FL_farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  05:29:22 AM  Show Profile
OK, I did my due diligent search, and can't see where this was brought up elsewhere...if it was, someone please point me in that direction...looking through all these posts can be a little daunting.

This is my first year bringing up chicks from "scratch" (pardon the pun). They should begin laying any time now (some of their sisters who live w/ my MIL are already laying the cutest little eggs). I had to close their nest boxes up while they were growing because they would roost in them (hens, rooster and all). I have reopened the boxes, but now they won't go anywhere near them. I have tried to lay them in there to introduce them, but they just hop right out. Is this just because they aren't ready to lay, or did having the boxes covered discourage them from sitting in there? Will I find my eggs on the ground? If so, can I do anything to encourage them to use the boxes?

Probably a lot of worry over nothing, but like I said, I've always gotten hens that were already laying...

Thanks ladies :)
Jen

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  06:03:35 AM  Show Profile
Jen, I wouldn't worry about it yet. My hens only go in their nests when they are about to lay an egg. Just wait and see if they lay in their nests when they are old enough. If they don't at that time, I am sure you will gets lots of advice on what to do next. I bet they will lay in the nest. Be sure to keep some sort of bedding in the nest. I use straw.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  06:07:14 AM  Show Profile
Place a few golf balls in the nests. Your girls will think they are eggs and that will encourage them. We always have golf balls in our nests and the girls treat them like eggs. My poor broody hen though........she is going to hatch those things even if it kills her. Hopefully she will snap out of it soon.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

FL_farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  06:14:40 AM  Show Profile
lol...the golf ball thing is awesome! and sooo funny. I have hay in the nests. I'll chill a little... thanks ladies :P
Go to Top of Page

FL_farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  07:45:52 AM  Show Profile
OK, I put in some golf balls...(hopefully my husband won't miss them! :P)
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  10:07:43 AM  Show Profile
There is a golf course in Missouri, northern part, and several years ago a pair of Canadian geese deceided to nest there next to one of the water hazards. Nobody minded "til" every time their ball landed within 15 feet or so of the nest, the goose or gander would run out and grab the ball and put it in the nest, and treat it like an egg. They called fish and game, they couldn't or wouldn't do anything, and if anybody got to close, they were attacked. Finallt some one got the idea of fenceing them, did a wire fence with the netting used on driving ranges, left a gap in the back, ground level so the geese could come on go, when the goslings hatched, they trapped the whole family and moved them to a sanctuary til the goslings were old enough to fly, and they were all released.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  11:26:24 AM  Show Profile
Ah, that's so sweet of them to do that, Teresa. They are very mean when they are on a nest, though.

I have no idea where mine will lay when they start. It'll be an egg hunt everyday, I'm sure. That's what I have to do with the game hens. I never know where they will lay. And when I do find the nest, I'll take all but 1 and they'll lay a few more days then go on to another place.

I have found eggs in the strangest places. And hens setting on nests in the strangest places. Some scare me to death not expecting to see them.

I do hope they lay in the nesters for you. It's so much easier that way. I just wish they new that!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  2:52:46 PM  Show Profile
lillian, thanks for the golf ball idea! i think we can tell when a hen is new to laying because we find the new eggs in strange places. even found them in their food!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  08:20:37 AM  Show Profile
just wanted to say we put some golf balls in where we wanted the pullets to lay, so i'm excited to see how it works!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

FL_farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  5:28:29 PM  Show Profile
well, still no eggs, but should be soon. They are sitting in the nests now at night (why we closed up the boxes in the first place) but I'm not really worrying about that now.
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  07:45:38 AM  Show Profile
Hens like dark shadowy places to lay. So make sure those boxes are in the darkest corner. If you find an egg on the ground, remove it immediately or place it in the nest box so they know where to sit. They'll come around eventually. the thing you dont want is for them to peck at the egg laying in the food, or on the ground because once they get a taste of raw egg, its really hard to stop them from eating the rest of them! So make sure you collect at least twice a day! Good Luck!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~I'm rough & tough and I don't wear bloomers~ Nellie Braken 1887
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  09:38:36 AM  Show Profile
wow, i didn't know they'll eat their eggs if they get a taste! good to know... i usually check about 3 times a day. i'm not sure if the golf balls are helping... whenever i go in there, the laying hens (the bigger ones) are all sharing the area we want them to lay. but i am still finding some eggs in places i don't want them to lay. maybe the hens that are new at laying aren't getting the golf ball thing, that that's where it's safe to lay... we'll see!

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2009 :  03:19:03 AM  Show Profile
I'm goin' through the same thing watching and waiting for this past Spring's batch to start laying.

Once they start I ought to have tons of eggs to sell.

Meantime I keep checking and swear I'm gonna find a cache of eggs somewhere that stinks.

I may get some cozier nest boxes and buy some of those covered litter boxes. SOme of the older gals have started laying in the litter below the fixed boxes. Guess they are either too plump to fly up or the nests are occupied at the time.

Lemme know when you finally get some eggs and I'll keep and eye on mine here.

I do the golfball thing too. Pity for the wayward snake that tries to eat those!

It's like watching water boil.
Go to Top of Page

FL_farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  06:52:25 AM  Show Profile
lol...it is like watching water boil...I check several times a day, but my girls don't seem to be in a hurry. I lost one the other day to a new dog we adopted...of course it had to be a hen, and not the extra rooster we have in there. Needless to say, the dog has found a new home. I would have been a little more forgiving if the dog would have dropped her, but she clamped down even tighter when I tried to get the hen out of her mouth. Just when I thought she was over chasing the chickens.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  4:25:30 PM  Show Profile
Looks like one of the young hens is finally layng. Discovered one very small eggs buried in a lone nest box tonight.

Hopefully the others will start too
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  11:07:31 AM  Show Profile
I have found that my "girls" lay most of their eggs in one nest, for some reason. I have moved the nests around used fake plastic eggs and they still lay where they wanted. They wait or try to nest inthe same box. as soon as one lays & leaves up jumps another to use that nest.. go figure...I have three nests for 9 birds..and they do have a roosting bar for night time, That might eliminate the nighttime nesting for you Jen... I also have one hen that is pecking the eggs.. cannot figure out which one is doing it.. Help anyone? I need to Stop this habit quickly. I check the nests two -three times a day.. Find the pecked egg usually before 4 pm check and did get rid of one hen caught in the act as many eggs were pecked. I average 6 eggs aday right now that are not pecked... But I do have to check & retreive them often.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen
Be sure to check us out
http://www.Klamathfallscharmingchicks.blogspot.com and my personal
Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

FL_farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  10:03:39 AM  Show Profile
We do have several roosting bars, on different levels. They don't get in the nests as much now as they use to (at night). They like to all squash on the highest bar! It's so funny, one will try to turn around and several will fall off! I am getting soooo impatient for these eggs! We have been getting our eggs from hubby's parents, but I hate to take so many of their eggs when they have as big a family still at home as we do!
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  10:34:41 AM  Show Profile
At this point as long as I get eggs I'm not concerned where I find them. I've got 25+ laying age hens and am getting less than 5 eggs per day average. I've never had this happen before in over 20 years of having chickens. Talked to a couple other ladies here in my area and they are having a horrible egg year to, maybe it's been the weather this year. We go from really hot in the 100's to cooler days in the 80's, maybe their little systems are confused. I have given extra oyester shell mixed with the food before and it helped with the egg pecking but unfortunately I've usually had to get rid of the hen. I've been giving my girls dry catfood for extra protien but my new little girls took an extra long time to get started this year to. Good luck and I hope you are having omelets in no time, you are correct just like waiting for water to boil!

Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  04:35:41 AM  Show Profile
My girlfriend wants to get a few chickens but doesn't want to fence them in. She said she has seen places where the chickens run free, she lives in the country and wants to know how to keep them in the yard with out a fence. I told her the cat + dog don't have a fence and they never leave. Any suggestions?

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

OzarkFarmGirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Pam
Annapolis MO
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  6:11:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi - I'm new here and thought I'd jump in and let you know I too had the same problem with a lot of my hens. I finally had someone tell me to staple material over the opening of some of the next boxes since they like the darkness for laying. I tried it and so far it works. I won't say all the hens like it, but I find very few eggs on the floor, although I do have one hen that insists on laying her egg in a bucket - go figure!!! I have between 60-70 hens and I only have a few that just don't get it, so wait it out, they eventually find the nest boxes. Pam

Keep It Simple!
Go to Top of Page

FL_farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  5:41:38 PM  Show Profile
As far as keeping the hens in your yard, I wouldn't worry about that. They might wander a little, but generally they will come back at night to roost. I'm not sure how it works with complete free range(r)s, but mine always go back in their coop on their own in the evening...they even wander in the woods by my house during the day, so far that I can't see them. Just have your friend keep in mind that they are most vulnerable at night, so that's something to think about :)
Go to Top of Page

manitobaprairiegirl
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Loretta
St. Andrews Manitoba
Canada
1 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  6:08:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi, this is my first message on Farmgirl Connection. It's interesting to read how some things are different and some the same with regard to laying hens. I have 14 Black Sex Link hens and hoped to get a least a dozen eggs every day. No such luck! The last few days I've only gotten two per day and today there were none. Are they moulting or just poor layers? Hope someone has some answers for me, 'cause I'm not sure what's happening.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Where will they lay?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page