CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  2:31:39 PM  Show Profile
amie .. are you near skaneateles? if you are .. you MUST look up Cindy Petters who lives there! she reminds me in many ways of Tasha. a gentle spirit .. and oh so sweet!

xo

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  3:01:14 PM  Show Profile
I BELIEVE SHE IS STILL LIVING AND WOULD BE 90 OR 91 NOW.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  3:13:49 PM  Show Profile
She is wonderful and her life is so picturesque. I bought my corgi because of her - she is a doll baby named Elly Mae. I have my cockers because of author Gladys Taber who lived on a farm in Connecticut called Stillmeadow. Check her books out if you like farm life and really want to get lost in a book!
Be sure to check for books on Abebooks.com and Alibris.com. Tasha Tudor books are very collectable and some are worth quite a lot.
My friend in Iowa (where I bought my corgi) has a lot of corgis and reminds me very much of Tasha Tudor with all those little tailess dogs at her heels.
My little dog Elly Mae was featured in an issue of Faerie magazine, she has her wings on in that picture (her horns were hidden) lol!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  7:35:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kathy! I have a little corgi angel too! She is just the most loving comical little dog I have ever owned! Wish I could have a dozen!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  2:07:45 PM  Show Profile
If any of you fans are in the Vermont area, you'll want to check out this new exhibit at the Shelburne Museum:
www.shelburnemuseum.org/whats_on/new_exhibits_detail.php?id=10
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  3:06:23 PM  Show Profile
One of my favorite little books by Tasha Tudor (and Linda Allen) i got on e-bay .. paperback and the binding is all loos .. and yet, i still had to pay $45. for it! But i do love it so!

Tasha Tudor's Old-Fashioned Gifts ... Presents and Favors for All Occasions (1979)

It begins with a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson from GIFTS: "The only gift is a portion of thyself. Thou must bleed for me. Therefore the poet brings his poem; the shepherd, his lamb; the farm, corn; the miner, a gem; the sailor, coral and shells; the painter, his pictures; the girl, a handkerchief of her own sewing."

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  10:07:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh Frannie! I have that book in perfect condition-had no idea it was such a treasure! I started buying Ms. Tudor's books right before I had my first son, now 20. I always had the books in the nursery lining the shelves & windows. They were fun to look at while I nursed or rocked a babe to sleep.

Just ran to the basement to "rescue" this and a few other Tasha Books! I found her "Mother Goose" and a book about creation called "And It Was So"- especially delightful!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  10:51:42 AM  Show Profile
chile .. take good care of those books .. i don't know what 'real value' is on any of them .. but they most likely will go UP when she is gone. i might have just been desperate to have that little book .. and that was the 'going price' on e-bay when i lookd for it. wasn't sure i'd find another one anytime soon .. so i 'bit the bullet' and bought it!

isn't it dear. i have her Mother Goose book and several others she did and i thin i have ALL of them ABOUT her ... AND IT WAS SO .. oh tell us more about that one!

xo

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  11:45:52 AM  Show Profile
I was just looking on amazon used books, and this could be had for less then twenty. I might have to order one, I have four of her books, but have never seen OLD FASHIONED GIFTS.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  10:43:19 AM  Show Profile
Hello Tasha fans! Yes Frannie I know how it is to "bite the bullet" on eBay & just bid some unheard of price for something you really want! I did so a few weeks ago and won my auction for HALF of what I expected to pay! I was stunned, but thrilled!

The Old Fashion Gifts is a sweet book. I made several of the little items when my boys were small. I was very into quality toys and books for them. I stored all those things away for grandchildren one day. :)
We were fortunate to have the MOST wonderful toy store locally! It was housed in a big old victorian, two huge floors! The name of the store was "Spoil 'em Silly" and was our favorite place to visit for many years! This store had a big 'ol dollhouse, a train- all set up, art supplies, games, beautiful stuffed toys & dolls, and BOOKS I'd never seen anywhere else! The best part was that the owner ENCOURAGED us to play with those things! It stayed in business long enough for my kids to grow up, but those poor unfortunates who missed a trip to be "Spoiled Silly"! LOL

"And It Was So" is a dear little book that follows the Genesis story of creation. It starts with "In the beginning..." and goes through God's creation of the world. There are (of course) the most wonderful drawings of children & family life throughout. The later pages cover nature themes and "God made everything beautiful in it's time", later Ms. Tudor uses scripture about God's love for us. The book ends with the words "I love you, Oh Lord, and sing praises to your name." This is, IMHO, one of her most lovely books. I would certainly recommend looking around for a copy.

Thanks to my MIL, I do have most (maybe all?) of the books about Ms. Tudor. The photos are so beautiful, as are her gardens. Tasha's face & slight frame look so very much like my maternal Grandmother-even the layers of dress & apron are the same, also the little kerchief she wears on her head. My granny too, was a gardener and loved children. I admire both women-who look so unassuming-for their energy and stick-to-it-ness. I think this is what endears Ms. Tudor to me so very much.
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  10:45:54 AM  Show Profile
PS. Nancy I DO have the cookbook (thanks to MIL), it is wonderful as well! I'm sure you can still get it somewhere! Amazon?
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  12:27:15 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda,
I have the cookbook, I would like THE OLD FASHIONED GIFTS, I might just have to pay more then I want for it. Hey Rhonda, lots of garage sales comming up in my area this weekend, can't wait.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  12:51:43 PM  Show Profile
I just ordered the TASHA TUDOR'S OLD FASHIONED GIFTS, from alibris used books. It was 11.95. That is best price I have seen for it so far. OH BOY!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  3:27:44 PM  Show Profile
Tasha is 91 y/old, she will be 92 in August, on the 28th. I adore her so much. I have a few of her books and I love her life so much. I was supposed to go to one of her gatherings a few years back but had surgery.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic TASHA TUDOR Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page