Page: of 2

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  10:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
What are some of your favorite pet names? I just asking because I will have baby goats early next year and would like to find some names. Is it weird that I'm already thinking of names when there not even born yet???? lol....
Maggie

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  10:40:35 AM  Show Profile
I name my pets really odd stuff. As a kid we had a beloved cat named "Snig." Other pets we had were "Googa", "Butter", "Bumper", and "Little Scissors". My husband's cousin has a cat named "Cheddar." I love that.
We took in a dog recently I named "Crumpet", and she had puppies. My sister called one "Bon Qui Qui", from the MAD TV character. That dog and all her puppies found a new home, though.
Right now my pets are "Sebastian", "Cosette", "Brutus", and "Splat". That doesn't include all the horses............

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bevb
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Bev
Moscow ID
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  12:40:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh dear - one of my favorite topics!

My kids have always had fun with pet names. Right now we have five cats - and their names fit their personalities. Van Gogh, Belle, Mufasa, Brat & Cadpig.

We've had the usual down through the years - Princess, Fat Boy, Whitey. And some odd ones - Simone, Grandpa, Welfare Mom, Jet Plane.

But my favorite was a bug-eyed goldfish we named Google.
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  1:59:13 PM  Show Profile
We have a Boomer and a Sophie. (dogs) But have had a Mac, Xochi (so-she), and Yeager. For my Boomer I voted for Jessie-Bear-Two-Toes (for his two white toes on every black paw) but was vetoed. Boomer was such cutie-pie name when he was only about 8 pounds...now he's 95 pounds and it really fits him!

Here's a cute name I just heard in an audio book... Pork Pie! (happened to be for a Pegasus...)
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  2:56:38 PM  Show Profile
We currently have a dog, Rilo; Cats- Meredith, Wednesday, Baby Jude, Gussie and Tobias. Our hens are Hazel, Flora, Mavis and Pearl.
Not too original but we love them. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  3:30:41 PM  Show Profile
We don't really name our cats or chickens. We just say yellow mamma, 4 yellow kittens and yellow kitty with white feet, guess his name is boots, gray mamma, Tom. Then there is just chickens, old and young. Once I get some body named, they dissapear or get run over. So we don't name anyone.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  4:34:24 PM  Show Profile
My favorite pet name of the animals I've had is Dewdrop, a mini-rex rabbit. There was also Corky, a guinea pig and Peepers, a parakeet. when I worked at a petting zoo we had a goat named Tag (GReek for goat).
My best friend has a dog named Snuggles and my brother's family recently got a dog named Peyton. I also had a ring-necked parakeet named Addie.Boxer got his name cause I was going to name him McTavish, but I kept saying MacIntosh, and I didn't want people to think my dog was named after a computer. so he became Boxer. If I had a goat I think I'd call it Stumpy cause it'd be dehorned.

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  01:34:16 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm...I tend to name animals based on themes--flower names for girls, weedy names for boys, or famous nature names--explorers or wilderness people, writers, poets, and that sort of thing. Hope that helps!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And *NEW* Blogs:
Life: www.wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com
art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com
Plan to save America the old fashioned way!
http://wildatheartfarm.blogspot.com/2009/05/big-project.html
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  08:17:59 AM  Show Profile
I go with what fits at the moment. Our border collie mix we got from the shelter is Spirit, it really fits him. Our puppy beagle, husky, shepherd mix is Penny Lane, cause I like the Beatles and had just recently heard a song. We do just call her Penny.
Will let you know about sheep once I start having them. The 4 I am getting are already named, Samson, Sally, Billy and Nellie. My grandson named them and loves naming animals.
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

donna rae
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Donna Rae
Virginia Beach VA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  5:34:41 PM  Show Profile
I really like to give people names to the furry ones in my life. Our new puppy, a mix of Carolina dog (American dingo) and Australian cattle dog, is a deep and gorgeous shade of red. We named her Scarlett.

Donna Rae
Farmgirl Sister # 593
Colonial Farm Girls
Williamsburg, VA
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  6:03:29 PM  Show Profile
I have always wanted to name a big ole goofy male Great Dane "Haskell" after Eddie Haskell from Leave it to Beaver, & on the opposite end, name a big confident Dane "Sinatra" (with registered name"Chairman of the Board") My last big ole droopy jawed & droopy eyed Dane was Nixon, registered name "Unimpeachable"
My girl dogs all have people type names..Emily, Betsy, Gabby, Tessa, Steffi etc..
Goats are Lotty & Lucy
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  6:15:48 PM  Show Profile
i just see what fits them best. our last cat that walked into our yard ended up being sammy. but that was after two weeks and two dozen names. some just didnt fit him. i know it sounds stupid but sometimes with pets it feels more like you are trying to guess their name then give them one

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  8:26:30 PM  Show Profile
We have lots. Four Great Danes, Zoose the Moose, Kira, Layla and Aries. Labrador - Robert Bailey, Border collie mix - Zoe, Chichuachua/Schnauzer mix, - Meghan, Poodle - JoeJoe, Cats - Tristan, Jasmine, Mab, Sierra, MoJo, Gypsy, The Barbarian and Romo. Parrots - Kiwi, Rosie and Basil, Ferrets - Thistle, Cosmo, Gwen, Pogo and Draco. Hedgehogs - Harriet and Eddie. Horses - Faran Issoba, Colonel Montgomery Dunbar and Miss Matched Sox.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  8:36:31 PM  Show Profile
Beth I'm coming to live with you

Karen ^_^

http://apple-and-eve.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  8:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I'm coming to live with you too Beth. Make Room!!! lol.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  9:33:00 PM  Show Profile
Blondie and Bess. They were belgian draft horses. Not sure if it was my grandfather or his father who used them, but everyone talks about those two horses. Like family members. How odd is it to pass those things down? Good names.

Best dog names: Fang. Murphy. Cats: Monty (Montague and Montressor), Rosie, Tsunami, Booger, Heinous. Horses I've named for myself had a theme, like Halo (before some video game took that title and it was still angelic) and Almucantar (an imaginary planar circle in the heavens used to guide you to a certain place on earth). Other horses came already named, and it just doesn't feel right changing someone's name, you know?

Best advice is to take your time. Their personalities will lead the way. Something will come to you.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2009 :  9:41:20 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I know, i just wanted to have some ideas.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  08:28:49 AM  Show Profile
We use to have a pair of Belgian Draft horses named Blondie and Dagwood. And my friend has a labrador/rodisian ridgeback named Booger. Working as the ranch manager at The Habitat I had to come up with alot of names. Our founder insisted that the horses had a new life so they had to have a new name. I agree with with Karen when she says that naming animals is more about guessing what their names are than giving them a name. When we got Zoe' she came with the name Twinkle. But for some reason every time I called her Zoe' came out of my mouth. No thought process it just came out. Then one morning my daughter walked through the kitchen and said Mom have you seen Zoe' and I stared at her and we both started to laugh and from then on Twinkle was Zoe. When The Colonel came into habitat one person wanted to name him Colonel, One lady wanted Montgomery and someone else wanted Dunbar. Ever since he has been Colonel Montgomery Dunbar which fits him perfectly. I think they tell you if you know how to listen.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  09:10:34 AM  Show Profile
That is so interesting! Booger started out as Asystile (term for flatline) but it just didn't suit him. We were still trying out names, and Booger just ...stuck. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  1:03:18 PM  Show Profile
Maggie,

I like Kinder (kin-der) not Kind-er, Bella, Colonel, Splash, Princess, Baby, Berry, Dutchess, Long ears, Butterscotch, Twinkle, Amber, Josefina, Kimble, Cuba, Amenia-(Amenia is a place in NY I think it's cute!), Pet, Patty, Jeans, and Emrald. Let me know which names you like that I listed!
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  1:10:53 PM  Show Profile
I have an entire herd of dogs and a trusty quarter horse steed. The dogs are - Noah, Rex, Carl, Boomer, Benji, Jack Jack and our most recent addition is Maggie. :) Most of them are golden retrievers. Boomer is the only one who came to us with a name already and as you can tell, we generally like to use regular people's names for our animals. My horse, as with all registered animals, came with the name Angel Jet Jordan. We refer to her as either Jordan or Miss J.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  10:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Yasmine, I love the names, splash, kinder, long ears, patty, amber, twinkle, and emrald. Thank you!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13645 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13645 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  5:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
"Bramble" is our dog . . . it's a Scottish term for blackberries (brambleberries). She has brindle markings on her nose that are dark . . . we tell people she's been eating blackberries and those marks are stains.

"Skye" is our cat . . . a tortoise shell calico. We call her our "plaid" cat and Skye is for the Isle of Skye of Scotland.

Can ya' tell?? We are of Scottish descent!!!

Llama is named "Rocky" . . .he came with that name.
Longhorns are "Peppermint Patty", "Pumpkin" (born during pumpkin season), "Snowflake" (born in December). Patty has a bull calf we named "Nougat" because of his "nuts, fruit and sugar" markings. Snowflake (who is a mostly white longhorn) has a heifer calf named "Ebony" . . .she is totally black (daddy was an Angus).

Those are CURRENT residents of our place . . . we've had many, MANY more!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  5:30:53 PM  Show Profile
Maggie,
Thank you very much! Most of the names are of our chickens! And Kinder is my friends horses name. He is a big grey draft horse!
Have fun with all the cute names! And let us know which name you pick when the time comes! Also Kinder means something that has to do with children!

Yasmine
Go to Top of Page

sanderfam
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Renae
MN
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  9:43:56 PM  Show Profile
We have a Scarlet as well (a golden retriever) and two cats, Merlin and Luna. Naming pets is almost as difficult as naming a child!!
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  10:06:59 PM  Show Profile
My pets have or had the names:
Zach
Sammy
Gracie
Crooked foot
Katie
Zeek but his name was Argyle first, then I decided I sounded crazy yelling for him out the backdoor XD

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic good pet names. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page