Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2009 :  10:27:24 AM  Show Profile
This is a recipe that is delicious, but I save it for only special days! Like Christmas, or it's excellent to make when camping, too. It's another one of those that you can gain 10 pounds wihtout even having to eat it!

French Toast Caserole
*French bread, slice 1" on the bias
*Generously butter dish, stand bread up in dish

Custard
*Eight eggs, beaten
*1 c. milk
*2 c. cream
*salt
*2 T. sugar
*1/4 t. cinnamon
*1/4 t. nutmeg
*1 T. vanilla
Whisk together, pour over & in between bread slices. Cover, refridgerate overnight.

Praline
*1 c. brown sugar
*2 T. honey or agave nectar, brown rice syrup, corn syrup
*1/2 t. cinnamon
*1/2 t. nutmeg
*1/2 lb. butter
Mix, add
*1 c. peacans
Spread over bread. Cook 350' for 35-45 min. Serve with maple syrup.

All of creation sings Your praise!

Edited by - Singing Tree Farm on Dec 10 2009 10:29:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Painted Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Stacey
Moscow Idaho
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  12:03:49 PM  Show Profile
Cari (Singing Tree Farm) I do a similar recipe and have for a couple of years for my family Christmas breakfast but this year I am going to surprise them with the Blueberry Bake that I mentioned earlier in these posts. I love the French Toast one that I used to do, I also wanted to mention that if you get the thick sliced loaves of bread for either recipe get the loaf with the maple syrup baked into the bread it turned out great for the Blueberry bake! ~Stacey

Painted Farmgirl #666

Your body is a temple, but how long can you live in the same house before you redecorate?
~Author Unknown

Edited by - Painted Farmgirl on Dec 11 2009 6:07:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  2:37:37 PM  Show Profile
Stacey, I printed the recipes, I'm sure my family will really like them. I'll try them. Here's another one that is similar. I like it but to be honest, I don't know that I would serve it to the big group.

Berry Baked Pancake
3 eggs
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup milk
1 T baking powder
2 large Granny Smith apples
1/4 cup fresh blueberries
2 T butter
2 T brown sugar

*Put pie plate in preheated 375' oven.
*Meanwhile, combine eggs, flour, milk, and baking poweder.
*Peel and slice apples 1/4' thick.
*Remove pie plate from oven, melt butter in it. Grease sides.
*Spread apples evenly in bottom.
*Pour egg mixture over top.
*Sprinkle with br. sugar and berries.
*Bake 25 min.
*Serve hot with maple syrup.

Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  2:59:57 PM  Show Profile
I can't believe I forgot!! I was just looking through my recipes and I found this one. The last time I made it was when we were camping and I cooked it in the dutch oven. It is excellent! I printed it from chuckwagondiner.com.

Peachy French Toast

1 dozen eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 t vanilla
1 T cinnamon
1 loaf French or Italian bread, sliced
1/2 lb butter
1 lb brown sugar
3 16 oz cans of peaches, drained

Beat eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon in a large bowl. Let bread soak in egg mixture. Melt butter, place in bottom of pan. Add brown sugar to butter, mix well till carmelized. Add in peaches. Place bread and egg mixture on top. Bake 45 min at 350.
Also, I'm sure that I used less sugar-I always do use less than the recipe calls for. I also added some of the peach juice (I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure I used at least some of the peach juice rather than draining it, I could have used all of it).

Edited by - Singing Tree Farm on Dec 13 2009 3:02:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  4:30:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, I'm with Judy on this post! YUM! YUM! YUM! I'm such a bum. I always order "Christmas breakfast" from Swiss Colony! It comes with everything you need-- pancake mix, ham, bacon, even the SYRUP! The only thing we have to add is eggs and potatoes (if anyone wants them). My husband makes the breakfast while I clean up the mess made after opening presants. I'm not sure yet who gets the better deal..... After reading this though, I might just have to save the "breakfast in a box" for another day and get busy in the kitchen MYSELF! Thanks for sharing ladies. Much appreciated. ~~Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  08:59:51 AM  Show Profile
We have the same Christmas Breakfast every year. My DD makes chocolate chip pancakes, eggs, bacon, home made biscuits and Chocolate Gravy. My grandmother made the gravy and when she died it became my job. It wouldn't be Christmas morning without it.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  09:18:56 AM  Show Profile
I have so many coming and going all Christmas day, we tend to do a buffet, it starts out breakfast of scrambled cheesy eggs, thick bacon and biskits and sausage gravey, then we go to snacky stuff, biskits and jams with honeybutter, veggys with dips and then later it is honey ham and smoked turkey with all the fixings. So by the end of the day, we are so full it hurts, lol.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Christmas Breakfast Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page