Page: of 6

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2008 :  3:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
I loved reading everyone's discovery of MaryJane. I used to work in a wonderful organic market, Roots Market, in Clarkesville, Maryland. One day I was assigned the job of taking out the old magazines and putting out the new magazines in the racks by the registers. I saw the MaryJane's Farm magazine, the Apron issue. It was the first time I had ever heard of MaryJane Butters. But I fell instantly in love with the magazine and bought my copy that day. I am a true farmgirl at heart, and MaryJane and her awesome magazine tugged on my heartstrings that day. Then I found this awesome website from reading the magazine.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  6:04:31 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Carol! So glad you discovered MaryJane's magazine and web site! I love the Maryjane aprons--have yet to make one though, so busy. It's on my sewing list though. MaryJane also has a couple of books you'll probably enjoy also. Take care!

Be true in heart.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2008 :  08:59:13 AM  Show Profile
Okay...I have a confession to make...when I first saw MJ's Life book I did not pick it up becuase I assumed it was one of those "fluff" books by people that expect you to spend a lot of money replicating their lifestyle....ie; a "cocktail table book" with nothing really to offer. I had wasted my money in the past on some of those. I saw it on a website again and read up on it and thought it sounded like my kind of book so I ordered it. WOW!!!! All my life I have been very independent and self-sufficient and many times criticized for it and labled "strange" but when I read about Mary Jane and her farm and her life I knew I had "come home"....I will be forever grateful to her and all of you out there who have finally given me a place where I "fit in" for once! Thank you!
Oh!!!! I just recieved my sisterhood packet in the mail! Awesome...I can't wait to embroider my patch, frame my membership certificate and hang it up and start working towards my badges!
I could never be a girlscout or 4-h'er and I always wanted to and now finally I can!!!!
I think Mary Jane should come out with a handbook like the afore-mentionded organizations....A Farmgirl Handbook....maybe not as fancy as her idea book but one that you can throw in a backpack, stuff in a suitcase and use as a how-to for everyday farmgirls. How's about it Mary Jane? I'll help...volunteer...whatever you need....I'm here...remember...we're sisters now...I have proof! LOL!
Sam in AR

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken"
Go to Top of Page

bethellen
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Wildwood Missouri
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  1:40:45 PM  Show Profile
While searching for simplicity and farm on the internet, I ended up here! I am so excited I did.
I immediately ordered the back issue bundle of the magazine--I received it just a day ago. I am barelly a third of the way through the backcountry food issue. It's just so wonderful. I am absorbing every inc h of information.

Starting over farmgirl
www.primitivestitch.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2008 :  2:30:30 PM  Show Profile
I don't remember exactly when I picked up MaryJane's magazine, it was a long time ago, I think it was around the time my ex husband died andmy children were so devastated, I was kind of in a panic mode for a couple of years. When I got her first book, I was so dazzled. I realized I'd missed out on years of the magazine and immediately ordered all the back issues. I've only been on the forum for a few months, it has been the answer for me, the knowledge that there are so many women like me, who love gardening, sewing, aprons, etc. I have never joined any forums before, so this is like magic to me.....Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  7:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Hi Terre, Thank you for your nice message. I have family who live in Indianapolis. I am saving up for a sewing machine and in a couple of weeks I'll have enough to buy it!!! The first thing I want to make is the frilly apron. It is adorable. I ordered the back issue package too and I'm going through each issue very slowly to make the fun last!! And yes, Karin, this is like magic to me, too! I love it!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  7:19:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Carol! So glad that you are getting your new machine soon! Sewing is always opening new doors and projects. Able to do just my basic mending helps the budget so much! I have found lots of free projects also on the web. The pattern companies always have nice free projects. But MJ's aprons will keep you busy for a while, I'm sure. I went to our state fair last year and couldn't believe there were a couple of booths with aprons, most starting around $25.00 for the little ones. Of course, I didn't buy any. My husband laughed and said nobody wears aprons anymore---but when I asked my sisters if they had any and would they wear them, they told me they would love to have one and definitely would wear if they had. Hmmm- sounds like presents I can make :) Take care and have a good week!

Be true in heart.
Go to Top of Page

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  5:54:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sam! I was rereading your post and got a good chuckle. MJF's mag coffee table "fluff"---Wow, I bet you laughed too. Glad you're enjoying!

Be true in heart.
Go to Top of Page

ontargetlisa
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Lisa
Sandusky Michigan
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  12:08:53 PM  Show Profile
The first time I saw the cover of the book was in one of my book club newsletters. The cover shot and description intrigued me, because I was always drawn to living a simpler life, a more natural life. Over the years, I have purchased 6 or 7 Lifebooks as gifts for other "Farmgirls at Heart", and right now, don't even have a copy myself!

The beauty of the farm, the simple instructions on how to do things that got lost with my Gramma Lulu's generation, and the fact that MaryJane has made a good living at a simple life have intrigued me.
Love the stitching, and now that I see I can get merit badges for being a farmgirl, I am hooked!

Would love to learn more about preserving food and starting a CSA, the ultimate farmgirl occupation. Currently, I am a small business consultant, and living happily on a five acre minifarm with my husband, three dogs, two cats and a bunny named Boo. My hubby has restored our 1880 farmhouse, and recently had to take down the old barn, and we have recycled or reused all the wood in other buildings. He is building me a little house, complete with a year round mini greenhouse using the old windows from the house, and I will grow our veggies in there all winter. I long to meet more Michigan farmgirls....I live in the Thumb of the Mitten!

Let's make the world a more beautiful and healthy place!
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  12:46:22 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, how much do you charge as a small business consultant? I need one!
Cheers, Karen

have new blog to add to my other endeavors... http://karensprayerministry.blogspot.com/

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  11:32:14 AM  Show Profile
This inspired me to write a post about the subject on my blog! To make a long story short, I found a MaryJane's Farm magazine at Borders and fell in love. It speaks to the way of life I had while growing up, as well as the dreams my husband and I have for the future. It's a timely message of hope that we all need these days!

http://vintage-moxie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  2:18:59 PM  Show Profile
Terre,
Yes....I laugh now too when I remember my first thoughts but I too have ordered all the back issues and just today printed off all the categories and reqs for the badges and someone else somewhere suggested putting them in a notebook so I have tabs dividing the sections and I labeled the spine and even cut out one of the headings with the FARMGIRL SISTERHOOD logo and pasted it on the front of the notebook. This is all just too fun and what a learning experience and gets us all to step out of our "comfort zone" which is REALLY good for me because I've been getting so comfortable I'm starting to put on weight and at my age what goes on will NEVER come off! LOL! Really...that's a fact....so watch out you youngins'! Ha! Ha!
I'm not sure Mary Jane will ever realize how much good she's done for so many people. I'm not really one to "join" things either but I am truly behind this with all my heart....You Go GIrls!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2008 :  2:22:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh...Carol...did you get your new machine? What kind? You must tell us all about it! Congrats and let us know what your first project is...I just got a new machine too....somehow my really nice one dissappeared when I moved along with some other things but I have a nice little Singer now that should do the trick and I haven't really sewn for a long time so this will be fun to get back into it.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  12:55:44 PM  Show Profile
I order MaryJanes book through a book club and thought, "How cool"...then found out about her magazine and products, ordered all the back issues and found my people. I'm hooked.

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
Go to Top of Page

DebN
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Denton Texas
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  06:37:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls...This is my first time chatting anywhere! But I already love this group of fascinating women so I'm jumping in.

I found MJF at Barnes and Noble while searching for some information on "backyard" chickens...my husband (a former Ag teacher--now owner of a Feedstore..and the only person I have ever known who quit teaching to make less money)had been smuggling chickens into our backyard one at a time for quite awhile...hoping I would not notice. I noticed when one of the hens came to the backdoor to say hi.

Being a born city girl, it took me a while to learn to love "the girls"...but I do. I wanted to find out how to take care of them...without asking Mr. Know-It-All. And that is how I found MJF and it was full of all of my favorite things..cooking, stitching, homekeeping...who knew I was a farmgirl at heart?!
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  07:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Sandra,
I like your idea of a farmgirl manual... I did take all the badge requirments and reformat them so I could put them in a 3 pronged binder ( as I tend to be highly visual), you know keep the prize in eye shot..... I would be happy to email it to you if you want..I took it to our local printers and for $3 they spiral bound it for me.... Perfect!!!!

I love the sister-hood... it puts feet to the whole "farm chick" thing for me and for $20 I feel like I am giving a little something back to the farm for giving as much as they do - same with the books, magazines, retail store....It all makes me feel like I have my "own little plot" on the farm.....

Anyway... Great idea!!! You must be a visual learner as well.....

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  2:01:14 PM  Show Profile
I first found out about MaryJane is a completely random way...you could call it destiny lol! I was waiting for my friend to finish up at work one day (she works at our university bookstore and was closing the store on this particular day). Since I came to meet her about an hour before she closed I decided to saunter over to the mag section to check out some knitting magazines. As I was perusing the knitting selection I looked to the area above it and a certain magazine caught my eye. There was a woman on the cover with long blonde hair wearing an apron. I read the title "MaryJane's Farm" and I was curious and interested. I remember picking it up and reading the features on the cover. I was instantly in a better mood and sat down to read the magazine. It was wonderful and packed full of simple living. I loved everything about it and a few months after I looked it up online and now I'm here! It is all very exciting and fun to have found like-minded people!

Chelsey
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  2:07:24 PM  Show Profile
Hello again, I forgot to add that one of the main reasons I fell in love with MJ was because it made me feel as if I belonged. It helped me to not feel strange. I am only 20 years old and I have always loved making things and simpler ways of living. I love nature and knitting and baking bread from scratch. People my age just don't seem to be all that interested in these things when I tell them what my hobbies are. When I am older I plan on owning a farm-like piece of land with alpacas so I can spin my own yarn. I also want chickens and a few milking cows. I would love to learn how to make butter and cheeses and things like that. MJ has helped me make a connection with other people that like the same things that I do. It makes me happy!

Chelsey
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  2:33:32 PM  Show Profile
I happened upon MaryJane's magazine at Barnes & Noble when I was making my usual run for my monthly stash of knitting and gardening magazines. I happened to get a copy, and was very impressed with what I read...and the rest as they say is history :)

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  2:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love reading this thread. Isn't it amazing how many of us found MaryJane in such a similar way and stayed for the same reasons?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Missing the Horses
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

3 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  4:31:50 PM  Show Profile
First post!

Same here! I came accross MaryJanes newest book at Borders on a Saturday night. I spent the next
4 1/2 hours reading it! I TOO felt the "belonging" feeling. It made me sooo homesick for my
childhood. I was "horse crazy" (did she say WAS? STILL AM!!) and had the privlege of working at
a stable 3 summers in a row! THAT was..and still is "MY HEAVEN". MaryJane brought me back THERE in a instant.

SO GLAD TO BE HERE!

The soul of a woman
becomes one with the soul of the horse...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  5:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the forum Missing the Horses! I too am a displaced stable hand Someday hopefully soon I will own my own horse! Are you planning on getting a horse for yourself?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  8:46:50 PM  Show Profile
I can't remember when I first heard of MJ, but I know I fell in love with everything she stands for. I felt like I was "home" when I first checked out the website. I have been involved with other similar websites but the "home" feeling just was not a part of the experience. It is great to know I am not the only one who wants to do things simply and in an way that many today call "old". Even my Grandmother does not completely understand, but that's okay, because I know that everyone here does. Thank you ladies, for letting me come along and play with you!!

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  09:57:03 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
I picked up the magazine at Borders in Fort Wayne. I had already read my other favorites and needed a new one while waiting for current issues. I was so inspired. I am starting my own farm and have been looking for this type of inspiration. I was so hooked that I have all the back issues as well as all current books. Thanks MaryJane this is just what us farmgirls needed!

Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  1:25:52 PM  Show Profile
I found out about MJ from her book at the TSC in our town. I bought the book as a gift for my friend for Christmas and decided to make her something from the book but keep the book for myself! I read the whole book cover to cover and I was hooked.

AngiKay
www.angikay.etsy.com

Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Book Ideas: Previous Topic What brought me to MaryJanes Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page