at you.

the yes sir and yes maam is how brother and I were also brought up.

It just rolls off the tongue. So it's pathetic to know all kinds of people lack basic social graces.

It's refreshing to hear some young kids out there who still have a bit of respect and kudos to the parents who drill this constantly. '
Cause I bet your kids can go anywhere and not cause a scene.

I'm more english oriented rather than math, so yes, poor grammer and speech usage drives me CRAZY!!!

It's so hard to not correct folks, especially since "I 'ain't from around here" and still sound like a Yankee. Pity one is made to feel badly sometimes just b/c we use the correct words and articulate

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  08:25:18 AM  Show Profile
After reading all these responses from all over the country, I find we may all be a little different in what we say, but it seems we were raised with manners & to answer with respect. I was not raised with the ma'am/sir attached, but to look at the person and answer appropriately. Maybe in our hustle bustle world, please and thank you have been discarded to accept the "what-ever" or "no problem." I like the personal touch of answers to my thank you, and if possible to have eye contact. I think if we treated each other with kindness, we would have a lot less problems in the world.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  08:43:04 AM  Show Profile
Grammar and spelling are two things that irritate me. Where do we get to undo the things that have "wronged" our younger generation?

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  08:57:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yesterday I was helping a customer and appologized because the machine had messed up something which then required her to do a little more work (not much just writing down some information) and I was told to not appologize because that set me up as a victim?! She said that she took a self defense course or something. Anyway it stunned me because I am about the last person that would allow herself to be victimized but I was always raised that appologizing for inconvenience was the polite thing to do. Anyone ever had someone tell you to STOP being polite before?!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  09:41:40 AM  Show Profile
OK, now you've reminded me of a saying that irritates me. When someone tells you about something bad that's happened to them, and you try to say sympathetically "I'm so sorry", and they say, "Well, you didn't do it. What are you apologizing for?". Sometimes they seem really angry and put out about it. Well, now, come on...what am I supposed to say? "Sucks to be you"? I think it's pretty commonly accepted in the English language that "sorry" can be an expression of sympathy as well as guilt. Or is it actually grammatically incorrect?
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  5:37:15 PM  Show Profile
This topic makes me laugh. People are so funny. There are a million ridiculous things people say these days that reflect the lack of intimacy we are sensing in our society. We cuddle with our computers and gadgets far more than books or each other...is it a wonder we've become so abbreviated and out of touch?

Just recently I was in a restroom with Aria and another mother and her, I'm guessing 2 year old came out of a stall and were getting ready to wash their hands. I complimented the woman's t-shirt and do you know she said nothing in response. She shrugged her shoulders, shrugging away the gift of my compliment. I was completely amazed and rather aghast. I was so taken back, that I burst out laughing staring at her the entire time! I decided better to leave them guessing at not only my behavior but their own.

People are funny strange creatures..few moreso than yours truly!!! ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2009 :  9:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Julia- you are too funny! I wonder what she would have said if you had been wearing your 4th of July outfit! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2009 :  10:54:45 AM  Show Profile
I have noticed this and it drives me nuts.

You don't 'bring' anything anywhere, you 'take' it there. You don't 'come' somewhere, you 'go' there. You bring things to you and take things away. You 'go' somewhere, not 'come' there.

Argh!!

I agree with the other poster, I think it has a bit to do with your part of the country/culture, but still, grammar is grammar.

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

I have some other blogs in the works...please stay tuned and I'll let you know where to go! :-)

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  08:51:41 AM  Show Profile
I am still laughing at Amie's 'Sucks to be you...' comment. Oh, how I long to actually give that response!!!!! I think the bottom line is, manners, grammer and just general social graces are no longer taught. Trust me. DH's ex actually complained to a custody judge about me. Judge: "Just what are your problems with the new Mrs.?" Ex: "She makes my kids say 'yes, ma'am and no, ma'am, yes,sir and no, sir. And that is just such a backwoods redneck Southern tradition!" Judge -(speaking very slowly and very succinctly): "Well, you just happen to be sitting in a 'backwoods, redneck Southern' courtroom, and I just happen to be a 'backwoods, redneck Southern' judge. And in MY courtroom, you will address everyone, including the new Mrs. as 'yes, ma'am' and 'no, ma'am', and 'yes, sir' and 'no, sir'. Is that clear?" Ex (sarcastically): "Uh, yeah." Judge: "I beg your pardon?" Ex (redfaced and trying hard to swallow): 'Yes, sir." Cross my heart. That really took place during one of our custody hearing for DH's kids. And to this day, you will hear my two, even at 22 and 24, say 'Yes, ma'am'. They may still be little mischevious brats, but they are well mannered brats. They are now learning that 'Whatever' and 'No prob, Bob' are also unacceptable responses. Yikes! Do I have to keep teaching them this stuff forever???????????????

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  5:16:50 PM  Show Profile

Ma,am from the "backwoods, redneck" Southern part of the country: I just had to reply to you and Aimee about "I'm sorry". Having started this thread, I had never thought of a problem with I'm sorry, but I have to tell you a story what happened to me the other day after I had my eyes tested. At 64 years of age, my doctor told me that I had a cataract that had shown up in 1 yr. It would be to my advantage if I could have it removed & not wait the 6 months until I was 65. All of a sudden, it threw me into a funk thinking I was just an old poop. My husband gave me some consolation, but knowing that my 91 yo Mom wanted to know the outcome, I called. She informed me that I was getting old and it was about time that I was growing up. After all, her friends had implants, just as she did...so why not me too!! I knew she was trying to be funny, but I needed her little shoulder. I wanted my little Mommy to say...I'm sorry, Claudia...it will be OK! She did the next day, but by that time, I was just fine and told her "NO PROBLEM!" Not really, but it fit into my story!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  10:35:12 AM  Show Profile
"Sucks to be you"...that is funny, I don't care where you are! Maybe sometime I'll get the nerve to say that cuz I have a tendency to sympathize with hard luck people.

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

I have some other blogs in the works...please stay tuned and I'll let you know where to go! :-)

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  03:43:38 AM  Show Profile

Yadda yadda or bla bla bla is very anoying. I'm not an intricate detail kind of person, but please, don't gloss over everything!
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  07:44:12 AM  Show Profile
Anna, I had forgotten about yadda yadda, bla bla, or in this area, da da da. I think people say it because the listener is loosing interest or doesn't care to hear the whole story.....or maybe another reason.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  7:26:51 PM  Show Profile
"It Sucks to be you" is Golden!
I laugh every time I think of it.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com

~Trust in the Lord...but row away from the rocks~
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  06:03:21 AM  Show Profile
This is so true "and well, you know" pretty funny "and well, you know" really annoying "and well, you know" the end of proper grammar. Another thing that drives me crazy is when people send e-mails or write notes that are in texting format. Did everyone forget how to spell and what a full sentence is? All those letters, BFN and BFF and LMAO "and well, you know" I just don't get it. Whatever, Dude...

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
Go to Top of Page

simone947
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

sarah
peru NY
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  11:46:37 AM  Show Profile
I have to confess, i am a chronic abuser of "no problem" and "dude". I am aware of it, and I'm trying to relearn all the manners I know my mother tried to teach me. I am lucky enough to find a man who always uses "yes ma'am" "no sir" etc, on a regular basis. I think in time I might be cured of my obnoxious college dialect.

oh, and i think i've used "sucks to be you" in conversation before, but in my defense it was with a friend.
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  11:47:42 AM  Show Profile
Funny this...there have been a couple of times that I've felt the 'sucks to be you' comment appropriate but I did refrain from uttering them.

But, I sure thought it.

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  11:50:17 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Betty J.

Grammar and spelling are two things that irritate me. Where do we get to undo the things that have "wronged" our younger generation?

Betty in Pasco

I actually posted on Craigslist about spelling, punctuation and grammar and got a notice that if I did it again, I'd be banned from posting!! Some of the CL posts are so indecipherable, you either don't understand what they are saying or you just have to take a leap of faith and hope you're close.

Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  12:13:03 PM  Show Profile
Have to say that "I hear you" or "I heard that" really sets me off. I offend Annika - I call everyone "dude." Maybe I should watch that. :-) I would also like to stand up for a group of young people in South Texas. Many young men and women, especially those raised in more country/rural settings are very mannerly. They open doors, say "yes, Ma'am," "no, Ma'am," "thank you," and "you're welcome." I was raised that way and when I moved to Colorado people asked me not to say that or would ask me why I did. Never did understand that.

There are also a lot of "regionalisms" here like Jonni has found in Kentucky. And I'm guilty myself of a few, especially this one. Everyone in Texas is "fixin'" to do something. You know, "I'm fixin' to go to Walmart." People around here do their "warsh" on laundry day. Sometimes it just makes me laugh. My ex-MIL used to call her peonies "pineys" and her hydrangeas "higeraniums". The woman who taught me about easy flowers to plant in garden told me to plant "bertuniars" because they would be easy to grow. I finally figured out that she was referring me to petunias! LOL!

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  1:12:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jonnie,

I have heard some of the things you mention. What I am now getting is...."stay with me on this"....as though I am not paying attention. Makes me want to say.."I am," but then the point of the conversation is lost. I love the different names of your flowers...they probably look like my petunias , but just pronounced differently.

I am now an older farm sister, so I don't mind yes or no ma'am. In fact, I think I've lived long enough to earn that!! Thanks!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  1:39:38 PM  Show Profile
Jonnie, that is HILARIOUS. My grandmother called lavatera "Lavitra"...like the mens er... function drug..

Warsh makes me crazy.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  8:58:56 PM  Show Profile
How about 'winders' for windows??

"I'm a novelist" when the lady meant novice.

Just saw one today...a Bard Rock Hen. Bet Shakespeare would've liked her.

A 'praid' saddle. That one threw me years ago when I worked at a newspaper as a proofreader in the classified ads. A 'parade' saddle.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Family Matters: Previous Topic Irritating sayings Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page