Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  1:23:10 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to say again as I did in a post a while back how much I liked this book. THE SECRET LIFE OF TASHA TUDOR. Loved the pictures and the way it was written. I may get another of her books, she has a cookbook that looks interesting, do any of you have that?
NANCY JO

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  1:50:09 PM  Show Profile
Is this a real person's (i.e. the author?) name, or is this fictional?

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  1:56:41 PM  Show Profile
I have the Tasha Tudor cookbook (real person Patti) and it is great. I have had it for years..really a pretty book as well as good recipes..I really recomend it!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  2:17:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jenny, I may have to go to amazon and order it like right away.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  2:23:29 PM  Show Profile
OK, I ORDERED IT, LET YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK, BUT I THINK I'AM going to like it!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  11:17:34 AM  Show Profile
Please do! I love Tasha Tudor. She is my role model.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  4:44:57 PM  Show Profile
I had a whole selection of books about Tasha Tudor checked out of the library this winter. Nancy, I think the book you referred to at the top is "The Private World of Tasha Tudor" by Richard Brown? There are also "Tasha Tudor's Garden" and "Tasha Tudor's Heirloom Crafts" by the same photographer with writer Tovah Martin. "The Art of Tasha Tudor" by Harry Davis deals more with her career as an illustrator and contains a lot more of her artwork. I haven't tried the cookbook (mainly because my public library doesn't carry it!)
In case anyone reading this is unfamiliar with Tasha Tudor, she's a well known children's book illustrator who has lived her whole adult life as though it's the 1830s (that's her stated goal). She raised her kids as a single mother with no electricity or running water. She's in her 90s now and lives in Vermont, where she practices all kinds of traditional handiwork, raises goats and chickens, and tends to a spectacular cottage garden. Her illustrations draw heavily from her life. Hope this sparks a few people's interest!
Her family has a website where you can order all the books, among other things. www.tashatudorandfamily.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  5:14:41 PM  Show Profile
There is also a book called "Out Of New England" about her life too...I have all the books above..love to read about her. What an inspiration she is!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  7:56:26 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone seen either of the video's that is on the Tasha Tudor website?

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  05:26:50 AM  Show Profile
JENNY
Couldn't find OUT OF NEW ENGLAND on amazon, is that the exact title, unless this is a childrens book? I did see a children's book about new england. yes she is fun to read about, would love to go inside her house and barns!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  06:05:19 AM  Show Profile
There is a book called "Drawn From New England" by Bethany Tudor, about growing up in Tasha's family. Maybe this is the one you're looking for, Nancy Jo.

I haven't seen either of the videos but I just checked and found that they are in my public library system. I'll watch them and find out if they're any good. Having read the books that quote Tasha Tudor extensively, I would love to hear her talking in person (or on tape!)

Can I just say, I love my library system. There have been a lot of budget woes in recent years but it's a great resource still.

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  06:30:16 AM  Show Profile
Annie,
Thanks for the info, let me know for sure if you see the videos. Yes the library systems have taken a big hit almost everywhere, how about more money spent on librarys and less on sporting events, of course that is a matter that would turn into a big fight!
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  06:59:47 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo, it's too true. My local branch library has had to cut it's hours way back in the last few years, but the city is putting millions of dollars into a new second sports stadium (so that the soccer team doesn't have to share with the baseball team in THEIR new stadium). Kinda makes you wonder where our priorities are...'Nuff said, though. Don't want to get too far off the Tasha Tudor track. I'll try to get the videos over the weekend, so look for my take on them next week!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  11:59:12 AM  Show Profile
Duh..Drawn from New England is the one I meant. Sorry.
I would love to see the videos or hear the audio tapes too. I know there was an audio tape called "Take Joy". (but knowing me it could be close but something like it) I searched ebay for awhile hoping to get the audio or video tape with no luck. CAn't wait to hear what ou think of them Amie. I wish my library could get them. WE are a real small town without much like that. I can ask if they can get them somehow though.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  4:49:12 PM  Show Profile
I have listened to the audio tapes a couple of times. It is really wonderful. It is just her talking, no other voices. Her voice surprised me. I guess I was expecting something else, she has a very soft, gentle voice, witha bit of a high pitch. Very enduring.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  08:28:08 AM  Show Profile
I got the two videos from the library and watched them this weekend. They are both short, about 1/2 hour. "Take Joy" is just generally about Tasha Tudor's way of life, "Take Peace" is about her Christmas traditions. They were filmed around the same time the Brown and Martin books about her came out (mid 90s), and they show essentially the same stuff - the garden, the kitchen, the barn.

I enjoyed seeing Tasha Tudor in action, just getting a sense of her voice and mannerisms. She's very witty, in a low key way. Her description of the scandalalous living arrangement in the dollhouse ("Take Joy") cracked me up! As Julia says, she has a very soft, gentle voice. She has that accent, also, that I associate with well-bred old fashioned Yankees. It's almost English (like Haley Mills in the old Disney movies).

On a critical note, the videos are put together rather cheaply, and the narrator tends to gush, especially in the Christmas tape. But the footage of Tasha and her home, which is the core of the matter, is excellent. It's the books brought to life. The filmakers like to cut from the actual house to the same scene in the dollhouse or one of Tasha's illustrations, which is a lot of fun.

My personal favorite moment is the brief glimpse of Tasha Tudor, in her cap and print dress, driving what looks like an old pickup or suburban. I just love the juxtaposition of modern and old-fashioned that make up her reality. I have worked at a couple of living history museums, one where I wore costume and one where I worked in my own clothes, and I loved moments like this.

Bottom line? Not the greatest documentaries ever, but I'm glad I got to see them.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  09:27:16 AM  Show Profile
Now I just might have to go see if my library has these tapes, I would love to hear her voice and see her in motion. thanks so much for the update annie. I ordered her cookbook, waiting for that to come. Wouldn't it be nice if while garage saleing this summer I came across some of her books? Love it when good stuff like that happens.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  1:01:22 PM  Show Profile
thanks for the info on the Videos, Amie. I just saw that our library has them, so I plan to order them.

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  10:44:36 AM  Show Profile
I was SO excited to find a boxed set of small books by Ms. Tudor at the thrift store today! They were from 1981-with some illustrations from the 50's. Interesting to see how her illustrations have changed a over the years. There was a book of prayers, a book of graces, and a book of more prayers-with a gratitude theme. They are so sweet & the illustrations are just lovely! Such a find made my day!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  10:59:30 AM  Show Profile
Wow luckey you Rhonda, better check those out someplace, they may be worth something, I know some of the older Tasha things are.
I just ordered her garden book and craft book, I have the cookbook and the private world of Tasha, but nothing like what you found.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2006 :  10:50:19 PM  Show Profile
Awwww Nancy Jo, I never part with anything! God Bless the person/s who have to sort through all my junk when I'm gone! LOL I laid in bed last night & read through all three books. They sure gave me pleasure. I decided to put them on a shelf above my work table where I keep things for inspiration in my little studio. The small size make them just right for that spot!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  03:46:27 AM  Show Profile
The clothesline book.
Didn't know where to put this, but it is a book. Floralsaucer, farmgirl,but this info under the "using a clotheline section", I checked it out and ordered the book used on Amazon for less then two dollars plus shipping. On Amazon you can look inside the book, and it looked like the kind of thing we would all love to have. So Thankyou Floralsaucer.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  4:36:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh, you guys are such kindred spirits! I just can't believe that I've been re-reading Tasha Tudor books (Craft, Garden, and I have the cookbook), and somehow never found a thread about her, and thought I'd start one. She is one of my heroines... The pictures of her with her corgyn, goats and various birds... and,I love her dresses and her aprons!!! Several years ago I tried to grow some of her New England flowers here in Humid land... and of course, determination did not pay off, but I did learn a lot... like "planting zone" needs to cover heat and not just level of cold. I hear Tasha is now 90. She is so small and always has been incredibly strong physically. Bet she hasn't had any osteoporosis. Wish I'd "met" her 30 years ago.

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  1:30:00 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you used the cookbook? I don't have access to it through my library, and I'm wondering whether it would be useful to me.

Can anyone tell me: Are the recipes specific to woodstove cooking or have they been adapted? And do they give a lot of historical detail on the origen/age of the recipe? I'm a vegetarian, so I'm not expecting to be able to use most of the "main course" recipes. Are there enough baking recipes that I should get it anyway?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  2:11:41 PM  Show Profile
Annie
Go on amazon and type in tasha tudor, her cookbook will come up, then you can look inside the cookbook. plus they give reveiws, etc.
I have the book, and wood stoves are not part of the cooking.she tells about where the recipes came from, and the drawing in the book are very charming.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  2:29:37 PM  Show Profile
has anyone heard .. is TASHA still living? i think she is about older than dirt .. and i heard several years ago .. she stopped making 'appearances'. lordy! wish i'd met her when i had the chance to! xo

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic TASHA TUDOR Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page