countrygal56
True Blue Farmgirl

221 Posts

Barbara
Dickson Tennessee
USA
221 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  8:03:37 PM  Show Profile
I tend to try different names on our pets too. I really do believe we try their names until they "choose one" they like. Our Pomeranian chose her name, she wouldn't come to us, until we named her Hanna. I'm not kidding. She hated "Muffin", she would turn her back to us and she was only a puppy then. She passed away last October and we still miss here.

Our Lucky Dog, is from the Animal Shelter, she already had that name, but it really fits her. She is part Beagle and Blue Tic Heeler, and very smart. We have had Lucky Dog for three years. Our puppy Doxie is Molly (my husband calls her the "Unsinkable Molly Brown", our last name is not Brown though. We have our Mama Cat, our male cat Rascal, Then three kittens, one I named Goldie, the other two girls are nameless. Not sure why I haven't named them. Our horses are Lexy and Willy-they came to our home already named by their former owner, and they both are 9 years old, they are like an married couple, with Lexy wearing the pants in the family. She bosses poor Willy around all day, every day. LOL.

Barb

http://barbaralucore.etsy.com
http://beedangledcreations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  11:35:17 AM  Show Profile
I have 3...Buddy he is a 14yr old cocker, Mack (I found him at a truck stop) he is 2 and half shar pa, half lab...and then there is Gracie...and she got her name because it ws by the grace of God she is alive. If we didnt get her she would have been dead in a couple of days. She is part shepard and part hound. They are loving dogs and we call them our children.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  12:12:15 PM  Show Profile
we had trends. dogs got people names: travis, gunther, maggie, ashley, baron, abigail, jr, daphne, dottie, samuel... the list just never ends :)
and cats were random: mcGregor, Hobie Cat (after the Hobie Cat catamarans), Fred, Mr Mew, Mulligan, Meegan.
parrots were muppets characters: kermit, gonzo and fozzy.
Horses are also all over the place: frencles, sundance, peaches, lucky, amber, pumpkin, bitsy, mortemer (aka short mort the mini donkey), fabio (this beautiful white arab we rescued), raz ma taz, patsy, clancy, tuffy, this list goes forever too.
rabbits we named after pastries and candy: muffin, cup cake, butterscotch, cocoa
pygmie goats were dudley do right of the mounties and boris and natasha

I grew up with a TON of animals
and i have at the moment is ambrose the kitchen spider plant and el conquistador the beta fish.

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  09:27:25 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I always thought that pumpkin and spice were cute names.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  8:09:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi...
Okay.. I am not the best at naming pets, but here goes.
I have bred and shown saint bernards for 18 yrs. We usually go by the alphabet like they do in Germany.
My breeder will pick names of books and characters etc. she is VERY good at naming saints.

Here goes:
Babs, EEESHA ( she was a clan pupy from clan of the cave bear)
treee, beanie, they were suppose to be Evora, Enough is Enough and EEEclipes.

My B litter goes something like this. Boodle (butterfly kiss)
Shoogie ( brown sugar) Buster Bunny, Blue ( blue moon)
Reddog (Biggie Red) And Zee ( Bizzaro. he has a black strip down his nose as a mismark, but he is a great dog.)
Igor came to us named after a Putting on the Ritz Party the breede had. He was called Man of the Hour. Igor's brother was Ritz.

My dorky C litter is Coola (cuppcake after my vet Dr. Cupp)
Cooper, Cruiser, Cracker which changed to Carson.

Jaquith , Gemini, Taurus, Aries, Broud, Ayla, Berkut, Bruton, Maor sounds like may-or, Ogar just to name of few of the dogs from the past.
Titan was a great dog and name too.
One breeder went with drinking names like Martini, ETC.

Hope this gets your imagination going and you can find the right name for the right baby.
My farmer friend is not very imaginative when naming calves, so I have stepped in.
Denali, Peanut, Demetri, his May line bred calves are Mayce, Maybel, Mayday, Maywin, maybeline, Maybe, Maylee, Mayjor, March, Maymie,
His G line is something like Glitter, Glamour, Glee and Gem.
Also Jam and Jelly. Rember these are Registered Brown Swiss Dairy cattle that show.. So sometimes they say their name in the ring.. LOLOL A big cow names Kuddles, Kleona, Kozy, Koat, Keepsake.
Bulls are easier to name, Lazer, Sargent, Prophet, Broker,
Starsky, Starbuck, Denmark, Pete Rose, Rythum, Legacy, Wonderment,
Camelot, Zeus, Elevation, Slye, Beamer, Europa, Engergy and Mario. These are all prominent bulls for today's dairy breeding herds.

Okay.. I should have stopped a long time ago.
Oh yes.. I once milked a cow named Peggy and her calf was Caviar. I was 8 yrs old and won't ever forget that one.. LOL Oh yes their fav chicken was named pickle.

WENDE

You know your a Farm Girl when...
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  08:43:48 AM  Show Profile
We have fun naming our cows! Our "matriarch" cow is named "Bailey's & Cream". Male offspring get names that help us remember where they will eventually end up. We have had Big Mac, Meatball, T-Bone, and Angus. The bull was aptly named Romeo. The girls get names like Liberty, Justice, Freedom, and Stella (just because we liked to holler for her!). Our horse was named Old Man because he had a leg condition and only 1 eye. Our turkey were called Thanksgiving and Christmas, for obvious reasons! We have a Beagle named Maisie Lou, and chocolate lab/huskie named Molly Mahoney, and cats named Murphy, Milo, and Maverick. My fish is Woodstock and we have 2 algae eaters named Kirby and Hoover. The hamster is Jelly Bean. As for the chickens, we used to name them all, but I just call them "My Girls" and the happy little rooster is "Frisky Biscuit".

http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

OzarkFarmGirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Pam
Annapolis MO
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  6:34:55 PM  Show Profile
Maggie - Naming our animals is one of my favorite things to do, in fact my family starts to run the other way when I get out the sheets of paper and run the names by them....I always pick a new theme for the year for all the animals. This year was "Baked Goods" - so we have calves with names like Biscotti and Gingerbread, and goats with names like Peanut Butter, Cinnamon (Roll), Pumpkin (Bars), and the list goes on and on. We've done historical names in the past and two of our bucks are named Lewis and Clark...the theme helps me know which year they were born. I have a neighbor who has been doing this for 24 years and is still coming up with new themes. This year hers was Old Fashioned Candy - Bit-O-Honey, Mary Jane, Pixie Sticks....have fun with the names, I know I do.

Keep It Simple!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  11:35:57 AM  Show Profile
I named my first cat Henry Dragon. I swear he thought he was a dragon.!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  1:03:07 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly, your animal names have got me in stitches!! That is soooo funny!

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  1:15:26 PM  Show Profile
Heather Ann, I have named plants from time to time and so has my sister. I had a pineapple plant named Morris and a peach colored rose bush named Herbert.

My sister buys a Fushia plant every year and names it Fin. I have no idea why.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  09:27:44 AM  Show Profile
Sarah,
I get naming plants from my mom. We had Fred and Ethel, which were two huge pots of smallish bamboo in our extremely 80's patio. It was the 80's, so it worked well, the bamboo that is. And we had Lucy and Ricky two, but whatever they were, they died. My mom still has Ethel, she sits outside now next to the pool. The rest are all gone. Which is funny because the gal that played Ethel was by far the youngest character on the show!

Naming is soooo much fun. My father in law has named his four resident squirrels. There's Sammy Squirrel, Sally Squirrel, one other 's' name I can't remember and Luda Mae Squirrel. He just says the names to himself anytime any of them come around. He's a silly man. And my mother is currently a dog foster mom and has between 20 and 30 dogs in her house at all times and she is responsible for naming them. But she sure is having fun! Everyone's favorite is Ivan, a HUGE scottish wolf hound mix that dances on his hind legs for a treat while towering over my little parents who are both under 5'7 ! :)

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  11:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you all so much for your help! The names are all so funny and cute. I'll keep you all posted when they have there babies and what I name them. so don't be suprised if this topic comes back to life in early May!!! Thanks again!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

kwyrick65
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Karla
Winslow AZ
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  5:02:22 PM  Show Profile
I have two dogs, Barret, a golden lab, his brothers name is Grinnin ( Grin and Barret)LOL and then there is Gidgette, (short Gidgey)she is a border collie. It looks like we are adopting a puppy from my son, he looks like a teddy bear, so I think teddy will be good!

I sure love my dogs, don't know what I would do with out them now that my boys have all left the nest!
Karla

Good luck finding names!

:)
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  4:26:22 PM  Show Profile
While we don't have any pets right now, we have had a few over time. A dog named Missy (oddly enough, I was named after the dog), cats - Mindy (of Mork and Mindy), Nutmeg, Sage, Mama (which became Mama Boy after an interesting discovery - it was a stray with kittens, so we assumed it was a girl) and Snookums, a rat - Dottie, two hamsters-Cuddles and Mr. Burns (because he was always washing his hands so he would sit on his haunches and rub them together in front of his chest like Mr. Burns from the Simpsons when he says "excellent") tons of fish with very unique names like Goldie, Red, Orange, Fish, Bubbles and Gill and a Ferret named Nolan. I think that's all. Oh, we also got a dog and named her Bella, but then figured out that my DD was allergic to the pup, so we gave her to my Brother who renamed her Ember (he's a firefighter and said he couldn't live it down if the guys heard him calling the dog Bella). And we did have a pet Horny Toad we named Spike. Okay, now I'm pretty sure that's it.

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Or go without!
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  4:43:51 PM  Show Profile
... I had a goose that adopted me that I named Silly Goose! I gave him to a friend who had a farm and Chinese Geese... which Silly Goose is! He is the proudest among the flock of the girls!

Now, Silly goose would not be fitting for a goat! (giggle)
I had a beagle named Quiggly, she was a girl and now I have Abigail, who is my (child)beagle now.

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766
(29 Sept 2009)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic good pet names. Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page