MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  4:35:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls! I was at the park the other day and heard a Mom yell "Mud" across the playground. I was thinking she was weird, paranoid about dirt or something, but two seconds later a boy came running over and asked her what she wanted. I thought that was so funny. So it got me thinking about silly little nicknames we have for our kids and how funny it is for other people to hear them and have no idea what you're talking about! So I'd like to know what you call your kids and why. Let's share!
My dd is Madison and of course, we call her Maddie. But we also call her Goose ( from silly goose) and DH has always called her Pukes McGee (she had an issue when she was a baby with keeping her milk down), but now he likes to call her Stinky McGee because she has some seriously stinky feet. I'm glad she's only 3 or she'd be really embarrassed by this!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Or go without!

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  5:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Han is my nickname. Or sometimes my brothers call me Hannah banana. I'm not really sure why they started calling me that but they do anyway.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  7:26:22 PM  Show Profile
Now that's the kind of nickname I like! The kind that makes no sense to anyone but your family! Cute! :-)

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  7:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I call Nora "Nori" sometimes because it rhymes with "Mommy" so when she says "Mommy Mommy Mommy!" I say "Nori Nori Nori!!"

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  7:34:19 PM  Show Profile
My name is Lisa..but I have noticed, that my closest friends, without any suggestion or any other provocation from me will ultimatly call me "Lis"(pronounces LEES) Whenever someone calls me "Lis", I cherish it. Don't know why, but I just do..Hubby & family have never done this..it is just a friend thing.
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  03:25:51 AM  Show Profile
Melissa~ I used to call my oldest son Pukes McGee sometimes, too! How crazy! Wonder where that came from? When he was little he spit up alot, even now (He's only 2) he can just randomly decide to puke, then go right on about his business. Kinda gross...I have also started calling my younger son Chubs now for some reason, even though he isn't a really chubby baby.

Anyway, my Dad is really bad about giving anyone and everything nicknames. My sister Julie is Fluff, my brother Andrew has had several, but the one used most often is Jack, I think as a shortened version of Andrew Jackson maybe?? Even my mom has several from him. I think at some point in their lives, all of his grandkids have been called Poopser, too.

My real name is Antoinette, but I have always been called Toni. Whenever most people find out my real name, they wonder where the Toni comes from. When I was little, my Dad called me Duck because of how my hair looked when I got out of the bathtub, then when I was older, somehow he and my Mom started just calling me Girl. So much so that a younger cousin of mine was staying with us for a few days, and he thought that was what my name really was.
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  09:02:14 AM  Show Profile
That is so funny - yes, my name is Girl! Since this isn't just about the kiddos anymore, I guess I should tell you all about my family nicknames too. My name is Melissa, my family calls me Liss or Lissa, though my husband has NEVER used that. He always calls me Melissa and it drives me bonkers. My brother is Taylor but we have always called him T. My parents call eachother Putz - I have no idea how that started and they don't either, all I know is I'm almost 30 and they've done it my entire life. My husbands family has NO nicknames whatsoever. Even his brother will not allow us to call his kids anything but their entire names! Caitlyn can not be shortened - it must stay Caitlyn! I think the only other slightly odd one in my family is a cousin I have named Alison that we call Annie. That's not her middle name, I don't know where it came from, but her parents always called her that and everyone else just kind of picked it up over the years. Oh! And my Dad, DD's Grandpa will sometimes call her Peanut or Nut - she really does not like this and seems to think it's somehow offensive (she's only 3) and will get very angry at him because of it. This is a fun topic!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  09:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Charlie's is "BUBBA"..it's a Texas thang...When Scott doesn't pay attention to me in the store, I just yell "TEXAS" and he responds immediately..his nickname is Bull but I can't bring myself to call him that...lol...I have mentioned Tank and Mama Morehouse before for myself.

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  09:35:03 AM  Show Profile
These are funny!
My name is Leslie, and my nickname is Starry because I have a gold star tatooed on my artificial eye. Most people call me Starry. My husband calls me Hazel, as in Witch Hazel, because I can get snarky, lol! Hubby's nickname usually starts with the word A$$---, anything can follow that first word....!
My oldest is just AJ, but my youngest, Jonah, I call Junie. We used to play hide-and-seek when he was a baby and I just contorted his name to fit my voice when I looked for him. It's a private name, never to used outside the house!
My nieces and nephews call me Aunt CC. It stands for Credit Card because I shopped and spoiled each one of them when they were babies. Then I got married and my credit cards were taken away, but the name still stands!

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  10:38:53 AM  Show Profile
My second son Casey's nickname has always always been Goober. I tend to shorten it to Goob, and do get some strange looks when I call this 6'4" man Goob in public. He is a good sport about it. When he started kindergarten he thought Goober was his REAL name and Casey was a nickname!! Had to set him straight. Oldest son Corey used to get called Cornelius alot. He asked what his FULL name was since most of his friends had names that were short for something and his wasn't. So (teasing) I said his name was Cornelius and he believed me...that went on quite awhile. Youngest son gets called Buddy just as much as he is called by his name Dalton. The rest of the family doesn't have any real nicknames. I think nicknames zre cute though.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  1:00:29 PM  Show Profile
We always called our 2 kids Heather "Banana" and Abby "Lemon". Don't really know why. The grands are Chloe, who's never had a nick name, then her little sis Coryn who we called Sissy. Her other family calls her Shorty. Then Kansas came along and we started calling her Sassy-Frass. My hubby was in a motorcycle gang and they all had strange nick names. Like opposite of what they were. So he was called Tiny. He's 6 1/2 feet tall. I didn't know his real name for a long time. Still call him Tiny. And I am Frissy. My sister started calling me Aunt Frissy and her kids call me that now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  1:30:35 PM  Show Profile
These are great! We are a nickname family too. My oldest, Riley, is Rile McGile, Mason is either Poopsie or Mame and everyone calls Taite, Taiter (salad sometimes too, lol) or dude. My Ma (Nancy) was Pooter, Dad - Butch (not his real name), my brother Tractor (real name Robert Jr), and the younger bro Droog (really Andrew).

Toni and Melissa - in our house (both childhood and now) we have Fibber McGee, must be something about those McGees, lol.

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  3:27:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh me too, My oldest Michael is Monkey he loved to climb trees when he was little hes 18 now and wants to be called River Warrior, Devin my middle is Opie because of his red hair or just Dev. Dylan my youngest is Termite,or Dill Bug. Me my grandaddy called me KK so everyone else picked up on it and my hubbys name is Joshua Douglas and most people call him Josh or JD.
Its fun seeing what everyone calls their family. Melissa, thanks for a cute post! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  5:12:19 PM  Show Profile
When my daughter Susannah was little I called her Snooze because she was my little snooze alarm. I'd get her off to sleep and then ten minutes later she would be awake again. My son Martin is still called the Martian by his mom and his sister.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  6:57:16 PM  Show Profile
These just keep getting better! What's with the McGee? Where does that come from? A lot of us seem to have that-I wonder where it started! And Karen, my maiden name was Munks, so I got Monkey all the time in school!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  7:01:48 PM  Show Profile
When I was a teen & in good shape my dad called me "Legs McGirk"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  05:55:31 AM  Show Profile
My name is Jonni, so I go by "Jon" a lot--my dad first called me that, now my husband does. Mom does, too, now that I think of it. My good friend in high school called me "Jake". Don't know how it got started, but I liked it.

Our Violet has quite a few. The ones that have stuck are "Button","Little Wren" and "Vi Vi Cutie-Pie"

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  2:45:42 PM  Show Profile
My Dad always called me Janie,he named my daughter Maggie, her real name is Mary Margaret,I think the only ones who ever really called her that is myself and her sister Karin. She also gets M&M a lot. My grand daighter I call Linny Nic and now a few really close to her do to. My grandson I have called BJ or BJ Bear and Mr.Man. Funny how these things get started and stick.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  7:49:49 PM  Show Profile
When I was younger, my brother always called me "lady Jane". My aunts used to call me Pamela Jane and my grandma was pretty much the only one that could call me Pamela. My sister's nickname was "Rierie" (like ree-ree) b/c we couldn't always pronounce her name of Valerie. When I got older & started working, at my first job, they called me "Spammy/Pammy". In college, the girls would call me Pammer. I didn't have a whole lot of nicknames, really.

I always call my nephew "munchkin". I called him "buddy" about a month ago & he looks at me, very seriously, & says "Aunty, I'm NOT your buddy". So I had to apologize & start calling him "munchkin" again.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2009 :  04:33:06 AM  Show Profile
Oh, how funny!

My girls are Bunns LaTush' and Cheeks LaRue. and I have no idea why. For some reason at bedtime I just called them that and it stuck. They argue over who's who. They bust up in laughter each and every time.

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  4:42:03 PM  Show Profile
ha ha ha!
These are so good. My oldest son,(22), is Doodlebug and my younger son, (21), is Pumpy, (short for pumpkin, the older son couldn't say it).
Go to Top of Page

wncmtnmama
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Marilyn
Asheville NC
25 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  04:54:14 AM  Show Profile
DH and I call our daughter BUG (Katie-bug, a play on lady bug), which is our most common nickname for her. He sometimes calls her snake (don't know where that came from, but it stuck). We also call her itty too bitty and skinny too mini because when she has her yearly check ups at the Pediatrician (she's 6 now) she just barely makes it onto the "charts" for her weight.

I guess I'm just paranoid, but I don't like to use her real name in stores. I don't know why, but it always bothered me when she was a baby and total strangers would ask me what I named her. I started saying Lula Tallulah and invariably, I'd get "the look" from them as if they were thinking "shame on you for giving your child such a weird name". My daughter knows that only family calls her BUG and her dad and I are the only ones who use the other names. She named me "Sweet Pea" and calls her dad "Big Bad Daddy Cat".
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  12:46:58 AM  Show Profile
These are all too cute! We know another mom who calls her DD bug or buglette and it is TOO CUTE to hear my 3 year old call her little friend buglette! She cracks me up!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Mother Hen to The Knitty Gritty Farmgirls of the Inland Empire
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  04:13:50 AM  Show Profile
My grammy used to call me WICHIE!! Pronounced like WIGGIE, lol. A Dutch equivalent for "little sweet girl" ;)

My brother calls me SUSSIE, it's SISSY in Dutch

My BFF used to call me MAR, short for MARIAN and her mom always called me MAARTJE, same as Marian but a cuter way of saying it :)

My mom used to call me LIEFIE (sweety) I sometimes call my brother BROER (brother) or LIEFIE (sweety) lol

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  10:43:29 AM  Show Profile
My husband calls our son Ethan "Lizzard" because when he was little he was always flicking his tongue in and out. I call him "Sugar Ray". I started calling him "Sugar" and my husband told me I couldn't call a boy that so I changed it to "Sugar Ray." Then of course there is always the Eth (pronounced EEth) for short.

www.JustAnAllAmericanGirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  10:45:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh how funny. Nobody in my family ever gets called by their name. I had a boyfried in highschool that called me Woobie...like a nickname for your comfort blanket. It was embarrassing, especially when it got shortened to "woob". We would go to restaurants and stores, he would say "whaddya want Woob?" How attractive is that??? I called my hub "Muffin" which conjures up an image completely unlike the person my husband was. My poor son started daycare at age 3, coming home with "Mama, Jan keeps calling me Tristan, she doesnt know my name is Tritty Boop." I knew then that social services should come immediately and take my poor child who, at the age of 3 had absolutely no idea what his name was.

Dont even get me started about the pets. I have a scruffy little terrier, his name is Gimli, like the dwarf on LOTR. I have called him Pippi for the past two years. I have no idea why, he doesnt look anything like pippi longstocking. He is male...I dont know. I live in a bizarre little wonderland of my own creation I think.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Nicknames Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page