Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Simple Advice for flu prevention
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Simple Advice for flu prevention Next Topic  

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  2:07:07 PM  Show Profile
Got an email today that gave some good down-to-earth advice. I will try to recap it here in much shorter form.

Of course, as we have all been hearing, wash your hands often and vigorously.

Since two important germ portals in our bodies are the mouth and nose, keep them safer from germs by gargling at least once a day with warm salt water, and swabbing your nostrils with a warm salt solution. also, make it a habit to keep your hands away from your face unless you are cleansing it or eating.

It is said the salt and warm water mixture will kill and rinse away germs and the environment hospitable to them. If you clean nostrils and throats with salt solutions, it will help immensely.

Not touching your face needlessly or even rubbing your eyes, will keep many germs from finding their way inside your body.

The article also said warm drinks such a tea and broth does the same thing - cleanses.

So take it for what it is worth, but it sounds safe and sensible!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  3:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Also try a neti pot sinus rinse once a day. It really helps!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  1:35:56 PM  Show Profile
Shirley Jean,
My dad(a retired radiologist) sent me that same email!!! I printed it, cut it out and put it up on my fridge to remind myself to do these things. I also forwarded the email to my kids, but trying to get them to listen to Mom is like trying to...to... I don't know, but it's darned tough! Not a one of the 5 or their spouses would listen to me, now 2 of the families- the ones with my precious grandchildren- have the flu going through... My oldest daughter is pregnant, and has slight asthma, I have been telling her and telling her to please try these things, it can't hurt, and it could certainly help her! She hasn't had the flu yet and can't get the vaccine.
I am thinking of calling my dad and having him get on her, maybe she'll listen to a doctor!
Anyways, I've been doing the salt gargles and swabs, taking vitamin D and C, and eating well, and this cold that I have is the mildest cold I've ever had!
Glad to see you put this up here!
Oh, and Alee, I'll be going out in the next few days to buy a neti pot!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  2:23:43 PM  Show Profile
OMG Alee!! I've only run across a handful of people who even know what a neti pot is!! They sure are great for sinus congestion and I can see the benefit of using it for cleansing purposes as well.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

irishlass
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Tampa Florida
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  05:51:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi ya'll. I am new here - my very first post. Love this chatroom! am about to start work here so may not be able to answer if I get a reply until tomorrow morning. So for the rest of us - what is a neti pot?

Life is fragile, handle with prayer. Lord, keep one hand around my shoulders and another over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page

Gloria Bonde
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Gloria
Hot Springs SD
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  7:30:06 PM  Show Profile
I got the same email about gargleing with warm salt water and drinking warm liquids. My husband will do the salt in the nose rinse, but I went out and bought a saline spray. The email said it takes a few days for the virus to proliferate in your nose or back of throat so diluting the virus makes sense. So far so good! Gloria

www.ahealthygardener.com
Go to Top of Page

twink
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Deb
Rapid City SD
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  7:55:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by irishlass So for the rest of us - what is a neti pot?

Life is fragile, handle with prayer. Lord, keep one hand around my shoulders and another over my mouth!

Here's a site showing a few different versions of a neti pot.

http://www.neti-pot.com/

Basically, you use filtered (not tap) water (warm) and a saline solution to rinse out your nasal passages. Over a sink, tip your head, stick the snout of the pot into one nostril and let the water pour out the other nostril. Fairly simple, but very effective procedure.

I make my own saline solution (lots cheaper than buying the ready-made stuff that's exactly the same) - a blend of sea salt (good quality) and baking soda. Fill the neti pot about 1/2 full of fairly warm/hot water in order to dissolve the solution, then add cool water to get the temperature right for your nostrils. You don't want the water to be too hot. Also, I use a ceramic neti pot and prefer it to a plastic one. Plastic is good if you travel a lot, though.

Be sure to thoroughly clean the pot snout when you're done. That's all there is to a neti pot!

-Deb

http://healthtalk.6.forumer.com/index.php

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars. - Anonymous
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Simple Advice for flu prevention Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page