Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  06:25:46 AM  Show Profile
My aunt is giving me two HUGE bags of scrap material. She has been quilting for years, but everytime she starts a new project she buys new material for that project, so poor me is getting all this material. HA!
Anyway, I want to cut some of it into strips and roll it.The question is , do I hem all the raw edges, and do I sew the strips together or tie them.
NANCY JO

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  07:47:27 AM  Show Profile
Hay Little Missy Nancy!!! Well girl.......I have a whole bowl full of antique fabric balls. For these the fabric has been torn and stitched together with just a couple of handstitches. All the edges where just left torn...looks real cool with the tattered edges. Oh....most of them where done in certain colors as well. But I like the ones that are all mixed colors. :o)
Have fun girl...rollin' balls is SO soothin'. It's one of those things where you can just let your mind wonder....love that!! :o)

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

http://www.rustypinsandoldlace.com/
'Antiques & HandMades for your heart and your home.'
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  11:04:05 AM  Show Profile
THANKS RUSTY PAULA, WILL GIVE IT A TRY WHEN I PICK UP THE MATERIAL. I THINK IT LOOKS NICE JUST IN A BASKET ROLLED UP, SAVES ME ALL THE TROUBLE OF MAKING A RUG!! Any pieces that are mostly red I will turn into yo yo's. I want to make a quilt for the {strangers room} as frannie calls it, and want it to be mostly red. IF A QUILT DOESN'T WORK OUT, THEN A YO YO SQUARE FOR UNDER A LAMP WOULD BE NICE. HA.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  1:13:49 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Nancy!

I bet some of those scraps could be used for the Mail Art that you and I recently joined!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  1:17:35 PM  Show Profile
Good idea Catherine, so much to do, so many ideas, life is NOT boring.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  9:41:12 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
I have never heard of fabric rolls/balls!. They sound so wonderful! i I didnt quite get how you make them in Paula's post. Does anyone have directions on how to make these? Or pictures?

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  12:38:36 AM  Show Profile
LEAH
If you have left over material cut it into strips, I like it to be an inch or so wide, then tie or sew the ends together and start rolling it into a ball. I have used a big crochet hook and made some cute little rugs, which is why I like the width to be about an inch or so, anything wider isn't easy to crochet. But there are other ways, like braiding the strips. Anyway the rolled balls look pretty sitting in a basket.paula says she doesn't bother with the raw edge when she rolls the strips, it would be a lot of work to hem them all.
In fact is you just go to paula's site, its up above [ RUSTY PINS] click on home decor, go to page six, she shows her fabric balls. I like to order stuff from Paula, I have an order coming now can't wait for it to get here!!
Hope this explains it some for you.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  08:04:04 AM  Show Profile
You can knit with the fabric once you cut it and put it into balls....get real big needles!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  09:05:11 AM  Show Profile
Good idea Rebekka, will put that on my list, I have some big needles too.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  4:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Thanks Nancy!! Im so excited to make these now!! and then maybe later ill get around to making a rug!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  10:03:21 AM  Show Profile
Here's a nice how to for making a braided/woven rug from fabric strips.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1986_July_August/Grandma_s_Four_Strand_Braided_Rug

I'm working on one and it really looks nice. Could make a copy of the directions so that you'd have them when you're ready to work on one.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  10:24:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Chis,
I'll print it off.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

grammazena
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

IA
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  9:49:55 PM  Show Profile
I remember that pattern from Mother Earth News. I used it to braid a rug from denim. That was one very sturdy rug..and so heavy..I did not make it very large. Excellent directions. We tore lots of strips of fabric for my grandma's rugs. I don't remember her ever hemming edges, it was more of hand-folding the edges into the braid.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  05:59:17 AM  Show Profile
I don't know if I should attempt a big rug, for my own safety, I'am only 5 ft tall, Richard will come home and find me under the rug unable to get up. But I will make some smaller ones. Who knows how many pioneer women we lost this way.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  07:52:12 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, if you know how to crochet, that is probably one of the fastest ways to make a rug from fabric scraps...no cutting, just tear strips, no sewing, just cut slits at the ends of the fabric and join by pulling the strips through and just one stitch, single crochet. I made a good sized round rag rug for myself and then one for a friend for Christmas...it goes quick.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  09:47:59 AM  Show Profile
Jan
Thanks for the joining of the strips idea, I had never heard of that method.I was planning on tieing the strips together with small knots. Yes I can crochet, so that would be the best way for me to do a rug. Thanks again for the help.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

grammazena
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

IA
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  2:16:29 PM  Show Profile
Owwlady, slits in the strips sounds like a great idea. I had to chuckle, Nancy, at picturing you trapped under your rug! I am 5 ft. also. My husband's grandma gave us a huge quilt made of heavy, mens suiting fabric. It has a wool backing and heavy batting. Our kids said why bother to pay a babysitter when we could just throw the quilt over them, and they couldn't move a muscle. lol
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  2:34:41 PM  Show Profile
grammazena
yea, those handi works can get pretty heavy, just keep that heavy quilt of yours around in case you need to keep someone down for awhile!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  10:40:13 PM  Show Profile
Nancy,
Here's a courple pictures I took of my braided rug....the swirl effect is from the strands being different colors. I could have made the strands of fabric all the same color and gone around the outside of the rug, then changed to a different color and go around again, etc. Use whatever color combos you like. The strips are about 5' long, when its braided/weaved the strips get shorter, and when a strip gets to about 10" long, I sew on another strip.

Edited by - OregonGal on Mar 25 2006 10:46:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2006 :  07:38:51 AM  Show Profile
Chris,
What a beautiful rug, so perfect looking. I don't think mine will ever look that nice, you are very talented. Just got back from my aunts today with lots, and lots and lots of material, going to go and sort through it all and see what I can do with it. thank you so much for taking the time to post your rug, love seeing it!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  1:59:43 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
if people want to use wool you can buy mill ends to make rugs usually you can't pick colors but at 1.25 or so a pound who cares you can buy enough cheeply to fined the colors you want or do a coat of many colors rug plus you will have spare to do wool quilts and the like folk style stuff

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Apr 28 2006 09:30:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  7:39:42 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
to oregan gal
I have wanted to make a 10 plaited braid yours in the picture is a 6 plaite braid I read your link I understand how you get to 4 but how do you get to your 6 or the 10 I want to do

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Apr 28 2006 09:30:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

grammazena
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

IA
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  9:26:50 PM  Show Profile
This rug is just beautiful! I can almost feel the braid.
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  11:27:20 AM  Show Profile
Wendy,
I added another strip every time I went around - I added a strip after I got around the top, just starting to come down a side. Other wise, I would think, you could add them all at the beginning, where the directions call for adding the fourth stip, you could add more of them. You notice in the closeup picture of the strips, the green one went over the last strip so when I wove it into the rug I went under the rug loop, but when I was doing 5 strips, I went under the last strip, so when I wove it into the rug I went over the rug loop. Now, I don't know if thats important, I think so, look at it when you do it and see what it looks like, but it was just something I did - perhaps the rug should be done in even numbers of strips. I had no idea of how to do it, I just blindly started and fumbled along trying to follow the directions til it started making more sense - especially going around the curved parts and either adding (increasing) or subtracting (decreasing) loops - it just depends on how the rug lays - if it puckers, then you'd have to decrease (probably caused from increasing too many) or if it cups, then you have to increase. My rule of thumb has become the length of the loop (the edge that you weave into), if the loops start becoming longer, its time to increase by one loop....and that usually happens at the round part of the ends of the rug. Hope that helps. My next rug will be smaller, and I'm going to use just one color per each round, then do another color - its simple enought to cut off one color to start another - probably pastels. I have my sewing machine on the floor on a flat dolly so when I need to sew on another stip, I just wheel the dolly over and bend the edge of the rug up and sew on a strip.

Thank you grammazena - its like sittin in front of a fire, its pleasant and warming to look at.

Edited by - OregonGal on Mar 31 2006 11:30:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  12:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
thank you

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Apr 28 2006 09:30:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2006 :  12:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
to nancy about the slit in the strips to attach them this is fine if you don't mind ruff edges. If when you are crocheting you turn in all you ruff rug edges this won't work. If you are doing the shabby chic thing with how ever the fabric works its way in right side out//inside out/ ruff side and string showing then that type of attaching the fabric together works lovely. If you want your edges to have a more finished look then you turn in all your raw edges and sew them together not tye or slit. It all just depends on the desired finished look.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Apr 28 2006 09:30:58 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic LOTS of material Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page