Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Awful! My feet are awful--cracked heels!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Awful! My feet are awful--cracked heels! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  08:41:03 AM  Show Profile
Use a pumice to slough off the dead skin, THEN use cream. The creams aren't going to help a lot unless you rid yourself of the dead skin. I use a pumice stone both in the shower and out on the back porch. I find using it on moist and also dry skin helps most.
Just what works for me, your mileage may differ. -smile-

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13625 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13625 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  10:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I would agree with the Bag Balm suggestion. I think it works well. And I usually but a bandaid over the crack after applying BB . . . it heals up pretty quickly.

I get cracks around my fingers during the winter sometimes and I use BB for that too, cover with bandaids.

In the summer I do foot soaks, use scrubs and that is WONDERFUL for cleaning, debriding and making my feet feel "normal" again.
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  6:44:10 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for this thread. The information is great !!! I have gotten out of the habit ordering products from you farm girls and that is going to stop. I have ordered soap and solid lotion from someone that no long is in the business and I have neglected you others that produce the same thing. My feet, my hands , my skin thanks all of you. and be looking for an order !!! I have your sites on my favorits
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  10:50:01 AM  Show Profile
Yep me too on the yucky feet! Going barefoot is for sure my problem. I have been using store bought items and nothing seeems to work except for wintertime when I have to wear shoes an socks, by spring they are lovely and then back out to the yard! I have noticed using the grater thing right after the shower when the skin is moist removes a lot more. Then I just do good quality lotion and sockies to bed. I'm brand new here so I'll be looking up some of you who have products available, I was also recomended the Barter. Checking that out next.

Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  10:43:45 AM  Show Profile
What is Bagbalm and where does one buy this?
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  7:34:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by FebruaryViolet

Can anyone help? I've tried all these over the counter creams and scrubs and whatever, and nothing, I mean nothing, gets rid of these deep cracks and dry patches on my heels and toes. I was a ballerina, so my feet have certainly seen better days, but you'd think since they haven't been shoved in pointe shoes in over 10 years that they'd look a little better.

Lots of GREAT solution presented already, but one thing I did see addressed was your shoes (when you are wearing them!). Lots of shoes use cork in the foot bed, which literally wicks the moisture out of your feet. Some are obvious, like Birkenstocks, but I am finding more and more that many less obvious brands do so. And you don't see the cork because there is a piece of leather over it.

I found this out the hard way, as you may have guessed. My feet, which I care for very well and won't let them dry and crack at all, started doing just that. Found out it was the cork. Happened two more times with new shoes, and now I actually research shoes before buying to find out their content.

Anyway, keep it in mind as you don't want to spend all the time and battle an unknown enemy constantly...

Bread the Mary Jane Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- Hodgson Mill Organic unbleached flour
- well water w/ reverse osmosis filter
- feeding twice as much once a day to eliminate excess hooch
- first sourdough loaf 7/25/09 - GREAT!
- using KA bread flour for loafs
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  04:21:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jonni,

just came across this topic - I go barefoot a lot as well, and thats what motivated me to create the foot care products.

I now have another new foot care product, a foot care stick, The ingredients: Beeswax, Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Grape Seed Oil, Vitamin E, Aloe Vera, & the Essential Oils of Tea Tree & Peppermint.- it is non greasy and i use it myself everynight.

btw- Thanks Melody for your kind words about my products

Heres the link for my foot care products http://www.naturemaiden.com/footcare.html

ALSO dont forget to use the farmgirl discount: enter FARMGIRL20 @ checkout.
Connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products that I make myself- including soaps, salves, lotion bars, lip balms, natural deodorants, body sprays, hydrosols, salt scrubs, and MUCH more!

http://naturemaidenbathbodyproduct.blogspot.com/(Business Blog)

http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/(Personal blog)

Edited by - naturemaiden on Nov 09 2009 04:27:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  09:19:14 AM  Show Profile
Lots of great information on this thread. I agree with bag balm, or any utter cream (from a vet if you can't find it elsewhere) and all the other natural stuff that is suggested, including the essential oils and the vinegar. I also agree with staying away from commercial products which contain petroleum based ingredients.

One other suggestion I'll toss out there is to stay away from a Ped Egg. I tried it too, and it worked ok the first time, but then it started making my feet worse. My feet weren't really ALL that bad to begin with, but in summer I like to wear sandals and we had this wedding ....

But anyway, right before my son's wedding I went in for my first ever professional pedicure. That gal told me that most people are finding that the Ped Egg causes more harm than good, because it literally grates the skin off your feet rather than just smoothing it. IOW, it takes off too much skin. She also told me (as someone mentioned here) to use either a foot file or a pumice stone on feet that are wet sometimes and then dry the next time. The skin on my feet is finally back to normal, just from the filing method.

I ordered some pure shea butter from www.mountainroseherbs.com and also some pure Vitamin E oil and mixed them together. Socks at night, worked like a charm. I'm sure there are other "natural" things which work well, too, as suggested here. The one lady (Melody?) who has her own line of foot products probably sells good stuff, too. Even pure olive oil works well, it's just not as fast.

Good luck!

-Deb

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Awful! My feet are awful--cracked heels! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page