True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  08:34:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls!
I host our family Christmas breakfast each year. I usually serve the same dishes(because everyone loves them!). This year, I would like to add a new main dish to the celebration. Any suggestions? I make Christmas Morning Wife Saver every year. It's like a cheese/egg Strata with back bacon.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm hoping to make this Christmas breakfast special for my new son-in-law, and the rest of the family too.

Joyce

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  08:54:13 AM  Show Profile
I'll be making something like this three-cheese frittata with Andrew's fabulous potato cakes on the side...we may or may not have bacon. Haven't made up our minds yet. There will be plenty of good coffee and fresh fruit too.
I try to keep it easy, so that we can enjoy the morning with out feeling frazzled.
I'm probably not much help, but...You can always have a spiral-cut ham, soooo good and easy!

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/three-cheese-frittata-recipe.html#

Three-Cheese Frittata
INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 large eggs, beaten well
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 ounce fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 slices
1/3 cup fresh ricotta cheese, well drained and crumbled, or formed into 4 pieces and patted down slightly
1 ounce fontina Val d‘Aosta cheese, cut into 4 slices
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

1. Preheat the broiler.

2. In a 10-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat with the garlic; once the garlic begins to turn light brown, remove and discard. Pour in the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Layer the cheeses on top, then place under the broiler until the edges are light brown and the cheeses have melted, about 3 minutes. Serve immediately, cut into wedges.

Serves 4.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  09:06:43 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Annika! This recipe sounds SO yummy!

I serve fruit, pastries and cakes as well as hot dishes. We always have sparkling apple juice, orange juice and Christmas tea. Sometimes I make hot mulled apple cider in the Crockpot as well(Dh's favorite).

Thanks for sharing,
Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  10:13:07 AM  Show Profile
I always make homemade biscuts with sausage gravy. Everyone loves it and it's fairly easy, only uses one pan to make as well ( there will be plenty of dishes to wash that day ). Fresh fruit, juice ,coffee and then I put out my goodies and candies to snack on. Not very exciting I know but, it is another idea.

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  10:27:06 AM  Show Profile
We do a breakfast strada with fresh eggs and homemade sausage. It's one of our favorites and I love it because by the time we're done opening presents...we can all sit down to a yummy breakfast. I know...isn't much help to you since that's what you already do :) But why change something that works?

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  10:28:56 AM  Show Profile
My family enjoys fried ham slices, a big platter of scrambled eggs made with fresh cream (or even that recipe, which I don't have in front of me, with the cream of chicken soup, but that's more work because I make my own "cream of anything" soup!) and a bowl of apples and onions (fried), or stewed apples with craisins.

YUM!

-Deb

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  10:34:15 AM  Show Profile
And there's always breakfast pizza:

1 to 1 1/2 pounds sausage (or favorite meat)
1 to 1 1/2 cup pizza sauce
12 slices bread
12 slices cheese of choice
3 cups milk
1 tsp salt
5 eggs

Prepare meat (depending on what you're using), and mix together with pizza sauce. Preheat over to 350. In a 9 x 13 pan, top 6 slices of bread with 6 slices of cheese and then add the meat mixture. Layer with the rest of the cheese and remaining bread slices.

Beat together the milk, salt (and other spices if you like) and eggs; pour over bread. Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until done and golden brown. Do not overbake or it will be exceedingly dry. I sometimes cover the pan about 3/4's of the way through the baking time.

-Deb

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  10:47:32 AM  Show Profile
Mexican Grits on the grits box. YUMMMMM
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1682 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  8:23:51 PM  Show Profile
I make crossiants with little smokies rolled into them, fresh fruit, homebaked coffeecake with pecans,juice and coffee. I like my hot tea.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  9:55:53 PM  Show Profile
Not a main dish, but Sour Cream Twists are a must and mimosa. My family insists on Sour Cream Twists every Christmas morning.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  12:20:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls! What great suggestions!

I love to hear how everyone celebrates their Christmas breakfasts. Tradition is a wonderful thing.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Painted Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Stacey
Moscow Idaho
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  3:23:13 PM  Show Profile
I always do a Sausage Gravy Cheesy Hashbrown casserole and French Toast casserole served with fresh fruit and juice! This year I am going to surprise everyone with a Blueberry Cream Cheese French Toast bake! All make ahead dishes ready to pop in the oven in the morning with no fuss! I love food! ~Stacey

Painted Farmgirl #666

Your body is a temple, but how long can you live in the same house before you redecorate?
~Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  8:37:34 PM  Show Profile
Stacey sounds fabulous!!!! Would you share your recipes Sausage gravy hashbrown casserole and blueberry cream cheese french toast bake? Breakfast is not my forte!!!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  8:47:17 PM  Show Profile
I found a great recipe for blueberry egg casserole you can make the night before. If you want it let me know.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4191 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4191 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  04:25:25 AM  Show Profile
I too make an egg strata, that you make ahead of time. I have a french toast recipe also. I do have a recipe for making the night before, cinnamom rolls.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  3:30:51 PM  Show Profile
Hey Michele, could you share your cinnamon roll recipe with us?

Thanks,
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

LisaH
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Lisa
Granger IN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  10:35:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi Joyce!

You've already received many wonderful suggestions and recipes. Christmas breakfast has been a family tradition for us going back to when my dad was little. By the time we finish breakfast we don't want to eat the rest of the day! We usually make an egg casserole that has sliced ham, cheese, and veggies. We also have apple sausage, cinnamon rolls, sausage and gravy with biscuits and pancakes with homemade blueberry syrup. Don't you hate to get full around the holidays? After seeing all of the yummy suggestions we just might have to mix it up a bit this year.

Lisa
An Indiana Suburban Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Painted Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Stacey
Moscow Idaho
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  12:34:30 PM  Show Profile
Here are those recipes as requested: (I love recipes!)

Sausage and Potato Breakfast Casserole
1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk (do not use low-fat or nonfat)

1 1-pound package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes *
3 to 4 green onions, finely chopped
1 1/4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish. Cook sausage in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until brown, breaking into small pieces with back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Mix in flour, then milk. Cook until mixture thickens and comes to boil, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.

Arrange potatoes in prepared dish. Top with 1/3 of green onions, 1 cup cheese, 1/3 of green onions, sausage mixture and remaining 1/4 cup cheese.

Bake casserole until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and serve.

*I use hashbrowns o'brien for added flavor! I also use cubed hashbrowns other than shredded, I just like the different shape!

Blueberry Breakfast Bake

8 slices white bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 package (8oz.) cream cheese, chilled cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup blueberries
8 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
Blueberry syrup

Grease 11x17x1 1/2 inch baking dish. Spread half bread pieces out. Top with the cream cheese and sprinkle blueberries over evenly. Spread remaining bread over blueberries.

In a medium bowl, beat eggs with milk and pour over bread.

Bake 350 degrees, covered for 30 minutes, uncover and bake for 30 minutes longer.

Serve with Blueberry syrup.

~Stacey

Painted Farmgirl #666

Your body is a temple, but how long can you live in the same house before you redecorate?
~Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  4:22:30 PM  Show Profile
Stacey, thanks for the recipes! The blueberry one looks heavenly to me!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  5:30:32 PM  Show Profile
OK girls, I'm drooling on the keyboard and I put on 10# just reading this! =O

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

kmc
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

kai
iowa
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  9:23:39 PM  Show Profile
Stacey thanks for the recipes I cant wait to try them. Thank you for sharing!!!!
Go to Top of Page

breadmaker
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

1 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2009 :  3:27:06 PM  Show Profile
I would like to make herb bread bowls using sour dough and inverted bowls. any help, recipe or advice would be appreciated.

auxygndo
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  7:04:30 PM  Show Profile
Stacey, just wanted to let you know I made the "Blueberry Breakfast Bake" for Thanksgiving morning & it was delicious! Thanks again for the recipe. It was such a big hit that I'm going to make it for Christmas morning.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  07:23:43 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Twelfth Night Scones . . . wonderful!!! Have white baking chips, orange peel, recipe calls for dried cranberries, but I use dried dark sweet cherries because they grow in the front yard.

CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2009 :  09:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Cheese Blintz! I love Cheese Blintz! That is probably what I will make for Christmas breakfast. I will make them ahead of time and freeze them so all I have to do is re-heat them in the oven and then cover with a jam glaze.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Painted Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Stacey
Moscow Idaho
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  12:05:45 PM  Show Profile
Dawn in IL (ddmashayekhi), I made The Blueberry Bake for Thanksgiving Breakfast too! I wanted to make it for my mom because we are going to the DILs for Christmas and I wanted my mom to get some of that delish dish! It turned out great!

I should note thought that you really do need to cut the cream cheese into small pieces otherwise you have large pieces in your breakfast, which some may like, but I think that an even distribution would work better with smaller pieces!

Glad that you loved it just as much as we did! Christmas here I come! ~Stacey

Painted Farmgirl #666

~Author Unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Christmas Breakfast Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page