Page: of 6

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2007 :  11:55:55 AM  Show Profile
I've enjoyed reading how everyone else found MaryJane's Farm. I first read about MaryJane in a New Yorker article, which I have saved to this day. I remember being so touched that one woman would work so hard and be so determined to realize her dreams, share her vision and figure out how to make a living just doing what she loves. I struggle to maintain my family's ranch with very little outside help and MaryJane's commitment and shining example constantly inspire me not to give up.

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

5.9inMO
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Debbie
Missouri
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2007 :  10:37:24 PM  Show Profile
I first discovered MaryJane's book in a Christian Book Club that I belong to. I ordered it because I'm always looking for ways to simplify.

I've ordered her chill-over powder, which by the way, is an excellent thickener for lots of things. My husband has crazy food allergies and can't eat normal puddings, etc. With that order came a copy of her magazine...which I loved.

I've purchased other copies of her magazine in an organic grocery that we shop at from time to time when we make it to town.

...And that, long story short (too late), led me here.

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  07:53:42 AM  Show Profile
I discovered MaryJane in the Country Living magazine while living in Congo, Africa. I went online to check out her website and did order all the back issues of the magazine. It has been such an inspiration it made my dream of living on a farm one day, come closer. I cannot wait to get her stitchery book next week when we are on holidays in Canada. Living abroad and in countries soooo different than home make the longing even deeper, longing for a community where the ladies understand where I came from and what I need, sharing advices and recipes, taking about gardens and flowers and family traditions. You all help me connect with my roots and bear the differences of each and everyday. I am for ever gratefull to MaryJane to have brought me back home in a very cosy manner !
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  11:57:03 PM  Show Profile
I have just been introduced to Mary Janes Farm. We had quilt group on May 24,2007. For our birthday exchange we are doing aprons, you can make them, buy them, so one of the gals bought 2 of Mary Janes aprons for her birthday girl. We all went gaga!!!!!!! She also had the magazine, Artistry in Aprons and let us all take a look. We were hooked. I went to Barnes and Noble, all around town trying to find it. I didn't realize it had been out for quite a while. Found the web site and ordered it and the back issues. Cannot wait to get them and read like crazy. I love the simple ways, the encouragement, and have to only allow myself so much time on here or I would be here all day!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Mary Jane and gang. What a great place to get encouraged and uplifted.
Carol Sue

Life is short, enjoy every moment.
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  5:20:27 PM  Show Profile
I found my first copy of Mary Jane's Farm in the grocery store. I live in the country...so the stores around here carry those kind of mags! I liked it alot, and then came across the next edition at Borders book store over an iced coffee. Been hooked ever since ")

www.homesteadblogger.com/TheQueenofQuiteAlot/
www.freewebs.com/muckbootsnaprons/
www.freewebs.com/dailywalkinfarm/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  12:13:22 PM  Show Profile
It's so easy to get hooked on farmgirl living, isn't it??? I kind of feel like it's an addiction for me... a GOOD one, of course!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  2:07:14 PM  Show Profile
I love hearing all these wonderful stories of how you all became "one of us". Isn't this a great place to be???

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JeannieC
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Jeanne
Wylie Texas
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  3:05:29 PM  Show Profile
I found Mary Jane's website while doing a search for rural living. I fell in love with the site and the posting board immediately, and couldn't wait to be approved for this posting board! My entire life, I have always wanted a simpler way of life, and with the man I am now married to, we are both trying to live a rural, country life. While I understand that being self-sufficient as to the ways of farming, etc isn't really easy, I prefer it much better than to the corporate world and the frantic pace of today's world. I'm very happy creating crafts, living close to the land as we can, and sad to say, I don't find many people of the same mindset in my immediate area, even though our area is considered rural/farm, LOL!
So I identify so closely with this wonderful group, and am so glad that I ran across Mary Jane's website..and this board too!
Love you all!

Hugs..
Jeannie

~ Jeannie and Jim's Little Country Acre ~ http://countrygranny.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  9:18:39 PM  Show Profile
I think I saw Mary Janes Farm magazine for the first time in 2004..can't really be sure...I remember that alot of life changes were happening with me when I discovered her magazine. I picked it up again in 2005 and joined the FG Connection then wound up moving again and just rejoined a couple of months ago....So, I've been trying to in the "groove" so to speak for a couple of years...LOL

Now I'm here and so glad...Since I'm fairly rural right now "with fields but no stock" the farmgirls are great company to me.

I'm moving to Nashville in the next couple of years and decided not to reinvest in my dairygoats until I get moved. Design and Sewing is a great passion... so I really enjoy having the Stitching section on the forum.

Mary Jane has truly created a space for the farmgirl at heart that is isolated and the for the farmgirl at heart in the city that needs some solitude from the hussle bussle of the city life

...til next time ~ queenofdreamsz

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
A Creative Journey

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  6:04:01 PM  Show Profile
I found the "artist in aprons" issue while in line at my favorite organic grocery, shopping for last year's thanksgiving dinner. So i haven't known about MaryJane for a year yet. But in that time i have purchased all the magazines (well not Premiere), books, audio book, calendar, note cards, most of the patterns, budget mixs, chill-o, garlic, iris, clogs, and sheets. I have loved it all. I have started a farmgirl chapter with my neighbor and i have added mjf magazines to my store inventory. Been quite a year. I thank God daily for the inspiration MaryJane has been to me. Cheers, Karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  8:11:30 PM  Show Profile
My introduction to MaryJane also came from the grocery store magazine rack. Last spring I saw the Artists in Aprons issue. Took it home and read the whole thing right then! My early childhood was spent on a farm and I cherish the memories of growing up as a farmkid. I like the simple values that come with the farming lifestyle. Even though I don't live on a farm now, it's in my blood!

Farmgirls are elegant
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  8:29:01 PM  Show Profile
I will not give names, but my first knowledge of MaryJane came from some one who does not like her, for what ever reason, and called her "pretentious and snobbish", yet when I was introduced to her one day by my Sweetie, she was anything but. I found her to be a gracious and friendly lady. Never being one to leave a mystery alone I went online to investigate :D and found the farmgirl connection. My current daydream is to buy a few acres and make such a wiz-bang micro-farm and crafts/publishing business that MaryJane comes to visit.

Hey a gurl can dream =)

Annika
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  8:29:31 PM  Show Profile
Vicki, isn't it amazing how "farmgirl-ness" can be found inside us no matter where we live? I didn't live on a farm for SO long... and I love how the farmgirl lifestyle can be lived wherever we might find ourselves!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  8:33:37 PM  Show Profile
Libbie - I truly believe that "Farmgirl is a condition of the heart". You are exactly right - it doesn't matter where we live, it's what's inside that counts!

Farmgirls are elegant
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  8:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I found Mary Jane by accident. I was checking out books at the library one day and her book just happened to be one they had on display at the end of a section. I though it looked good just from the cover. Man oh man was it ever good on the inside too!! I'm so glad that I found MJ's book and all of the wonderuful, loving farmgirls here on the board.

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  05:31:48 AM  Show Profile
I found Mary Jane's Magazine in a health food store called mother earth in 2002. It caught my eye. And I fell in love with it and Mary Jane from that moment on. And when I found the web site I bought her products ever since. I buy budget mix all the time. And when I found the web site I was in heaven. I may not write alot on the site but I am always on it and reading the posts. Going through menapouse I don't slep much at night so I spend my time on here.I feel cozy, fed, warm, excited, and happy here.I feel like I am home. I love to see pictures that are posted and hear stories everyone posts. I rejoice with thouse of you who have wonderful news and am sad when I hear sad news and I pray for those who need prayer. I feel I know so many of you on here and am part of something VERY special. I have learned sooooo much. I have favorite recipes from here now and have read many wonderful recommended books and even my 9 year old granddaughter spends time here. She loves it here too! This web site is truly a blessing.
My favorite mag is the Art of the egg. I have a few of just that one mag. I guess I love it cause I have chickens. I don't know. Oh and Farm kitchen. I have 3 of those. Oh I love them all!!!!!
Have a great day!

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  07:01:55 AM  Show Profile
I stumbled on Mary Jane's book on a bookclub site. Talk about your warm fuzzy! I was instantly in love and was delighted to learn there were magazines too. I ordered all that were available at that time, and have subscribed to all the new ones as well. Mary Jane's writings have been an inspiriation to me. Since discovering Mary Jane's book, I've gifted two of my friends with a copy and my bestfriends mother who just fell in love with the book after looking through her daughter's copy. I'm attempting to start a farm girl chapter, although we haven't had any formal get togethers yet. It's just so nice to find some of your own kind!

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"

Edited by - clux64 on Oct 24 2007 07:06:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

CorgiPants
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jenna
Champaign IL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  07:56:27 AM  Show Profile
I have never read the magazine, purchased products or visited MJF. I found the Farmgirl Connection through my search for swaps. But I found more than just some swaps, though there are those too. I found ladies like myself who appreciate an apron, a day in the kitchen, a nature hike, and a simpler life. If I were to try any of the products, I'd have to say I'd try the ChillOver powder because I can only get vegan gel dessert powder around passover when the store has an aisle of kosher foods. We've made our own "budget mix" since I can remember and I don't really use too many convenience food-type mixes. And I just borrowed the Idea Book from the library recently.

Get the latest information about swaps at: Swapdex.blogspot.com
And visit me and my family (including a corgi) at: corgipants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knit_by_the_moonlight
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Noelle
Victoria MN
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  2:07:36 PM  Show Profile
I found MJF via Barnes and Noble when the second issue came out years ago now. I was so excited to add it to my other "simpler life" magazine choices like Mother Earth News and Grit etc. MaryJane gives hope to all of us who are longing for a farm of our own, but have to "bloom where we are planted" in the city, country or outskirts of town. I love the combination of enviornmentaly friendly news and ideas -with crafts AND organics. She promotes the lifestyle I have been trying my best to live for years and it is nice to find others on the connection who value it. Maybe the magazine could highlight what it takes to buy country property within an hour of major metro areas -for those of us who are unable to convince family members to leave their day jobs so we can live the "good country life" too! It has been frustrating to watch suburban sprawl-and all of the rules that come with neighborhood associations and cities, killing off a person's right to have chickens, or a shed for the garden or even a cloths line! How about a movement to build Suburban "farms" at affordable prices- instead of sprawl, cars and convenience stores! Just a thought!

May your stitches never drop and your knitting always be cherished!

visit me: http://www.squidoo.com/knitternoelle
Go to Top of Page

gwennym
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Gwen
Edwardsville IL
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  6:39:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi to all, this is my first Farmgirl post!

I believe I found MJ's site via Amazon while looking for books about horses and farmlife in general. Once I signed onto the website, I was hooked. I asked for MJ's book for Christmas, which I received (!) along with the Apron issue of the magazine. LOVE IT!

I actually am from Farmgirl stock -- my mother and step dad have a 35 acre farm just a mile and a half from me outside Edwardsville, ILL, and my younger sister is married to the farmer behind my parents' place! I was lucky to find a house and barn on 6 acres surrounded by farmland. My boyfriend and I count our lucky stars everyday that we live on a piece of property like this. This spring, Dad and I are building my chicken coop and Mom will help me order some chicks. I'm also in the process of mending pasture fencing, rebuilding damaged dutch doors on the barn and getting my barn ready for goats (ok, maybe a horse!). Since my people on both sides of my family were farmers, I feel as though I'm "coming home" by living in the country. There's nothing like getting dirt under your nails, slogging through mud in a good pair of Wellingtons, and taking care of critters to really make you feel alive.

I'm very happy to have found this site, surrounded by like-minded women!

Gwen
Go to Top of Page

gwennym
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Gwen
Edwardsville IL
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  6:46:26 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I really agree with your views on suburban sprawl. My former home was in a northwestern suburb of Chicago, not far from where my grandfather farmed. He'd be sickened by the sight of strip-mall after strip-mall on the gorgeous black ground that used to be bountiful farms. It's really a sad state of affairs when we have a Walgreens on every corner, a CVS on the opposite corner and another similar store right next to the others! And that's just in a 1 or 2 mile radius.

I love the country. We put in a pool last July, and I lay out in the water at night and look up at SO many more stars than I used to see. The quiet is unbelievable and kind of disconcerting at first, but I've grown to love it. Traffic makes me angry, yet following a slow-moving tractor makes me smile. Guess I'm just a nut!

Gwen
Go to Top of Page

gwennym
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Gwen
Edwardsville IL
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  6:48:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Celeste!

I'm in the process of helping another gal get a Farmgirl chapter up and running. So far it's just us 2, but with lotsa luck, we'll have a few good gals join us. Good luck!

Gwen
Go to Top of Page

sissysquilts
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

sissy
wa
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  9:27:20 PM  Show Profile
I was lucky enough to receive a MaryJane gift certificate for Christmas *~* and now....totally hooked :) What's funny is that we are actually, originally from the Palouse area (now living on the opposite side of the state), how I kick myself for not finding MaryJane's farm when we lived there! With plans to move back...someday though. ....I can always look forward to visiting hopefully on trips back home too. I own/run my own business so I dont' usually spend extra time online but I am so enjoying the site and hope to check in here often and looking forward to the fun activities! Thank you all for the warm farmgirs welcome! *~*
Sissy

"The good stars met in your horoscope. Made you of spirit,fire and dew"
Robert Browning
Go to Top of Page

joanieh
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Joan
Brinnon WA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  3:22:50 PM  Show Profile
Last fall, a friend lent me a Mary Jane's Farmgirl/cookbook to read because she thought I was a lot like Mary Jane. She was so right, and now I find out I am not all that weird at all. There are lots of people like me. Wow! I was raised in Olympia, Washington, went to college in Bellingham, Washington, and my mom's family has its roots in the Palouse, near where Mary Jane lives. My great uncle still lives on the homestead in Colfax where my grandfather was raised! Maybe that's where I got the farmgirl's heart. I live in Brinnon, Washington now, where my husband and I own 40 acres, mostly forestland. We have a Woodmizer sawmill which we have used to make the lumber to build our home, which is almost completed. I have a small Community Supported Agriculture garden that serves 9 members. We have a rustic cabin near the garden area which I am contemplating renting out like Mary Jane does her wall tents, but I am not sure whether it would be legally possible in Jefferson County. I believe that you have to have a well certified for public drinking water in order to be a lodging place, and you certainly couldn't have an outhouse. Anyone have any ideas on how to get around such obstacles?
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  11:29:49 AM  Show Profile
I saw Mary Janes Stitching book at Barnes and Noble and was thrilled to see someone doing beautiful vintage crafts. Then I received an offer in the mail for the magazine and just knew I had to subscribe! It was so nice to see women of all ages in the magazine, all shapes and sizes, long hair, short hair....the only fashion trend was a contented smile and mud on your boots....LOL Finally someplace where I fit in!

Kim
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Book Ideas: Previous Topic What brought me to MaryJanes Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page