Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  09:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Melody June- I love the Little House books for just that reason! An honest look at how a family made the simple life work for them (well they didn't have much choice) but the true love and family ties that were formed is amazing to read about. I try and read the series at least once a year, usually in the fall or winter. I find it very inspirational!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  10:15:36 AM  Show Profile
My late Nana gave me the Little House series when I was first learning how to read, back in the early 1970's. I re-read them periodically as they inspire me so much. You know, I thought this simplifying would all be about getting rid of some extra stuff but now I wonder how deep it really goes.

**Farmgirl Sister #622**

“It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  10:19:32 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Hallie---this is a very timely thought!!! I was just going to do a post on the emotional and mental park of decluttering and liveing a simple life. I will get on it tonight when I have a clearer head and more time. : )

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bertha
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Bertha
St Joseph Mi
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  3:52:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls Many years ago I read the book called SIMPLE ABUNDANCE Try to check it out It changed my way of thinking HUGS Bert
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  8:48:12 PM  Show Profile
Annika, I am so with you on simplicity! I am clearing stuff out left and right! I am really starting to take a serious look at what I have and what I really want to have! One thing I am finding is that it does absolutely no good what so ever to have all kinds of craft supplies, if I do have the space to organize them properly because then all I do is clean all of the time and I never have time to make anything! We are getting ready to move and I am getting very particular on what is going with us!

Bert, I will have to check out the book! It sounds like just what I need!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  10:19:23 PM  Show Profile
AKKK! it seems like I've been sorting forever and I STILL have 10 big bins of "must-have clothing" and two HUGE piles of unsorted clothing I NOW want to sort all of this all over again and keep sorting until I have a tidy, workable wordrobe ...Cranky Irish chick, WATCH OUT!

Once I have my home back, I'm going to work on my inner clutter and teach myself to live simply, mindfully and joyfully with out the need for personal clutter to feel satisfied!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  10:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Annika- Why don't you go ahead and take the stuff that you have already sorted out to be donated down to te Salvation Army. Maybe getting that cleared out will give you more thinking room? Maybe getting that cleared out will give you inspiration as you sort through the next bunch? *hugs* I think you are doing fabulous!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  10:57:15 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Alee, I'm planning a Saturday donation run and it will feel great!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  07:35:00 AM  Show Profile
Annika~I have been doing the same thing. Since I stayed home to homeschool I have filled my van so many times and taken things to the thrift store or the recycling center. I am continuously going through everything and discarding things we don't use, wear or even like. I do sell some things through consignment shops or trade in credits. My daughter decided she was going to do the same thing and she cleared out all her junk and now her room looks fantastic.

I am trying to buy only good foods and cook from scratch. Cleaning out the pantry and freezer. Not buying any more convenience and junk food. The more I get rid of and make myself the better I feel.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  12:18:46 PM  Show Profile
This is the best topic!!! I just got 5 food safe buckets so I can buy more bulk style and cook only from scratch. Already had a big one for my flour, so now have one for sugar and will get some rice and not sure, oh maybe noodles Anyway I really need to declutter. In fact this just may get me motivated. I have enough books to open a store but I really do read them over and over. Will go through and see if can spare any, my daughter and I did this last year and got rid of a couple boxes!!! Clothes that is where I need to go, if I lose enough to get back into some I should be able to replace at that point , only on sale or thrift!!
Oh now I am getting excited, let's keep this one going ok???
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  12:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Great job ladies!! I removed a basketful of small clothes from Charlie's room, a few toys, a few stuffies and some bathroom items. YEE HAW!!!

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  1:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We got some more junk and clutter cleaned out today! It's amazing how packaging from going to Costco and such can really add up! I have two more bags that need to be sorted through to go to the thrift shop and we have taken out about five bags of things to the garbage. The house is starting to shape up!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  06:39:44 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning! The sun is shinning here!! I am in the process of getting rid!!! Going through dresser drawers and yippeeeee. Best to do this when I am in the mood to get rid because nothing is safe
Have a great day!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  08:16:19 AM  Show Profile
I love this topic! I too suffer from clutter and aim to live a more simple life.

As we are in the remodeling mode, if we cannot use it or has not been used in a year, it is going. Here are a few ideas that I have used:
1.If our children can use it or want it, they can have it.
2.I have also donated things to an apartment complex (low income, one of my friends lives there, they have a spot in the laundry room where people place good unwanted items)
3.Thrift Stores.
3.Old flower pots and containers, I give to a farm that raises plants to sell in the summertime.
4.Place things outside with a "Take me home, I'm Free!" sign on, you would be surprised how much you can recycle that way.
5.Recycling Centers.
6.And if it's at the end of usefulness a dump run!
7.For all of my horse tack (extra's and unwanted items) and extra dog collars and toys, towels, small blankets animal rescues are always in need.

"It's not what I do, but how I do it!"~Mae West~
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  08:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Rock on ladies!!! You are inspiring me!!! (((HUGS)))

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  08:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Annika- waiting with bated breath to hear how your trip to donate your sorted stuff goes! I hope when you get home the "new" space really helps!

Well as I have been doing and sorting the laundry I have been pulling out the laundry that is too stained and worn out to continue to use. That is going to help a lot!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  11:44:30 AM  Show Profile
I need the landlord's truck and he is using it today, darn it!!!! But I WILL keep sorting and pulling things together...You should see this huge stack of stuff!!!! I'm SOOOO happy to be self empowered to finally get rid of all of this junk! =) If I can't get the truck tomorrow, I'm calling all of the thrift stores and seeing if any of them will come out beyond town limits to do a pick up. I am loving on the image of a spartan home and simple decorating! Next up is another run through of my clothing and a brutal paring down of ignored books YIPPEE!

Ok, I'm just excited by the tasks. It feels so good to let go of all of this stuff. So clean and freeing. Once the clutter is gone, I will be breathing a huge sigh of sanity and relief...
Thanks so much all of you and especially Heather and Alee for cheering me on. I'm lovin' it!

Back to the battle zone!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  11:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Another idea is to take one or two bags in per trip to town. Maybe your honey could drop some off when he goes to work? I know that there aren't any real thrift shops on that side of town, but the Nazarene church now has a thrift shop and perhaps you could talk to them and he could drop the bags off on the church property? That atleast is on the way to his work! :D

I am so excited for you!! I can't wait to hear more about how your home is shaping up!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  3:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you gals ever gone to Flylady.net? She is the best coach for getting control of your CHAOS. In fact, after reading this thread I am convinced I need to revisit Flylady. It is a wonderful sight and full of ways to gain control right down to scheduling what to do each day. And it all works wonderfully. She is a blessed person who you can tell truly loves her fellow sisters in this chaotic world. Give it a try.
Nan in Ark.

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  3:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Nan---I used flylady when I first started many years ago. It is fun and helpful!!! : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  4:23:43 PM  Show Profile
Ok got through my drawers and one bag for a friend, one for the Sunshine Closest (thrift store in area) and one a couple for the dump!!! I am pretty excited with the start.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  4:53:16 PM  Show Profile
Doesn't this just feel GOOD? to clean out the clutter and mess...I think we are all doing great with our simplifying! Thanks for posting your successes, its encouraging and inspirational to a reforming packrat like me

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  5:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
YEE HAW!! We are all doing so good. I got the carpets shampooed and everything wiped down from dirt and dust. I have a HUGE bag to donate..it's amazing...I THOUGHT I was pretty cleaned out but I am on that last purge. : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  5:34:34 PM  Show Profile
I have begun buying some things in bulk. Bought 20# of basmati rice and (2) 10# bags of whole grain flour at the Costco yesterday. Will have to clean out more stuff before I can go any farther with that kind of bulk buying.

We are planning on making a run to Goodwill next week. That should get rid of at least 4 boxes. Y’all are getting me more excited about putting this process into action. I am going to try and keep looking for ways to trim down but I’m not far into it.

**Farmgirl Sister #622**

“It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2009 :  5:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Hey..farmgirls..who would feel comfortable posting pics of our new spaces??? I am working on mine...may have them up on Mon-Tues. Anyone else want to join me???

Hallie- I just bought 2 HUGE glass storage jars for my flour and sugar. It looks so simple and pretty. I need to get another one for the rice. : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Seeking simplicity Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page