Page: of 3

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  6:41:51 PM  Show Profile
In the last few years my life has become increasingly cluttered. I am now completely fed up with my packrat-y existence and want a simple, tidy, less material life...maybe its my form of a midlife crisis but I'm really into cutting out the junk and creating a simple life for myself and Drew. So any advice on simplifying? I'm already making huge piles of stuff to take to the thrift and the rest to the dump that is un-usable ...but simplicity is also a life style choice and a state of mind, so I need to do a lot of re-arranging priorities in my head.

I've already started by having simple, less ostentatious holidays and not buying anything that isn't absolutely necessary, bringing less stuff home from the thrift I'm a shameless clothes collector *sigh* I'm re-arranging my pantry to buy in bulk and not buy convenience foods...simplify, simplify, simplify!!!

So, anyone else into simplicity? I'd like to start a simple living thread and post tips and ideas for a more simple and fulfilling life there

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  7:04:38 PM  Show Profile
Annika:
I hear you! I've been trying to simplify. Trying!!!!!!! I went up in the attic last week to begin the cleaning out. I was so overwhelmed all I did was cry. What a mess. The junk is overwhelming. After crying, I started laughing. Why did I need all this crap! I got mad. However, the attic is less three bags of junk. LOL Keep us posted on your simplification.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  7:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Annika! You and I are on the same wave length! I have already taken one huge bag of stuff to the thrift, have another bulging out the sides and tops ready to go, and a bag to give to my sister. I am determined to use what is in my stash before buying anything more- (or help my mom to lessen hers by "shopping" at her house!)

One of the best things I do is go through the house about once a week and make sure there isn't garbage piling up somewhere. My husband drinks a lot of soda and I find cans in the weirdest places. When I am doing that I make sure that all the junk mail is sorted and recycled. I used to keep every copy of every bill that came in and I realized that was silly. So I only keep one copy of a bill in my file box and replace it when there has been a major change to that account. So instead of having 15 copies of a bill I only keep one and might up date the file box every 3 months or so. I really only keep the bills to make sure I always have contact information for my creditors. That saved a lot of space and weight right there.

Another trick is to go ahead and get some organizational things for cupboards and things like that. I just bought a $10 stacking pantry shelf at Wal-Mart and it is the perfect size for Nora and her toys. She can put things in the cubby holes and still see them and doesn't have to struggle to open drawers to find toys. I think they would be excellent for a sewing or crafting room as well.

Keep only what you love and if you haven't used or worn it in a year really consider donating it! If it doesn't fit- donate it! You can always thrift later for other clothes in your size and it is so rewarding to have a "new" outfit if you have lost some weight or just want to feel a little better about the size you are at.

Hope that helps!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  8:16:52 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Farmgirls...email me...or I can post my ideas here..I have gone through this.. I don't know if any of my advice or ideas would help..but I have come a long way in the idea of living a simple live and HOW I do..if you are interested. : )

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  8:53:32 PM  Show Profile
Go Farmgirls on the donate, we just today took 2 huge black bags of clothes down, and I'm working on another. One thing I've noticed and I think Alee brought it up elsewhere is I like to make lists. Before bed each night write a list for the next day, make it tough but possible. Make it a goal to accomplish all or most on the list the next day. Like clean out a certain area or one closet each day, it's so rewarding ( at least for me ) to see those items getting scratched off my list. As you clean take it to donate or to the trash right away. I've put my bags in the garage before until I "had time" believe it or not I found myself out there digging through them a few weeks later! Hope this helps and good luck.

Warm Wishes
Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
http://jenscountrylife.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  8:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- Your tips would be awesome if you posted them here! And I think you should start your cleaning challenges again!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  9:01:19 PM  Show Profile
I've wanted to simplify for the last couple of years but get so overwhelmed with the "stuff" that we've both collected over the past 32 years that I've crashed and burned more times than not. But eventually, I get back up and dust myself off and try again. DH has been working in Cheyenne for the past 10 months and I think I'm finally going to be able to move up with him. I figure with a move, I'll be more inclined to finally get the clutter under control-who wants to move all that stuff? One of my big issues is DH's clutter, I'm hoping he will also be more inclined to get rid of it rather than move it. At least that's the plan at this point.

ANY tips would be greatly appreciated by this farmgirl!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  9:06:45 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I owe you an email ANY and all advice is welcome!
Marly, Alee, thank you for posting, it's great to see other farmgirls on the same road to simple living! Maybe we can all go through our craft and sewing stashes and trade things that we can't think of a use for? One girl's trash is another girl's treasure
I'm currently going through my huge stacks of books and will soon post a whole list of books up for grabs. I have a LOT of craft and cook books!

Anyway, ladies, thank all of you who have read my post, it is good to share my thoughts and plans with my farmgirl sisters as I go down the path of de-cluttering my life.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  9:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I have been doing the same thing. I totally agree with making lists. I have them on my shopping list (magnetic) on my fridge.. so it's right there in my face all the time. It helps. I also separate things into "donate", "gift to someone else", and "trash" and "barter" ..basically. lol.

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775
Hencho of Gulf Coast Farmgirls - Sub-group of Heart of Texas Farmgirls

http://maggielousdaughter.blogspot.com
(in construction!)

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  02:00:30 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ok... I will get a post up this weekend some time. : )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  05:35:50 AM  Show Profile
I wish I lived near some of you! The thrift stores will have a lot of good stuff in them now. Good for all of you! Doesn't it feel so much better to have less stuff to clutter up your home? You can even breath easier, too.

I started getting rid of things about 5 years ago when we moved into this house. It had to be gutted from the start. Plus the attic was already full of the previous owners stuff. There was so much work to do to get it all done. I could not tell you how many truck loads of trash we took to the dump. And when our church youth had yard sales we donated tons of stuff. The first time they came with 3 trucks and they were all full when they left. Second time 2 truck loads. Where did it all come from?

I still have alot of stuff that I am slowly weeding out. Things I've had for years. I pulled the truck up to the room next to the kitchen where I feed my cats and dogs and threw everything in the truck. Just a bunch of junk. Another truckload. And with every truckload I feel so much better.

So I think I will get there too. It takes alot of work and determination to do it but it can be done. Don't give up. Plow through!!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Oct 17 2009 05:36:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  05:38:22 AM  Show Profile
Well, I just recently moved into a smaller home. yep......don't know what I was thinking. But it was cute!!!!

So in the move I reduced much of my stuff. But I do find making lists everyday helps me to stay organized and keep things neat. I make a list of EVERYTHING I need to get done. From taking out trash to organizing the basement. Because sometimes if you don't put even the smallest task on the list it gets forgotten then things start to pile up. And if you do the simple tasks, it is fun to cross something off the list. And you feel you have accomplished quite a bit in your day.

Also you will find out just what small amounts of time it takes to keep up with the small tasks that keep a house neat.

Good Luck
Arttie
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  07:27:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
And sometimes you might have all the things you need and want but because they aren't organized it takes up more space than it ought to. I am going to be buying some of those plastic tubs for storage and really getting some of the clutter out of the house. And my cupboards really need some help in organization. I just need to hire Heather to come out and re-vamp my house for me! LOL

Heather- you should start an organization company. I saw a company van in the Wal-Mart parkinglot that advertised that they were professional organizers. "No job to big or too little" their sign said. Pretty cool, eh?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  08:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I would LOVE to actually do it..again...when I had my house cleaning business, I also advertised decluttering/cleaning out of homes. I don't know if that would fly in this market right now. I would charge $50 a day or depending on what room it was. You got me for 8 hours. Often, people just needed me to organize their stuff and deep clean the room. That is doable in most normal situations. I might look into it again. : ) I also worked with my dad when he did painting contracting. Ialso helped stage rooms for sale...back before there was such a thing.

I am a visual person, so I can see past awful paint colors, wall paper, clutter, room decore..etc..I can see the scrubbed up version of something perty in a space. It's a good use of my OCD!!! ; )

Heather

Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  08:58:21 AM  Show Profile
Annika
I wish you luck
I am a pack rat too
We recently moved into our new home we built
I had thrown out, de- cluttered - gotten rid of things too
but still have quite a bit
I am hopeless I suppose as I love all kinds of needle work
and the stuff that goes with them
and sewing and quilting
and playing piano and music books
I read too so there
I have books and books
probably enough to open a small book store tee hee.
but,
I am reading my books and getting rid of those I read.
I am trying not to buy things
heck
I can't buy much now any ways as it takes one of hubby's paychecks to pay for our new home we built
But,
At lest we have a better place to live and a new home.
Good luck hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativewritings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  09:39:20 AM  Show Profile
I have a rule that I stick to. If I bring anything new home, i.e., store bought, thrift, yard sale etc, something in the same catagory has to leave, and as I am going thru things to find the one to get rid of, I usualy find two or three. When my kids were young, they knew at their birthdays or Christmas, they too had to give up things, other wise there would be no room for the new. I/we have donated tons of stuff to the food bank for their clothes closet, and lots of toys have gone to the womens shelter. When storage is at a premium, ( I have a 976 sq ft, 3 small bedrooms and 1 bath house, which I raised 4 kids in ), there has never been room for any extras.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  09:43:09 AM  Show Profile
i think this is something many of us are trying to do too. i have been now for some time as i get ready to start a new life with my soon to be husband. one suggestion i can make is when you do buy things buy things that will last even if they cost a bit more. its worth it in the long run and quality is more important.

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  10:03:27 AM  Show Profile
I'm about to rent a U-haul, pack EVERYTHING into it, deep clean and do any repairs and painting and such, and then start moving in the basics and see what is left and and only keep the things that I have actually found a need for in the last year...ugg! what a cluttered mess!!!

You all have such good advice, I going to start a de-cluttering notebook and start making do-able lists of things to accomplish each day.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  4:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Oh yes, totally got fed up/slightly depressed last year! Still working at it, but you'll be in a better place for sure! Hang in there and keep your head up you'll get there. xoxo

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."

http://liggybitsandpieces.blogspot.com/
http://ligonierliving.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

vtstevens
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Virginia
Woodinville WA
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  5:31:49 PM  Show Profile
This is so interesting: I and my family are in exactly the same mindset as all of my farmgirl sisters here. We have been doing the following:
* try to go for 7-10 days cooking up food we have in the house only, no shopping (we have so
much storage food, etc.) It's amazing how much you have around that goes to waste.
* go through every book, sell those you don't want to 1/2 Priced Book Store, donate the rest
to nursing homes, Veteran's homes
* extra canned goods and things we seem to buy but not eat, go to church food bank
* unwanted clothing gets sold on eBay, Craig's list, or on my daughter's Facebook site, the
rest gets either "upcycled" here at home (a la Project Runway) or donated
* unwanted furniture gets sold to college students, sold on Craig's list, or donated
* paper, magazines, old pads of paper, boxes, get recycled
* top shelves of old flower vases (I have gabillions) get recycled
* leftovers of grains, pasta, etc get recycled through the chickens
* some stuff is just rubbish, and we finally make a dump run, which costs less than "county
"waste management" here in "$ Ka Ching $" (King) County
* old momentos are: made into shadow boxes, sewn into a vintage style upcycled garment, if paper momento, then it is scanned into computer memory, and then the original discarded (good for all that school stuff), old jewelry is made into "reliquaries" which is all the rage now.

This has helped us at our home quite a bit. Good luck with all of yours!

getting ready.....
Go to Top of Page

blackantsnpeonys
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Denise
Hinckley Illinois
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  8:28:54 PM  Show Profile
I have a little pink rock that sits on the window sill above my kitchen sink that says "Simplify". I paid $25cents for it at a garage sale. It is a constant reminder that has helped me a great deal.
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  10:47:43 AM  Show Profile
I like your ideas, Virginia.

I've realized everyone has their own way to de clutter. I know for me it is very personal, I have to detach myself from the stuff. I started a year ago and little by little I am making headway. I have gone from 2 storage buildings down to 1. That was a huge step. I inherited from an aunt and my mom and I'm such a softy all of it was sentimental to me. Once my mom passed it hit me "you really can't take it with you." I love to barter, but to receive I try to stick to things we can eat, use up like soaps or candles of give as a gift. I like knowing someone really needs the item. I can't do garage sales, just don't want strangers touching my things. I watch a BBC channel where they come to your house and take all your stuff out to the yard and want you to make piles to give away, donate, or keep. One lady broke down and had them take it all back in. It was her daughter that invited them and mom just could not play the game. I know how that lady felt. But in my own time I'm down from 12 large clear tubs of quilting fabric to 9 and still going, baby steps. I do donate but to women's shelter's and food pantry's, only places that don't charge for the person in need to have it.
It amazes me, we spend a whole life acquiring things we feel we must have only to then reach a stage where we must down size because we know we can really never use it all. LOL

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  12:47:12 PM  Show Profile
I am surprised at all the farmgirls who feel just like me. I am trying to downsize and have just started to place things in the Attic in boxes so that this summer I can hold a garage sale but I don't know if I want to have a garage sale. Sometimes I just want all my friends to come over and go through my attic and take whatever they want and give the rest to the thrift store or my neice so she can sell it at her garage sales. But just looking at my dask top I need to toss about 10 things and I think but I use this and oh Janice or whoever gave me that so it's special. I do want to Simplify but its a lot harder mentally than it should be.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  12:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Everything comes in its due time...if you are not ready now...then work with that...maybe just do one drawer or organize some paperwork and then forget about it for awhile. It took me several months to work up to doing the BIG purge.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  09:54:49 AM  Show Profile
This is something I am just looking into, really. I am fed up with packrat life. I have subscribed and will be back to catch up on all the posts.

**Farmgirl Sister #622**

“It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  04:41:38 AM  Show Profile
Hallie, when I read your post and got down to the Laura Ingalls quote a soft voice inside me reminded me of Ma Ingalls. When Pa built her the log cabin she was so proud to set just ONE figurine on the mantel. I remember thinking when I read that how simple life really must have been to feel content with just one decoration in a whole home. Well that and putting little bits of red felt in the base of the kerosene lamp to add a little color to the room. That is what I'm striving for, Simple.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Seeking simplicity Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page