Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  07:59:07 AM  Show Profile
The other night, I made the turkey and dumplings from the last magazine. I had frozen the last bit of turkey from Thanksgiving, and it was the perfect amount for this recipe. I had everything else on hand except potatoes. It was delicious. I used my cast iron dutch oven and it all went great. The only problem I had was that I followed the directions to simmer (not boil) while dropping and cooking the dumplings. They did not really cook. So I eventually turned the heat up a bit and cooked it much longer. The dumplings still could have been cooked more, but we ate it and it was good.
I have never made regular dumplings before, but have made Matzoh balls dozens of times. With matzoh balls, you drop them into boiling soup and mine have always come out great. So in the future, I'll make the T and D according to instructions, up till the dropping of dumplings, at which point, I will boil, gently. The simmer just did not do it. The whole rest of the dish - taste and texture - was fantastic!
Yum - make some today!

Peace, Love, and Joy

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  08:02:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi Pamela!
You are right, dumplings require a soft boil. All of it is trial and error, right? ha
coffeemom
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic MJ's Turkey and Dumplings Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page