Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Disadvantages of homeschooling??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Disadvantages of homeschooling?? Next Topic
Page: of 2

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  2:04:04 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I are in the very early stages of discussing homeschooling our kids. He isn't necessarily against it, but he has some reservations. I am not even positive it is for us, but I can't really see any reason not to. Neither one of us really knows anyone who has been home-schooled so we don't have anyone to use as an example and talk to about it. I read blogs of people who homeschool and know that many Farmgirls do, but we just don't have that much experience with it. So, the other night he asked me what the bad side to homeschooling would be, and I honestly told him I didn't know. I could imagine you would get a little stir-crazy once in a while having the kids around all the time, but other than that, I couldn't give a good example.

If we are going to be serious about this, we really need to hear both sides of it, not just go into it thinking it will be a piece of cake. Everyone usually talks about all the advantages and how much they like it, but I need the nitty-gritty, so to speak. What made you want to pull out your hair? Beat your head against the wall? Give up? What would you do differently?

JustAnAllAmericanGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Jamie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  2:44:08 PM  Show Profile
I'm being very honest when I say that there really hasn't been what I would call a disadvantage or a bad side to homeschooling my son. I know some people do however, usually when dealing with large numbers of children, but in my case that just isn't so. To ask about the bad side of homeschooling is like asking about the bad side of parenting. Does everyday go perfectly and according to plan? No. Would you trade being a parent for anything in the world? No. Same for homeschooling. Maybe I feel this way because I have built into our homeschooling flexability and the permission to not be perfect, or on time.
I'm sorry my answer is so Polly Anna but it really is the truth. It is never perfect but it is what you make of it. And remember, homeschooling is not an all or nothing choice. If it doesn't work you can reenter the school system at any time. Good luck in making your decision, I'm sure you and your husband will do what is right for your children.

www.JustAnAllAmericanGirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  2:52:25 PM  Show Profile
Depending on where you live, do your kids have neighborhood kids to play with? If not , then they are missing out on socializing with others, and that can be damaging for many reasons, depending on age, i.e., learning to share, listening and obeying authority figures, learning about are social diversity, i.e., differant races, creeds and colors. Are you ready to spend 4-6 hrs per day, 5 days aweek, teaching, and ask your self, are you educated enough, and have the proper personality to school your kids. These are just some of the things I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  2:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have seen homeschooling be a great sucess. You can tailor your teaching to your child's needs, spend more one on one time with them and explore a broader range of subjects more in depth that most public schools can and will. However, I have also seen some families that didn't really make an effort to socialize their children with other kids and I have seent that to be a big downfall. So I think homeschooling can be a great tool but I think that some sort of extra ciricular outside of the home actiivity is really great too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  5:31:48 PM  Show Profile
My intention is not to offend anyone, but I have to put my two-cents worth in. I have been a professional educator for 20 years. I have a bachelors degree and a master's degree and I still don't feel that I could provide my kids with the best possible education. I don't believe anybody can be an expert at everything...my field is science and math. Maybe I take it personally that everybody thinks that they can teach...teaching is a profession, and I've worked hard to be the best teacher that I can be. Unfortunately, many people do not see teachers as professionals in the same light they see others with as much training (CPA, nurses, lawyers, etc.) I ask you this: If your child needed surgery, would you look it up on the internet and do it yourself? Like I said, I definately do NOT want to offend anybody, but I have seen too many times when kids come to public school and are so far behind in math and science, that they really struggle and the whole experience is miserable.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  6:32:35 PM  Show Profile
By the way, I did not home school, besides I don't think I could do a good enough job, I know my kids would have missed out on some very importent parts of life.I do not look down on any one that does, ( cause I know some that have done really well at teaching their kids), nor would I think any less of anyone that deceided that public/private school is good enough. I do not think the average parent is going to be able to give their kids the type of education that in todays world they need, and that would be an injustice in its self.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  6:42:49 PM  Show Profile
You have to do what is right for your family. I guess because I was homeschooled and because I fully intend on doing the same with my children I found the above post highly offensive. All you have to do is look at the statistics provided and you'll actually find that homeschoolers generally are far ahead of those in a public education. Of course you have those who don't do as well...but neither side can generalize this.
The biggest downfall to homeschooling is more in high school. Sometimes it was frustrating with chemistry and biology to not have as many resources available to you as a school could offer.
No one is perfect or an expert at everything, but I do think a parent can educate their child far better than someone who knows the child for an entire whopping 9 months out of a school year. Each child learns differently, each child needs a different amount of time spent one on one with them, each child will struggle in different area's. A parent has the ability to work with each childs needs whereas a teacher with 12-20 students and a 40 minute class period cannot fulfill those needs.
Surgery is dealing with a life and death matter in a human and would also be illegal to perform unless you had the special training. Teaching your child will not kill either of you and is legal for good reason.
This is just my opinion just as the other posts are somebody elses opinion.
You and your husband must establish together what is right for you and your children.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  7:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Sorry Misty, I did not mean to be offensive to anyone personaly. We were asked for our opinions, and I gave mine. My daughter is a middle school math teacher, she also tutors high school students, and collage students, and is very good at what she does. She has not failed a student yet, cause she makes it easy and fun to learn, and I hope its always that way for her. She loved school and hated vacation time, she had straight A's all the way thru collage, she graduated with honors from every level. I would have never done her justice, nor would she have gotten the scholarships she did with home schooling. Like I said, what ever works for your kids. I can also say I would not have had the time that my kids needed for home schooling, and that also would be wrong. I live on and own and work full time a farm/ranch.

Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  03:35:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the opinions, Ladies! When I posted the question I had no intention of starting any disagreements, and I thank everyone for their input and for remaining civil despite the differences in opinions. I know that only my husband and I can make the decision on whether or not we should home school and I appreciate hearing everyone's reasoning for the decisions they made in their children's education.

My husband and I were both educated in public schools and I think we turned out just fine. We both have college degrees and good relationships with our families. But looking back, I can see many instances that being in a different environment instead of public schools would have been more beneficial. Hopefully I can find a home-school group near us so that I can learn more about the pros and cons and opportunities available. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  05:56:56 AM  Show Profile
OK, I have been thinking about this post this morning as I went about my chores and I wanted to clarify something. In my original post asking for opinions on disadvantages of homeschooling, I was not clear that what I was really looking for were opinions from people who have experience home schooling, and I apologize for that. I know of many, many reasons that home schooling is not the right option for a number of people, and really, a lot of those reasons make sense to me and concern me as well. What I really need is help in seeing the side of experienced home schoolers, and finding out what the downfalls or weaknesses of home schooling were from their perspective.

I think that Teresa and Kelly have very valid arguments in why they do not believe home schooling is the best form of education from their perspective and I really appreciate you sharing your concerns!
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  06:22:25 AM  Show Profile
Toni,

I have been homeschooling all along. I really haven't seen any disadvantages. The worst thing about homeschooling is feeling like you have to justify yourself to others, sometimes complete strangers. I simply don't. I am not interested.

I love having my boys with me. I don't think of them as in the way. I also love being at home. When we do start to feel like we've been in the house too much we go out. The library is nice. They boys can look at books on their own and so can I. They know their way around a library. At our local library there is a checkers game set up and quite often one of my boys will be playing checkers with another child. So much for being unsocialized homeschoolers ;)

All the best with your decision. I'm sure you will do what is best for your family either way.

Tanna
Farmgirl #644

Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  08:34:40 AM  Show Profile
I will offer what little bit of experience I had with homeschooling. In theory, I LOVE IT!! I agree with the above poster who said that statistics show that kids who homeschool learn far more than their schooled counterparts. I registered my oldest DS as a homeschooler when he was in the first grade. He loved being home with me and his younger sibs. I was pregnant at the time and suffered severe hyperemesis (hospitalized many times) through out the entire pregnancy. The sickness made me depressed and because I was so ill we were house bound and not much teaching on my part was happening. I had great fantasies about homeschooling, that we would take weekly trips to the library, zoo, ice skating whenever we wanted, etc. Had I known what I know now, I would have just taken those months off and started when I was feeling better. Pressure from unsupportive family members (especially my controlling mother) caused me to enter him into public school. I felt so defeated.

I always kept the option open and still do. If we have a reason to do it, I know that it is always an option. I am fascinated by people who homeschool. I wish I was of the mental capacity that I could homeschool and have it be the best option for my family. For instance, I am a home body and happy to stay home and not see people for long periods, since being in school, I have found that all of my kids are VERY social kids and love and need the constant interaction with their friends/peers. Therefore, they are happier at school than they would be at home with me. I know this isn't the case for all kids. Last school year my son started middle school and I was on high alert and watching for signs of unhappiness on his part. He LOVES middle school. I was worried about bullies, etc. While we did have a few experiences with bullies the school handled it to my satisfaction and my son never had a moment of not wanting to go to school. He truly loves it.

Another reason I don't do it, I am NOT organized. For instance, since school let out for the summer, my house is a disaster area, and I have great difficulty getting organized while my kids are under foot making more messes. I enjoy the company of my kids, but the messy house really causes me anxiety. I wish I could just let it go and not worry about it, because I know lots of homeschoolers and regular moms who function with a messy house. I can't function though and have struggled all summer with it.

If you want to do it, I say go for it. Only you and your DH can decide if it is right for your family. I admire homeschoolers so much because while my kids are in school, I miss them. But for the reasons I stated, they are happier at school and I am a happier mom having the time and peace to get things accomplished.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  09:19:44 AM  Show Profile
Toni, ( I apoligize, but this is very long)

I have waited to write on this post because I know it can cause some controversy. We have six children and four of them went to public school and the last two were homeschooled. I can only speak for the situation in our area as far as experience with public school and home school. When we began there was a major decision being made at the state capital here in Texas reguarding the legal rights and restrictions on homeschooling. Homeschoolers were very active and the state decided it was constitutional and the restrictions were to be limited. Prior to this decision there were actually children taken from their parents and put in foster care just because they homeschooled and the harrasment from school authorities could be relentless. To be honest the Homeschool Legal Defense was quite busy for years after this decision defending the rights of homeschool parents. This all took place nearly twenty years ago.

In my situation, I decided to homeschool because I had spent a good many years dealing with the middle and high school here in this area and each year it became harder to even have an honest conversation with anyone who would admit to having any authority at the schools. I was told all kinds of nonsense just to get me out of the office. To be honest, I had to go up there unannounced or the principal and vice principal would hide out so they wouldn't have to answer any questions. One of my children was handicapped and hearing impared. All of the details would be too much to put on here, but all four children had issues of some degree that needed some form of communication to exist. To be clear they all made good grades and were never in any real trouble, but I was an active parent and the school became somewhat hostile to too much parental involvement. With that said, the grade school that they went to was great , except for some federal mandated teaching that I did not agree with. The school would always talk to me and I felt like my kids were safe there and I was still their primary authority.

I decided to homeschool the last two because I did not want to loose them to the system of the public schools, where in our area the parental authority was being overrided majorly in the high school. They were really not learning much of anything, and the school had become a dangerous place to some and the school was pretty much just interested in their showing up so they could just collect the state and federal money.

I know there are great teachers out there. I know they spent money and time to learn their profession and I would not want to insult any of them. Some of them are even my friends. I feel like the schooling decision is stricly the parents decision and there is more than an "education" that fuels the fire of controvery. I think like most of the giants we have to combat in this society it goes back to control and money. School started out as communities wanting to educate their children so they could all read and write and do basic math. Now it is a furnace that has to be fueled and the kids are getting left out and parents that want to be heard have a hard time getting someone to listen to them. There seems to never be enough money for shcools and the waste of money is astounding at least in our area.

There are lots of resources out there now for homeschooling and it is a great time to experience it. I think there are successes and failures
in private school, public school and homeschool. So I think it would be unfair to assume that any of the three is either all bad or all good.

With all of that said to answer the original question......yes I had some hard days. I expected a lot of myself and got really tired sometimes.
I had one child that could take a book and read it an answer all the questions and pass a test with no problem. I had another that could read a book and couldn't tell you a thing that it said. I don't it would matter which or where they went to school , I think it was just the way God made them. Some days I worried about things like what would happen to my kids If I died or got sick and they had to go to public school, and would they be accepted (there is a stigma on homeschoolers in most places). I had family members that did not like it and would constantly ask them questions to see if they were up to snuff. I even left a church because my daughters sunday school teacher came to our house and told me she did not think it was a good idea and I felt like my daughter was being targeted in church. So there are some hurdles to get over. Now my two youngest are grown with families of their own and they are very well adapted adults. I would not have traded the experience of homeschooling for anything in the world. I was so close to my last two all of the way through the high school years and it created a very tight bond. But I have to say homeschooling is not for everyone. I have had many a friend tell me that they can't wait for school to start so they can get away from their kids for a while and they would go crazy if they had to be with them all day every day. But if your heart tells you to homeschool then I would say don't miss out on a blessing. In my experience there will be good days and bad days no matter where your children go to school.

Sharlet
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  10:26:15 AM  Show Profile
I do not homeschool, but have friends who do--and in that regard, I would say this: the children I know that are homeschooled are incredibly intelligent children...but, honestly, a little too sheltered. Could be that it's just the parents, but I think it's more that they interact with so few other children, unless it's kids at their church, who are also homeschooled and somewhat sheltered :).

I note that most of the prev. posts are about the "now" of homeschooling but what about later on in life? We actually just had a case where an otherwise exemplary officer lost his job (of 5 years) because his homeschooling diploma did not fall under the state guidelines of a "state acredited high school diploma or GED Equivalent". He was homeschooled by his mother, the "principal" and taught largely religious doctrine with the exception of math, as demonstrated on his transcripts (the bible as literature for a literature requirement, creationism for biology requirements). Homeschooling is regulated in Kentucky only to the extent that they have to pass an equivalency examination when graduating, and that you provide "open records" and send in a quarterly transcript of studies (all falling under the state guidelines of math, science/biology, reading/english, etc.). Because of the very distinct wording and requirements for state jobs, he was unable to continue working unless he got a GED equivalent. He chose not to, based on principal. It certainly made me rethink homeschooling as far as future job choices for my child. There are lots of state/county/city affiliated positions out there that have these same requirements.

Will employers eventually be forced to review and revise applications and employment contracts with homeschooling becoming more prevalent in our society? I believe so, but I don't think it will come anytime soon.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  2:39:24 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, don't take this as a personal attack. I think your police officer should of been able to be a police officer regaurdless and understand his principle.

OTOH, you may not know this, but every state does have rules, and there is a website you can look up your states rules on. And it's up to each parent to make sure their cirr goes by their states laws. Also you can be sure you are going by your states laws, by simply public homeschooling. The public school system literally has a cirr you can get, directly from them for you to homeschool. And it's exactly as if they went to public school, but you did it at home.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  06:42:59 AM  Show Profile
I don't at all, Heather. I think he should have been able to be, too. It's that "gray" area that can't be refuted in contracts that allowed him to be suspended.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  7:04:45 PM  Show Profile
When my children started school, I wanted to homeschool but was afraid I wouldn't do a good enough job. I also worried about them being "well socialized" and all the other negatives commonly used.

My children went to a very good school that had good teachers. Some of whom I really liked. However, my children began to struggle and fall behind. Long story short, my DD would not even try to read, she would just cry and cry and say "I can't". Both children were way behind in certain subjects and nothing seemed to be working to help them. I finally pulled them from school knowing that I could not do any worse.

My children are still behind in certain areas, mainly spelling. But things are totally different. My daughter loves to read and constantly asks to go to the library. She does extra in math so she can get ahead. I do not for one minute regret homeschooling.

To answer your question...there are days that are hard. When my son is totally distracted, or when what should be done by noon takes until evening.

I believe that if a parent desires to homeschool, one of if not the, most important requirement is your own discipline. It is up to you to get the day started, make sure the work is being completed, make sure you are meeting any requirements, know your children's learning style, etc. But I also believe that there is so much curriculum and teacher helps out there it doesn't matter if you are good in that subject or even a great teacher or not. For instance, math is my worst subject, when they surpass me I will use a program that has each lesson/problem explained on a cdrom if the child needs the help. Math is my worst subject but that will hinder my children.

All of creation sings Your praise!
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2009 :  9:21:59 PM  Show Profile
Speaking as a single (not any more.yeah!) working, mother,I had very little time to home school my daughter when she faced a second year with a teacher in public school that she just did'nt get along with.

What I found was a homeschooling community in my area that had weekly math and science classes,spanish classes and general ed.Plus extra field trips and specialties.Our year of homeschooling was a sensational success.Then the homeschooling group came together to start a new Charter School, this she attended and flourished in until high school.

I found home schooling makes a much more self-sufficient, independant learner.Obstacles were to be overcome.What ever you could imagine opened up to you. I found it a very possitive experience, even if just for a short while.
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  12:14:02 PM  Show Profile
I've been home schooling for four years now. I don't think I would have started, or even considered it had there not been such a large support group in my area of fellow home school families. My children are 11,7,6 and almost 5. All boys. I teach the middle two at the same level because the six year old is ahead, and the 7 year old is behind. If the 7 year old were in school he'd likely have been held back, and likely would be accused of being ADD. As it stands however, he has fantastic self confidence and no concept of Ritalin whatsoever. He is an ace at Math, Science and History but is slow to read. That single thing is what the school system would likely "punish" him for. Because he's home he's learning at his pace, and I am teaching according to how he learns, not according to the standard of learning. My children have the great pleasure of getting together with 50 other home schooled children every week and taking P.E., Science and Art. They have neighborhood friends and frequent play dates. I am just NOW getting my groove, figuring out what works for us as far as schedule, teaching style, learning style, etc. In the beginning a friend told me it would take 3-5 years to get my rhythm, so I was not discouraged. The other thing that wise friend told me was this "try it for a year, if it doesn't work, put him back in school!" At the point only my oldest was school age.
What are the downsides? I think I struggle most with staying calm in my training and teaching, but that's also an issue in my "just parenting" as well. Likely your issues as a mother will translate over to your issues as a teacher. I LIKE my boys, I like having them working alongside me. I don't get tired of them. I keep them busy. Each person that comes across your child has a chance to imprint something into who they will become. Each TV show they watch has a chance to imprint on them as well. These are all things to consider and discuss as you chose which path you will take. What is your end goal? What kind of children do you want them to be when they are young adults? What is your plan to get there?
Good luck with whatever you decide, and remember, you can always change your mind!

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Man, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.
Go to Top of Page

piddlin sweetie
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Vickie
Kentucky
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  8:35:20 PM  Show Profile
My first thought would be to advise you to make a list of WHY you would like to homeschool and also make a list of why not or as your husband says the bad. Of course from your list it will give you a visual to really think about.

What is homeschooling for a parent?...........COMMITMENT!

IF you choose to follow thru and go with schooling your children at home you need to understand that you are committing to putting their education in your hands.. and that includes their future. You will have to make a plan and follow the guidelines for your state.

Its fairly easy and there are choices for what type of curriculum best suits your childs needs and your families. Your first years is your learning year.. or breaking yourself in year.

As for homeschoolers being labled "sheltered" or "un socialized" is a tad offensive.

I would also like to mention that now a days its very easy to follow thru with eduating your child at home all the way thru high school.. For example, we belong to a co op of over 200 families. At graduation.. yep that came after their formal dance(prom).... we had two graduates that were going on to the UNIVERSITY OF KY. with a high school degree from home. IF the guy who lost his job was unsure how his diploma was going to hold up.. he could have very well expanded his education and made the decision to continue his eduacation no matter his age.. you cant let examples like that deter you from homeschooling as for every "bad" story you hear there will be many many positive ones!

Just as for every good teacher you hear about there are bad ones out there too.. in public schools...

Lastly, let me say.. find a local group/co op and make a visit.. let parents who have been homeschooling for years talk WITH you and I am sure you will be told.. that they will help you in anyway they can... check out yahoo groups.. as that is what a lot of homeschool groups use as their tool of internet connection.. just search your state and the word homeschool.... check and see if there are any upcoming homeschool conventions in your area.. and go check one out...

My son is a product of a HORRIBLE PUBLIC school experience. Our main reason for choosing homeschooling. He is taught daily by ME.. his Teacher, Mother, and yes my title includes PRINCIPAL of our SCHOOL... he gets to go on lots of field trips.. we go weekly to our co op and he has CLASSES with other students and I get to have time with other parents, he gets to spend QUALITY time in the afternoon with his PAPS who one day will leave him.... we travel, he loves to talk, he plays with other kids.. sometimes our classroom is outdoors... oh i could go on.. but its what works for us.. and as long as I the PARENT hold MYSELF ACCOUNTABLE then he will do fine... I look forward to seeing him GRADUATE from HIGH SCHOOL with others in our CO OP... and getting his DIPLOMA from our ****** homeschool!

Our ONLY negative in homeschooling is sports.. some states have changed the laws to include homeschoolers.. but KY has not.. But then you think about it.. you have to be RICH or one of the BIG WIGS for your kid to start if they are not very very talented.. so whats warming the bench compared to finding pick up games and playing for our own team that our co op has...

hhmm come to think of it I think he is pretty well socialized in LIFE and the only sheltering he gets is from the BAD... and that is supposed to be a normal job for us parents anyways that is one of our duties in raising our kids to be well adjusted ADULTS.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9327 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9327 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  5:04:55 PM  Show Profile
I thought after reading the first few posts that maybe I wouldn't post. Now after reading all of them I have decided I will.
I homeschooled all three of ours. The older two were in public school then private school. We started homeschooling when our oldest was starting high school. We probably all have different reasons for why we have chosen to homeschool. I found that I wanted the loyalty my children were giving to their teachers. My husband and I believed that it was better for us to decide how our children would be taught and what they would be taught. No one knows your child like you the parent. We also felt it was our God given responsibility to do so. God gave us all the resources we needed for teaching our own children. I do not believe I failed my children by homeschooling. They did not miss out on socialization. They learned to interact with people of all ages not just their peers. I won't say it wasn't difficult at times but then there are times of difficulty in every school. All of my children are grown and contemplating homeschooling their own children. We did what we felt we should do with a clear conscience. My only regret was that we didn't know about homeschooling sooner so we could have started when they were younger.

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  10:22:42 PM  Show Profile
I have to say that I started home schooling my 3 kids this year and yes it has been a challenge! My son,Isaiah is in 2nd grade and my middle daughter,Hannah is in kindergarten and then my youngest,Olivia is 4 but she desperately wants to do school all of the time! Go figure! It does take a huge commitment because no matter what curriculum you use, you have to commit to some type of schedule and you can't just decide you don't feel like doing it today! I am still feeling my way through this as we only been at it a short time, but things continue to come together better and better! Two big reasons I decided to home school are, first we live 20 miles from school and Isaiah was gone from 7a.m. to 3p.m. and then he would have homework and there was no family time besides the fact that so often he would fall asleep on the way home on the bus. The second reason was that he was going to have about 30+ kids in his class and to me that is just too many to teach well! His teacher in 1st grade said there is no mastery of subjects any more and for the class sizes some kids will simply get left behind!

It can be very challenging some days and my kids are still working on the idea of seeing me as "teacher" and not just "mom" but it's worth it! The other thing about home school for me is that I can take them through stuff at their own pace and when they are excelling at some thing we can move ahead. I can also customize some subject to suit them better such as Isaiah hates math work sheets, but he loves to build and would measure and add all day long to cut wood. So I have come up with little building project and he doesn't even realize it's math too! I am able to make things more hands on which works so well for him and he is so smart.

My kids are all quite social and I must say that if the only interaction a child gets is at school then it's not good because realistically they are at school most of the day to learn and not play. My kids still play with friends in town and go to Sunday School and there is a home school group that we are getting involved with. I guess the one thing about home school is that you will absolutely get out of it what you put into it. There are so many different curriculum and home school groups and there is even virtual public school! The choices are endless and so are the opportunities!

Sorry this got kind of long, but I think if your heart is in it, go for it!! Gather up some info and try! You will never know what you can accomplish until you try! Someone once said "If you don't take a chance, then you have already failed!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  10:47:58 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 4HMomMaybe I take it personally that everybody thinks that they can teach...teaching is a profession, and I've worked hard to be the best teacher that I can be. Unfortunately, many people do not see teachers as professionals in the same light they see others with as much training (CPA, nurses, lawyers, etc.) I ask you this: If your child needed surgery, would you look it up on the internet and do it yourself? Like I said, I definitely do NOT want to offend anybody, but I have seen too many times when kids come to public school and are so far behind in math and science, that they really struggle and the whole experience is miserable.

Technically my field/profession is being a mother/homemaker/gardener, and tell you what, just about everybody apparently knows better than I do. Seems I'm fumbling along just fine though. I have good friends that are great teachers and people, and they do the best that they can within the guidelines an arbitrary gov't official has deemed appropriate for the year. But some of them really do have to teach to a test rather than encourage a child's love of learning.

As for a kid being behind in a subject and being thrust into a public school system... I think that is definitely an issue that parents need to take into account. I grew up near a family who homeschooled their kids until 6th grade, then sent them off to public school. Even in elementary school, that didn't exactly make sense to me. Especially in my very-clique-prone small town where even I never fit in, despite living there from 7yo-18yo. Some parents plan ahead and plan accordingly with the idea of public school in mind, some just don't want to bother with the effort of prepping their children for whatever their plan is (much like I'm sure you've had parents of children in your classes all up in arms about something that was totally within their control yet they didn't want to pony up to the responsibility, right? )

I was a product of the public school system, as was hubby, as was SIL, as was my sister. None of us had stellar experiences, I think death threats could count as not so great, among other things. It can totally depend on a particular school or school district and such as well - not everything is rosy in every schooling institution in the US.

Anyway. Bad things.

Right now, my challenge is figuring out what angle to go with. There's so. many. choices. out there. Different styles, different curriculums, everything. And meshing that with your children. I so want to go drop a few hundred dollars on some groovy books the kids and I would have a blast combing through, but I cannot justify the cost right now since we have zero income. Needs/necessities before wants.

Also, being around the kids all. the. time. As I think every mom knows, you're going to have those moments when you want to run screaming from the house. Which, I'm pretty sure, is going to happen whether you're hs'ing or not.

Too many choices for other things. If you're not in school during the middle of the day, you have a bunch of options for karate, swim lessons, playdates with friends, doing Meals on Wheels or visiting your local retirement home on a regular basis. I think things like that would be more difficult with a school/bus schedule to deal with.

Family being on your case about homeschooling. Whether it's working out for you spectacularly or not. I know my MIL's going to get into it at some point since all she knows is the school-at-home model, and that is so not me or my kids or our learning styles. Hubby has to be my buffer with her in that regard - something I've already discussed with him.

The continual criticisms of "socialization" and all that. Oy. Lots I can say about that, but I'm sure you all have heard it before. I'm raising my children to be productive adults, not raising my children to be children. Would I feel comfortable "sheltering" them from a fellow 6th grade boy telling my daughter he's going to "f" her brains out after lunch in the bathroom? Heck yeah (and yes, that happened several years ago to a neighbor's child, I won't even get into what I saw in school many years ago). That's all there is to it.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys and growing a new little sprout
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  4:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I don't understand why people think and/or worry that us homeschooled kids don't or didn't get enough socialization. I saw more of the world and was able to have so many more hands-on experiences and dealt with so many kinds of people than alot of kids when they were 12-15 years old. I started homeschooling when I was in 3rd grade after some very bad experiences in public school. I then went back to private school to try that out when we moved but it was not good. The teacher wanted to talk more about the dreams she was having or about her day than anything else. I was bringing home tons of homework and my mom said, "Why on earth am I paying for and sending you to a private school when I am doing all the work!" So back to homeschooling I went -- My dad travelled alot for work, and so I was able to have hands on history lessons etc. We went to various museums to make the learning fun as well. Of course, we had book work and math and science, etc. But if you are worried about socialization -- do also what we did... My brother (who homeschooled as well) and I were able to do martial arts or dance or something like that. I am a singer -- and I ended up on the stage in my own successful band playing around a HUGE town (Houston) and we will be playing in other towns and states soon. Trust me, it takes ALOT of confidence and will and strength to sometimes do what I do. I deal with ALL KINDS of people and book my own shows and talk to them all the time! Most people used to tell my parents that my brother and I seemed older than we were and were very well behaved as well as bright. Yes, it takes alot of patience and commitment as well as being calm ... but I am very glad my life went the way of homeschooling. I do not think I'd be the person I am today if I would've stayed in public school and even private school.

I get really tired of hearing about the socialization part. Yes, there may be some out there that do not get the kids out and do things and they never see any other kids, but on the other hand, I do feel some parents are really pushing their kids overboard going from one activity to the next. I definitely believe in balance. Also, I am probably (especially in TODAY'S WORLD!) going to homeschool my own.

If there are areas you don't feel confident in, you can always have a person tutor them in that area. Also, there is curriculum or schools online you can use and they can even graduate online as well. Just thoughts and ideas...

~~~~
http://nightbirdtrading.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  5:21:40 PM  Show Profile
Brooke, my point on kids not getting enough socialization was because what I saw first hand in the area where I live. Yes, my kids did public school as well as my grandkids, but the schools they attended were fine, at least at the time, I can't say my grandkids will attend public school all the way thru at this time, cause yes, times have changed. Many families home schooled back when my kids were in public school, and when they were done with classwork for the day they worked on their families farms/ranches with very little activites off the property. They were either very shy or agressive towards others because of it, not all, but a high percentage. I am not saying this is true of all areas, families or kids, but if the parents are not balencing properly, or do not have the time or money to put them in outside activities...., or they do not have the personality to teach or even the smarts, problems will occur.

Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  5:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Teresa, please understand I was/am not trying to single you out or am upset. Just want you to know. :)
Really, I just have heard it for years, and have been asked so many times. I have had friends I made back then
that I still have to this day.

I agree there are some out there that could have a problem and I do agree with balancing it out (as mentioned
in my last post). If there are good schools, I am all for it.

~~~~
http://nightbirdtrading.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Disadvantages of homeschooling?? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page