Page: of 6

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  10:55:00 PM  Show Profile
Libbie, I'm so glad you found inspiration in my pleated apron. I love the pleats! I'm working up a pattern right now that uses full 2 1/2 inch pleast all the way around. It is styled after an Amish apron that I saw. I discovering through designing simply, for farmgirls, that I let the fabric do what it wants. I know that sounds weird, but after studying many aprons in antique shops, our foremothers knew what they were doing. They didn't have sergers and things of that nature, so they took advantage of finished selvedges and didn't cut them off. I have been finding that when you take advantage of selvedges for the waistband and the side hems, there is far less bulk and they are quite comfortable! I would love to see your apron, and goodness......goodluck with your coming bundle of joy!

Hugs,
Georgann
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  12:02:37 PM  Show Profile
I just love the idea of letting the "fabric do what it wants!" It does seem like sometimes things that we consider inanimate just have the "feel" that they should be a certain way.

Georgann, your apron expertise is so much fun to read about and see -- I didn't even think of actually USING the selvedges...what a great idea!

Thank you so much for your good wishes with the upcoming little one - just 5 or so weeks to go!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  2:44:48 PM  Show Profile
I found Mary Jane's Farm at Walmart, of all places! It was the second issue, after the Premier, I think that was the Art of the Egg....The only reason I chose it was because of the Add Free flag in the corner, and the "solutions for everyday organic" I had no idea that I would gain so much from that first $5 purchase! Great food, ideas, and even better, like-minded friends!

Much love
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Bundaflicka
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Maggie
Brookfield New York
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  06:08:41 AM  Show Profile
I recently bought the Lifebook at Tractor Supply and have been reading it as we move to our very own farm in upstate New York. I just can't get enough of it, and keep it on the dashboard of my F150. I love when she said something like, if you are looking for the farmgirl in you just look in the rearview mirror and there she is! How inspiring!

Maggie AKA Bundaflicka ("farmgirl" in Swedish)

The farm is the heart of the earth.
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  06:44:29 AM  Show Profile
I discovered MJ's #2 issue, Backcountry Foods, at Border's way back in '02. Wow. It's amazing to think that MaryJane and her wonderful farmgirl world have been impacting my life for so long already! I, too, loved the "ad-free" claim on the front and promptly ordered up a bunch of food. We love, love, love to take MJ food when backpacking. I love the ideas that I get and the friends that I've made through MaryJanes Farm!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  10:57:56 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I were scouting thru the magazines at Barnes and Noble when he found it and said to me that this magazine looked like my cup of tea. He was right...and truth be known, he reads the magazines and goes through the big book, too! XO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  11:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I was looking for a weave -it pattern and I found MJF a very nice bonus.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  11:07:12 PM  Show Profile
I found MaryJane's Farm when I did a search on aprons and Tasha Tudor and I am sooooo very glad I found it!!! I now have the MaryJane book and haven't put it down for days. Now I'll have to order all the supplements.
Thanks MaryJane and all on the farm - you brought back my hope and confidence in my dream - I CAN DO IT!!
Best wishes and keep dreaming,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Nan
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Nancy
Pierce Colorado
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  6:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Nan's MSN Messenger address
I too found my first Mary Janes Farm at Barnes and Noble. We had just made the decision to sell our home in Southern California and move to Colorado. I have now collected all of her back issues and have tried the baking mix (wonderful). I grew up spending my weekends and summers on my Aunt's ranch in Washington, so coming back to the country life as been great. I have not yet moved my significate other over to the all organic and or farm lifestyle that I see for us in the long run, I take it one day at a time. He has just offered to build me a greenhouse and we joined a local CSA for this summer. Needless to say Mike likes reading Mary Jane as much as I do. All of his sisters have moved here also from So. Cal so I enjoy sharing Farmgirl wisdom with them.I am hoping to start a home-based business in the near future using some of Mary Jane and the other Farmgirls ideas.

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Mame Dennis
(Aunite Mame)
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  04:50:49 AM  Show Profile
I ordered the Idea Book...from Crafter's Choice, found the web addy expecting just to find more info. I was delighted to find this forum and so many like-minded ladies!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  08:05:55 AM  Show Profile
I ordered my book from there too Bonnie, not really knowing what it was. I just loved the picture on the cover! Then I loved the book so much I gave one to my sis. She found the site & told me about it. So we both introduced each other to the world of MJF. So glad we did!

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  07:29:42 AM  Show Profile
I just love hearing how all of us farmgirls met up here - isn't it amazing that there's a place for us all to exchange ideas and information and support and caring and enthusiasm (I could go on and on!)?!?!?! I love it here! Thanks, MaryJane!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  09:49:22 AM  Show Profile
I found a MJF magazine a couple of years ago at a Borders in downtown Chicago. I read through it, loved it and checked the book out from the library. It took me a while, but then I finally decided to check out the website, and the rest is history. I grew up in a farm community, but my mom moved out of state when I went to college, so I don't have a physical "home place" to go back to. But being able to come here and have the same sort of over-the-fence interactions means the world to me!

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  2:43:15 PM  Show Profile
I found a MJF magazine at the Fred Meyer store south of Seattle 2 yrs ago but was feeling cheap and didn't buy it! A year ago I was back there and found one and this time I got it and absolutely loved it! I found the website through the magazine and am so happy I did! I have found such inspiration and everyone is so sweet, really wish I had neighbors just like the women on here. I bought the ideabook for myself and also for gifts and will buy every book and magazine that MJF puts out.
Cheryl

cheryls-life-at-the-farm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Kay
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Tina Kay
Deary ID
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  09:16:14 AM  Show Profile
My mother found out about MJ Farm. She lives up in Idaho. She told me about her and I did a search and found her website. That was about 2 years ago. I have enjoyed her book. I have read it about 5 times. My Daughter, Madie K, loves the jumprope dities. I cannot wait for her stitching book!

www.homesteadblogger.com/lilpatch
www.ablessingtodave.blogspot.com

If you would be happy for a week ~ take a wife.
If you would be happy for a month ~ kill a pig.
But if you would be happy your whole life ~ plant a garden.
~mid 17th century~
Go to Top of Page

BackyardTreasures
True Blue Farmgirl

189 Posts

Anne
Connecticut
USA
189 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  3:11:25 PM  Show Profile
I was first introduced to MJ and her Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook by my good friend Peggy at http://homemadesimplicity.wordpress.com/
She raved about this book and the magazine, so I got the book through interlibrary loan and just loved it. I still don't have my own copy, but I get it on a regular basis from the library. In fact, I have it now.
And I was so happy, excited, ecstatic, to find the magazine at Walmart. It was the stitchery issue and it's awesome. I can't wait for the next issue. Hopefully some day I'll have my own copy of MJ's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook and the new Stitchery book too. They are both on my wishlist.

~~Anne
Go to Top of Page

kreativeblonde
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Amanda
Summerland Ca
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  7:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Let's face it...I looooooooove magazines! I came acroos MJF magazine 9the apron issue)at my local bookstore. I kept looking at, putting it back, looking at it and putting it back. Over the course of the next couple of weeks I'd think of something i'd seen in the magazine, mostly the aprons. I even visited my new magazine a few times :-)
I had been looking for something that'd be an easy starter project for getting back into sewing and aprons fit the bill perfectly. Finally I went to a local Borders store and there it was again! I HAD to buy it!!! It had stayed in my mind for weeks. I bought the copy home and sat down with a big cup of tea and started reading it. My tea ran out long before I was done reading. I was hooked! It inspired me to go through my fabrics (from long ago sewing projects i'd never quite gotten to) and pick out some "apron fabric". I also discovered a lovely little number (full of green, red and orange coloured veggies) already cut out. Perfect, I thought!. The pattern said it was a "one hour project", obviously they hadn't met me...it ONLY took me 5 hours :-) LOL!!!!!
It started me on quite an adventure. Every time I went into a thrift store I looked at the pattern area (if there was one) to see if there were any apron patterns. Lo and behold on my first foray I found 2 patterns. One is from 1946 and is a pattern for "bbq apron". It features embroidered dachsunds or "hotdogs" on each of the 2 arched pockets. It also has iron on transfers for the hotdog and bbq fork along with a hat pattern. the 2nd one was billed as a "bazzar apron" I has 2-3 variations, some of which have a tie which has a casing that goes just below the waist. The fun thing about this pattern is that it also has a childs version...complete with a chefs hat.
I started making the "hotdog apron" and had made one complete dog and started the second one before I broke my arm. I can't wait to finish it! I found some vintage-type fabric called, " vintage flea market" or something like that, so it has a nice vintage look to it.
I also just bought the book last week and am taking my time going through it and just enjoying it immensely. I can't wait for the new magazine and the new book.
Go to Top of Page

jendada
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Jen
Ellendale MN
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  8:14:59 PM  Show Profile
I came across the apron issue of the magazine also a couple of months ago at the little book store across the street from where I work. Read every word!! Loved it!! Just got the Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook in the mail last week. I think I've looked at it everyday!
Jen
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  9:22:56 PM  Show Profile
I was randomly searching through the library's online catalog, keywords like homemaking, simple living, country living etc. ordering anything that caught my fancy to be sent to my tiny local library and MaryJane's Lifebook showed up. I ordered it and a week later picked it up. One look and I was done for, I now own my own copy (the library book had to go back to other farmgirls in need!) and have ordered the Aprons mag. and pre-ordered the Stitching Book. I am good and truly hooked!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  10:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
I found MJ's book in our library on a Marine Corps base in Okinawa, Japan which is amazing because not all military libraries are well stocked! I took it home, loved it, extended my time with it, looked online and found the connection, and you all have been stuck with me ever since!!
Oh! And this year things are good for us and I just got my very own *~autographed~* book (because the library one was getting confused as to where it belonged! ) and I can't wait til it gets here!! *sigh* ... and now you all know why you are stuck with little miss Buttercup!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  12:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
My husband gave me MJ's book for my birthday last year....he always calls me his "farmgirl". I fell in love with the book, read and re-read it. Since I just could not get enough, I did an online search, found the magazines and the website and I have been hopelessly addicted ever since. I cannot wait for the new stitching book. Something about M.J. just calls to my heart. And being a part of the farmgirl connection has been a blast. I love reading everyone's blogs and finding girls who think like I do.
Thanks Mary Jane!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Bee Haven Acres
http://beehavenacres.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

beckels
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

becky
warrington pa
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  12:00:02 PM  Show Profile
I found Mary Jane in the country living magazine (I wrote down her website) and 1 day I actually was going thru all my email written in my wallet - I found maryjane and been hooked since that day

beckels
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2007 :  06:56:27 AM  Show Profile
Ifound Mary Jane at a grand opening of a Belk Tyler department store in Wilmington, NC. I ran in to find my husband some new shirts and had to walk through the linen dept. Well......I saw this beautiful bedroom display area set up with a beautiful quilt, shams, dustruffle, crocheted throw and next to it was a large armoire with thedoors opened and on the shelf was Mary Janes book. I picked it up and was hooked immediately. Couldn;t figure out why I had not discovered her before then. Anyway I bought the book on the spot, came home and ordered the stitching book and got a magazine sent along with it. I have always been "wired" for this way of life! Love it Love it! I have begun crocheting after many years gone by and quilting, embroidery,anything that involves needle work. It is like a tonic. For the past year I have been buying vintage hankies and anything crocheted. Been sewing pretty aprons all the while I didn't realize that all of you other ladies feel drawn to these lovely ways of the past too. It is comforting to be connected in these small ways to the past and to other ladies who feel the same way and share all of their country lady ideas! Thank you Mary Jane. Tracy in NC
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2007 :  07:16:37 AM  Show Profile
I found MaryJanesFarm in a Border's Bookstore. It was the Egg issue and then I ordered the very first issue online with some food packs. Hard to believe it was 3 years ago! I have learned so much, mostly that there are a lot of really great women out there! And MJ is a great role model.

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2007 :  07:36:52 AM  Show Profile
I found MJF from I think the show "Food Finds" I was going on a family camping trip and I thought it would be perfect if I ordered some of her food. So I watched the rest of the show and they always include ways to get the items that they featured and I got my first order and a magazine with it. The rest is history...I've ordered other things since then and found wonderful friends here, purchased her books and magazines at Borders.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Book Ideas: Previous Topic What brought me to MaryJanes Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page