Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Awful! My feet are awful--cracked heels!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Awful! My feet are awful--cracked heels! Next Topic
Page: of 2

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  08:59:41 AM  Show Profile
Can anyone help? I've tried all these over the counter creams and scrubs and whatever, and nothing, I mean nothing, gets rid of these deep cracks and dry patches on my heels and toes. I was a ballerina, so my feet have certainly seen better days, but you'd think since they haven't been shoved in pointe shoes in over 10 years that they'd look a little better.

Anyone have this problem? What do you use as a solution? I'm embarrased to touch my husband in bed with my feet!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  09:21:40 AM  Show Profile
I had that problem last year and found a couple things that helped. NO going barefoot, especially in soil...big one for me as I hate shoes in summer! I bought Dr. Scholl's (sp?) Extreme Foot Remedy, put it on at night with a pair of cotton socks and it finally heeled (bad pun) it up! :)

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  09:24:19 AM  Show Profile
Just had a flashback from when my girls danced...I remember my oldest and her first pair of pointe shoes. Big blisters (which I'm sure you can relate to) and her going to school in the dead of winter in flip flops! I think we went through rolls of toe tape.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  09:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- It might take up to 3 months for your feet to heal if the cracks are really deep. Make sure you are drinking enough water! That is usually the #1 reason why feet have a hard time healing. Being even slightly dehydrated restricts the elasticity and cushioning power of skin. Also make sure you have enough good oils in your diet like avacado and fish oil too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  10:15:54 AM  Show Profile
Jonni~ You might try lanolin (like the stuff they give you to use when you are breastfeeding) on your heels. Just rub it in before bed at night and wear some socks (to save your bedsheets). I had that problem too because I go barefoot ALL the time. It seemed to help ALOT!
hugs

Jessie

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  10:28:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls! Glad I'm not the only one, but it is rather unbecoming, isn't it? I don't mind if my hands look a mess, because I can't help but dig in the garden with my hands, but I'd at least like my feet to be decent!
Yes, Diane, I can soooo relate. My pinky toenails FINALLY stay on now after years of falling off (gross, right!).

Well, I am bad for going barefoot--and now my husband says I'm going to make Vi have the same issue (she's not even walking yet, but she likes to bounce in the Johnny Jump up without socks on the rug :)

I will drink water, Alee...I've stopped drinking a lot since I had Violet. I will try again!

and, Jessie, I still have some of that Lasinoh cream around somewhere. I will give that a shot!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  10:44:52 AM  Show Profile
I get them too, another ex-ballerina (tho'I never made it as a pro)I have mutant little toenails too and bad foot cracks. I've had to stop going barefooted because it dries out my feet so terribly. I've been using shea butter and socks at night and it seems to be helping a bit. Do drink lots of water, I'm bad at that one, but I know from experience, that it helps. I hate having ugly feet! I can so relate.

Take care Jonni and I hope that some of the advice here helps, heel cracks are so painful.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  11:02:08 AM  Show Profile
I am a bare foot girl, will never get shoes on me. I do take regular care of my feet. Recently I did a barter with Connie (naturemaiden) and she sent me some of the most wonderful foot care products. I have used them twice so far and am hooked. The foot soak salts are soooo soothing. No cracks on these feet now! Check out her site you will just love her stuff.

www.NatureMaiden.com

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  12:27:24 PM  Show Profile
BagBalm usually works very well for this ailment, and you will love the little green tin with the picture of the cow's udder in a garland of flowers on it....Really, it does work wonders for cracked feet, etc.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  12:51:25 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried the Ped Egg foot scraper I relly like this deal. Melody (By the Bay) Melody on this forum has a awsome balm she makes I sand off my feet put his in with cotton socks and the are soft and nice the next morning.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  1:00:56 PM  Show Profile
Jonni...e-mail me your address I will send you some of rosemary/lavender balm. Works wonders!!

At night, I massage some of my balm on my poor heels... (I only wear shoes when absolutely necessary!)then slip on a pair of cotton socks and off to bed I go. In the morning they are nice and smooth...
NOT SCRATCHY!!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  1:01:59 PM  Show Profile
I second the Ped Egg suggestion, Dr. Scholls just came out with something similar. It looks almost like a cheese grater and actually feels nice when being used and gets rid of a lot of dead skin. That and some thick lotion at night with socks should clear those feet up fairly quickly!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  1:06:12 PM  Show Profile
Jonni:
Now don't laugh. Okay you can laugh just a little. I use preperation H. Of course, I put it on at night, and have to wear socks. It has helped me more than anything. Now I don't have cracked heels, and haven't for a long time. When I started, I put the PH on every night. It's been over three years now. I use the PH now maybe once a week.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  1:11:09 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,
Definitely try some of the natural stuff that is going to come your way! They will work better than anything else you can put on your feet! :)
I have awful problems with my skin in the winter, a few months ago I decided to go natural. Since then, I have been reading all the terrible things about Lauryl Sulfate, Laureth Sulfate, things hidden under "fragrance" etc. that are in commercial soaps, lotions, stuff like that. I have gradually made the switch so that I am only using home made castile soaps, pure oils and butters on my skin. Somewhere in one of the many books that I have read I remember seeing that some of these petroleum related products can cause cracked feet, and that they can become worse in the summer.
You'll have to report back to us on how your feet are doing!!! I am trying to convince my daughter who has the same problem to do the same thing!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  6:29:59 PM  Show Profile
Take a glob of bagbalm, and a handfull of epson salts, mix together and scrub your feet/heels with it, wipe off the excess and put on socks and off to bed. In 1 night, it will be a big differance.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  10:51:22 AM  Show Profile
Use a scrub on your feet every day for two weeks. After scrubbing and before bed put on the good stuff that the gals are sending you. Something with shea butter and cocoa butter will really help! Use the moisturizer every day but cut the scrub back to once or twice a week after the initial two weeks. Sometimes dry cracked heels can be a foot fungus too. If all this doesn't help then you might want try an anti-fungal on your feet.

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  2:54:49 PM  Show Profile
I read a book once, a memoir written by a doctor in Vermont, called Bag Balm and Duct Tape. One of the locals came in with that combo on his broken leg. I think Bag balm and duct tape are probably staples in most New England homes. I'll bet the natural remedies will work just as well, I just love the designs on the tins of bag balm...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  4:57:44 PM  Show Profile
I am also a barefoot gal, and also an ex dancer. My feet are like mocassins on the bottom, and sometimes crack. I use Ahava foot cream and socks overnight. Also, I file (sand) them gently on the heel with a foot file, just a little at a time, cream them and then wear socks for awhile In the winter they get better.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  5:15:04 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I know exactly what you are going through. I am so embarrased about my heels. I do go barefoot but try not to outside. I cannot wear shoes without heels because it's so bad. And it's really hard to find cute shoes in summer without heels. I can't even wear flip flops anymore. Big deep cracks and I cannot make them even look halfway clean even when they are. I hate shoes, too.

I took Mrs. T. to get her hands and feet done and she insisted I get mine done, too. I was SO embarresed! I hadn't shaved my legs in months, either. I kept apologizing to the poor girl, but she's Chinese or something and doesn't speak much English. There are 2 guys that do this, too, and I just know they were talking the whole time about mu awful nasty feet. But by the time they got done, my heels were all nice and smooth and great. But it didn;t last long. I want to get one of those razor things they use there.

I have tried the Ped Egg. It works good for the first few times. I also use a file alot. But I just try to hide them as much as possible. Even right now after a shower and scrubbing them, they still look nasty.

I will try some of these suggestions, too, and hope it will work. I hope you get yours under control. I also drink lots of water and take fish oil and evening primrose oil.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  6:26:25 PM  Show Profile
I second the use of Melody Neece's healing balm, it works!

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  12:03:22 AM  Show Profile
I would think you could use diluted vinegar for the fungus - even if you can't see it it may be a cause. I also agree get more fish oils, vit E, olive oils, etc into your system along with the good ol plain water. Depending on how long you've had the condition they say it can take twice as long to improve..... You'll be playing footsies in no time !!

Hugs,
Zens Goddess
My life goal is to Simply - Simplify my life.
http://herbalcottage.blogspot.com
http://herbalcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  05:20:08 AM  Show Profile
I was at the Chattanooga market yesterday and found some pure shea butter. It sure ain't cheap. But I put it on last night with socks on. I will keep the socks on all day today. I hope this will help my poor ole feet.

So this is a fungus? How do you use the vinegar? Just pour it on or soak with it?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  8:32:32 PM  Show Profile
Corn huskers lotion and badger balm :)

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  9:26:14 PM  Show Profile
Like you I danced when I was younger-pointe lessons. Combine that with years of factory and retail work on my feet, well they are pretty nasty and sore. I also am diabetic so they are very dry. I also go barefoot around the house most of the time. (don't tell my doc-she'll yell at me!)

I scrub them with a pumice sponge, and put tons of Gold Bond lotion (in the green bottle)and then some socks before bed. Whatever the cooling part of the lotion is feels so good! They are very soft the next morning.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Aug 27 2009 9:28:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  8:24:57 PM  Show Profile

Dilute the vinegar- you should use cider vinegar for body and the clear vinegar for household, some where around 1/2 cup to the pan that you soak your feet in will help and if you have tea tree add a couple drops of that too or lavender. They are all antifungal and tea tree and lavender can be used (neet)
meaning they do not have to be diluted. But first by make sure your not allergic, by doing the patch test first. Then you can use it neet as long as your appling it to just a spot and not all over your body.

quote:
Originally posted by kristin sherrill

I was at the Chattanooga market yesterday and found some pure shea butter. It sure ain't cheap. But I put it on last night with socks on. I will keep the socks on all day today. I hope this will help my poor ole feet.

So this is a fungus? How do you use the vinegar? Just pour it on or soak with it?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Hugs,
Zens Goddess
Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  8:31:58 PM  Show Profile
This part isn't about feet but it is about vinegar. I have found that it really works, heaven help me I am just a woman,.... and if something smells in my house it's outta there and I reach for the vinegar and pour it on a dish towel. Then I wave the dish towel in the air, NO more smell! ie /try it next time you cook fish.
I also leave a dish of vinegar settin on the stove at night like when the neihbor is cleaning his barns, his barn smells worse than ours but then he has 500 some cows. Works better than a cloths pin on the nose and it dosn't hurt.

Hope this helps

Hugs,
Zens Goddess
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Awful! My feet are awful--cracked heels! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page