Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Need suggestions: engagement party with a bonus :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Need suggestions: engagement party with a bonus :) Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  06:35:19 AM  Show Profile
Justin's best friend since college is engaged to his longtime love...and they are expecting a baby (they got engaged on Tuesday and Thursday found out they were expecting!)...so it's a bit of a whirlwind, but not unexpected. They dated in college, but he was painfully shy and just not together so she went off to find someone who was. She married and unfortunately, the man she picked was just not a nice man...all the while, Darren floated in and out of relationships because, well, he just always loved her. And so, she divorced, looked him up and now, they're together after 20 years apart at 38 and 40 years old.

So, you can see why they wasted so little time with the whole family thing !!! It's pretty wonderful, and we're all really excited for them, so I'm throwing them a little engagement/baby wishes party on Saturday.

We were just going to grill out since the weekend is supposed to be gorgeous, but I'm trying to think of something to "give" them something unique, a remembrance, to mark this occasion--it's a pretty big one!!!

Any ideas?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  06:52:57 AM  Show Profile
Jonni you are going to have so much fun. This is truely a blessed occasion! Congrats to the two-soon-to be wed and parents. True love does finally find its self. Take lots of pictures. That would be a wonderful gift to them.

HUGS~~~~Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  06:56:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Brenda! They are both such wonderful people--true love does, indeed, happen. I think maybe I'll take a nice engagement portrait out by our pear tree (it's in full bloom), and try to think of some sort of nice dessert. We're making Italian soda's with our homemade violet syrup since she can't have a glass of champagne :)

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  07:11:55 AM  Show Profile
You might give them a wishes journal. A friend of mine got one at her engagement party. You get a journal and have everyone at the party write their wishes for the couple in it. Then the couple gets to use it to write their wishes for each other in it at each anniversary. It was so sweet and they loved it.

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  07:13:05 AM  Show Profile
Jonni how many will be there? Have you ever had Snicker Salad? It can be used as a dessert and also would go well with your cookout. It is yummy! If your interested I'll send you the receipe. Just let me know. And the Italian soda's sound gooood. Package one up and send it my way!hahaha

Hugs,Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  07:15:16 AM  Show Profile
Great idea, Angela. A friend did that for us at one of our baby showers. It was such a joy to go back and read what they wrote the first week I was home with Violet. I look at it still, now and again.

And yes, Brenda, I'd love the recipe for Snicker Salad. Sounds rockin'!!!! Would you mind sending it to me? There will be 10 of us, and they all have a sweet tooth!

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  07:25:15 AM  Show Profile
Live music is wonderful, if you have some musician friends you could call on =)
Unless you can't stand them, a nice carrot cake goes well especially with fresh whipped cream and fruit.
LOTS of Photos, even amateur ones!
I think just having dear friends to celebrate with will be wonderful!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  07:25:21 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like this will be an amazingly fun gathering! & sorry right now, no ideas, except I can't get Snicker Salad out of my mind.
Brenda, post that here if you don't mind!
Jonni, how do you make the syrup? (I know this should be under the ktchen thread, but OH well)
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  08:48:28 AM  Show Profile
Ok Girl, I had to call daughter for the receipe. But get it posted this afternoon. But I have a few I'll share with you if you would like them.

Cucumber Salad

8 cups cucumber-diced
2 cups celery-diced
1/2 cup onion-diced
Cover with 1 cup sugar and chill

Disolve 2(3oz.) packages Lemon Jello in 2 cups HOT WATER (not cold) When Jello begins to set add 2 cups mayannaise and drained vegetable. Don't let it set fully.

Let stand 18 hours in refrigrater. Will keep for weeks.
DELICIOUS!!

Jello Pritzel Salad

2 Cups corsely grated pritzels
3/4 cups melted oleo(1 1/2 sticks)
1/2 cup sugar
6oz. cream cheese(softened)
1 9oz. frozen cool whip
3/4 cup of sugar
1 6oz. strwberry Jello
1 10oz frozen strawberries
1 Sm. can crushed pineapple(drained)

Stir together, pritzels,oleo,1/2 c. sugar and press into 9x13 pan.
Bake at 350 ro 15 min. Cool

Prepare Jello according to box. Stir in fruit. chill until thick. Combine cream cheese,3/4 c.sugar and mix well. Fold in topping. Spread over Jello. Chill.

Then ENJOY!

Be back later with the snicker salad.
Hugs~~~~Brenda

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  09:07:40 AM  Show Profile
Can you believe this daughter of mine, she texted me the receipe from work. Here goes:

Snicker Salad

3 Apples pealed and cut in to little pieces
3 Bananna's sliced
Grapes cut in half
1 bag of Snicker mini-candy bars cut into 1/4's
Large tub of Cool Whip

Fix the day you will be serving, if but in refig. night before you fruit will get brown.

Hope you all enjoy this one! We have it at all our family dinners. Just had it Easter! yum yum!!

Brenda

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  11:46:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so very much, Brenda. These look wonderful! I know I've had pretzel salad before at our office golf outing. It's a keeper!!!

I can't wait to make this Snicker salad. I know everyone will just love it, and it seems like just the perfect thing for a lovely spring day!!! Thanks, Brenda (and her daughter, via text ;))

Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Need suggestions: engagement party with a bonus :) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page